Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MaliciousOnion posted:

It may just be a red herring but the article specifically mentions Eldar, Dark Eldar, Orks, Tyranid and Kroot. No Tau, interestingly. Also,
  • new gear and vehicles
  • new homeworlds and backgrounds
  • new role - Ace (pilot)
  • xenos allies
  • xenos black market

I don't think it's actually that interesting/surprising- the Tau are on the wrong end of the galaxy relative to the Askellon sector, and they haven't thrown in a convenient warp gate like they did for Deathwatch. Kroot supposedly wander everywhere and take mercenary work with everyone so their inclusion makes sense, the Tau not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

With some creativity you can make Tau go anywhere, maybe using their Nicassar allies on experimental deep expeditions or something like that.

But yeah in the end Tau (and their battlesuits) doesn't really fit the theme of Dark Heresy.

...Illegal Tau weapons on the wrong hands however :getin:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Yeah, if you want to use Tau to create an atmosphere of fear and horror you use them on Only War pcs. Holy god that was brutal. :psyduck:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

frajaq posted:

With some creativity you can make Tau go anywhere, maybe using their Nicassar allies on experimental deep expeditions or something like that.

But yeah in the end Tau (and their battlesuits) doesn't really fit the theme of Dark Heresy.

...Illegal Tau weapons on the wrong hands however :getin:

I think Tau could work well if you're going for a more political game, like that Ciaphas Cain story.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Does it have 2nd Edition rules for the Slaught? They are my favorite xenos.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tau fit into DH, just not in a battlefield situation.

Infiltrating a converted Imperial world to acquire something fancy, extract someone valuable or destabilise the regime? Totally DH worthy endeavours that only feature battlesuits as things you run the gently caress away from.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

goatface posted:

...that only feature battlesuits as things you run the gently caress away from.

And/or steal.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Ronwayne posted:

Yeah, if you want to use Tau to create an atmosphere of fear and horror you use them on Only War pcs. Holy god that was brutal. :psyduck:

You motherless son of a grox. :orks:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I hope the mallius book has daemonhost pc rules. Though dark eldar are definitely the scariest of the eldar.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Uroboros posted:

Does it have 2nd Edition rules for the Slaught? They are my favorite xenos.

If they weren't mentioned in the xenos book I doubt they will appear :v:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Ronwayne posted:

Agreed, my group only survived by using blind grenades to get into melee. Like, I think it would've been basically impossible for us to wipe out the couple squads of fire warriors if we hadn't bought a bunch several sessions earlier on a whim, and I only killed a stealthsuit by radical use of a setpiece.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

The most common stats for them are from Deathwatch. They're statted as something for space marines to chew on, throw them at guard and well...

We survived because I had gone Sentry. Multilasers as a hipfired Laser MMG from hell put you at the same damage output, more or less.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
This week in BLACK CRUSADE:black101:, the heretics were very, very angry. The ork pirate Kaptin' Krunch had taken over their station, most likely eaten the skeleton crew that had remained, and goddammit he had the gall to do it while they weren't even there! The party decided that Krunch could NOT be allowed to mess with the station any longer lest he figured out how the murder guns worked and then they'd never get the station back. With the ship's engine at full blast, the heretics launched boarding torpedoes as a ruse. The torpedoes were actually empty. Instead the heretics decided to RAM THE STATION with their frigate.

Orks were already swarming aboard the station. The party burst into the area the orks had "renovated". Using their new powers, weapons, and abilities the heretics basically stomped over the ork defensive line and the mek Hammamiedes. However, the psyker did go to perils as he was pushing every single psychic ability he cast. As a result, he popped out of existence and no one had any clue where he went. With the ork line down, Kaptin' Krunch and his wyrdboy Fizzbang entered the fray.

Fizzbang was going to stomp on the renegade with the Foot of Gork, but the renegade had delayed his turn and used his half action to phase out of reality due to a mutation he had received a few months ago. Unfortunately in the battle, Krunch eviscerated the heretek with his powa' klaw. It didn't actually kill the heretek at the time. But then the psyker popped back into existence, rolled perils again and everyone went up and dropped 9 metres. This DID kill the heretek. While the apostate was a coward and just stayed back, his shooter minion with the multilaser nearly took Krunch down. Only for the renegade to come back and use an inferno pistol while flying past him. Then Fizzbang's head exploded as psychic scream is a messy power.

With the orks dead and routed, the heretics slammed the crystal into the engine and brought it up to full power. Otherworldly screams echoed in the minds of the party and the very station trembled with its new power. A new semi-permanent portal to the warp opened, bringing the eventual death of billions. For this last final act, and the journey that the heretics have been through. They finally received the full attention of the dark gods. Their ascension into true daemonhood has begun.

Iranitev, apostate galore was rewarded by Slaanesh with daemonhood for all of his wiles and ability to convince large numbers of people to due suicidal insane things.

Asmodius, the little renegade that could, was split between Nurgle and Slaanesh. Neither had dominion over his soul, but he still partially ascended anyway. Sometime in the far future, he probably had to choose which god to follow.

Ozmahn Kell was ascended by T'zeentch for his psychic abilities. Many heads exploded, and many orks found their fiery doom.

Destructantor died in the final battle due to gravity. And an ork. But mostly it was gravity's fault. No daemonhood for the heretek, but in a good news/bad news sort of way, they did entomb him in a daemon engine. So good for him.

Bloodtruly began his ascension into daemonhood with Nurgle. Because who else is going to take the scrunt with his head in his chest that vomits chaos everywhere. It's disgusting. Khorne doesn't want that.

And finally Cicero Kyrez, space mariner sorcerer. His ascension was unknown (he missed the final session). But most likely received some of the infinite knowledge of the warp and the universe that he was looking for.

So the Black Crusade campaign that has been running for almost a year finally drew to a close. This is the second 40kRPG campaign I've run that has managed to finish out its run. I have to say, it's been fun. The actions that some players frown upon such as doing really dumb, evil things is actually rewarded by the system with corruption. The dumb stupid heroic things (when they survive) are rewarded too with more infamy. I was hesitant to give the players absolute freedom in the world as players without a clear goal with what they want to be doing and how to do it, tend to meander around aimlessly. That sort of wandering isn't a lot of fun from either a player's point of view, or a GM. I initially anticipated the players trying to be sneaky and infiltrate Imperial worlds to bring them down. it didn't actually happen that way at all. Most of the time, the group figured out the best way to deal with things was JUST MURDER IT ALREADY. I think that at the very least, they got into the "mindset" of a band of heretics.

There were a few characters that I never really could figure out what the hell to do with. The accidental daemonhost that was created in the third session kept bouncing around the game sometimes. I was kind of saving him for a "deus ex machina" moment, but the group never needed it. Explosions and melta guns solve most problems a heretic encounters in the 40k universe. Additionally, a party with a psyker, sorcerer, and guys with melta/heavy weaponry is capable of putting out an absurd amount of damage. I think I was really used to Dark Heresy/Rogue trader where there's usually a limit on the amount of firepower that a party can carry at any given time. The "boss" characters I designed usually had to have either massive pools of health or some way of limiting the amount of damage they could receive each turn. But the game was still fun. I would like to see a different style of party. Maybe entirely humans or entirely space marines. Just to change how a story would work out.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Werix posted:

And I am worst of all.

I swear I still intend to come back, some day. Despite having fallen in love, changed countries, and gotten employed twice after going on a temporary hiatus.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Game was a lot of fun, I had more fun being a feeble and meek coward with a silver tongue and entourage of murderous insane minions than I have RPing before, aside from choosing to be a lawful good Paladin among a group of generic chaotic evil D&Ders

I literally ended the game with my most potent offense asset being a las pistol with 35 ballistics but with enough fellowship to make it all work

I highly recommend the archetype to anyone. Stay alive is #1 priority, you're there to talk! Try to never fire a shot in anger and leave it to your minions, while forcing yourself to be creative to be useful (I recommend Chymistry). Mad science for the chaos gods!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gaghskull posted:

With the ship's engine at full blast, the heretics launched boarding torpedoes as a ruse. The torpedoes were actually empty. Instead the heretics decided to RAM THE STATION with their frigate.

Have you checked to see if your heretics are actually orks?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

The Big 4 would never admit it but they acknowledge the greenskins have any number of wonderful ideas.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

As another player in that game, I also found it to be extremely fun. I decided to play a somewhat standard Tzeentchian Psyker, with the caveat that I was also a Scrunt. Thanks to Child of the Warp, the Apostate's dog was always afraid of me and thanks to Dark Soul, so was the rest of the world. Psyker is a whole lot of fun to play, but I would caution that you need to take Favored by the Warp ASAP to really reduce how bad things can get when you roll for Phenomena. Rolling twice is always better than rolling once especially when you're adding 30 to your phenomena rolls (as Child of the Warp lets you Push even farther to +6.)

It is true that Psykers do invalidate a number of encounters (Wind of Chaos is absolutely broken, by the way) but that is very much balanced by their ability to invalidate themselves, too. And their utter inability to stand up to anything that decides to focus fire on them (which the Sorcerer does circumvent). In that final encounter, had I taken the other Psychic Phenomena roll that resulted in Perils, I would have rebounded a Psy Rating 13 Psychic Scream back onto myself, which probably would've done 3x my wounds in damage.

The Lone Badger posted:

Have you checked to see if your heretics are actually orks?

That would've been a terribly hilarious reveal at the end for us all to actually be Orks posing as heretics, but we actually believed in our disguises so much that we became them. Regardless, we wanted to fight fire with fire - originally we thought to just ram the station with the ship and board. But then I realized it might be a lot more fun if we launched boarding torpedoes too as a fake out! Sadly, we were not able to corral the murder servitors living in our pipes into the boarding torpedoes for that extra oomph, but the torpedoes did actually provide us a screen for our incredibly orky maneuver.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Have any of you guys run missions or endeavors that have lead to really hard moral dilemma that were interesting to play out? I'm toying with the idea of a DH mission where the players are told to stop an illegal xenos weapon smuggling ring to a small world in Blah Blah Sector.

Seems pretty straight forward, but when they get there they realize the people on the planet are constantly being attacked by the dangerous wildlife, and are being killed in droves. The few survivors rely on these smuggled xenos weapons (at great cost) to try and defend themselves. Any sanctioned weapons are destroyed or too rare to rely on, and this planet is a low priority for IG security or mech help at the moment. I thought it would be interesting to flip things at the last minute on players to make them really think if they should drop the inquisitional boot as hard as they've been ordered, and how they will have to cover or evade inquisitional reprisal if they dont.

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 11, 2015

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

LuiCypher posted:

As another player in that game, I also found it to be extremely fun. I decided to play a somewhat standard Tzeentchian Psyker, with the caveat that I was also a Scrunt. Thanks to Child of the Warp, the Apostate's dog was always afraid of me and thanks to Dark Soul, so was the rest of the world. Psyker is a whole lot of fun to play, but I would caution that you need to take Favored by the Warp ASAP to really reduce how bad things can get when you roll for Phenomena. Rolling twice is always better than rolling once especially when you're adding 30 to your phenomena rolls (as Child of the Warp lets you Push even farther to +6.)

It is true that Psykers do invalidate a number of encounters (Wind of Chaos is absolutely broken, by the way) but that is very much balanced by their ability to invalidate themselves, too. And their utter inability to stand up to anything that decides to focus fire on them (which the Sorcerer does circumvent). In that final encounter, had I taken the other Psychic Phenomena roll that resulted in Perils, I would have rebounded a Psy Rating 13 Psychic Scream back onto myself, which probably would've done 3x my wounds in damage.

That would've been a terribly hilarious reveal at the end for us all to actually be Orks posing as heretics, but we actually believed in our disguises so much that we became them. Regardless, we wanted to fight fire with fire - originally we thought to just ram the station with the ship and board. But then I realized it might be a lot more fun if we launched boarding torpedoes too as a fake out! Sadly, we were not able to corral the murder servitors living in our pipes into the boarding torpedoes for that extra oomph, but the torpedoes did actually provide us a screen for our incredibly orky maneuver.

The first real nemesis we faced is the only one we never defeated, and in fact did a lot of the messy work for us when our ship got invaded. Almost all of it, in fact

I like to think that when we ascend they will claim the station for themselves, and it will become a mecca for murder servitors across the lands. Slaneesh knows that half of them are probably half Ork right now thanks to all the suspicious things LightBot caught them doing with dragging bodies away and what not

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Have any of you guys run missions or endeavors that have lead to really hard moral dilemma that were interesting to play out? I'm toying with the idea of a DH mission where the players are told to stop an illegal xenos weapon smuggling ring to a small world in Blah Blah Sector.

Seems pretty straight forward, but when they get there they realize the people on the planet are constantly being attacked by the dangerous wildlife, and are being killed in droves. The few survivors rely on these smuggled xenos weapons (at great cost) to try and defend themselves. Any sanctioned weapons are destroyed or too rare to rely on, and this planet is a low priority for IG security or mech help at the moment. I thought it would be interesting to flip things at the last minute on players to make them really think if they should drop the inquisitional boot as hard as they've been ordered, and how they will have to cover or evade inquisitional reprisal if they dont.

yeah that sounds good do that

just don't ramp up the nuanced moral aspect if your players want to be all jackbooted thugs, and conversely don't be all "welp, the imperium kills you" if they decide they wish to help the pseudodeathworlders, and it should be fun

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If you're worried that they're too far/not far enough along the "all xenos must be purged" axis, keep slapping more levels of intrigue on there.

They're not trading with xenos, they're just letting people believe that because it's generally treated slightly less harshly than the tech-heresy they're actually dealing with/engaging in.

The animals on the planet are unnaturally ferocious because they've been designed that way. The whole planet is actually a renegade inquisitor's testing ground, aiming to discover which of the local xenos species are best/worst equipped to fight tyranids, feral orks or some other naturally tough race that's causing problems. They drive off the traders once they have enough data and then herd some more in.

The reason that human weapons fail a lot on the planet is because the whole planet is infested with nano-bots that like to eat human tech. The failure of an anti-secessionist weapon being designed X centuries ago by a rogue tech priest, now being looked at with interested by a Necron Lord who wants to annoy some of his peers.

Just layer it on.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I'm thinking maybe I should shape this as the petty rivalry between two inquisitors that has devolved into an arms race. One who's unleashing more and more devestating creatures, and one who keeps trying to dump in more and more devestating weapons.

The players are being sent in to bust the weapon smuggling because their inquisitor is trying to wipe out this colony that belongs to his rivalry. Of course the players have no idea about any of this. Just another tool in this petty one-upmanship :allears:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Thought for the day: A good soldier obeys without question. A good officer commands without doubt.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ronwayne posted:

A battlesuit commander infected by the Obliterator virus was a secondary villain in my old Rogue Trader game. The Tau inside had no idea anything was wrong and couldn't understand why his commanders had turned on him.

Take away their big toys and I'd imagine they could fit fine into a more political kind of game, or as agents of subversion and rebellion with a mighty big fist waiting for those who decline the open hand.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Give in and have them be the imperial japan to the catholic nazis.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Greater East Ultima Segmentum Co-Prosperity Sphere.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

So yeah a robot in a dress made called me a racist.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Ronwayne posted:

So yeah a robot in a dress made called me a racist.

Ronwayne posted:

Pandora

Pandora says nothing for a moment, just making notes. <<Hey hey now, you two, you gotta promise me when the time comes you won't fight each other for the chance to knock the little fashion doll off her 12 centimeter heels and into a garbage disposal. Even in the infinitely churning boils of the warp or in real space, one rule holes true: Humans with insufficient amounts of melanin should not have dreadlocks.>>

You are the one that essentially said "only black people should have dreadlocks". So yeah, my blood thirsty killer tech priest is a member of the "don't be a biggot club."

(Unless they're eldar, gently caress those pansy, tree loving points.)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

You're right I take it all back.

But to find mutual ground, I'm going to say no one, at all, should ever have a top knot, but that doesn't stop 40k folks either.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Try telling that to Abbadon or the entirety of the White Scars chapter. I'll watch from back here.

A planet away.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
:orks: Don't forget the hair squigs either!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The dark truth of the 40k universe is that the dominant lifeform is actually the Topknot, and most other races are just unwitting hosts. Topknots typically maneuver their hosts into positions of greater power and control so to further the Topknot agenda, and frequently skirmish with rival clans.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The Imperi... Astra Militarum is dedicated to rooting out the topknot wherever they can find it. Through both practical and stylish headgear, the Astra Militarum will prevail and obey the ultimate commandment.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ashcans posted:

The dark truth of the 40k universe is that the dominant lifeform is actually the Topknot, and most other races are just unwitting hosts. Topknots typically maneuver their hosts into positions of greater power and control so to further the Topknot agenda, and frequently skirmish with rival clans.

I think you've been watching the Tick too much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUh--z5_ryg

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ronwayne posted:

Give in and have them be the imperial japan to the catholic nazis.

Alternatively, play up the Tau as the naive newcomers to the galaxy, still innocent and childish enough to think science, reasoning, and rationality can prevail in the universe. The Imperium long ago learned that they cannot, just as the eldar and necrontyr did in their turn.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Werix posted:

Try telling that to Abbadon or the entirety of the White Scars chapter. I'll watch from back here.

A planet away.
The funny thing about topknots is that not only do they look doofy on most people, but they were not actually a Mongol thing in the first place. If you're going to dress for the steppe, complete with fur hat, how does a topknot fit there? I'm guessing that topknots became a thing solely due to the early art being in the style of 80s metal album covers, and afterwards things just kinda stuck as they often did in 40K lore.

Edit: Some of the art seems also to riff on styles the Mongols picked up from the Chinese after establishing the Yuan dynasty.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 14, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Alternatively, play up the Tau as the naive newcomers to the galaxy, still innocent and childish enough to think science, reasoning, and rationality can prevail in the universe. The Imperium long ago learned that they cannot, just as the eldar and necrontyr did in their turn.

I think that's my preferred interpretation of the Tau with one exception:

Since they barely have a warp signature, don't have psykers and don't seem to corrupt chaotically, they might actually get away with it, provided some tweeking.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hard counter posted:

I think that's my preferred interpretation of the Tau with one exception:

Since they barely have a warp signature, don't have psykers and don't seem to corrupt chaotically, they might actually get away with it, provided some tweeking.

My take on it is that they don't have psykers yet. But they're playing around with the Warp, and even staying in the shallow end of the pool they're getting wet. It's only a matter of time before their warp signature grows and psykers start to appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Tau have been genetically tampered with to suppress their warp presence. That will not hold around sustained exposure real warp stuff, which treats genetics as calm suggestions at best.