Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mikl posted:

Really sweet. Actually, I'd say too sweet, it probably needs a more salty component to contrast with the apple juice's sweetness. Next time I'll probably try mixing apple juice and vegetable stock in 1:1 ratio and use that to cook the risotto, rather than some stock, then all juice.

For some reason the Japanese idea of western food is always to make it way sweeter

Kyte posted:

Dunno if you're american but IIRC the japanese are often very surprised at just how sweet american (and possibly western in general) sweets are, so the recipe might've assumed a milder version of the apple juice.
And then they go and make LOAVES OF BREAD super sweet and put sweet ketchup in noodles and omelets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

For some reason the Japanese idea of western food is always to make it way sweeter

And then they go and make LOAVES OF BREAD super sweet and put sweet ketchup in noodles and omelets

Is that why people in anime eat bread without anything to go with it?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

The absolute worst is a certain Korean bakery chain's garlic bread. Looks and smells like the buttery, savory, garlicky goodness you know and love.

Then you take a bite out of it and find that it's been absolutely covered with sugar that is barely melted so you can't see the goddamn candy shell encasing the garlic butter coated slice of bread. :barf:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ketchup on omelets is legit but "Pasta Neapolitan" is an abomination.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Ketchup and eggs is loving gross.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

pnumoman posted:

The absolute worst is a certain Korean bakery chain's garlic bread. Looks and smells like the buttery, savory, garlicky goodness you know and love.

Then you take a bite out of it and find that it's been absolutely covered with sugar that is barely melted so you can't see the goddamn candy shell encasing the garlic butter coated slice of bread. :barf:

Oh God.

Paris Baguette's garlic bread is hard as tack and sweeter than garlic bread has any right to be.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

KoB posted:

Ketchup and eggs is loving gross.

Nothing wrong with using ketchup on omelettes though I usually prefer a bit of hot sauce instead usually.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
putting ketchup on hotdogs is also incredibly wrong

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Hotdog bread. Bread of champions. Yes, it's literally a hotdog with dough wrapped around it, but idgaf.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Xelkelvos posted:

Hotdog bread. Bread of champions. Yes, it's literally a hotdog with dough wrapped around it, but idgaf.

That sounds like an Anne's Pretzel abomination.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Alright, wasn't expecting that, although I did have a bit of a suspicion that xiaolongbao were going to make their way in somehow. They sort of did, so I'm claiming a partial victory.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Hot dog bread is fine. Japanese breads are sweet but they don't eat bread nearly as often. It's the exact same idea as a donut.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Hahahaha Souma is really good at picking the best guys for the job.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

That dish in today's chapter looks really good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

LorneReams posted:

It's a lot less greasy since it's baked and not fried and the soft sweetness of the bread actually goes will with the firm savoriness of the hotdog

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Alright, wasn't expecting that, although I did have a bit of a suspicion that xiaolongbao were going to make their way in somehow. They sort of did, so I'm claiming a partial victory.

drat you for making me look that up and then following it to siyopao (or however the gently caress Filipinos decide to spell it today) and making me crave some.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pewdiepie posted:

That dish in today's chapter looks really good.

Yeah it made me hungry reading it, which is always a good sign. A shame that the "moon" filling would be really hard to make yourself.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

LorneReams posted:

It's not, because it's actually good!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Xelkelvos posted:

It may just need less sweetness overall so you'd just need to water down the apple juice or possibly some apple cider vinegar to cut the sweetness with a sour component (or lemon if vinegar isn't your thing). Different countries and different brands make apple juice a little differently which may be part of the discrepancy. I would be a little wary about extra vegetable stock unless you felt that the dish wasn't salty enough as a whole, but the sweetness of the whole thing probably made that hard to gauge.

trip report: I cut martinelli's apple juice with lemon juice and water at a 2:1:1 ratio (the extra water added because martinelli's is particularly sweet) and it made the resulting risotto amazingly sweet and sour.

I also used diced gala apple which weren't particularly flavorful, but after a light lemon wash they added a good amount of tang to the risotto.

E: Though, I kinda wish I hadn't added apple cider vinegar into it near the beginning. Not a big fan of vinegar, don't know why I even put it in...

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 3, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
This was a good chapter.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It certainly has one of those pages that'll be reposted forever in 1-page threads.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

LorneReams posted:

Hotdog buns are how you evaluate whether a Chinese bakery is any good, along with trying their egg tarts and coconut buns.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No, no, it's the shredded pork bun, egg tarts, and cocktail buns. Especially the first, not a lot of bakeries get the right amount of scallion oil right.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I just looked at what he's done and he's the new voice of ZATO1 in Guilty Gear... that last boss type guy in Samurai Champloo... holy poo poo DIO?!

Please say his Manga appearances take on something worthy of the DIO voice

Did you mean Anime? Because if so, I have two words for you: CABBAGEEEEEEE PINKUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Just noticed some people talking poo poo about Pasta Napolitan, it's good you philistines.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The new episode was fantastic, such great timing on the gags with the Bento shop owner.

"That's it!!" "This?" "No, not that, but THAT'S IT!"

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
gently caress, I forgot about the Karaage arc.

Excuse me while I go buy all the ingredients to make karaage again.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Will you describe your process to make them and take pictures along the way?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Watching that episode hungry made me get takeout Chinese General chicken, something I had not done for MONTHS. Also, don't miss post credits as they decided to put 5 minutes of plot there for some reason.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Mraagvpeine posted:

Will you describe your process to make them and take pictures along the way?

I'll try to. If anything, I'll at least show the finished product. Unfortunately, I forgot I had plans this weekend, so I'll have to wait until Sunday or Monday.

Honestly, it's easier than you would think it'd be. For reference, I'll be using this recipe again as a guideline.
http://norecipes.com/recipe/karaage-recipe/

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Did you mean Anime? Because if so, I have two words for you: CABBAGEEEEEEE PINKUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Cabbage pinku was fantastic but I want more

He has the feeling of a character that will be important eventually thankfully

Luminaflare posted:

Is that why people in anime eat bread without anything to go with it?

Japanese bread is essentially cake yes

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
new chapter's up: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shokugeki-no-Soma/Chapter-130?id=238135

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

gently caress you Sempai indeed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Day 5 is just going to be Kuga proving why he's in the Elite 10. Seems pretty obvious from the fact they left a day for him to demolish Soma, especially when he gets Eizan's help.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the glasses guy should consider a career as announcer

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Day 5 is just going to be Kuga proving why he's in the Elite 10. Seems pretty obvious from the fact they left a day for him to demolish Soma, especially when he gets Eizan's help.

I thought he had a favour from the first seat? Either way Kuga is definitely winning Day 5, but maybe a victory in Day 4 can be enough to challenge him to a match anyway.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I thought he had a favour from the first seat? Either way Kuga is definitely winning Day 5, but maybe a victory in Day 4 can be enough to challenge him to a match anyway.

The other option I see is Soma's crew ends up failing on day 5 because they have to prevent Alice's team from getting expelled.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

The other option I see is Soma's crew ends up failing on day 5 because they have to prevent Alice's team from getting expelled.

Team Alice is the B Plot of this arc and they're going to get the job done themselves through the power of friendship and teamwork. :colbert:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Team Alice is the B Plot of this arc and they're going to get the job done themselves through the power of friendship and teamwork. :colbert:

The fact we've seen nothing from them since Day 1 leads me to believe something is gonna go down on day 5.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Angry Grimace posted:

Alice is totally going to win the entire competition and accidentally get Souma and Megumi expelled. Until she just buys all his food with the power of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Team Alice is the B Plot of this arc and they're going to get the job done themselves through the power of pouty faces