Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Post-revival he's immune to all elements that comp can spit out, but also has the lowest PDef so that's when you really lay on with the swords and stuff. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The real trick to that team is not rolling dancer or dragoon.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Should i even bother to roll with a bard? I was thinking rdm rdm when brd

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Captainsalami posted:

Should i even bother to roll with a bard? I was thinking rdm rdm when brd

Keep the Bard. Your team is going to be light on offense, but great on defense, and that's exactly the situation where Bards go from just good to amazing.

EDIT: Oh, you mean your team comp for the Fire-Earth stretch? Yeah, redx2 is probably the way to go.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Romeo's Ballad is a solid reason to always have a Bard with you, at least for random encounters. That song on its own is better than many other classes' entire skillset.

OzFactor posted:

Yeah, it's definitely doable, but it's so hard I gave up. I'm pretty sure it's not possible to get the timing perfect to just let it run, even with three hasted and max speed singers, so you just have to stare at him hard with your finger over the Sing button and mash it as soon as he changes color to indicate he's un-stopped. It's basically a reflex test, 200 times in a row. If you have a good team like Ranger and Mystic Knight to go with your Bard so you don't have to hit him so many times, I think it's definitely doable. Even if it takes a long time, it's not impossible, but it is the opposite of fun.

Every new thing I hear about the mobile version makes it sound just a tiny bit worse.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Every new thing I hear about the mobile version makes it sound just a tiny bit worse.

It sounds great if you're just loving around with a normal FFV playthrough, but a lot of FJF tricks and loopholes aren't really feasible with mobile.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Bregor posted:

It sounds great if you're just loving around with a normal FFV playthrough, but a lot of FJF tricks and loopholes aren't really feasible with mobile.

Yeah, pretty much. Most of the glitches and stuff are completely unnecessary for a standard run (because honestly, if you can't handle vanilla FF5 with over a dozen different broken-rear end jobs at your disposal, you really aren't as good at the game as you think), and are really only used to lighten the burdens placed by the limitations of FJF runs. For standard-game Omega and Shinryu, you really don't need Stoplocking exploits; just pick the classes that are most effective at handling them and wipe the floor with them (well, OK, that involves a little bit of Stoplocking for Omega while you set up, most likely for Thundaga Sword Rapid Fire and maybe a bit of Chemistry).

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
So if I'm doing a #RegChaos run for my second go through, do I still tweet him #Water, #Fire, #Air, etc as I get to them?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

GreenMetalSun posted:

So if I'm doing a #RegChaos run for my second go through, do I still tweet him #Water, #Fire, #Air, etc as I get to them?

Yup

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Dancer, Bard, Time Mage, Dragoon. (Hn... hnnnnnnnnnngh)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Sounds like a fun endgame team. The first two worlds will be really slow, though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, World 1's not bad because Time Mages can break rods and you're allowed to run 3 of them until you hit the earth crystal. You also got the easiest Omega setup!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Eh, World 1's not bad because Time Mages can break rods and you're allowed to run 3 of them until you hit the earth crystal. You also got the easiest Omega setup!

Unless he's running the fiesta mod, in which case one of those Time Mages will have to be a Dragoon (I'm guessing, anyway, since Gilgabot rearranges jobs in the order they're obtained to minimize Freelancer time, and Dragoon is named before Dancer when you get the last four). But that's certainly not a bad thing either, since Dragoon's heavy armor and physical ability will come in handy for the tail end of the Archeoaevis fight. Plus you effectively can't lose the Soul Cannon fight since Dragoon can just Jump over Surge Beams.

Either way it'll be a monstrous endgame team. Bard and Time Mage are both insane.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

How does that work against Omega?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

GreenMetalSun posted:

Quickleaking. To summarize, the HP Leak status (inflicted by Bio/Venom Rods among other things) normally lasts for a certain number of "ticks" in battle, doing one damage per tick. Absolutely nothing is immune to this status - enemies with the Heavy tag (which are bosses most of the time) automatically cap the tick duration at 30, but what's interesting is that ticks occur and yet are not expended while a character is affected by Quick. And Quick, of course, grants two bonus actions before it expires. The usual strategy, then, is to cast Quick then break a Venom Rod on the enemy's face, which may deal damage or heal the enemy (depending on its elemental absorption/negation towards poison). At this point the character has one more bonus action and...lets "time" (in the Quick status) run. Potentially for a few hours. At which point the enemy in question dies. Some enemies, such as Omega, have innate Wall status and therefore will require reflecting the effect onto them. But if you're going up against Omega then scrounging up a Reflect Ring at worst requires an excursion to Istory Falls.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I am quickleaking Omega as we speak. I'll keep you updated on this riveting situation as it unfolds.

Did I say riveting? I meant glacial.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
There's a reason I opted to just brute force Omega and Shinryu despite having a Time Mage in one run. Though to be fair, I also had a Bard that run, so at least Omega was cake. Shinryu not so much since I could Berserk him but not blind him or run Golem, but it was still quicker than the grossly-misnamed Quickleaking tactic.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well if you called it Slowleaking people would also get the wrong idea. :v:

e: Idly, I wonder if Gilgabot would get grumpy if you tweeted crystals out of order.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I was thinking more about random encounters. This team doesn't have a very high damage output until world 3, so fights will take a while.

GreenMetalSun posted:

Bard and Dancer are a great combo for taking down Omega. Romeo's Ballad leaves him unable to do anything, and Dance gets past his ridiculous defense.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
How would a Knight/Summoner/Ranger/Samurai beat Omega? I'm really bad at this fight. :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

How would a Knight/Summoner/Ranger/Samurai beat Omega? I'm really bad at this fight. :v:

That's a tough one. Three people slinging Phoenix Downs and one Rapid Fire Chicken Knifer plinking away probably? Find the right combo of Hermes Sandals/Flame Rings versus Aegis Shields/Flame Shields that work for you and try and get lucky. Carbuncle might help, and maybe Phoenix? Also Lamia's Tiara, Bone Mail, and Genji Armor can help against confusion from Rocket Punch.

Also I just re-reg'd a normal run and got Monk / Time Mage / Ranger / Samurai. I'm gonna Job Fair Samurai into Dragoon so that I'll have had every job in this year's Fiesta. Probably my last run too. :smith:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

The best strategy I can come up with is Hermes Sandals on everyone and then constantly resummon Carbuncle. The thing about Omega is that every attack you do provokes two counter attacks, four if you're using Rapid Fire. However, after a few turns Omega will always cast Search and then only target the character he hit with that until his next turn is done. That means that if you reflect Search back on him, you essentially get two rounds where you can attack him with impunity because he will only target himself with his counter attacks.

The downside to this strategy is that even with three Rapid Fire users, it'll probably take two or three castings of Search before Omega is dead, and a lot can go wrong in the meantime. Earthquake will kill your entire party, and the combination of Maelstrom and Wave Cannon is incredibly deadly as well, so you'd have to retry quite a few times before the RNG is in your favour. If you don't think it's worth it, feel free to move on.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Finished the 750 Blue/Time/Geo/Chem run with the triple kill.

Had plenty of elixirs so just decided to double everyones HP, even though Guardian effectively does that on its own. Then just chucked Aerogas and Wind Slashes at everyone. I think I missed killing the three front parts simultaneously by that much just due to damage variations, since the next turn Vac and Almagest died. Probably going to try and get my wife to play one last run before the end.

e:

quote:

I'm gonna Job Fair Samurai into Dragoon so that I'll have had every job in this year's Fiesta

I think thats the first time I've ever seen someone say that. I hope RK puts in the info graphic if you're the only one.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 8, 2015

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Started a test run of double -natural (Each character takes two jobs from their crystal, must combine them)

It leads festive places.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think thats the first time I've ever seen someone say that. I hope RK puts in the info graphic if you're the only one.

Me too :black101:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I've had nearly every job through 9 runs, myself. The only two I haven't gotten this year are Monk and Red Mage (though I did have to JF for Time Mage). I am... actually pretty drat OK with that.

Then again, I do want to do one more run after this. So there's still a chance of getting both of them. Gulp.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 9, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

FeyerbrandX posted:

I did it in 2013. :colbert:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Cripes, why can't there be a way to get a full set of Kornago Gourds for the whole team? I mean sure, you could just swap the one around, but that's a huge pain.

As it is I'm going to have to get creative to swipe Omniscient's. I figure having one character casting Remora until it sticks and having the other immediately follow up with Thief Knife is my best shot. And on the plus side, if I grab his common steal instead, I can always hit him when he's not paralyzed for a quick Reset.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Despite not having much trouble with Byblos my first run where I had Monk/Berserker, I had some trouble with it this run. Then again I did try to take it on at level 12, and some grinding to 18 made the fight winnable. It mostly just seems to come down to two things: make sure you have enough HP to take a couple of Wind Slashes, and deal more damage through Focus than he can heal with Drain.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
Got through my first ever fiesta run with the decent but not spectacular team of Kn/TM/Geo/Dan ... Time mage stole the show with quick combining surprisingly well with chicken dancing.

Decided to try a #regchaos run to keep at it... 3 dragoons and a chemist. Winnable maybe but gently caress that.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Where's a good place to level in world 3 for somebody without a lick of AOE damage? Is it still easier to just grab the magic lamp and fight near the lamp-regeneration point in the dwarven cave? I probably don't need to level all that much but I'm too lazy to bother with NED at level 27.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Man, even though I'm able to run 2 time mages throughtout the entirety of world 1, I still decided to begin the game with all 4 classes at the beginning. Probably from see8ng all the solo LPs going on, I wanted to try the gane out with classes before you could get them. I've been enjoying it so far!

I'm only gimped by bard until right before the earth crystal, which is when I'd have unlicked it anyway. I'll also chose not to use mix and coin toss until after the earth crystal, cause both of those can really break the game.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I was browsing the FJF subreddit today (yes, yes, I know), and I came across this post. Apparently, the Tinklebell's damage formula is kind of wonky to the point where if you use it with Rapid Fire, it will outperform the Chicken Knife. The people on the subreddit couldn't figure out why, and the Algorithm Guide doesn't provide a satisfying answer either, so I thought I'd ask the experts in this thread. Does anyone know what causes this strange behaviour?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It's pretty clearly hypothesized, and sounds right: the Tinker Bell isn't halving M due to Rapid Fire. Consequently I think that means it wouldn't ignore defense, but if we assume with a zero defense target and no divided M:

Bartz Geomancer: 27 Agi, 48 Magic. That means at level 35, you have Tinkle Bell M of 22.

55 * 22 = 1210 damage

That said I'd say it depends on what level that person is? If they're CKRFing for like 1900 or so they're probably pretty high level.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

That's true, but then to reach 2800 damage you'd need to have an M of about 50, which means he'd have to be something crazy like level 70 or even higher. I guess I just can't see anyone willingly level that high.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

CFRK doing 1900 damage requires M of effectively 30, which is level 50 as Ranger Bartz. Tinker M at that level is 30, which is 55 * 30 = 1650. :shrug:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Unless you had Thief, of course.

For world 2, I'd honestly sacrifice the Ribbon to use a Tiara.

yeah for sure, buyt that's a lot less likely than having a notThief

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

How much longer do I have? I got as far as the pyramids merged world before I lost interest a couple weeks ago, but I'm thinking I might want to pick it up again if Gilgabot will still recognize my accomplishments.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rest of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It feels INCREDIBLY weird to beat Twin Tania with damage instead of instant death.

• Locked thread