Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

It's San Jose pick so someone not on a phone find the highest corsi man and give him to the sharks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
So Tofes has been doing the Sharks by greatest corsi % over the last 3 years combined, and he wanted us to continue that.. the problem is I don't have a spreadsheet with that information.

Somebody who does can make the auto-pick, or I will figure it out when I get home in 20-30 minutes.

**so looking at the website I have access to, the best individual raw corsi % over the last 3 years reamining unpicked is Dustin Brown at 57.4%. Do we want to give him Brown, or do we want to look at a defenceman? The top defenceman for raw corsi% who is currently signed with a team and plays more than 12 minutes a night is Brendan Smith for Detroit.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 7, 2015

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Habibi posted:

Did RC Cola get skipped? In that case, taking James Wisniewski. Mid workout now so I'll write him up in a few.

I was waiting for someone to say I was on the clock. I'll take Tanguay

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Dustin Brown is good for the Sharks and I'm up so I'll take Jake Gardiner. stab us on the clock

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Technetium posted:

Man if you say so, cmac is pretty good and has been playing on Ottawa's top line pretty well. He's more of an intangible veteran presence and I don't know if Jaden had played top line minutes yet.

Edit: better younger players on the board: David Clarkson, David Bolland, David Jones

He was very underwhelming last season. Unless he hits 14%+ shooting this year he wont score 20 and will be lucky to put up 45 points. He has a positive impact on players around him and is relatively consistent. I really like him and would take him on my team, but not on the first line. I think he's always played his best hockey against second pairings and with slightly more sheltered ice time. He had a great year two seasons ago, largely helped along by a highly underrated (at the time at least) Kyle Turris and a more competative Ottawa squad (with much worse luck and no magic burger man). With the leafs he was on a great line with fantastic chemistry and got sheltered minutes. I think what we saw from him last year is probably more indicative of his skill level than previous years. He'll be on the wrong side of 30 and his best hockey is most likely behind him. Give him a decent centre to work with and 16 mins a night and he'll put up ~20/~50. Put him on a first line against the best competition and I don't think he does as well (or at least not better considering the uptick in ice time).

Not a bad pick, but not a first liner and not the best forward available (especially in the age range).

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

stab picks Jake Allen.

Menamino
is on the clock

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jake allen is cool and I wanted him so now I'm sad

me want to cry

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tremendous Taste posted:

stab picks Jake Allen.

Menamino
is on the clock

You absolute fucker! Gah, he's gonna be so damned good.
He already is so good!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I'm gonna take Carl Soderberg and Michael Frolik in the vain hopes that frolik's last couple of years aren't an abberation and that soderberg doesn't experience horrible age 29 decline (he will decline eventually but whatever)

this leaves me with, vaguely

Forsberg - Stamkos - Frolik
x Soderberg - Eriksson

brodie
edler
enstrom

talbot

i have three left side D that are all pretty good/well rounded so i can probably play three fairly equal pairings depending on what i get in later rounds. considering i've handicapped myself 10-15 picks every round but the first i guess its alright

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
gently caress, I really wanted Soderberg.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I wanted Frolik a lot also so I'm real sad now

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Now I know what this "having the dude's you want get picked" feels like and it's not good.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

I wanted Frolik a lot also so I'm real sad now

This and I was literally only a few picks away :argh:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

woo late pick uh I think I want to work on my bottom 6 depth and bring aboard

Los Angeles Kings select C Lars Eller

menamino still up

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I'll go for a promising young guy and get one of those sweet ELCs on my team and take Sam Bennett

Missed most of last year with an injury but came back for the playoffs and looked pretty good for Calgary. Looking for him to get a full time spot for the Flames this year with sheltered minutes as he grows up and gets a little stronger. Like him as a player and like that contract too.

I'll temporarily slot him in as my 3C with the possibility of moving to wing if future picks allow it. He'll make a good 1-2 punch with Toews down the middle in a few years, or stay on wing for even longer if Brassard keeps improving.

So at the moment that leaves me with

Nash - Toews - Stone
Lee - Brassard -
- Bennett -

Giordano - Boychuk

MAF

Furnaceface is up

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Drunk Canuck posted:

woo late pick uh I think I want to work on my bottom 6 depth and bring aboard

Los Angeles Kings select C Lars Eller

menamino still up

Oh you motherfucker

e: OK gimme a few minutes that totally messed up my picking and I need to do some quick checking.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ah gently caress it Ill just take the last guy left on my short list because I dont mind him anyway.

Chicago needs a veteran presence on the team thats old but not that old and still productive and a generally cool guy that people like. We welcome Joel Ward to the Blackhawks.

mentholmoose is up

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 8, 2015

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Alright, quick post because I'm really busy, but I'll take Jarome Iginla because he's not declining that much despite his age and he scored 29 goals last season.

Paulocaust is up.

e: Jakub Voracek - Henrik Sedin - Patrick Kane
? - Bryan Little - Jarome Iginla

Sami Vatanen - Andrei Markov
? - Morgan Rielly

Semyon Varlamov

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Is Paulocaust back kicking around again yet?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

If not, I'm young and eager and waiting.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Iginla was my pick so I'm taking a shittier version in Patrick Marleau.

Gaudreau-MacKinnon-Oshie
Marleau-Backes-Ryan

Myers-Phaneuf

Price

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I thought about Marleau.

But if it's my turn, I'm going to take my awesome young 3C and select Zemgus Girgensons. He was very good defensively for a kid on an historically bad Buffalo team and he would've finished with 45-50 points had he played a full season. Normally if I'm taking real young guys I'm taking players who are already good at both ends of the ice, so I like this pick for me.

Ennis-Stepan-Pominville
Hossa-Horvat-???
???-Girgensons-???

Hedman-McDonagh
Tanev-???

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

let's go vjeff let's go *clap clap*

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Getting an all star this late, tremendous!

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

With Hossa, Horvat, and Girgensons, that's some real solid defense among forwards. Stepan and Pom are good, too.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Furnaceface posted:

Ah gently caress it Ill just take the last guy left on my short list because I dont mind him anyway.

Chicago needs a veteran presence on the team thats old but not that old and still productive and a generally cool guy that people like. We welcome Joel Ward to the Blackhawks.

mentholmoose is up

Hey. gently caress you.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Curious as to who people think have the best teams, both for next season and for three years from now. It's been a pretty even draft.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

1) me

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Oilers Penguins are back baby

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Maybe when done drafting we vote for best line, defence, overall, etc.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Dammit stab!!! I wanted Allen

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

JoelJoel posted:

Hey. gently caress you.

Blame the guy that took Eller literally 2 picks before. :colbert:

Drafting based on nothing but how cool I think they are and ~*intangibles*~ isnt making for the best team. Also that Wingels pick is going to bite me in the rear end because now I either need to play him at 2C or find someone that hasnt been picked yet.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Verviticus posted:

I'm gonna take Carl Soderberg and Michael Frolik in the vain hopes that frolik's last couple of years aren't an abberation and that soderberg doesn't experience horrible age 29 decline (he will decline eventually but whatever)

Great now there are no more good right wingers.

Actually I looked at those terrible yahoo lists of top 25 at each position and man there are not many good RWs in the league period. I don't know how that position became such a wasteland.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

<come at me bra>

James Wisniewski, 31, D, $5.5m through 2017

The Wiz often goes under--rated and -appreciated, such as by the Ducks, who looked poised to get deeper and stronger on the blue line after acquiring him at the deadline only to end up giving him limited ice time and stapling his rear end to the bench for much of his tenure there in favor of guys like, eg, Clayton Stoner. What the gently caress.

Granted, he's got a tendency to get hurt, but coming off of a career year, he was having another respectable outing with Columbus before landing and subsequently languishing in Anaheim like an unvaccinated measles victim. A strong puck mover with good wheels, on top of consistent offensive production, his ability to drive possession tends to make his linemates better. He's at his best when sheltered to some extent, and that will certainly happen as he'll anchor my third pairing. I don't expect any decline over the two years remaining on his contract, ending when he's 34.

x - Giroux - Callahan
Toffoli - Couture - x
Teravainen - Plekanec - x

x - Barrie
x - Niskanen
x - Wisniewski

The defensive trio gives me all the reliable offensive punch I need while maintaining an effective defense - even if does mainly rely on keeping the puck out of the defensive zone - and from here on out allows me to fill in the holes with shutdown guys and promising up and comers.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

VJeff has until noon EST

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

good soldier svejk is up

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ugh, gimme LW - Carl Hagelin

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jay Bouwmeester
There are a few defensemen left in this skill range that you could argue are better overall, but there's something to be said for sturdiness that most of them are lacking. A great player does you no damned good if he's injured come playoff time, and JayBo is nothing if not a sturdy (and steady) motherfucker. He's got a big contract but I've got the space for it, and Larsson needs someone to learn from. He's my oldest pick so far so I think that makes him captain by default or something.
Anywho, 20+ minutes a night d-man with some flaws or something - that is, some folks are down on him for some reason but whatever. He's good enough for the second pairing!

I really like my defense right now.

Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Smith
Hertl - Couturier

Lindholm - Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester - Larsson

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

tofes takes Zack Da Big Guy Kassian and it's time for a Calgary Flames Consensus Pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

tofes takes Zack Da Big Guy Kassian and it's time for a Calgary Flames Consensus Pick

I think Bozak is next up on the highest scoring list, but drat. No one should take Bozak.
Then again we are drafting the flames like Jim Benning so maybe Bozak is the right choice.

• Locked thread