Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The Locator posted:

I had to move my seat up a couple inches, making for not the most comfortable driving position, but I transported 3 Ikea table-tops that were 30" x 60" without any problem and the hatch closed. Lots of extra side to side room, but 60" is about the max length (well, 60.5" in the boxes probably) front/rear you probably want to try.

My wife does art festivals, so in my Non ST (sel) focus hatch,after unbolting and removing the seat bottoms I was able to cram:
- 8 foot fold in half table
- 4 foot table
- shelf
- all the display fixtures
- portable heater/fuel
-4 concrete tent weights
-10 foot folded easy up tent
- all her wares (two tackleboxes, bins, bags, cushiony things)
- luggage for two days

I stuffed that car from rear end in a top hat to bellybutton and still got 42mpg on the highway. I'm getting another one soon. When you don't have that kind of hauling capacity anymore, you seriously miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
After a roof rack attachment incident in the middle of Kansas we fit the following inside of my Golf:

4 guys
2 snowboards
2 pairs of skis
all of our associated gear for a 4 day trip(boots take up a lot of space)
The twisted remains of the roof rack attachment

It was pretty tight, but we got to Colorado and back with no other issues. I love having a hatch as my DD.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Where did I get taken for a ride.

Service, god damned oil changes are over 100 bucks at the dealer, and at this point I don't have the giveashit to do them myself
The 30k service is brake fluid/radiator flush + filters and oil. That one alone is around 250. I'm coming out ahead on the service package.
GPP insurance covers me when some fuckface either steals it or totals it out from under me because of the price of the car, and was still cheaper to do through the dealer than through my own insurance.
Tell me again where I got taken for a ride?
As far as price goes, I got it for MSRP which there was really no way around. Other dealers out here are charging 5k OVER msrp.

Still haven't actually had much time to mess with it as I basically slept from the time I got the car home until this morning after being up over 30 hours due to it taking me around 12 hours to put the trade back together with stock stereo and wheels. Removing and reinstalling the stereo was a giant pain in the rear end.

As for the opti-coat and clear bra, I'm having those done elsewhere not at the dealership. http://opti-coat.net/

Where you only got 13k for your TDI in trade? Sure you're not paying a markup, because they hosed you on the trade. I got just a shade under 15k on my trade just a few months ago, and IIRC I had more miles on mine (just a touch under 60k) and I'm sure less options.
If you're financing gap coverage it's because you're upside down, and $800 for gap is crazy. They saw you were thirsty. You're getting a "deal" on the other services because they're making it up on things like an $800 gap coverage.

Edit: It's a fantastic car, but it sounds like you rushed through this, maybe because you were excited, or maybe to own the #2 Golf R or whatever it is, but you can do better on the deal.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 3, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

He's happy, debating a deal after the fact is kinda pointless. I'm of the opinion he got hosed as well, but it doesn't really matter now. He can't go redo the deal.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

skipdogg posted:

He's happy, debating a deal after the fact is kinda pointless. I'm of the opinion he got hosed as well, but it doesn't really matter now. He can't go redo the deal.

Totally agree- the Golf R is a loving fantastic car and it's VERY limited production. He did fine, be excited, go drive that loving thing in sport mode with all 4 windows down and try not to smile at the noise it makes when you shift.

SO GOOD.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I no longer own a Porsche Cayman. I now own a Fiesta ST. Weathertech floormats and a pedal relocation kit is already ordered. Now flip-flopping between a Quaife diff or a "Stage 2" kit.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Sigma X posted:

I no longer own a Porsche Cayman. I now own a Fiesta ST. Weathertech floormats and a pedal relocation kit is already ordered. Now flip-flopping between a Quaife diff or a "Stage 2" kit.

I rarely have traction issues in my fiesta. I'd say get whatever a stage 2 kit is and stickier tires and you'll be set.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

BoostCreep posted:

I rarely have traction issues in my fiesta. I'd say get whatever a stage 2 kit is and stickier tires and you'll be set.

"Stage 2" in the FiST world is an intake and intercooler upgrade + a tune, likely an OTS from Cobb. Most of the intakes are basically the same, with the only intake actually sucking in cold air being the 2J Racing cowl intake (noisy as gently caress, it sits in the cowl behind the glove box) as all of the others still pull air from near the radiator. Supposedly the MAPerformance intake will be pretty decent as well.

Check out Dead Hook Motorsports for a factory fitment intercooler, Russ (the owner) also now offers tuning for the Cobb Accessport and will give free lifetime tunes if you purchase the AP from them. The same goes for MAPerformance who I will personally be getting tuned by in a few weeks when my DHM intercooler arrives. I just installed my Mountune downpipe and Injen exhaust this last weekend so I'm really looking forward to the tune. Supposedly It'll be putting down about +36.29whp/+63.63wtq (@3,000rpms) over the Cobb stage 1 OTS tune I'm running now, likely a bit more.

Basically the little turbo is maxed out from the factory as far as peak gains go, you'll never make much more power in the top end without a turbo upgrade or an E30 tune. There is a lot to be gained down low in the RPM range through bolt-ons and tuning though. I'm looking forward to seeing the products coming out over the next few months from MAPerformance, next summer I'm planning on going with a bigger turbo, likely a GTX2867r or similar and it would seem these guys will offer the best quality based on their previous work with Evos and now the Mustang Ecoboost. Here's their blog with fairly regular updates on their Fiesta ST and Mustang projects: http://www.maperformance.com/blog/

The most active FiST forums are here: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/forum.php

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
Has anyone tried the FiST Boomba transmission adapter or mountune quick shift adapter? I love the shift feel of the stock shifter, but it's a little long for me and these adapters claim to reduce the throw by 20%/30% respectively. I'm curious if either live up to their claims, and if the mountune kit is worth double the price.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

Where you only got 13k for your TDI in trade? Sure you're not paying a markup, because they hosed you on the trade. I got just a shade under 15k on my trade just a few months ago, and IIRC I had more miles on mine (just a touch under 60k) and I'm sure less options.
If you're financing gap coverage it's because you're upside down, and $800 for gap is crazy. They saw you were thirsty. You're getting a "deal" on the other services because they're making it up on things like an $800 gap coverage.

Edit: It's a fantastic car, but it sounds like you rushed through this, maybe because you were excited, or maybe to own the #2 Golf R or whatever it is, but you can do better on the deal.

I got hosed on my trade, but there was basically no room to negotiate. As far as the 700 for gap coverage, it still came out cheaper to buy gap through them vs finance through my insurance and get free gap coverage. Also, notice that you traded your TDI in a couple months ago. Since then there have been new cars. My TDI had no options, it was a stick, 2dr and sunroof. They basically gave me straight KBB trade in value. I'm not upside down either, I owed 7500 and got 13k trade for it. I could have skipped the gap insurance, but in the long run I'd rather not get screwed over if something happens. And I already explained the costs for the other stuff.

As far as thirsty, there were -literally- only 16 cars that came to the state when the 2015 R came out. There will likely only be a few more 16s.

Also, yes it makes fantastic noises when you press the go pedal. I need to figure out how to disable the soundaktor though, cause screw fake engine noises. Sounds awesome at idle even.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 4, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cellular Suicide posted:

Has anyone tried the FiST Boomba transmission adapter or mountune quick shift adapter? I love the shift feel of the stock shifter, but it's a little long for me and these adapters claim to reduce the throw by 20%/30% respectively. I'm curious if either live up to their claims, and if the mountune kit is worth double the price.

The FoST people seem to like FSWerks' piece and they make one for the FiST. I have a FoST one on the way, and can let you know how it is. It's $80.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Cellular Suicide posted:

I have the Boomba transmission adapter as well as their short shifter and all of the bushings waiting to install which I might do this weekend. Will report back on how it feels. I've been reading that setting the short shifter to the shortest setting can cause the linkage to pop out where it attaches to the shifter due to being at a much smaller angle. This can be somewhat rectified by using a couple of beefy zip ties in an X pattern around the linkage/bushing to keep it from happening, or just running it at the medium setting.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Is it better to get an actual short shifter, or just a kit that does the job?

This is for an ST. I see kits that you install under the hood, and full shifters that require getting into the assembly in the cabin.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Ringo Star Get posted:

Is it better to get an actual short shifter, or just a kit that does the job?

This is for an ST. I see kits that you install under the hood, and full shifters that require getting into the assembly in the cabin.

The transmission adapter (installed under the hood) probably provides enough throw reduction for most people. The benefits of the Boomba short shifter are the additional reduction in throws as well as doubling the stock 15 degree bend to 30 degrees in the shifter itself. A lot of people (tall drivers who have their seats way back) find the stock shifter location to be too far toward the center console and they have to lean forward in order to comfortably shift into 1st, 3rd, 6th, and reverse. Bending it further towards the driver improves this for those people.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

veedubfreak posted:

Also, yes it makes fantastic noises when you press the go pedal. I need to figure out how to disable the soundaktor though, cause screw fake engine noises. Sounds awesome at idle even.

Have you listened to comparison videos of before and after? I know that's not accurate but I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference with the soundaktor disabled.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Defghanistan posted:

Have you listened to comparison videos of before and after? I know that's not accurate but I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference with the soundaktor disabled.

That's good to hear. The one thing I have noticed is that at idle, it turns off and the car is silent inside. As soon as I start to move it gets loud in the car, even with it set to comfort.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

veedubfreak posted:

That's good to hear. The one thing I have noticed is that at idle, it turns off and the car is silent inside. As soon as I start to move it gets loud in the car, even with it set to comfort.

Seriously? That's so interesting, mine (2015 R) is nearly silent on the road, unless I really punch it. But from 0-60 at "normal driving" rates of acceleration it's REALLY quiet.

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!
Any other FiST owners feel like the gearbox is a little rough from 1st to 2nd? Everything else is really smooth (though there is an audible clack) but up shifting there feels like I'm doing something wrong no matter where I'm at on the tach when I do it.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

nuclear_cheetos posted:

Any other FiST owners feel like the gearbox is a little rough from 1st to 2nd? Everything else is really smooth (though there is an audible clack) but up shifting there feels like I'm doing something wrong no matter where I'm at on the tach when I do it.

Absolutely, shifting from 1st to 2nd almost always results in the car shuddering/bucking under normal driving conditions. If I push in the clutch and let the "shift assist" feature hold the RPMs at the "proper shift point" then let out the clutch it's buttery smooth, unfortunately it takes drat near 3-4 seconds for the RPMs to drop to that point during the 1st to 2nd shift. When I'm getting on the gas and redlining 1st then power shifting into 2nd it doesn't do it, only when driving calmly. This has caused my passengers to hit the back of their heads on the headrest and resulted in many comments of "what the gently caress are you doing, that hurt!". It's super annoying and I blame the heavy rear end flywheel/Ford's "shift assist" feature which cause the RPMs to take ages to drop when pressing in the clutch. I've heard from people that go to a lighter flywheel and clutch that this RPM hang is eliminated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The MS6 has the same issue and an upgraded RMM softens it quite a bit.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I had a similar issue on my A3 and I "solved" it with a poly insert on the transmission bushing. It no longer lurches if I don't make a perfect 1-2 shift but instead gives me a little thump which I'm ok with.

I attribute the harshness on the fact that 1st and 2nd gear are really short and because all the power is in turbo land on the tach I'm usually shifting high up

8ender fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 8, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I thought the rev-hang was there for emissions reasons - it seems to be present to a lesser or greater extent in every modern car I've driven.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sigma X posted:

I have to ask: why go from a cayman to a fiesta?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm betting pregnant wife.

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!
There is a TSB for the RMM but I have no idea what the Ford garage would replace it with. I've heard good things about the Cobb RMM but I would guess that kind of aftermarket part would void my warranty. If not than I'm all about spending 150 bucks to soften that transition without having to drop to basically nothing on the tach to cleanly shift into second when I'm tooling around a parking lot.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Mods don't void warranties. Especially not something like that. If ford can prove the mod caused the failure you are trying to claim as warranty work they can deny that particular claim and any future claims they could directly trace back to being caused by a non standard motor mount. That's all.

Also, isn't that TSB for the focus st, not the fiesta st?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 8, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

GutBomb posted:

Mods don't void warranties. Especially not something like that. If ford can prove the mod caused the failure you are trying to claim as warranty work they can deny that particular claim and any future claims they could directly trace back to being caused by a non standard motor mount. That's all.

Depending on things though this is the entire point, having to fight back at a dealer/manufacturer if they decide to dig in their heels and make you fight.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I doubt a RMM would ever be noticed.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Residency Evil posted:

I have to ask: why go from a cayman to a fiesta?

Several reasons, really. One of which was that it's nearly impossible to have a long weekend away with the passenger room and cargo space in the Cayman. The amount of time I've spent on the track lately vs. the street doesn't really justify having a car that's only fun on the track versus one that's fun on the road and does decently on track. The Cayman's limits are so high, you can't really have fun with it on the street (at least, not around where I live) and not go to jail in short order. The FiST lets me beat the poo poo out of it and only get a ticket if I'm dumb, and despite my reviewer's thoughts below, I enjoy it.

Also, my car note was cut nearly in half, insurance is cheaper, it's loads cheaper to upgrade and maintain. Plus I have short friends that can actually sit in the back, so bringing people along on trips to vineyards, hikes, rafting, etc. is an option.

GutBomb posted:

I'm betting pregnant wife.

God, no. I'll not be having any children, thanks. The older I get, the less attractive a squalling poo poo-monster who requires you to change your entire life seems.

My thoughts so far on the FiST after living with it for a week:
Upgrades: Instantly glad I bought the accelerator pedal extender kit. Weathertech mats are as good as they always are, barring the fact that the fully-depressed clutch pedal arm comes into contact with the lip of the mat, making an annoying rasping noise when shifting. Mountune intake kit was a decent bargain, although the silicon hose replacement to the intake manifold is a bitch to fit and still be able to get the airbox bolted back in. Speaking of that, who the gently caress designs an airbox secured with four hex bolts and puts one of them under the air intake hose?

General: Side visibility is better than some other new cars, poo poo compared to almost everything else I've ever owned. I'm still having to get used to checking the bubble instead of glancing to the side to check my blind spots, and I don't know why Ford didn't go for an aspheric mirror rather than the stupid bubble. Pretty strange not having a gas cap, AND there not being a locking fuel filler door.

Quality: Fit and finish is abysmal but expected for the sporty version of Ford's cheapest car. There are gaps in excess of 1mm between cloth and plastic trim parts in places, light peeks through the sunroof shade, and the silver plastic on the steering wheel is just a tiny bit too reflective to make driving at an angle to the rising sun comfortable. Several of the body panels don't line up correctly, for example the back bumper and rear fender have a 1.5mm height difference where they meet. Even the carpet feels noticeably cheap.

Seating: The Recaros are a must-have for spirited driving, and I don't see what everyone else is complaining about when it comes to comfort. I hate the headrests, but, that is literally every new car (stupid whiplash safety bullshit). STOP PUSHING MY HEAD FORWARD AT AN UNCOMFORTABLE ANGLE. The large scallops out of the seatbacks to allow the rear seats a bit more legroom are genius and allow my 5'6" friend to sit in the back, no sweat.

Gearbox/shifting: First gear seems short, especially considering the break-in period. The idiotic rev-hang thing is already making my clutch wear way faster than it should; who the hell designs a car that fucks up your shift if you go from third to fifth or third to sixth? Fifth and Sixth gear are just a tiny bit too far away for comfortable shifts, but that's also a function of my seat and steering wheel placement. I can already tell I'm going to have to do something about the 1st -> 2nd shifts, and shifting in general. The motor moves around a ridiculous amount , to the point I've already missed several 1 -> 2 and 3->4 shifts under hard cornering and accel.

Suspension/ride: The car should have come with stronger anti-roll bars. There's an excessive amount of roll for a "sports" car. The ride is decent, pretty good for a sports car, in fact. There's noticeable sidewall flex under cornering, and during hard braking the car starts squirming like a ten year old at church. Great to toss around and feel things happening, though.

Engine: Still in the break-in period. It's great fun squirting up 15 MPH in an instant once boost builds at around 3K RPM. Kind of stumped as to why a 1.6L I-4 only revs out to 6375 RPM, though. And the "overspeed" feature of readline temporarily at 6500 RPM blows my mind. Dafaq, Ford? Definitely going to throw a couple mods and a tune at this thing to increase torque, and therefor, the straight-line fun factor. Not sure if this thing has a proper fuel cutoff for engine braking, though. It barely seems to engine brake at all except in 1st and 2nd, using engine braking on the highway in 6th gear seems to do nothing.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 11, 2015

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sigma X posted:

Quality: Fit and finish is abysmal but expected for the sporty version of Ford's cheapest car. There are gaps in excess of 1mm between cloth and plastic trim parts in places, light peeks through the sunroof shade, and the silver plastic on the steering wheel is just a tiny bit too reflective to make driving at an angle to the rising sun comfortable. Several of the body panels don't line up correctly, for example the back bumper and rear fender have a 1.5mm height difference where they meet. Even the carpet feels noticeably cheap.

:lol: If you notice this poo poo then you're :spergin: a bit too hard. I'm no Ford fan but your expectations seem a bit lofty for most any car.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Larrymer posted:

:lol: If you notice this poo poo then you're :spergin: a bit too hard. I'm no Ford fan but your expectations seem a bit lofty for most any car.

I came from a Porsche. My expectations weren't too lofty for it, or my BMW, or even my Miata.

You a Ford apologist, or only owned super-cheap cars?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sigma X posted:

I came from a Porsche. My expectations weren't too lofty for it, or my BMW, or even my Miata.

Noticing gaps is just something people do. Don't let it rile you up.

As far as short first gears go, the R is basically at redline before I am even ready to shift to 2nd. Now I understand why the DSG is a half second faster 0-60.

Put the wheels back on.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 11, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Larrymer posted:

You're coming from a Porsche. Expecting Porsche level quality out of a $15k car (ST or not, most of the car is a $15k fiesta) is a bit insane.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ilkhan posted:

You're coming from a Porsche. Expecting Porsche level quality out of a $15k car (ST or not, most of the car is a $15k fiesta) is a bit insane.

Sigma X posted:

Fit and finish is abysmal but expected for the sporty version of Ford's cheapest car.

Sigma X posted:

R->C->P

I didn't say I was expecting Porsche quality. I was expecting Ford econobox quality, and that's what I got. My observations on the subject are just that, observations.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Sigma X posted:

I was expecting Ford econobox quality, and that's what I got.

Maybe so, but I don't think it's bad. A long way from what Ford ecoboxes used to be

I came from the opposite end of the spectrum though (have always had cheap used cars). So when I picked this up for not much more than my past used car cost, I was pleased with the quality and performance. The suspension seems kind of rough, but I place a large part of that fault onto the summer tires

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 11, 2015

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Sigma X posted:

Several of the body panels don't line up correctly, for example the back bumper and rear fender have a 1.5mm height difference where they meet.

Take it back to your dealer and complain. My dealer was able to make the body panel alignment on my Focus near-perfect... Ford's panel alignment really is loving atrocious.

Sigma X posted:

I hate the headrests

On my Focus, you can push them forward and they'll ratchet, and eventually you'll push it far enough to get it to go all the way back. I can't remember if the Fiesta is the same way.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Take it back to your dealer and complain. My dealer was able to make the body panel alignment on my Focus near-perfect... Ford's panel alignment really is loving atrocious.

On my Focus, you can push them forward and they'll ratchet, and eventually you'll push it far enough to get it to go all the way back. I can't remember if the Fiesta is the same way.

If you don't have the Recaros that's how it works.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Sigma X posted:

My thoughts so far on the FiST after living with it for a week:
Upgrades: Instantly glad I bought the accelerator pedal extender kit. Weathertech mats are as good as they always are, barring the fact that the fully-depressed clutch pedal arm comes into contact with the lip of the mat, making an annoying rasping noise when shifting. Mountune intake kit was a decent bargain, although the silicon hose replacement to the intake manifold is a bitch to fit and still be able to get the airbox bolted back in. Speaking of that, who the gently caress designs an airbox secured with four hex bolts and puts one of them under the air intake hose?

Seating: The Recaros are a must-have for spirited driving, and I don't see what everyone else is complaining about when it comes to comfort. I hate the headrests, but, that is literally every new car (stupid whiplash safety bullshit). STOP PUSHING MY HEAD FORWARD AT AN UNCOMFORTABLE ANGLE. The large scallops out of the seatbacks to allow the rear seats a bit more legroom are genius and allow my 5'6" friend to sit in the back, no sweat.

Gearbox/shifting: First gear seems short, especially considering the break-in period. The idiotic rev-hang thing is already making my clutch wear way faster than it should; who the hell designs a car that fucks up your shift if you go from third to fifth or third to sixth? Fifth and Sixth gear are just a tiny bit too far away for comfortable shifts, but that's also a function of my seat and steering wheel placement. I can already tell I'm going to have to do something about the 1st -> 2nd shifts, and shifting in general. The motor moves around a ridiculous amount , to the point I've already missed several 1 -> 2 and 3->4 shifts under hard cornering and accel.

I must have gotten extremely lucky with my FiST. I got one in the first shipment to dealers, so maybe the quality was higher than others because I literally have none of these issues, and none of the common problems people keep talking about on forums. My 1-2 shift is even smooth, I don't miss gears, and I don't have any issues with a rev hang thing. My clutch seems totally fine at almost 14k miles.

Except for the airbox with hex screws. That poo poo is obnoxious.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BoostCreep posted:

I must have gotten extremely lucky with my FiST. I got one in the first shipment to dealers, so maybe the quality was higher than others because I literally have none of these issues, and none of the common problems people keep talking about on forums. My 1-2 shift is even smooth, I don't miss gears, and I don't have any issues with a rev hang thing. My clutch seems totally fine at almost 14k miles.

Except for the airbox with hex screws. That poo poo is obnoxious.

I'm going to video the rev hang, probably this weekend. And then tell the dealer I want it gone. I'm almost 100% certain it's designed to hold RPMs at the proper engagement point for the next gear up. The engine is DEFINITELY moving enough to cause me to miss gears, I've done it 4+ times in <600 mi. Got the RMM coming in tomorrow, going to install over the weekend and then take it for a long drive.

EDIT: This is the poo poo I'm talking about :

This is the rear fender/bumper cover:

Other end:

Here a view of where the front bumper cover meets the front driver-side fender:

So, at the top I can slip my finger in:

And at the bottom it's tighter than a gnat's rear end in a top hat:

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sigma X posted:

Nope on both counts.

Larrymer posted:

Looking at your pics, only the bumper being that far off is something I'd notice. I was more laughing at you noticing "1mm" gaps which sounds anal as hell (though they're much larger than you described).