Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Yep, Valejo or Testors Model Masters acrylics should do you fine. Unless the stripe is white or yellow, in which case God help you.

Model Masters gray primer is your friend. You should probably pick up a bottle of whatever color the rest of the boot is just for touch-ups. My best results with painting yellow has been 1) put down the gray primer 2) mix a little bit of white in with the yellow.

White should go over the primer fine, you might need an extra coat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

TouchToneDialing posted:

How realistic is it to buy a Marvel Legends figure remove the BAF part then put it up on Kijiji/Ebay at a less than retail price and sell it?

I really really want the Hulkbuster BAF to repaint but I i'm not interested in any of the actual figures.

Following up on this, I just ordered Vision and Strange off of Amazon and don't need the BAF pieces and am happy to sell them to you if you need them.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Got the foam in and finished my Batman (89) prop case. Metal speargun, metal emblem, and belt with metal buckle and pods. Batarang is resin though.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Travis343 posted:

Model Masters gray primer is your friend. You should probably pick up a bottle of whatever color the rest of the boot is just for touch-ups. My best results with painting yellow has been 1) put down the gray primer 2) mix a little bit of white in with the yellow.

White should go over the primer fine, you might need an extra coat.

I think it depends on how much of a perfectionist you are. That being said, you can also mix yellow with silver to get slightly better coverage. But I've been doing this for 15 years and I've never seen brush-applied yellow I'm truly satisfied with. I've even purchased from "pro" customizers and yellow never looks great in-hand.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It is yellow and I had read about the issues with yellow before, but it just has to look like a yellow stripe from 3-4 feet away on a shelf so I don't need anything too fancy.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I am also rebuilding my Batman Begins batsuit closet from scratch, at the proper scale this time. Shooting for something like 7'H x 52"W with better quality wood and better craftsmanship. There are also some suit surprises that I'm not ready to share yet.

The past week I've been working on the new larger steel boot/gauntlet shelves to give them the proper brassy finish. These are 12 inches across and weigh 10lbs each.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Aphrodite posted:

It is yellow and I had read about the issues with yellow before, but it just has to look like a yellow stripe from 3-4 feet away on a shelf so I don't need anything too fancy.

the thing with yellow is the pigments are never really dense enough. Best way to get it done is to lay down a coat, let it fully cure, then a second coat, repeat as necessary.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

the thing with yellow is the pigments are never really dense enough. Best way to get it done is to lay down a coat, let it fully cure, then a second coat, repeat as necessary.

I always paint white under what ever is being painted yellow, because like you said, the pigment is really loose and watery. I really like Citadel's yellow because it's a little thicker than other paints and it looks pretty good when dry.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Fish Of Doom posted:

I always paint white under what ever is being painted yellow, because like you said, the pigment is really loose and watery. I really like Citadel's yellow because it's a little thicker than other paints and it looks pretty good when dry.

Ah, they changed the formula then, finally! Citadel's sunburst yellow is exactly the paint I was thinking of when I wrote that.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I'm the kind of rear end in a top hat that mentally berates himself if the end result doesn't look factory from ~1 foot away, so factor that into any advice I ever give.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How long does a coat take to cure?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Aphrodite posted:

How long does a coat take to cure?

Depends on the paint, usually 24-48 hours for an acrylic.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

gregday posted:

I am also rebuilding my Batman Begins batsuit closet from scratch, at the proper scale this time. Shooting for something like 7'H x 52"W with better quality wood and better craftsmanship. There are also some suit surprises that I'm not ready to share yet.

The past week I've been working on the new larger steel boot/gauntlet shelves to give them the proper brassy finish. These are 12 inches across and weigh 10lbs each.

You need to be on one of those HGTV shows about geek rooms or man caves with this build.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Rage posted:

You need to be on one of those HGTV shows about geek rooms or man caves with this build.

And let everyone know he's Batman? Come on man, head in the game.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

And let everyone know he's Batman? Come on man, head in the game.

Damnit, see thats why he's the Batman I'm just a janitor

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The Rage posted:

Damnit, see thats why he's the Batman I'm just a janitor

You're Phoenix Jones, right?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
3D printers are finally being used for something useful:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Louisgod posted:

3D printers are finally being used for something useful:

Oh man I need some!

I also need to remember to order a Luigi!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I was taken to the Funko SDCC party (read: told I should spend $100 on it) by a friend who is a serious collector. Two questions:

1 - Do people understand those events and the ticketing system is rigged? It was super clear to me that the high dollar items aren't random, but hand delivered to select people and that tickets aren't random either. Again, handed to select people.

2 - Does every Funko collector have aspergers? I sold one of my figures to cover the ticket and the guy complained that I didn't pack it properly-- you know, a brand new uline box with packing peanuts. Every person asked for more pictures beyond the 8 I had posted showing every single side of the box and more. The two offers I received, when I was not accepting them, rambled out about the box because it was so nice but then cited a bunch of reasons why I should take their low offer.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Could you elaborate on the rigged ticketing system? Like I'm not familiar with what Funko parties are so I'm not really sure what's going on here or how/why it's rigged.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

You're Phoenix Jones, right?

I'm not legally allowed to use that nom de plume anymore, court ordered.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
This is kinda cool.

That company that did the seamless bodies for the women 1/6th scale figures with the stainless steel skeleton went the male route.

Looks pretty awesome. It's like 85$ though, but still, interesting concept, and I guess it'd look pretty cool if you needed a shirtless hero style body for someone custom.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

That would be amazing for customs, though I always wonder how you'd go about keeping paint on something that's bendy and flexible like that.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Xenomrph posted:

Could you elaborate on the rigged ticketing system? Like I'm not familiar with what Funko parties are so I'm not really sure what's going on here or how/why it's rigged.

Party - The have a volunteer/employee group running around throwing prizes to people seated at tables. Sure, you'll get random out of box retail items randomly flying in the air. But, it's super clear that the big-ticket items are held onto and directly handed to people or thrown to people. Pretty unreasonable for something that people pay $100 to get into. I mention that I think some items are rigged and my friend comments that admins for their various fan sites and other organizations get special items/attention at these types of events. The comedy part was when adults were asked to not trample children in order to get bullshit they'll put on a shelf or sell on ebay.

Tickets - Sunday, I was stuck in the Funko corner trying to get to artist alley. The line is shut down, probably due to adults fighting over vinyl toys. There's a Funko employee who has tickets for the line. Everyone's hovering in this area because they want a ticket even though it's announced that there will be no ticket giveaways. We're waiting like a minute and the employee hands one ticket to someone. The person in front of me slides up next and asks if he can have a ticket. The employee turns him down and leaves. Another employee goes to another area of the booth. A person goes up and asks for a ticket. No. Another person asks for a ticket. Yes. A third person goes up and asks for a ticket. No.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

And no one called them out for any of that?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well if you called them out you're definitely not getting a ticket. Can't risk that.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

That would be amazing for customs, though I always wonder how you'd go about keeping paint on something that's bendy and flexible like that.

I honestly dunno. I thought maybe primer and acrylic in thin coats, but man I have a feeling that would crack like a bastard after a while, especially if it was too thick a coat.

I'm incredibly tempted to grab one and take it partially apart to make a Cyborg Superman using a Reeve HT head though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

People don't really paint them. They come in different skin tones.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Hot Toys is making an Ant-Man on Anthony minifig:

As with the baby Groot, it's $40 for something the size of a Marvel Universe figure.

Unlike baby Groot, I had enough rewards points available to redeem now so that I'll be getting it just for the cost of shipping :cool: makes up for not being able to justify a full size Small Rudd.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

I did a full repaint and brow sculpt on Rocket Raccoon! This is the first time iv done a full figure repaint.

Groot is up next once all his parts show up in the mail.

Check it out ! http://imgur.com/a/xnYwK

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
I've got a question for the group:

What do you all think the odds are of a new ML 6 inch Crossbones dropping sometime in 2016?

I really want a Crossbones figure, but the Walmart Exclusive and SDCC Exclusive are quite expensive on the secondary market. I'm hoping Hasbro will possibly do a new figure since he's a villain in the next Captain America movie, but I wonder what the Goon consensus is on that.

Also, if anybody has an extra Crossbones they don't want, I'll take it off your hands for cheap.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

The Action Man posted:

I've got a question for the group:

What do you all think the odds are of a new ML 6 inch Crossbones dropping sometime in 2016?

I really want a Crossbones figure, but the Walmart Exclusive and SDCC Exclusive are quite expensive on the secondary market. I'm hoping Hasbro will possibly do a new figure since he's a villain in the next Captain America movie, but I wonder what the Goon consensus is on that.

Also, if anybody has an extra Crossbones they don't want, I'll take it off your hands for cheap.

Wait until next summer when Civil War hits theaters, he has a part in that movie and they have been matching up Legends a bit more with the movies coming out recently. They will either make a figure based on his movie costume, or re-release the SDCC 2013 version with a new paint job if they do.

Entertainment Earth is doing a summer clearance right now for anyone interested. Its mainly a bunch of crap, but I picked up the entire 3 3/4 inch Venture Brothers line for $23. They aren't the best figures, but I figured it would be fun to sprinkle in some of them with my other figures at the same scale. They also have a few Marvel Selects, DC Collectibles and other figures on sale as well.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

How long until EE discounts that GotG set?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Is there a free shipping coupon code for EE anywhere? I like the $23 for the Venture Bros figures but not the $7 for shipping.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Cocks Cable posted:

A couple years if it's still around by then.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Havoc904 posted:

Wait until next summer when Civil War hits theaters, he has a part in that movie and they have been matching up Legends a bit more with the movies coming out recently. They will either make a figure based on his movie costume, or re-release the SDCC 2013 version with a new paint job if they do.

Entertainment Earth is doing a summer clearance right now for anyone interested. Its mainly a bunch of crap, but I picked up the entire 3 3/4 inch Venture Brothers line for $23. They aren't the best figures, but I figured it would be fun to sprinkle in some of them with my other figures at the same scale. They also have a few Marvel Selects, DC Collectibles and other figures on sale as well.

I've got my fingers crossed for a repaint since they did just give the Winter Soldier Cap some minor tweaks before releasing.

I'll try and stay strong till next summer then.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Cocks Cable posted:

I think it's already sold out at EE

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The Rage posted:

I think it's already sold out at EE

No it isn't, but it has been their #1 - #3 top seller since coming out.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

It's so overpriced. I just can't pull the trigger on it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mass market pricing has gotten so gross. Those things were like $7-10 a pop ten years ago and should probably be $12-13 right now.