Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

durtan posted:

I'll give Seafile a shot. Would you say transfer speeds are good? I'm currently using Bittorrent Sync for a backup/sync server and it does fairly well. ownCloud was maxing out at 3kb/sec.

According to this guy Seafile is about 2-3MB/s on a B+ and just a couple of kb/s with Owncloud

https://www.ionas-server.com/blog/owncloud-vs-seafile-performance/

Seriously, never ever use a product that's built on top of PHP, it's like Duplos for the web when everyone else is at least using Legos, preferably Technics. The language itself might be ok (Facebook runs on it, but they've written their own extended, backwards compatible version of PHP because of it's limitations) but the people who use it for serious projects tend to be complete morons.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hm, there really is no way to just throw NOOBS onto a Pi, connect it to a router and just SSH into it. I pretty much have to attach a monitor and keyboard just to activate SSH. Kind of annoying.

edit: NOOBS is not Raspbian, I'm a dumb head.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 28, 2015

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

doctorfrog posted:

Hm, there really is no way to just throw NOOBS onto a Pi, connect it to a router and just SSH into it. I pretty much have to attach a monitor and keyboard just to activate SSH. Kind of annoying.

edit: NOOBS is not Raspbian, I'm a dumb head.

Why not just put Raspbian on the Pi? If your router adds hosts to its DHCP server then you can just ssh into pi@raspberrypi once its booted up. You can get a Raspbian image from here (scroll down past NOOBS): https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What does NOOBS do for the average user if you're installing Raspian?

It looks like if you flash NOOBS on there and then choose Raspian as your default install you still have to use the colorized text installer anyways.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

mod sassinator posted:

Why not just put Raspbian on the Pi? If your router adds hosts to its DHCP server then you can just ssh into pi@raspberrypi once its booted up. You can get a Raspbian image from here (scroll down past NOOBS): https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

Yep, realized this about five minutes after typing up that post. The question then followed as to whether SSH was enabled by default, and the answer was yes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hadlock posted:

What does NOOBS do for the average user if you're installing Raspian?

It looks like if you flash NOOBS on there and then choose Raspian as your default install you still have to use the colorized text installer anyways.

Nuthin', so far as I can tell. It's still a nice thing for them to provide. It would be even nicer if it had some SSH and command line support on the installer, so I could headlessly install one of the alternative OS's, but it's still pretty nice to have. Unless that's something else I'm missing. Also would be nice to have a bonehead-safe command-line-configurable wireless utility without having to run the desktop... All told I'm still pretty impressed with how easy and fun it is to set up this little Linux box for someone who isn't that familiar with it outside some halfhearted desktop use.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
This is a thing that looks cool and useful on paper

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Pi-Finder

Haven't needed to test it out since I found it, though

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ante posted:

This is a thing that looks cool and useful on paper

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Pi-Finder

Haven't needed to test it out since I found it, though

Neat, but why not just look at your dhcp server and the leases?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Moey posted:

Or just ping your broadcast...

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

durtan posted:

I'll give Seafile a shot. Would you say transfer speeds are good? I'm currently using Bittorrent Sync for a backup/sync server and it does fairly well. ownCloud was maxing out at 3kb/sec.

If you care about speed, a raspberry pi is not the solution to your self-hosted backups.

It has terrible throughput, partly because of shortcuts they've taken to keep the device cheap.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it's been thoroughly proven that the odroid c3 is crazy faster for that sort of thing. There are a couple of similar boards that actually have sata ports on the board which ought to improve speeds considerably. The pi is just about the worst platform to do network file sharing and it's extremely gimped in that regard.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Eh, for me, the Raspberry Pi is like a '63 Volkswagen Beetle. It's cheap, low-powered, fun to tinker with, and works well enough to do some fun and useful things.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

doctorfrog posted:

Eh, for me, the Raspberry Pi is like a '63 Volkswagen Beetle. It's cheap, low-powered, fun to tinker with, and works well enough to do some fun and useful things.

The problem with using it for networked file sharing is that the system drive (SD card), file drives, and the network all hang off a single USB 2.0 channel. So yeah it tends to be pretty crap for that application.

At this point there's a lot of competitors at similar price-ranges that produce better products. For the same money you can get some combination of more memory, faster cores, gigabit, onboard wifi, etc. Competitive models with USB 3.0 are creeping down in price, and they dominate the Pi in many tasks because it's effectively a 10x jump in the speed of the system bus. It's not impossible to bottleneck a 5 Gbit/s bus, but it's far more difficult than bottlenecking a 400 MBit/s bus. And booksize PCs with much faster x86 processors and much better system architecture keep creeping downwards in price as well.

I also have a hard time taking the "long-term-support hardware/software" and "bigger software catalog" things seriously. Odroid or BeagleBone Black do just as well and in some cases better. In particular it took 2 years for the Pi folks to fix a bug in their drivers that caused USB frame dropping when operated at 2.0 speeds, which is pretty nuts for a device that uses USB as a system bus. Also they will always have a penchant for burning up SD cards, which is a real pain for a device that's supposed to be stable and supported for educational use/etc. You shouldn't have to do a wonky bootstrap on SD then bounce to a root filesystem kept on a separate USB device in order to not destroy your disks in casual usage. Spending an extra $10 on a BBB gets you bootable onboard eMMC. eMMC ain't perfect but it's much better at wear leveling than an SD card. Over a year's timeframe of casually poking at Linux Stuff my Pi crapped 2 SD cards, whereas my booksize media PC running on eMMC has been rock solid.

Most people would really be better off working a couple more hours and putting the extra cash towards a BeagleBone Black or a Liva or something. You will spend more than the difference in nickel-and-dime'ing for SD cards, USB sticks, wifi adapters, codec licenses, time and money spent hunting for a power supply that's stable enough, rebuilding your system when the SD cards crap out, etc. In comparison I took my booksize PC out of the box, plugged in the included power supply, boom it's booted off the OS preloaded on the included eMMC, connected to my wifi, and it's been running nonstop ever since. BBB also includes a Debian preload too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 29, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I get that you can technically do file sharing on the Pi, but the fact that everything goes over the same bus really does cripple it. It's not like a '63 beetle, for file sharing specifically it's more like a Razr scooter modified with a 2-stroke gas weed whacker engine bolted on, and driving the rear wheel with rubber bands. The odroid c3 has everything correctly setup. And yeah the Beaglebone black is basically the motherboard from a chromebook and crazy fast for those kinds of applications compared to the Pi.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I see. Well, if it's something I will be using long-term, I'll look into those other computer things. Something that ran off of an SD card and a flash drive was never going to be a permanent thing.

edit: I'll repeat that my original use case was to just upload and download some files to my phone/laptop on an infrequent basis, not as a robust file sharing platform.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 29, 2015

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Paul MaudDib posted:

The problem with using it for networked file sharing is that the system drive (SD card), file drives, and the network all hang off a single USB 2.0 channel. So yeah it tends to be pretty crap for that application.

At this point there's a lot of competitors at similar price-ranges that produce better products. For the same money you can get some combination of more memory, faster cores, gigabit, onboard wifi, etc. Competitive models with USB 3.0 are creeping down in price, and they dominate the Pi in many tasks because it's effectively a 10x jump in the speed of the system bus. It's not impossible to bottleneck a 5 Gbit/s bus, but it's far more difficult than bottlenecking a 400 MBit/s bus. And booksize PCs with much faster x86 processors and much better system architecture keep creeping downwards in price as well.

I also have a hard time taking the "long-term-support hardware/software" and "bigger software catalog" things seriously. Odroid or BeagleBone Black do just as well and in some cases better. In particular it took 2 years for the Pi folks to fix a bug in their drivers that caused USB frame dropping when operated at 2.0 speeds, which is pretty nuts for a device that uses USB as a system bus. Also they will always have a penchant for burning up SD cards, which is a real pain for a device that's supposed to be stable and supported for educational use/etc. You shouldn't have to do a wonky bootstrap on SD then bounce to a root filesystem kept on a separate USB device in order to not destroy your disks in casual usage. Spending an extra $10 on a BBB gets you bootable onboard eMMC. eMMC ain't perfect but it's much better at wear leveling than an SD card. Over a year's timeframe of casually poking at Linux Stuff my Pi crapped 2 SD cards, whereas my booksize media PC running on eMMC has been rock solid.

Most people would really be better off working a couple more hours and putting the extra cash towards a BeagleBone Black or a Liva or something. You will spend more than the difference in nickel-and-dime'ing for SD cards, USB sticks, wifi adapters, codec licenses, time and money spent hunting for a power supply that's stable enough, rebuilding your system when the SD cards crap out, etc. In comparison I took my booksize PC out of the box, plugged in the included power supply, boom it's booted off the OS preloaded on the included eMMC, connected to my wifi, and it's been running nonstop ever since. BBB also includes a Debian preload too.

Yeah the BBB is nice, but it does have some downsides. The GPU isn't nearly as good as the Pi's GPU, and using the HDMI output kills almost half the GPIOs on the board (since they share pins with HDMI/video). They also still aren't on a mainline Linux kernel yet (but are really close from what I hear), so you're stuck with an ancient 3.8 kernel by default or a more modern 4.x kernel with some broken stuff. The Pi is on a mainline 3.19 kernel which is much more modern and has better driver support. Getting wifi to work with the BBB is also a bit of a pain since the kernel is old and there's a known issue with interference from the ground plane below the USB port if you use the short little stubby USB wifi adapters (the workaround the BBB designer suggests is using a small 3" or so USB cable extension). The eMMC memory is nice but it's only 4GB which gets used up very quickly.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Moey posted:

I as going to same this same exact thing. This guy is reinventing the wheel.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Any of the boards from cubie are an excellent choice, and there's support for running in HYP mode so you can get hardware accelerated ARM guests if you want to.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

evol262 posted:

Any of the boards from cubie are an excellent choice, and there's support for running in HYP mode so you can get hardware accelerated ARM guests if you want to.

Is there a hypervisor for ARM that will run on the cubieboards?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know what the latency is for Pulseaudio audio streaming? I have a Chromebox running Arch and I have a Pi B that I'd like to set up a Spotify audio sink to. The goal is to stream over the network and play it on my stereo using the 3.5mm jack. I achieved a setup similar to this before using Rygel and tapping into that using OpenElec, but the stream was nearly 30 seconds behind whatever I for the stream. Should I expect similar results to the old setup?

I've tried Volumio and it's not quite what I want, it's Spotify integration is actually quite poo poo and consists solely of "play this Platlist". Most often I just play a Youtube mixtape.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah the BBB is nice, but it does have some downsides. The GPU isn't nearly as good as the Pi's GPU, and using the HDMI output kills almost half the GPIOs on the board (since they share pins with HDMI/video). They also still aren't on a mainline Linux kernel yet (but are really close from what I hear), so you're stuck with an ancient 3.8 kernel by default or a more modern 4.x kernel with some broken stuff. The Pi is on a mainline 3.19 kernel which is much more modern and has better driver support. Getting wifi to work with the BBB is also a bit of a pain since the kernel is old and there's a known issue with interference from the ground plane below the USB port if you use the short little stubby USB wifi adapters (the workaround the BBB designer suggests is using a small 3" or so USB cable extension). The eMMC memory is nice but it's only 4GB which gets used up very quickly.

OK, good to know. I was just going on reputation and what I could pull off the spec sheets :shobon:

I replaced both the roles I tried to use Pis for with low-power x86 machines instead.

I ended up getting a Zotac Zbox BI320 as a media PC. For $160 it came with a Haswell 2957U with iGPU, 2GB of memory (2 sockets), a 64 GB eMMC drive, and it's got a real SATA port for a 2.5" drive in case I ever feel the need for local storage or a SSD. It's not overpowered but it does fine running Kodi with 1080p playback, streaming, etc. Installing Windows updates was a bitch though, took about a week to get them all installed. Pulls about 5W idle and 15W loaded. I definitely wouldn't mind picking up another one, just haven't seen that price again.

I grabbed an Athlon 5350 as a fileserver. It runs ye olde SMB share, SABnzbd, Sonarr, Couchpotato, Seafile, my Git repo, that kind of thing. I'm gonna throw Jetty+Postgres and Jenkins on it for dev work and OpenVPN too one of these days too. You can pick up AM1 boards in bundles pretty often at Fry's for $40-60 (usually with the lower-tier 5150 or the Semprons), which I think is a pretty good deal. The J1800/1900/2xxx offer similar performance and can often be found in a similar price range. They do lack AES-NI which can increase CPU utilization when working with SSL, so that may be a consideration if that's a big part of your workload. Put it in that cheap Rosewill case and throw in a 4GB stick of memory and you're ready to roll. It's massively faster than a Pi at any one task and I can do multiple things in parallel. It's not a speed demon versus a real desktop processor but I never really feel like it's unacceptably slow either. Also, I can use standard x64 binaries. Pulls about 25-30W all up if I remember. My only complaint is that USB 3.0 doesn't work at all on my mobo, some kernel problem that I'm too :effort: to debug. I should try 15.04 now that it's out and see if that helps, but that would also be :effort:

I've always been curious about the Parallela and the Jetson TK1, just haven't actually gone out and bought one. If NVIDIA ever released an updated Jetson with a Tegra X1 on it I'd jump at the chance. The Odroid XU4 looks pretty sweet too actually - 2 Ghz octa-core, 1GigE, and USB 3.0 in a Raspberry Pi footprint.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 30, 2015

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa

Hadlock posted:

According to this guy Seafile is about 2-3MB/s on a B+ and just a couple of kb/s with Owncloud

https://www.ionas-server.com/blog/owncloud-vs-seafile-performance/

Seriously, never ever use a product that's built on top of PHP, it's like Duplos for the web when everyone else is at least using Legos, preferably Technics. The language itself might be ok (Facebook runs on it, but they've written their own extended, backwards compatible version of PHP because of it's limitations) but the people who use it for serious projects tend to be complete morons.

Nice! Once I take care of all of the Windows 10 related poo poo I need to do I'll start working on a Seafile install.

Speaking of, any word on Windows 10 for the Pi2?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Hadlock posted:

Is there a hypervisor for ARM that will run on the cubieboards?

KVM

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
It's not a Raspberry Pi, but I just ordered a DragonBoard 410c, a quad-core ARM64 SBC the size of a credit card with 1GB RAM, 8GB eMMC, Bluetooth and WiFi built in, HDMI and a decent GPU too, and micro-SD for storage. All for $75. Maybe I'll port libmraa while I hope someone works on SBCL or CCL for ARM64. Or maybe I should offer a board to someone hacking on those…

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
So I'm struggling on getting past the login stage of my Seafile install. I can access the login screen through its local IP address and my no-ip "cloudname".ddns.net domain, but I get a server error about a "server hiccup" and "engineers being notified". I have done two complete installs and followed this install with the only changes being the internal server name, changing the .no-ip.org references to .ddns.net and the name I used for my .ddns.net domain is obviously not the "mycloud" example. I'm not a network pro and Googling is failing. Any ideas?

Edit: I also use a static ip for wifi using a wpa_supplicant file.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Check the server (probably apache) error log.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

eschaton posted:

It's not a Raspberry Pi, but I just ordered a DragonBoard 410c, a quad-core ARM64 SBC the size of a credit card with 1GB RAM, 8GB eMMC, Bluetooth and WiFi built in, HDMI and a decent GPU too, and micro-SD for storage. All for $75. Maybe I'll port libmraa while I hope someone works on SBCL or CCL for ARM64. Or maybe I should offer a board to someone hacking on those…

Huh so this is effectively a new Moto G 2015, including GPS/GLONASS, GSM, 2G, 3G and 4G hardware, but half the RAM and Memory. It's also the most recent (and shiny-new) generation of ARM cpu, v8 which is one newer than the Raspberry Pi 2 (v7) and two newer than the regular Pi (v6). That's a hot piece of kit. That's like the Beaglebone Black of 2015/16

I guess the 2014 Moto E was released with the snapdragon 410 as well but the G is probably a device most people have actually seen in the wild, let alone heard of.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Hadlock posted:

Huh so this is effectively a new Moto G 2015, including GPS/GLONASS, GSM, 2G, 3G and 4G hardware, but half the RAM and Memory. It's also the most recent (and shiny-new) generation of ARM cpu, v8 which is one newer than the Raspberry Pi 2 (v7) and two newer than the regular Pi (v6). That's a hot piece of kit. That's like the Beaglebone Black of 2015/16

I guess the 2014 Moto E was released with the snapdragon 410 as well but the G is probably a device most people have actually seen in the wild, let alone heard of.

It is nice. If it had an ethernet interface it would be perfect.

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009
Has anyone been able to get a 3G usb modem working on a Pi? There are a couple of tutorials online but they're all pretty hacky, just wondering if there's an easier option out there.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

durtan posted:

I just downloaded it from MSDN, so I assume it will show up on the Windows 10 IoT page here soon, if it's not already there.

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa

37th Chamber posted:

If you care about speed, a raspberry pi is not the solution to your self-hosted backups.

It has terrible throughput, partly because of shortcuts they've taken to keep the device cheap.

So I missed running ./seafile.sh start and I got it to work successfully, but I'm maxing out at 50kb/sec speeds with an average around 10kb/sec. This includes overclocking to turbo and reducing the camera memory down to 16mb. I think I might go back to bittorrent Sync, but I don't know of a way to access data from outside my local network.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm still fiddling with Seafile, but it's way overpowered for what I need it for anyway (just hosting some jpegs and mp3s and documents for my personal use, plus the ability to upload/download). It's pretty educational as a project, though, you couldn't have gotten me to break out my noisy hot netbook to do this kind of elaborate install routine and configuration. But a silent little box running off of a cellphone charger? Lots more fun somehow.

Seafile is actually pretty attractive as a permanent thing, but rather than go after a banana board or whatever, I think I'm more likely to pick up something like an HP Stream or a NUC.

Is there an in-depth list of Raspberry Pi OS's somewhere? I'm looking at maybe using PressPi to put up a Wordpress site, fiddle around with that.

This is fun stuff. And of course I have a spare SD card with RetroPie on it.

FatUglyUseless
Dec 6, 2013

durtan posted:

Just checked my Action Pack Subscription. Nothing there yet.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I got an email about it at like 3 AM this morning. It's available here.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
One annoying thing is that you need a Windows 10 machine to unpack the image and get something to put on an SD card. Just an FYI in case you don't have a Win 10 box upgraded yet.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

mod sassinator posted:

One annoying thing is that you need a Windows 10 machine to unpack the image and get something to put on an SD card. Just an FYI in case you don't have a Win 10 box upgraded yet.

Why? Callin' BS, just push out an SD image MS.

All the same, it's a cool idea, and I look forward to some trip reports.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Does anyone have a recommended dirt-cheap eBay case shipped from China for RP B? There's a bunch of $3 shipped ones, but I'd love an actual positive review of one. Nothing fancy needed, it's just going to live on my desk.

I ended up buying this case for $2.51 with free shipping. If you don't need access to the GPIO pins it works great. I actually like it quite a bit better than the much more expensive one I bought off Amazon earlier this year.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

durtan posted:

People are going to be sad when they realize Win10 for rPI is just a dev platform and not "Windows."

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

eightysixed posted:

People are going to be sad when they realize Win10 for rPI is just a dev platform and not "Windows."

This is not helped by the marketing around Windows 10 Device (or whatever it's called) for Raspberry Pi 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
How realistic is it to use a Raspberry Pi for home security? I'm thinking motion sensor camera and alarm system. I get that you can do this but how well does it actually work is what I want to know.