Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is it a bad idea to buy a Moto 360 today? Are there any better watches in the ~$200 range, now or in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

xtal posted:

Is it a bad idea to buy a Moto 360 today? Are there any better watches in the ~$200 range, now or in the future?

Yes to every question if it has to be a black and white answer. The Moto 360 has glaring deficiencies but all of the Wear devices do as well. Right now I would say that the Zen watch is the best device/price combo but maybe you are willing to pay more for a device with a worse display and battery life because you think it looks better? There is nothing wrong with that.

What are you looking for? Square displays work better, round displays look like more common watches and like neater technology because they are so rare. OLED displays are better than LCD displays in watches but they will cost you more. The Moto 360 has the worst battery life by far but will get you through the day if the screen isn't always on, the rest of the watches will get you through the day with the screen on all the time but maybe you don't care about that.

What exactly are you looking for?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

Yes to every question if it has to be a black and white answer. The Moto 360 has glaring deficiencies but all of the Wear devices do as well. Right now I would say that the Zen watch is the best device/price combo but maybe you are willing to pay more for a device with a worse display and battery life because you think it looks better? There is nothing wrong with that.

What are you looking for? Square displays work better, round displays look like more common watches and like neater technology because they are so rare. OLED displays are better than LCD displays in watches but they will cost you more. The Moto 360 has the worst battery life by far but will get you through the day if the screen isn't always on, the rest of the watches will get you through the day with the screen on all the time but maybe you don't care about that.

What exactly are you looking for?

I want a round watch that can show me notifications and help me track calories burnt through walking. So, an accurate pedometer is probably the most important thing, with automatic calorie calculation or MyFitnessPal support being a big plus.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

xtal posted:

I want a round watch that can show me notifications and help me track calories burnt through walking. So, an accurate pedometer is probably the most important thing, with automatic calorie calculation or MyFitnessPal support being a big plus.

Calories burnt through walking is always going to be approximately zero, so you can broaden your search by eliminating that parameter.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Placid Marmot posted:

Calories burnt through walking is always going to be approximately zero, so you can broaden your search by eliminating that parameter.

What? This is extremely wrong. As wrong as nearly everything Three Olives said.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Most people in this thread when they compared their Android wear devices to fitbits/dedicated health wearables said that the pedometer on the wear device was wayyyy off, so if you're looking for an acurate pedometer uhhh maybe look elsewhere?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't even get consistent results between the Google Fit app and the Motorola one on my 360.

Also if my bus happens to get stuck behind a cyclist on the way home Fit thinks I spent that time actually cycling.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Placid Marmot posted:

what

Anyway, a Wear device isn't very accurate as a pedometer.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've been going to the gym a lot lately and wouldn't even consider wearing my Urbane. Comfort over silly inaccurate stats any day.

edit: oh and in OCD news I got another strap online to try to match the Urbane (i.e. more glossy)... and it is not quite matching enough to satisfy me still

That photo arguably makes the current strap look better. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 8, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I wear my Flex on the opposite arm from my 360 because it's just a far better fitness tracker.

Laat week my two year old Flex stopped working and customer support just sent me a new one without requiring a receipt or for me to send the broken one back. Good support.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

eyebeem posted:

What? This is extremely wrong. As wrong as nearly everything Three Olives said.

If you're going to record calories from walking you may as well record calories from chewing food or taking a shower, as the numbers aren't much different.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I picked up a cheap Sony Smartwatch 3 and I have been moderately happy with the purchase.

I went with the SW3 because it has a transflective display and I thought being able to view the screen in direct sunlight would be nice. Since getting it I've made a custom watch face that's essentially black with a big bold font used for the time and date. Combined with the transflective display I can see the info really clearly while the display is in ambient mode in the brightest direct sunlight which is fantastic.

The screen still turns on fully when a notification comes through but I've turned off the wrist-raising screen-on gesture because I don't need it for a quick glance at the screen anymore. This has caused the battery life to pretty much double.

I'm really enjoying being able to load some music/podcasts on to the watch, listen to them with a pair of BT headphones and leave my phone behind. It's also waterproof so I can wear it in the shower/bath and control whatever I'm listening to easily.

The only negative is the location of the charging port which can be fiddly to use.

/mini review

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Placid Marmot posted:

If you're going to record calories from walking you may as well record calories from chewing food or taking a shower, as the numbers aren't much different.

wrong.

Mayo just did yet another (out of like a billion studies) that puts the average calories burned for 46 minutes of walking at 314. That's 314 extra calories.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I wear my Flex on the opposite arm from my 360 because it's just a far better fitness tracker.

Laat week my two year old Flex stopped working and customer support just sent me a new one without requiring a receipt or for me to send the broken one back. Good support.

Seriously? The motor in my Flex died under warranty but I had already bought a Charge HR and forgot/was too lazy to get it replaced. I will try and get it replaced now and give it to my sister or something.

Actually in general I find myself surprised at how forgiving many companies are about warranties, I bought an expensive pair of running Bluetooth headphones and had my dog chew them up. I called the company and clearly explained what happened and said I was just hoping they could give me a discount on a new pair, I sent in a envelope full of chewed up headphone parts and they sent a brand new pair in a retail box via FedEX back for free. This is far from the first experience I have had like this but one of the best cases.

But yes, Pebble, G Watch R, G Watch all absolutely rubbish at any sort of fitness tracking, they won't even line up on walking around at work but I've checked my Charge/Flex against GPS and trail markers and once you set your stride it is very accurate, surprisingly so.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

wrong.

Mayo just did yet another (out of like a billion studies) that puts the average calories burned for 46 minutes of walking at 314. That's 314 extra calories.

Ah, yes, because chewing food and taking a shower take zero calories to do.
The difference between walking at a moderate pace for an hour and staring at a wall for an hour is similar to the difference between cycling at 13mph for an hour and cycling at 15mph for an hour - it's close to noise. If you're walking for exercise for long enough to burn a worthwhile number of calories, you're better off doing some actually-worthwhile exercise for a fraction of the time. For reference, 314 calories (minus BRM calories of course) is not a worthwhile number of calories to burn.
Indeed, as you highlight, the difference between true calories burned/pulse/paces and the calories/pulse/paces that your watch displays is picked at random depending which watch you get, how it fits on you, your style of walking, whether you walk on concrete or uneven ground, and any number of other factors, and may be greater than the difference between wall-staring and walking.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

dissss posted:

Also if my bus happens to get stuck behind a cyclist on the way home Fit thinks I spent that time actually cycling.

Finally, a no-hassle way to fit exercise into your day!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Placid Marmot posted:

The difference between walking at a moderate pace for an hour and staring at a wall for an hour is similar to the difference between cycling at 13mph for an hour and cycling at 15mph for an hour - it's close to noise. If you're walking for exercise for long enough to burn a worthwhile number of calories, you're better off doing some actually-worthwhile exercise for a fraction of the time. For reference, 314 calories (minus BRM calories of course) is not a worthwhile number of calories to burn.
Indeed, as you highlight, the difference between true calories burned/pulse/paces and the calories/pulse/paces that your watch displays is picked at random depending which watch you get, how it fits on you, your style of walking, whether you walk on concrete or uneven ground, and any number of other factors, and may be greater than the difference between wall-staring and walking.

Please stop

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Placid Marmot posted:

This is all dumb. All the Android Wear devices are complete poo poo at providing any meaningful data on calorie burn/exercise/steps walk/heart rate period. You can use GPS run tracking on the Smartwatch 3 but it has no HR and there are better and cheaper devices if you goal is just GPS run tracking.

If you are really serious about tracking calorie burn and do a meaningful amount of cardio (i.e. not just walking your dog on occasion) Fitbit offers two accurate devices, the Fitbit Charge HR and the Surge that will accurately track your calorie burn (As close as anything that costs $150-300) as well as function as daily wear activity trackers, if you aren't doing meaningful cardio other companies offer fine products as well. If you are really serious about running or biking or rollerblading or whatever Garmin offers an incredibly well respected line of products that are suitable up to elite level professional athletes.

Do not buy a Android Wear device for this purpose, don't even consider it, frankly they might as well rip this functionality out because it is completely useless and those of us that actually care about it use a secondary device or more than one. Seriously, they can not even accurately count steps. At best it might be able to tell you your heart rate when you ask it to, this is basically trivia, none of the wear devices can do true continuous heart rate tracking and that is the only way to get any meaningful data about your heart rate in the context of calorie burning or exercise.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I appreciate the advice because my understanding was that Android Wear was basically a superset of Fitbit/etc. After researching a bit more it seems like GPS-based fitness tracking is the best any device can do, and pedometer or heart-rate based tracking is a gimmick. So, I'm going to use my phone to measure distance and time and measure calorie expense based on that. I'm still interested in reading my notifications on a watch, but I don't mind waiting until the next generation for that. Thanks a lot to those of you who provided thoughtful replies.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Buy my Moto 360 and get fit, ya filthy animals

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735475

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Placid Marmot posted:

Just stop being wrong please.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android Wear news:

http://phandroid.com/2015/08/12/huawei-watch-launch/

Huawei Watch getting closer to a US release, they've set up an official website and etc.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/14/motorola-may-have-just-leaked-the-2nd-gen-moto-360-with-tweaked-design-and-another-flat-tire-screen/

Moto 360 2 getting closer to release. Looks like they are keeping the flat tire.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...t-gen-moto-360/

Moto 360 2 may come in 2 different sizes.

http://phandroid.com/2015/08/14/lg-nemo-android-wear-watch/

LG may be planning to one up the Huawei Watch's 286ppi display with a pixel density of around 340 to 400 ppi. I hope they have enough SoC oomph to drive it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I never understood the anger about the flat tire. While I no longer have a 360, when I did it was an absolute non issue. All these geeks online returning their 360 then blasting the new one because of that little flat portion are a unique bunch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

I never understood the anger about the flat tire. While I no longer have a 360, when I did it was an absolute non issue. All these geeks online returning their 360 then blasting the new one because of that little flat portion are a unique bunch.

It looks so awful.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It looks bad until you wear one every day and then you never even notice or care at all.

Plus the light sensor is good.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

It looks bad until you wear one every day and then you never even notice or care at all.

Plus the light sensor is good.

Oh I'm going to buy the new one, flat tire or not. I just wish it weren't there.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I have zero interest in a 360-2 with a flat tire. I like Huawei, but it is not really different enough from my Urbane, so I guess I will stop buying every single watch for a while.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Looks like Best Buy has the Moto 360 for $149.

Yay, or nay?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Hughmoris posted:

Yay, or nay?

That's when the metal band, which makes it a pretty good deal. I won't be plunking down the dough for a new one in the future so I ordered one. Picking up locally tonight (cool option through eBay). Worst case scenario I sell it down the line at a slight loss if the 360-2 completely wows me.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
You can apparently buy just the metal bands at best buy in the states for the moto 360. Don't see that option for Canada. Sucks because I want one badly.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

I have zero interest in a 360-2 with a flat tire. I like Huawei, but it is not really different enough from my Urbane, so I guess I will stop buying every single watch for a while.

You should have just kept the LG R, I literally had a woman sexualy assaulting me over it last weekend, the best I ever got out of my G Watch was men clumsy hitting on me asking if it was the Apple watch.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Oh that's just from my lingering pheromones.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
First full day with the 360. Really improved Android wear since I last tried it. Battery is at 12% after wearing it all day (19 hours). That's plenty for me.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Hughmoris posted:

Yay, or nay?

Anyone know how long this deal is going? Seriously thinking about finally grabbing one to replace my poor beat to death Pebble.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

BrownieVK posted:

Anyone know how long this deal is going? Seriously thinking about finally grabbing one to replace my poor beat to death Pebble.

Amazon also has it for $149. I don't think the deal is going away, the 360 is just getting older.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

At the Intel Developer Forum, Fossil showed off their new smart watch:

Just kidding, it's round-with-flat-tire and runs Android Wear.

I wonder how similar it will prove to be to the TAG Heuer design, which is also being done in collaboration with Intel.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

No specs and launching in the fall.

I don't understand what Google is doing with Wear, none of the Android Wear tech is exactly cutting edge so I don't understand why they are having such a hard time getting their partners to push out hardware in a timely manner.

I mean take the Urbane, it is physically identical to the G R besides the case and even it trickled out on to the market when the G R was already in mass production on the same line.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

They're not selling well or changing much from watch to watch. The watches need better aesthetics and marketing more than anything, can't believe how boring that Fossil is.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Reverse Centaur posted:

can't believe how boring that Fossil is.
Does Fossil have any watches that aren't boring? That isn't a name I'd expect to be pushing the envelope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Reverse Centaur posted:

They're not selling well or changing much from watch to watch. The watches need better aesthetics and marketing more than anything, can't believe how boring that Fossil is.

I was very disappointed reading this, I mean why even bother. What differentiates the "Fossil" from an Urbane? or Huawei? Other than an intel proc. Absolutely nothing.

Even though I hate the flat tire of the 360 ( and would never buy one, I don't care if you get used to it, it shouldn't be there in the first place! ), I do like that it has no bezels. It's a neat differentiator ( holy poo poo that is a word ).

The only difference I see with this fossil is...the strap? I could buy an Urbane, probably for cheaper ( you know Fossil is going to mark it up ), and a $10 band from Amazon.

I can't afford to replace my GWR, nor do I want to really ( although an Urbane would be nice for a more generic bezel ), but I'd like to think at this point that brands would be trying to do something special with the design since they can't with the OS.