Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Diet Crack posted:

Isn't that what OTP is for?

I guess I was speaking in reference to the beta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Jovial Cow posted:

You're going to need some very patient teammates to figure this poo poo out.

That sounds really weird.

So just so I get it straight; if you hold the stick to the right, your guy doesn't just skate to the right like in the old games, but rather a power meter builds up (similar to a golf game?) then he launches himself to the right at the equatable length of time you held the stick to the right? Cause that sounds....really lame. :confused:

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

KiddieGrinder posted:

That sounds really weird.

So just so I get it straight; if you hold the stick to the right, your guy doesn't just skate to the right like in the old games, but rather a power meter builds up (similar to a golf game?) then he launches himself to the right at the equatable length of time you held the stick to the right? Cause that sounds....really lame. :confused:

No power meter, and we're talking fractions of a second here, but in effect that's how it works yes. Full disclosure, I'm completely making numbers up here and the effect is probably exaggerated but this is what it feels like.

Let's say your left leg is on the left post, If you hold the stick to the right and keep holding it your guy will not immediately move to the right, he'll kind of load up his weight over his planted leg and after half a second he'll explosively push to the right and go all the way to the other side of the net. If you hold the stick to the right for a quarter of a second he'll be quicker to move to the right but he will only make it to the middle of the net, not all the way across. If you flick the stick to the right your guy will immediately move to the right but it will be a little tiny shuffle step and you won't even make it 1/4 of the way across.

So in effect playing goalie is constantly a stop start affair. Gone are the days were it was like a game of pong or brick breaker where you could continuously slide your guy left and right at will at a constant speed. It is now much more like playing actual goalie. It is very easy to get caught in between movements or over commit.

You can still sort of move like in NHL 15 but only when you are holding the precision movement button (which was the old hug the post button). If you hold this button you can move left and right continuously without stopping, but they are just shuffle steps and you probably move at 1/2 the speed or less that was possible in NHL 15.

Theoretically the new system is awesome because it's much more like how actual goalie is played. But right now in practice goalies are getting lit up. When you factor latency into the equation and with skaters being as face paced as they are you need to be able to make course corrections a la NHL 15.

I'm sure as we keep playing we'll figure out how to make the new system work (and I can't tell you how bad I want to figure it out), but the struggle is real right now that's for sure.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 3, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Has the EASHL camera always been so fidgety?

Huge difference from online team play in NHL 15. The "follow the puck" camera option means that if you're not by the puck you'll go offscreen.

EASHL in the beta, even when you tell it to follow the puck, will zoom out to keep your guy on the ice - which means you can end up completely missing goals and things on the other side of the ice.

Super frustrating, and not sure how to fix it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Narcissus1916 posted:

Has the EASHL camera always been so fidgety?

Huge difference from online team play in NHL 15. The "follow the puck" camera option means that if you're not by the puck you'll go offscreen.

EASHL in the beta, even when you tell it to follow the puck, will zoom out to keep your guy on the ice - which means you can end up completely missing goals and things on the other side of the ice.

Super frustrating, and not sure how to fix it.

Yeah, this is my #1 complaint with the beta. I play with the overhead camera also and it's still bad with this.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
So, longtime EASHL'ers: After a weekend w/ the beta what are your overall impressions of it on a yay/nay scale?

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I'm not long time eashler I've only played some otp games previously, I mostly play vs. but the game is definitely better than I expected. I've had fun playing about 20 games so far. I do get input lag about every other match and the precision skating and strafing thing is still mystery to me and seems not be like it was advertised.

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!
I think it's terrific. It feels significantly more like hockey and less like a video game than prior iterations. Theres a LOT more puck sloppiness, and sometimes it's wonky, but for the most part you can't sikk danglez your way through a forest without a care in the world. Everything feels like you need to be more deliberate about it, and if you plan your skating lines carefully and use the right deke at the right time you can still pull out magic. The builds need some balancing, but for the most party they're actually good and bad at what they advertise and it works better than I expected. Skating is, again, much more dliberate. Vision control isn't quite what it was back in the day but I suspect that a big part of that is that the D builds are just better at strafing and backskating, and I've been playing F most games. Shots are hard and less accurate, and combined with the more 'live' puck and less reliable puck pickups, the scoring plays look to me much more like what I'm used to seeing on television. Defense really rewards good gap control more than prior versions which is loving fantastic.

All in all I'm real pleased. Context: haven't missed a year of EASHL since the first one and it's basically the only mode I play.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

LegioPraetoria posted:

and less reliable puck pickups

Wait, what? This was pretty much my #1 biggest issue with 13 & 14 and now it's LESS reliable? That's pretty much why I stopped playing this game was the skate-over-puck-and-dude-doesn't-pick-it-up poo poo.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Duke Chin posted:

Wait, what? This was pretty much my #1 biggest issue with 13 & 14 and now it's LESS reliable? That's pretty much why I stopped playing this game was the skate-over-puck-and-dude-doesn't-pick-it-up poo poo.

You pick up what you should, and don't pick up what you shouldn't. Feels pretty good.

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah in a scrum you're not as likely to be able to snatch pucks up which is what I'm getting at. The stupid poo poo where your guy whiffs completely on a still puck whhile you're in a glide is gone, as is the dumb arbitrary thing where the game decides your guy is gonna change his line to get a puck more than a sticklength away

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Yeah the thing where player can pick up pass behind his back full speed without looking but then is blowing past stationary loose pucks seems to be gone.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Immediate impressions:

Mostly feels like NHL 14. Congrats taking 3 years.

Skating as a defenseman still kind of sucks. Still routinely end up facing 180 degrees away from the puck if you stand still at all. At speed it's ok, but when you slow down it turns into a big mess.

It seems everyone has crazy high poke check skill. Off stickhandling, poking passes, etc. The instance of successfully knocking the puck seems way too high.

Conversely, people who can one-hand away crisp passes with a poke check cannot receive a soft 10-foot pass themselves. Pass reception and loose puck pickup seems kind of lovely.

Goalies still doing the fall-on-rear end default save is so loving stupid I cannot handle it. How many years has it been?

Hitting sucks now, it basically takes a perfect check to knock someone over which means the stupid stumbly animations are more prevalent and bothersome. You can line a dude up perfectly but apparently because you're an offensive D it means your 200lbs of body isn't enough? Hitting should be the same and the hitting stats should affect things like frequency of penalties (roughing, elbow, etc) and effect on the other team ("intimidation" if that ever existed, causing injuries, etc.)

I like that overall it's harder for people to control the puck in traffic, and shots seem to hit something far more often. I think right now the instance of poking/blocking/etc. is a bit too high, but wouldn't want to see it come down too much vs the shitfest that was NHL15 and people just walking through 4 guys hitting/poking them.

I mean, on it's own it seems pretty solid. In the context of them taking 3 years to come up with next gen multiplayer it doesn't really stand out that much.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Pleads posted:

Goalies still doing the fall-on-rear end default save is so loving stupid I cannot handle it. How many years has it been?

Maybe since 2004.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Got a few games in on a pubbie team yesterday, game felt pretty good outside of some camera fuckiness. Its nice that you can't dangle around everyone, passing and team work looks to be really important which is good but also frustrating as my Sniper was bobbling soft passes everywhere - going to pick a playmaker instead next time I play and see if that feels much better. Can't really comment about the hitting although I did notice a distinct lack of any of it in the games I played.

Game desperately needs a drop in mode though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Zip! posted:

Game desperately needs a drop in mode though.

Very much this. just to get used to the different builds anyways.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So I hear hitting is down? Is it to the point where the best defence finally isn't a combination of stick checks and BIG HITZ and actually requires you to play positionally and time your movements, or is it just all stick checks now?

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Pleads posted:

Immediate impressions:

Mostly feels like NHL 14. Congrats taking 3 years.

Skating as a defenseman still kind of sucks. Still routinely end up facing 180 degrees away from the puck if you stand still at all. At speed it's ok, but when you slow down it turns into a big mess.

It seems everyone has crazy high poke check skill. Off stickhandling, poking passes, etc. The instance of successfully knocking the puck seems way too high.

Conversely, people who can one-hand away crisp passes with a poke check cannot receive a soft 10-foot pass themselves. Pass reception and loose puck pickup seems kind of lovely.

Hitting sucks now, it basically takes a perfect check to knock someone over which means the stupid stumbly animations are more prevalent and bothersome. You can line a dude up perfectly but apparently because you're an offensive D it means your 200lbs of body isn't enough? Hitting should be the same and the hitting stats should affect things like frequency of penalties (roughing, elbow, etc) and effect on the other team ("intimidation" if that ever existed, causing injuries, etc.)

I like that overall it's harder for people to control the puck in traffic, and shots seem to hit something far more often. I think right now the instance of poking/blocking/etc. is a bit too high, but wouldn't want to see it come down too much vs the shitfest that was NHL15 and people just walking through 4 guys hitting/poking them.

I mean, on it's own it seems pretty solid. In the context of them taking 3 years to come up with next gen multiplayer it doesn't really stand out that much.

I think passing and hitting are great. Play defensive D and you will plant people no problem. They're trying to make it a Rock Paper Scissors game and I'm 100% ok with it. You can still line Someone up as an offensive D but it's got to be one of those ones where the winger is coming head on with nowhere to go and even they you are falling down on the hit too.

As for passing I think it's brilliant, just takes some getting used to. Picking up passes is all about creating an angle to receive it. Gone are the days where wingers are skating directly away in a straight line from the D and they suction in a puck from behind them through their legs.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 4, 2015

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Whoops double post.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
hitting is harder what the gently caress

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

The 2BC guy put a montage vid up of all the goals they've scored so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3KwBlgtkn8

Basically keep passing until you score and play smart.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Zip! posted:

The 2BC guy put a montage vid up of all the goals they've scored so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3KwBlgtkn8

Basically keep passing until you score and play smart.

Or just do wrap-arounds apparently. I guess most of those are on human goalies, but yikes.

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!
Seeing the way that goalies flail around on those wraparounds especially makes me want to try goal and see just how messed up it is. In the game we played where JovialCow was goalie it sounded like someone had replaced his controller with an angry snapping turtle, or perhaps a puzzle box.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

LegioPraetoria posted:

Seeing the way that goalies flail around on those wraparounds especially makes me want to try goal and see just how messed up it is. In the game we played where JovialCow was goalie it sounded like someone had replaced his controller with an angry snapping turtle, or perhaps a puzzle box.

I watched a video on youtube and it did look pretty difficult. Not only are the controls completely different from last year, but it's just trickier by default. Like others said, it's not so much like Pong or foosball anymore, you're not just moving left or right to cover the angles. There seems to be a lot of mechanics behind movement now and that's pretty daunting to take on, especially with no single player practice mode.

I guess it's maybe a good thing there are more options (like I said before, NHL 14 was pretty much move left or right, that's all you can do) but it'll take a lot of getting used to.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There are a lot of dumb little things in regards to pick pickup, hitting and defensive ai (how about not skating into the post or immediately shooting a loose puck on the pk directly into the other team).

I think tuners will make it different on day 1. But the puck pickup is really bad overall. I don't care what your hitting is if a guy is stopped along the boards behind the net you should be able to physically affect him.

Also at times it really feels like auto aim is on during the beta.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
soooooo, who replaces Patrick Kane on the cover of NHL 16?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
drat - gurl - :nyd:

ed: just googled Kane and holy poo poo I didn't know that's what the investigation was about - time to scoot over to the N/V thread!

Also I hate that I'm most likely maybe probably gonna pick up NHL 16 this year :sigh: gently caress you EA

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

BETA EXTENDED

https://www.easports.com/nhl/eashl/...43&sf39841724=1

quote:

Thanks to the thousands of players who have strapped on the skates to play the NHL 16 EASHL Beta. We’ve been listening to your reactions through our social channels, forums, EASHL Surveys and are happy to announce that we have released an EASHL Beta Gameplay Tuner that will download automatically once you jump back into the beta.

To make sure that everyone gets time to experience the new gameplay tuner and offer additional feedback - We are extending the EASHL Beta until Monday, August 10, 2015, on both Xbox One and PlayStation 4. The beta will end between 10:00 am - 12:00 pm PT.

This tuner will only impact gameplay and will not affect other in-game elements such as presentation or online connection. This tuner will update EASHL player class attributes and general gameplay elements to make the game more balanced. As this is a beta, your current experience will not fully represent what will be in NHL 16 when the game launches in September. We are incredibly appreciative of all the feedback so far, and we will continue to improve and refine the experience.

EASHL Beta Gameplay Tuner:

Lowered AI faceoff attributes.
Lowered Power Forwards shot accuracy and chance to intercept the puck cleanly to make up for their strong puck control.
Lowered success of the standup goalie to cover the top of the net when in the butterfly.
Lowered strength of protecting the puck. Players will still absorb hits in the right situations, but it will lower the threshold of the strength of the collision to cause the player to stumble.
Lowered balance on all classes slightly to go hand in hand with the lowering of puck control strength when protecting the puck.
Decreased friction on boards to help regular passes kick around easier.
The goalie will favor the shooter more, taking away the short-side but will be more vulnerable to cross-ice passes as a result.
Lowered AI goalie speed moving across for passes.
Less goalie error on slower pucks on net towards their 5-hole.
Lowered AI goalie aggression to come out and play the puck and chance of flipping the puck over the glass.
Lowered goalie passing/shooting speed.
Decreased player controlled goalie speed in core movement (T-pushes and full butterfly pushes) to make them easier to control.
Lowered speed of goalie passing the puck out from their glove when they are covering the puck, and raised the ability for a near opponent to intercept it.
Increased player controlled goalies ability to make saves near their body when they are cutting off the angles, and decreased ability to make saves when they are back on the goal line and forced to reach out to the edges of the net.
Added a fix to prevent faceoff spamming from working.
Reduced wrap around success for shooters to be more in line with the player controlled goalies ability to get over.

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!
Lowered AI faceoff attributes

Thank loving christ.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

sba and i had a good run but we've now retired

thanks for the memories

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I feel like the NHL games have had demos before where everything felt fun and solid, then they do a full release tuner update and it all goes to poo poo.

Maybe I just didn't spend enough time with the demos for all the flaws to show up though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

triplexpac posted:

I feel like the NHL games have had demos before where everything felt fun and solid, then they do a full release tuner update and it all goes to poo poo.

Maybe I just didn't spend enough time with the demos for all the flaws to show up though.

The game normally stablizes around March when they stop loving around with the tuners. It's usually a shitshow until then.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

triplexpac posted:

I remember this from last year. The demo sold me as it allowed me to effectively cycle the puck in the offensive zone, and also intercept passes/slow down the rush when coming back. When the game came out it was not nearly as effective, and defaulted back to the AI having a magnet on it's stick.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I see a bunch of the old 'dozers playing the beta and I'm just over here getting my rear end kicked in Rocket League wishing I had a PS4 code :smith:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I see a bunch of the old 'dozers playing the beta and I'm just over here getting my rear end kicked in Rocket League wishing I had a PS4 code :smith:

Same but I'll play rocket league with you right now psn: TheDukeChin :hfive:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Duke Chin posted:

Same but I'll play rocket league with you right now psn: TheDukeChin :hfive:

This is a fine consolation, I sent you an invite

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Man, I wish I ever played EASHL with someone from this site as well as we play Rocket League. And more realistic physics to boot!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
We are what 10 - 3? Okay 10-4 now.

E: alright maybe 8-4 :shrug: Had a drat fine run going there though.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

taking the grind out of eashl is the best thing they've ever done

• Locked thread