Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I enjoy... video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The gently caress happened to your avatar, this is a tragedy

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Beef Chief posted:

I enjoy... video games.

Hmm. Not me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Beef Chief posted:

I enjoy... video games.

Jesus Christ. Keep that to yourself, thanks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

So how hard is it to collect the FFIX ultimate weapons?

The ultimate weapons aren't too bad, with like one or two exceptions (discounting Excalibur 2, but Ragnarok is a Chocograph treasure anyway iirc). A guide will be helpful just so you know where to dig, but they aren't missable or anything.

Quina's best weapon is the worst of them since forks have that awful, swingy FFT axe-style damage, so you can pretty much ignore it. I think you only need something like 60 or 70 frogs to get it, though, which isn't nearly as bad as it sounds and if you leave a mating pair at every pond, you can actually get it through normal play with no grinding. Still a crap weapon that does 50 damage as often as it does 3000.

Pretty much everything else is buried Chocobo treasures. The only exception is Vivi and Eiko, who I believe you find their ultimate weapons literally just lying on the ground in the final dungeon :downs:

e: Oh, I was thinking of the Bistro Fork, which is only 33 frogs. Yeah Gastro Fork blows, don't get it unless you really love FF9

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 8, 2015

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Hey if anyone cares Square said they're patching the random battles to be random in the PS4 FFX/FFX-2 ports.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

The ultimate weapons aren't too bad, with like one or two exceptions (discounting Excalibur 2, but Ragnarok is a Chocograph treasure anyway iirc). A guide will be helpful just so you know where to dig, but they aren't missable or anything.

Quina's best weapon is the worst of them since forks have that awful, swingy FFT axe-style damage, so you can pretty much ignore it. I think you only need something like 60 or 70 frogs to get it, though, which isn't nearly as bad as it sounds and if you leave a mating pair at every pond, you can actually get it through normal play with no grinding. Still a crap weapon that does 50 damage as often as it does 3000.

Pretty much everything else is buried Chocobo treasures. The only exception is Vivi and Eiko, who I believe you find their ultimate weapons literally just lying on the ground in the final dungeon :downs:

e: Oh, I was thinking of the Bistro Fork, which is only 33 frogs. Yeah Gastro Fork blows, don't get it unless you really love FF9

That sounds simple enough.Eiko's ultimate was one of the ones I was thinking most about too. Gonna need a good White Mage I figure for my endgame party. Actually, that brings anotehr question to my mind. I never cared enough about FFIX's gameplay to look into this but I always kinda wondered. Who is better between Garnet and Eiko? Is one objectively better than the other?

But thanks for the info. I glanced at a guide just to see if it had like a "summary" and it does seem like all the ultimate weapons you get from Chocobo digging, and some are found during the Chocograp Hunt, which means I can't miss them. That's pretty handy. This game is a lot nicer to you than FFX and its Celestial Weapons.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

NikkolasKing posted:

That sounds simple enough.Eiko's ultimate was one of the ones I was thinking most about too. Gonna need a good White Mage I figure for my endgame party. Actually, that brings anotehr question to my mind. I never cared enough about FFIX's gameplay to look into this but I always kinda wondered. Who is better between Garnet and Eiko? Is one objectively better than the other?

But thanks for the info. I glanced at a guide just to see if it had like a "summary" and it does seem like all the ultimate weapons you get from Chocobo digging, and some are found during the Chocograp Hunt, which means I can't miss them. That's pretty handy. This game is a lot nicer to you than FFX and its Celestial Weapons.

Eiko is a better White Mage, Garnet is a better Summoner. That being said, Eiko is probably the more useful of the two because the ability for other party members to heal is fairly limited while dealing damage is something anyone else can do. Double White being better than Garnet's special Summoning trance is what really seals the deal.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Who is better between Garnet and Eiko? Is one objectively better than the other?

They're kinda even, but Eiko has the better selection of white magic (she gets Holy and Full-Life and her Trance is doublecast white) and Garnet has better summons (her Trance is fuckin' weird*). They can both use racquets, but Garnet's ultimate weapon is the short range Whale Whisker staff while Eiko's is the long range Tiger Racket. They both get Reflect-Null, which has kind of an awkward description in-game but basically it lets you ignore all forms of reflect, whether it's casting Curaga on your reflected party or bypassing the enemy's to land Holy.

In the end, it all comes down to whether you even want a white mage in your party or not, and after that it's only a matter of taste.

*It's kinda hard to explain. Basically, Eidolon sets up a fifth, hidden ATB as long as Garnet's in Trance. When it fills up, it casts the weaker short-animation version of the last thing she summoned for free. Enemies have so few HP that you'd almost never notice it, though, and you'd probably never realize it except for late-game bosses with five-digit HP. The passive cast doesn't drain her Trance, so you can theoretically just have her hang out and skip her turn and get a bunch of free Bahamuts or Arks or whatever.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Question. I'm about finished with the platinum on FFX, but have been putting off the slog of completing the grid with a character or two and finishing the arena to work Penance. I'd like to start playing X-2 pretty soon. Should I just plan on playing it through with a guide and going for 100% on the first playthrough, or go in blind?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Go in blind, youtube the ending because going 100% killed most people's interest when they attempt it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Meridian posted:

Question. I'm about finished with the platinum on FFX, but have been putting off the slog of completing the grid with a character or two and finishing the arena to work Penance. I'd like to start playing X-2 pretty soon. Should I just plan on playing it through with a guide and going for 100% on the first playthrough, or go in blind?

Going for 100% in X-2 is kind of stressful because there are a million little things you can easily miss even if you follow a guide. I went for 100% since I never got the true ending on PS2 + I wanted the platinum and ended up with 99.9% (NG+ makes it very easy to make up for a few missing % if you just make some different plot decisions though)

It's probably best to just play through normally and maybe just look up the dressphere locations in advance so you don't miss any of those

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the 100% ending is the worst one anyway

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

Going for 100% in X-2 is kind of stressful because there are a million little things you can easily miss even if you follow a guide. I went for 100% since I never got the true ending on PS2 + I wanted the platinum and ended up with 99.9% (NG+ makes it very easy to make up for a few missing % if you just make some different plot decisions though)

It's probably best to just play through normally and maybe just look up the dressphere locations in advance so you don't miss any of those

It's going to be a struggle then, I really like to go for that 100%, but I suppose if I enjoy the game I won't have a problem playing it twice. Like a lot of other people I popped it in when it first came out, watched the intro cutscene and noped out of there immediately. Looking forward to seeing the battle system since it sounds like most people really like it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

They're kinda even, but Eiko has the better selection of white magic (she gets Holy and Full-Life and her Trance is doublecast white) and Garnet has better summons (her Trance is fuckin' weird*). They can both use racquets, but Garnet's ultimate weapon is the short range Whale Whisker staff while Eiko's is the long range Tiger Racket. They both get Reflect-Null, which has kind of an awkward description in-game but basically it lets you ignore all forms of reflect, whether it's casting Curaga on your reflected party or bypassing the enemy's to land Holy.

In the end, it all comes down to whether you even want a white mage in your party or not, and after that it's only a matter of taste.

*It's kinda hard to explain. Basically, Eidolon sets up a fifth, hidden ATB as long as Garnet's in Trance. When it fills up, it casts the weaker short-animation version of the last thing she summoned for free. Enemies have so few HP that you'd almost never notice it, though, and you'd probably never realize it except for late-game bosses with five-digit HP. The passive cast doesn't drain her Trance, so you can theoretically just have her hang out and skip her turn and get a bunch of free Bahamuts or Arks or whatever.

Hm...well, I am playing a mod that ramps up the difficulty. It seems very likely I'll be required to have a white mage in my party by the end just for their ability to heal the whole party in one turn.

That is a long, long ways off though. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. But Eiko seems like the better choice because summons just weren't worth it, at least in the vanilla game. You could easily replicate Ark's damage in a fraction of the time with Shock or Thievery or whatever else.

But who knows what might happen in the version I'm playing. That's kind of why I'm playing it in the first place.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

I went for 100% since I never got the true ending on PS2 + I wanted the platinum and ended up with 99.9% (NG+ makes it very easy to make up for a few missing % if you just make some different plot decisions though)

Doesn't Via Infinito give you like up to 5% extra if you manage to do everything?

Endorph posted:

the 100% ending is the worst one anyway

"is this even real?"
"i, uh :shrug:"

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Squallege posted:

Hey if anyone cares Square said they're patching the random battles to be random in the PS4 FFX/FFX-2 ports.

I care. Great news!

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Hm...well, I am playing a mod that ramps up the difficulty. It seems very likely I'll be required to have a white mage in my party by the end just for their ability to heal the whole party in one turn.

That is a long, long ways off though. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. But Eiko seems like the better choice because summons just weren't worth it, at least in the vanilla game. You could easily replicate Ark's damage in a fraction of the time with Shock or Thievery or whatever else.

But who knows what might happen in the version I'm playing. That's kind of why I'm playing it in the first place.

I had always though Eiko was flat out better, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything in the original game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I beat Yunalesca and it feels like it's gearing up for the endgame. Should I be doing sidequests/getting the celestial weapons?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Calaveron posted:

So I beat Yunalesca and it feels like it's gearing up for the endgame. Should I be doing sidequests/getting the celestial weapons?

Yunalesca is pretty much the hardest boss in the game during story content. If you level up a little bit you should be fine going on to the end without picking up celestials. If you jump through the hoops to tackle monster arena creations and grind out your celestials, by the time you get to the final boss you'll kill him in a few hits.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Calaveron posted:

If you do even some optional stuff you will probably wreck the two final bosses of the game without any difficulty.

Also I personally never liked any of FFX's sidequests so i skipped them.Up to you of course.

Meridian posted:

I had always though Eiko was flat out better, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything in the original game.

Well of course. It's not that hard of a game. You can probably beat it with any party without any trouble.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

If you do even some optional stuff you will probably wreck the two final bosses of the game without any difficulty.

Also I personally never liked any of FFX's sidequests so i skipped them.Up to you of course.

Well of course. It's not that hard of a game. You can probably beat it with any party without any trouble.

Yeah. I haven't played the game in a long time, but I don't recall it being that difficult especially if you use a party of characters with the guaranteed 9999 attacks with preparation. That's not even necessary though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Get Auron and Yuna's celestial weapon since a) they're piss easy to get and b) holy lol do they flat our wreck the end game.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Barudak posted:

Get Auron and Yuna's celestial weapon since a) they're piss easy to get and b) holy lol do they flat our wreck the end game.

Powering them up isn't too bad. Auron's requires some monster capturing, but if you plan to do that anyway you'll need 10 of every monster and get his crest as part of that. Yuna's is easy mode too.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Wow I'm looking at some of the requirements for these things and people actually did this? No thanks.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

I think it's kinda silly to make a super strict divide between the two

Sure, to have a good story you're probably gonna need good characters anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Wow I'm looking at some of the requirements for these things and people actually did this? No thanks.

In the not somehow worse international version getting Yuna and Auron's can be done at roughly the same time, requires some good and short grinding, and takes you on a fun little sidequest path with optional bosses and more story and cutscenes.

Whoever got Lulu's hates themselves.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Calaveron posted:

The lightning dodge one is easy once you get the rhythm down.

The worst was the chocobo race once. :suicide:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Like I'm fairly sure I've gotten the best weapons or at least most of them in all of the FF games I've played but this poo poo seems beyond tedious.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Like I'm fairly sure I've gotten the best weapons or at least most of them in all of the FF games I've played but this poo poo seems beyond tedious.

To be quite honest, they're really not worth it. The entire post game with the exception of Dark Yojimbo can be cheesed rather easily with Yojimbo and the rewards for doing the post-game is less than "congratulations". If you want the final dungeon to be hard and the final boss a bit of a challenge, skip them. Otherwise getting a team with the three easiest to obtain (Rikku, Yuna, Auron) will absolutely explode the final part of the game without need to get the other jerks ultimates.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

just get yunas and all the secret summons. the summons are both fun and strong enough to let you cruise through the end

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also getting Seymours summon lets you troll him in the fight which is a nice touch.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
But man all of the celestial weapons look so cool.
Except Auron's which looks stupid and I don't think Wakka's is regulation.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

To be quite honest, they're really not worth it. The entire post game with the exception of Dark Yojimbo can be cheesed rather easily with Yojimbo and the rewards for doing the post-game is less than "congratulations". If you want the final dungeon to be hard and the final boss a bit of a challenge, skip them. Otherwise getting a team with the three easiest to obtain (Rikku, Yuna, Auron) will absolutely explode the final part of the game without need to get the other jerks ultimates.

Doesn't getting Yojimbo to reliably use Zamnato require just following a step=by-step guide listing all the factors that effect it? I looked at that once and it was really loving boring.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat

NikkolasKing posted:

Doesn't getting Yojimbo to reliably use Zamnato require just following a step=by-step guide listing all the factors that effect it? I looked at that once and it was really loving boring.

Choose the 3rd option when negotiating (defeat strongest foes).
Counter his initial offers with 3 specific numbers found in the guide for the lowest possible price.
Toss 262144 Gil at him during battle.
Get Zanmato roughly 50% of the time and everything (except the underwater fiend in the arena) dies.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
With the busted RNG in the PS4 version, you could probably due some ridiculous Zanmato tricks.

Tae posted:

Optimistic news I guess, but Tabata put more info out there:

-If you factor out bug testing and localization, FF15 would be out much sooner as to reinforce how far the game really is.
-He's been talking with the Just Cause team on their air control physics, possibly wanting to add that for airship control.

Tabata should be careful. I think Just Cause was made by a eco-terrorist group that blew up two Mako reactors.

And Just Cause's use of procedural generation to stream assets may not be applicable for his game.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

NikkolasKing posted:

Another difference between the two is that Dagger gets status spells that Eiko doesnt, like Confuse, Blind and Berserk. That may or may not make a difference in your playthrough :v:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Garnet is cool because Odin can instantly kill enemies with a pretty decent success rate if you have 99 Ore (which you probably will if you do the chocograph stuff) and it seems like none of the random encounter enemies have an immunity to death

I dunno I'm just used to completely ignoring instant death spells/summons in FF games so it's neat that Odin isn't useless (I guess VIII Odin is still the best though)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Veks posted:

Another difference between the two is that Dagger gets status spells that Eiko doesnt, like Confuse, Blind and Berserk. That may or may not make a difference in your playthrough :v:

Those are White Magic? That's interesting. Some kind of arbitrary labeling here where Sleep is a Black Magic but Confuse is a White Magic.

But I think statuses will probably be very useful, at least against normal enemies. Can't say for certain though as I haven't even done Festival of the Hunt yet. And in fact, if memory is serving me right, I won't be playing as Dagger again for quite some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also Garnet's best damaging eidolon isn't Ark, it's actually Atomos. Because gravity attacks in FF9 are based on maximum HP, not current HP. The percentage it deals is equal to 30 plus the number of amethysts in your inventory, and the percentage can exceed 100%. That makes it guaranteed instant death against anything with less than 9999 HP, and guaranteed 9999 damage for everything else.

Except bosses. Bosses are immune to Atomos.