Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Poil posted:

Yes! Cable lifts, suspended trains, canals with gondolas, those flat escalator things that run on the ground, segway trains and all kinds of stuff.

My city won't be complete without an underground chairlift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

MikeJF posted:

How can they not be station like? I mean, I said metro had full stations as in a full platform, as distinct to light rail which are basically bus shelters. (Or when they're running on road as trams, often not even that. Just get off when the light is red)

Heavy rail in this game is definitely unlike urban rail simply because the passenger stains loving huge, and yeah, it seems more like regional rail. But... I mean, I come from a city where there's electric city rail, some of which is underground, much is on surface level, with small regular platforms... and then regional rail is just the same tracks extending beyond electrification. Cargo trains or regional diesel come in on the same tracks, sometimes overtaking the city rail.

I just assume when people say station, they mean classic "stations" with buildings and sometimes parking. Many LIRR/Metro North stops have these, as do many NJ Transit stops. Subway stops here are usually just platforms with entrances/exits and sometimes a booth with a person in it, except for the bigger stops with multiple trains, which have all kinds of connecting tunnels and sometimes even have news stands in them (or even some full fledged retail shops which is very rare.)

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
All this new stuff and still no new sirens. :negative:

ToastyPotato posted:

I just assume when people say station, they mean classic "stations" with buildings and sometimes parking. Many LIRR/Metro North stops have these, as do many NJ Transit stops. Subway stops here are usually just platforms with entrances/exits and sometimes a booth with a person in it, except for the bigger stops with multiple trains, which have all kinds of connecting tunnels and sometimes even have news stands in them (or even some full fledged retail shops which is very rare.)

LIRR stations are just parking lots and platforms as well, they're just more suburban in style. Although the LIRR sucks only because every time a long islander makes a "change at Jamaica" joke it makes me want to bury a hatchet in their face.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
On the subject of metros, here are some of Fishbus's excellent metro stations with multiple platforms:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=495018039

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I really just want a Chicago style elevated rail.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

ShootaBoy posted:

I want Wuppertal style hanging monorails.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Has anyone tried to replicate the insanity of the Texas highway system? I just got back from my first trip to Austin & San Antonio and was completely blown away with how insanely different it was. I've found a few workshop assets but I'd like to see if anyone had any suggestions before I spend days trying to set it up and inevitably screwing it up.
Different as opposed to what?

Koesj posted:

Yeah...

Basically, you need tons of space. That particular interchange is *only* about 40 units in the diagonal, but a whopping ~150 in length for the merges to look sweet and tidy. Get precision engineering, fine road heights, and probably no pillars as well. Then you can experiment with really big and flowing set-ups.

Do it in-map since the asset editor is way too small. Enable the money cheat since gently caress it, you're doing art, not some kind of bideo game for children.
There are no feeder roads. :colbert:

But yeah I tried to make a proper stack interchange in the asset editor and gave up because there was simply not enough room.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 7, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

"Things never once spoken by people who have lived in Chicago."

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Inverness posted:

There are no feeder roads. :colbert:

But yeah I tried to make a proper stack interchange in the asset editor and cave up because there was simply not enough room.

You mean frontage roads :v:

I've tried doing some 5-level stacks but fuuuck thaaat if it's not perfectly symmetrical. You've basically got to do a bespoke design every time, and my cities are hella throwaway.

The asset designer can be okay for building blocks of interchanges, but I end up doing them from the ground up anyway.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

I did a tour of Chicago and was stunned at how crazy loud the el was, and when the tour guide said they were spending hundreds of millions of dollars to replace the hindered m hundred year old shakey riveted iron stuff, being from Dallas with an all-reinforced concrete elevated light rail system, I piped up and asked, "is it being replaced with a concrete version to cut down on the noise and corrosion issues?" They all looked at me like I was crazy.

The el is the noisiest drat thing, holy poo poo, if you're within half a block of it while a train is passing by, it's so loud you can't shout over it. In 2015. What the hell. It's like Chicago peaked in 1927 and completely forgot to upgrade their transit infrastructure in the last century.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I did a tour of Chicago and was stunned at how crazy loud the el was, and when the tour guide said they were spending hundreds of millions of dollars to replace the hindered m hundred year old shakey riveted iron stuff, being from Dallas with an all-reinforced concrete elevated light rail system, I piped up and asked, "is it being replaced with a concrete version to cut down on the noise and corrosion issues?" They all looked at me like I was crazy.

The el is the noisiest drat thing, holy poo poo, if you're within half a block of it while a train is passing by, it's so loud you can't shout over it. In 2015. What the hell. It's like Chicago peaked in 1927 and completely forgot to upgrade their transit infrastructure in the last century.

A century of corruption does terrible things.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Hadlock posted:

It's like Chicago America peaked in 1927 1975 and completely forgot to upgrade their transit infrastructure in the last half century.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
What the hell is a bike lane anyway? I live in houston.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Anyone have any idea why the intersection editor appears to be completely broken for me? It wasn't working last month; I have since reformatted and reinstalled (for unrelated reasons) and done a full out reinstall. Even disabling all mods, you can click on this loving road until you're blue in the nuts and nothing ever happens.

gently caress you, little road icon

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Fargin Icehole posted:

It is a drizzling of sense on a sheet cake of madness.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Hadlock posted:

I'll never forget walking past a rusty el pylon and noticing a last-painted date of 1976 on it. But that's the charm!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
You can tell Chicago never gets earthquakes.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Hadlock posted:

At least the el doesn't have to stop for cars downtown with at grade crossings like the DART trains do.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Man, gently caress you people, the El is one of our goddamned treasures here. And replacing it with concrete would involve ripping up basically some of the wealthiest parts of town, which ain't gonna happen. Nobody who lives here minds the noise.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

xzzy posted:

Hey where I'm from you're lucky if the bus stops within 2 miles of your place pal. I'll take whatever public transport I can get. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

smr posted:

Man, gently caress you people, the El is one of our goddamned treasures here. And replacing it with concrete would involve ripping up basically some of the wealthiest parts of town, which ain't gonna happen. Nobody who lives here minds the noise.

As someone who lives in Illinois and frequents Chicago, the reason the people of Chicago are not bothered by the L is because they have lived there so long that they have gone loving deaf from driving/walking/riding near or on it for so drat long. You don't mind the noise because you can't hear it anymore.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Fargin Icehole posted:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This is the worst thing I've ever seen.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

MikeJF posted:

Kelly cartoons are a satirical feature from the satirical publication "The Onion".

Airconswitch fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 8, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Airconswitch posted:

Kelly cartoons are a satirical feature from the satirical publication "The Onion".

Thank god.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

MikeJF posted:

beep boop

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
That's not satire, that's Escape from New York!

(Love the medieval castle cone on that guard tower)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

piratepilates posted:

I want Wuppertal style hanging monorails.

Seriously look at how rad this is:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Airconswitch posted:

Sometimes we get to learn about his life under the guise of a political cartoon. His dad left the family out of the blue one day, he was kicked out of the house and became homeless, he married a woman he hates and had kids that never talk to him, and now he's divorced and angry.

Edit: A recent cartoon showed he wanted to make children's books rather than be a political cartoonist. You can see all of The Onion's totally real political cartoons here. http://www.theonion.com/graphic/sun-burned-50985

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

piratepilates posted:

:ohdear:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

MikeJF posted:

:lol:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

piratepilates posted:

That is loving terrifying. I mean it looks cool, but it is terrifying.

From pictures, the Chicago Els look exactly like NYC elevated trains, so I assume they are just as loud. If you lived right next to a stop there is literally no way in hell that you do not have hearing loss. There was a recent news story about one stop in Queens that has a school right next to it, and the teachers have to stop teaching every time a train passes because it is that loud. My friend lived around the corner and it was impossible to watch TV, listen to music, or talk if the windows were open and a train passed. There is one part in the Bronx where the train comes within inches of a building on a turn.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

From pictures, the Chicago Els look exactly like NYC elevated trains, so I assume they are just as loud. If you lived right next to a stop there is literally no way in hell that you do not have hearing loss. There was a recent news story about one stop in Queens that has a school right next to it, and the teachers have to stop teaching every time a train passes because it is that loud. My friend lived around the corner and it was impossible to watch TV, listen to music, or talk if the windows were open and a train passed. There is one part in the Bronx where the train comes within inches of a building on a turn.

It's in Germany though so it's probably perfect.

Switzerland also has really cool looking transit, stuff like trams going over old bridges over picturesque rivers.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Having ridden in it, the only thing slightly worrying is the amount it sways left and right when it turns a corner. Regular users probably have pretty good sea legs.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

ArchangeI posted:

Having ridden in it, the only thing slightly worrying is the amount it sways left and right when it turns a corner. Regular users probably have pretty good sea legs.

Like us regulars on Boston's Green Line

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Are there any goon modders? Bought the game and geek in me wants to have a branded coffee shop with my coffee companies logo.

Looked at the asset editor and it's not something I feel comfortable with. can offer free bags of coffee in exchange?

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Standing on a hay wagon trains you pretty well for the movements of a metro. I'm not a bumpkin.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

MasterControl posted:

Are there any goon modders? Bought the game and geek in me wants to have a branded coffee shop with my coffee companies logo.

Looked at the asset editor and it's not something I feel comfortable with. can offer free bags of coffee in exchange?

Do you barter exclusively with your customers or do some of them use a form of currency?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Decrepus posted:

Do you barter exclusively with your customers or do some of them use a form of currency?

As a small business operator, I've learned to love the barter economy. Let's say I have a profit margin of 50% on my product (not unheard of for value-added food, my industry). If I can give you $10 worth of product instead of $10 cash in exchange for something, I've effectively paid you $5 instead of $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I also like the idea of bartering video game models for coffee. Sounds like fun.