Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The fully dried ones are essentially plastic at this point so bin them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have a small room that I'm turning into my hobby room, for painting minis or whatever else. I need to paint the walls, and it has a low-hanging fluorescent shop light in there. Do you think that the wall color would mess with my perception of color on my minis?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

signalnoise posted:

I have a small room that I'm turning into my hobby room, for painting minis or whatever else. I need to paint the walls, and it has a low-hanging fluorescent shop light in there. Do you think that the wall color would mess with my perception of color on my minis?

Possibly. The color of the walls can be reflected on to everything else in the room and tint it just ever so slightly. It's much more apparent in photography when you photograph models or any kind of fine art for documentation. But I doubt that it would do much to your perception of color. I'd just paint the walls in some kind of neutral color.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Fluorescent lighting is generally pretty bad for color.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I literally cannot face painting more green: what do you guys think would be good colours for haqq'islam? I was thinking crimson fist blue and light grey cloaks. What are good vallejo/reaper/etc colours for that rich dark blue?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
http://www.reapermini.com/Thecraft/24

Oh my god this solves SO many problems I've had with leaf flock, namely painting them different colors.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Solid, dried paints are useless, maybe a chemist would know how to reconstitute them. If any are soft pour water into the pot and stir them with a brush handle a day or two later.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR

shoplifter posted:

I'm getting back into the hobby after a loooong time, and I have about $100 in paints I purchased over a decade ago, a mix between Reaper (in pots) and GW (some flip top, some screw off lids). Obviously when I opened up my paints, they were in various states, from separated, to gummy, to fully dried out. Most of the separated/gummy paints I feel like I've been able to mix back to a good consistency with a little extra liquid and elbow grease. The fully dried ones I'm not confident in doing anything at all with. The GW paints were all in a much worse off state, but even half of those I've tried seem to have 'come back' with little issue.

Basically, how hosed am I, and should I bother taking the 5 minutes per pot to get the rest mixed back up? I'm not going to even attempt to use anything that I don't feel good about, but I don't want to fool myself into thinking the ones I think are OK actually are.

buy vallejo's basic set and their civil war set and you will have a pretty good spectrum to start with

never ever buy flip tops again.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like I'm on the right track, and with some good judgement as to what's good and bad, I'll be ok. Most of it has been relatively obvious so far.

When I bought everything my FLGS didn't carry dropper bottles. The two droppers of Vallejo I had are both great. I absolutely will be buying only droppers in the future.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Post 9-11 User posted:

Solid, dried paints are useless, maybe a chemist would know how to reconstitute them. If any are soft pour water into the pot and stir them with a brush handle a day or two later.

would microwaving them do anything??

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
No.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Slimnoid posted:

http://www.reapermini.com/Thecraft/24

Oh my god this solves SO many problems I've had with leaf flock, namely painting them different colors.

I need to get outside for a walk, I'm sure there must be walking trails nearby with loads of birch trees. I've paid for bags of the stuff but hell free leaves for models!

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

signalnoise posted:

As Base Emitter said, the lights are your primary concern. Research and buy a good tube, that'll get you very far. With my old standard flourescent light, I could not tell green from brown. At all!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

would melting via a flame do anything?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

krushgroove posted:

I need to get outside for a walk, I'm sure there must be walking trails nearby with loads of birch trees. I've paid for bags of the stuff but hell free leaves for models!

Bring a ziplock bag when you do, because that stuff will get EVERYWHERE otherwise.

Also, your location will depend on when they start dropping, as well as the species of the tree itself. It can be anywhere from late spring to early autumn, so you probably want to do a little research on that. Over here in New England we usually see them budding around mid-September straight on until November.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'd take a wild stab at make fire, possibly make noxious fumes, probably burn your house down.

be sure to livestream the attempt :v:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
hmmmm

boiling it in water???

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
The paints are gunked up as the moisture in them has evaporated over time. Why would applying heat in any shape or form help?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You will probably get some hot, slightly soft plastic.

It's a chemical as well as physical change when acrylic paint cures, as I understand it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gamma rays?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Only if you really want muscly green minis.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
This only works for living scrunts, not plastic ones.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Moola posted:

hmmmm

boiling it in water???

This would have the closest chance of working, but if you boil it heavily you might denature the solvents. So if you're going this route, draw the line at what you'd drink for tea or coffee, and try immersing the chunk in a warm bath for a bit.

Obviously, what you're most likely to get at the end of this is a severly watered down paint. So kind of seems not worth it. I suppose you can just immerse the bottle with gunked paint and top open in a warm bath and maybe the wet palette effect will work?

I'm kind of curious now.

Definitely don't apply heat directly that will dry it out even more, but warmed water might work.

Edit: this is for acrylics. If it's oil, and there's a resuscitation procedure, I don't know what it is. Look on art forums. Probably not possible most of the time.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Moola posted:

would melting via a flame do anything?

That only works with a full set of Warhammer Fantasy figurines.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I dont actually have any paints that have dried

I was just wondering :downs:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

So, I went and tinted some birch seed today for the first time.

These were from some pods I grabbed near the end of November 2013 and kept in a bag since then, hardly touched. Before I tinted anything I baked them in an oven as per the directions, and from there on followed exactly what the tutorial said. To speed up the drying time I threw each batch into the microwave on parchment paper at 15-second intervals, sifting the piles around and running them lightly through fingers to prevent clumping. I did this about 5 times for each batch.

Thoughts:

- Yellow is a pain in the rear end. It might have been from the paint I selected, but it came off as much more watered-down than the photo suggests, and there was more clumping than any of the other two. Yellow is just a pain in the rear end to work with anyway, but I think next time I'll try using GW Golden Yellow instead--there seems to be more pigment in there. Possibly tinting it with white first and then yellow, to make it pop more, but that might be more effort than is really worth it.

- If you want to do this in large batches you'd probably be better off ordering large bags of birch seed. Or you live near a bunch of birch trees or something. If you want to cover terrain with this stuff you're going to need a lot of it, basically, and this used up 3/4th of the bag I had, which was maybe a cup and a half worth of the stuff. It's more than enough for me for what I'm going to use it for, but army-wide stuff is going to be troublesome.

- I'm not sure what orange color this is but I am SUPER happy with the end result. Rust Brown worked great for a first try, and straddles the line between brown and red very well.

- I want to try other colors, like blue and purple and pink. Would make for some interesting alien terrain I think.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I have no idea why but you're right yellow is always 100% bullshit to apply compared to literally any other colour.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Do they not use cadmium pigments for yellows?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

Hell if I know. If they do, it probably depends on the brand.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

everythingWasBees posted:

It does depend on the brand, cadmium is a bit toxic and also more expensive (we need our batteries okay) so you'll see a lot of "cadmium yellow (hue)" on non-miniature paints to indicate they're matching the hue but not using cadmium specifically.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Crossposting from the 40k thread:

Star Man posted:

Welp, my project this week is to get this image painted on to a space marine command squad banner:

Wish me luck.

Have most of my colors blocked in. Now comes the fun part of doing all the poo poo I've ever learned as an oil painter on such a tiny format.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I just want you to know that I support your endeavor 1000%.

Please tell me your commander is named Lord or Road British

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Silhouette posted:

I just want you to know that I support your endeavor 1000%.

Please tell me your commander is named Lord or Road British

Well, it is now.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ran into with an issue with some spray today, army painter white. Not sure what caused it but the first half of the minis were fine, but when I flipped em over to do their backs the spray went weird and has left a very rough texture, almost like grit or something?

I don't think it's an issue with humidity or whatever as I also sprayed some other stuff black and had no issues with that.

Is my best bet to strip em and try again? Or will it smooth itself out if I just paint it as-is?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Zark the Damned posted:

Ran into with an issue with some spray today, army painter white. Not sure what caused it but the first half of the minis were fine, but when I flipped em over to do their backs the spray went weird and has left a very rough texture, almost like grit or something?

I don't think it's an issue with humidity or whatever as I also sprayed some other stuff black and had no issues with that.

Is my best bet to strip em and try again? Or will it smooth itself out if I just paint it as-is?

Strip and reprime. Skunky spray happens for a variety of reasons, don't sweat it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I bought a MixKwik for this reason

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I've never experienced anything fixing itself with that sort of stuff :(

I've finished some stuff:

Grey Knight Terminator squad (3D printed backpacks and guns):

Librarian:

Dreadknight (15mm Leviathan):

Dread converted from centurion:

Everything is a bit rough, as I had a deadline and had to paint it all with nothing but the gloomy Danish summer as a light source. I'll probably go back over them once I get our new workshop set up.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
They are a bit drab, the Dreadknight needs his finishing details, but they look terrific. The clear bases are neato, going to stick with them?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I agree. Once I get them under proper lighting I'll add some edge highlights and deepen the shadows a bit. Any further suggestions to make them pop? I'm thinking some of the red/white stripe design on the marine weapons maybe? For the knight and dread I should probably look intro weathering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
More bases!

I think this is what im gonna do for this army, prefer it to the wet mud

sorry for lovely phone quality, not much light atm