Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
What weapons should I be looking out for if I'm doing an Int-build? A google search seems to suggest Moonlight Greatsword, Watcher's Greatsword and Ice Rapier, but those are all pretty late-game items. At the moment I'm using a Magic Longsword +6, but I'm getting sort of tired of it.

Also, I heard the MLGS was nerfed since I last played, so I wasn't sure if it's overshadowed by something else now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Ice Rapier, IIRC, is attainable theoretically as soon as you unlock Drangleic Castle, so really that's more the midway point.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Dragonrider's Twinblade is pretty drat good and can be gotten quite early. With the stats for that you could infuse a murakumo and use Santier's for when you need pure physical damage.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

fennesz posted:

He's still not wrong.

Yeah he is. :)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

CJacobs posted:

The real answer is that DS1 used GFWL which doesn't have any native capability for automatically detecting hacking and all reports to the system are done manually by both players to From and From to GFWL. Now that it doesn't use GFWL, From can track it in the same way they do DS2 most likely, but the game's not new anymore so they probably don't care.

This sounds right to most people, but is actually wrong! Allow me to explain.

DS1 in the GFWL era was actually safer than DS2. GFWL had some anti-debugging ability, meaning that the majority of people could not attach a debugger to the game and have it be online at the same time. Since most hackers are griefers, this prevented a lot of CE script-based bullshit for a long time.

An end result is that there's still a good amount of DS1 stuff only a very short list of people besides me know how to do.

DS2's anti-cheat measures are literally inferior to GFWL-era DS1's in every way that matters.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been trying several lower level characters just for exploration purposes. One I've had a lot of success with was a level 80 370k SM char that uses murakumo, rapier, watcher shield, drangleic chest, and legs. I think it's a pretty strong PvE and PvP build, though it's best to swap out the rapier for the kite blossom shield sometimes in PvE. I'm surprised how much protection is offered by the drangleic mail. Murakumo + rapier is a pretty strong overall combination at those levels because of the massive horizontal slashes and quick pokes. At higher levels, you'd probably want heavier and harder hitting weapons though. I'll probably tackle the DLCs and level up some to use Sanctum Mace + Gargoyle Bident next.

I'm not really sure where dex/faith comes from, but it seems that dex/int would be superior overall. The only weapons that seem to benefit from dex/faith are the heide knight spear, heide knight lance, and black knight halberd. The lance is pretty hard to deal with, especially the 2H strong attack. It seems parrying is the way to go, but I've only been up against it twice, so I have no idea on the timing. For the mos part, dex/faith as a concept seems to be a left over from when miracles were a strong PvE option when the game originally came out.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

In other words, they turned it into DS1 in terms of optimal attack stats over time.

Well OK, I'm discounting Darkmoon Blade, but still.

It's kind of comical, actually.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
idk, I think there's 3 ways to go.

Str/Dex with a large main hand weapon and a quick offhand weapon.
Dex/Int good main hand weapon plus sorcery/pyromancy
Int/Faith best weapon you can slot in given your SL plus hexing/pyromancy

I didn't do much PvP in DS1 because I hated the flippy ring. I think the rings absence and the presence of soul vessels really help variety. Also for the str/dex and dex/int builds the weapon options seem to be bigger.

Obviously as your SL grows the lines between the three builds blur.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm not going to PVP (well at my SM I highly doubt that I can find people). But on PVE, after reaching 50str, I'll be getting 50dex to get weapons with good Str/Dex scaling hit like trucks. I may end powerstancing claymores if the thing goes right or Claymore + Estoc. 2x Battle Axes with high Str/Dex outscales the bandit axe and is an awesome combo too. Red Rust Scimitar+Varangian uses the Scimitar moveset while powerstanced and owns bones.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Strength/Faith is still good for the buffs, you just don't get much mileage out of the offensive miracles as you would the other forms of magic. Lightning infusion is still good.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know FROM is super crazy strict about "hacking" and stuff. I'm planning to completely nuke my Windows and start fresh on Win10. I have backed up my save game. Is that gonna put me in rear end in a top hat Jail with them?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Feenix posted:

I know FROM is super crazy strict about "hacking" and stuff. I'm planning to completely nuke my Windows and start fresh on Win10. I have backed up my save game. Is that gonna put me in rear end in a top hat Jail with them?

I copied my save over to a new computer and haven't noticed any issues. Though I also hit that run of SM around 1mil where things dry up for a while.

e: Holy poo poo the Ice Rapier's R2 is strong when magic infused

e: Seriously I just one shot killed a guy that survived six rapier thrusts. Then killed his shade. Then killed the other red phantom.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 7, 2015

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
As a new player coming off of many hundreds of hours in DS1 and a few play throughs of BB, anything I should know going into this(SotFS, specifically?) I mean stats-wise, anything to look out for or avoid? Habits I need to learn or break ASAP? I'm going semi-blind, but don't want to gimp myself either.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Viperix posted:

As a new player coming off of many hundreds of hours in DS1 and a few play throughs of BB, anything I should know going into this(SotFS, specifically?) I mean stats-wise, anything to look out for or avoid? Habits I need to learn or break ASAP? I'm going semi-blind, but don't want to gimp myself either.

bump up adaptability until your agility hits at least 96 before doing anything else with your stats

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I copied my save over to a new computer and haven't noticed any issues. Though I also hit that run of SM around 1mil where things dry up for a while.

e: Holy poo poo the Ice Rapier's R2 is strong when magic infused

e: Seriously I just one shot killed a guy that survived six rapier thrusts. Then killed his shade. Then killed the other red phantom.

With an Int build and the rapier buffed with CMW, I've hit for 1000+ with the R2s if I hit my opponent with the blade and the projectile. Thing is strong as hell.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ruggington posted:

bump up adaptability until your agility hits at least 96 before doing anything else with your stats

Yeah this is really important because your agility determines your iframes when you dodge with the roll.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ruggington posted:

Make it at at least 100 to speed up the estus chug.

quote:

With an Int build and the rapier buffed with CMW, I've hit for 1000+ with the R2s if I hit my opponent with the blade and the projectile. Thing is strong as hell.

And this was only with int 5 and Flame Weapon. I'm kind of disappointed in myself for not using it more in DS2.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How effective would the Chaos Rapier be as a for a 30/30 Hexer? I'm not relying on magic too much, mostly using it for the variety and utility of spells, so still getting my hands dirty. I like the CR's moveset (still has a parry even when I'm carrying someone in the left hand) but I'm concerned that infusing it as Dark will neuter its damage input given the inherent fire type. Shall I just cheese through to an Ice Rapier and infuse that?

A big part of my combat style is taking advantage of counter damage so I don't want to switch to a different weapon if I can help it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

How effective would the Chaos Rapier be as a for a 30/30 Hexer? I'm not relying on magic too much, mostly using it for the variety and utility of spells, so still getting my hands dirty. I like the CR's moveset (still has a parry even when I'm carrying someone in the left hand) but I'm concerned that infusing it as Dark will neuter its damage input given the inherent fire type. Shall I just cheese through to an Ice Rapier and infuse that?

A big part of my combat style is taking advantage of counter damage so I don't want to switch to a different weapon if I can help it.

Probably better off infusing it fire if you infuse it at all, since fire damage scales off the same stats as dark.

e: It looks like it's one of those weapons that really doesn't infuse well. Fire barely boosts the elemental damage but guts the physical.

On my dumb level 838 testing dude it looks like 110+140/110+140 plain, 99+105/121+154 fire, 99+88/99+157 bleed, and 93+100/93+119/32+24 dark. Don't bother infusing it. IIRC counter damage doesn't affect elemental damage anyway.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 7, 2015

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
What is the fastest way to get the Ice Rapier?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You have to unlock Drangleic no matter what. In SotFS you need to find the key item in Drangleic and then you can just head back to the Shrine of Winter and open the door to the DLC area. I dunno if they changed this, but when I played vanilla you were just given all of the DLC area keys from the word go.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

You have to unlock Drangleic no matter what. In SotFS you need to find the key item in Drangleic and then you can just head back to the Shrine of Winter and open the door to the DLC area. I dunno if they changed this, but when I played vanilla you were just given all of the DLC area keys from the word go.

The key item to get to Eleum Loyce is like thirty seconds past the first Drangleic bonfire, kill some stone soldiers, open the very first door on the right, go in and pick it up off the ground, then double back to the Shrine of Winter. Kill the frozen guys until one drops for you.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So, I'm pretty much just getting my last Lord Soul - sitting at 35 STR, 40 FAI, 18 DEX, and a measly 24 VIT, 14 END...

I'm thinking I want to lightning-infuse something heavy to make better use of my STR and FAI (I already have a +10 Heide Sword).

Any suggestions on what I should look at? Ideally, I want to grab something before end-game content because I don't expect I'll be hopping right into NG+ after...

edit: I pretty much play exclusively PVE.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Red Iron Twinblade

You can't get that yet but it's the best strength/faith weapon in my opinion. Something to keep in mind for later.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Memnaelar posted:

So, I'm pretty much just getting my last Lord Soul - sitting at 35 STR, 40 FAI, 18 DEX, and a measly 24 VIT, 14 END...

I'm thinking I want to lightning-infuse something heavy to make better use of my STR and FAI (I already have a +10 Heide Sword).

Any suggestions on what I should look at? Ideally, I want to grab something before end-game content because I don't expect I'll be hopping right into NG+ after...

edit: I pretty much play exclusively PVE.

I haven't played with the Heide lance specifically, but lances are fun and decent strength weapons, and Heide weapons are good for faith. It's a guaranteed drop off of a Heide guy hiding somewhere in the Gutter.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Im just leveling up and im about 170 SL. Ive.. no idea what to do with my stats. 20 Vit/End/Vig/Atn, 10 adp, 40 str/dex about 50ish int, 4 faith. is there some break points besides diminishing returns on stats i should look at? This is really just a pve character, though im having some success with twin Magic Blue Flame +5 and casting greater magic weapon on both.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

winterwerefox posted:

This is really just a pve character, though im having some success with twin Magic Blue Flame +5 and casting greater magic weapon on both.
You might want to consider making those Raw instead. The magic damage will be slightly lower, but the physical damage gets destroyed by infusing with Magic, and Raw is just straight-up better than normal for this particular weapon.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Please stop having 10 ADP. It affects the number of invincibility frames in your roll. (In DS1 this was weight-based, but it isn't now).

e: Your roll isn't total garbage at least, since every 3 points of ATN is worth 1 ADP. But you should probably level it until your "agility" stat on the character screen hits 96, 100, or 105. Those are the breakpoints where you get more iframes and a better dodge roll.

There are other breakpoints earlier but they're lovely and not worth it.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 8, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Please stop having 10 ADP.

He's a caster and makes up for some of it with ATN and the rest with pew pew. 92 agi now, could get pretty close to 100 just hitting the +casts breakpoint at 43 ATN (this would be huge for him, because it doubles his CMW casts). 100 on the button if he goes for the next +casts and +slot breakpoint at 50 (5 great magic weapon casts).

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 8, 2015

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Ok.. so agility breakpoints are 96 100 and 105? ill look into that. I didnt know the mechanics of agility. I just looked up Raw vs Magic. Goddamn thats counter intuitive. But I can see how it would work. Ive got tons of Raw stones.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

winterwerefox posted:

Ok.. so agility breakpoints are 96 100 and 105? ill look into that. I didnt know the mechanics of agility. I just looked up Raw vs Magic. Goddamn thats counter intuitive. But I can see how it would work. Ive got tons of Raw stones.

Technically 99 is the breakpoint for an extra roll iframe, but there's a breakpoint for backsteps at 100. There are also some higher breakpoints but they're generally not worth it because there's a pretty hard cap on agility: points past 110 take 7 times as many levels.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/agility

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Like I said, 50 attunement gets you to 100 while also doubling your spell slots and giving you a lot more casts per slot with important spells like great/crystal magic weapon, either soul spear, and soul greatsword. Attunement is pretty much the only stat I'd ever recommend taking past 50. Arguments can be made for any breakpoint up to 94, depending on the spells you like to cast http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/attunement

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

winterwerefox posted:

Every weapon has its own stat table for infusions, the Blue Flame is unusual that making it Raw results in better Magic scaling than making it Magic, whereas Raw is supposed to be bad for all scaling in exchange for slightly higher base damage.

The only hard and fast rule is: don't ever Enchant anything, Enchanting any weapon straight-up ruins it.

As for your stats, I'd say raise VIT/END above 20/20. They're certainly nice to have for PvE.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mr Dog posted:

Every weapon has its own stat table for infusions

This still blows my mind, especially given that 90% of all the infusions that can be made are total poo poo

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Actually, it's better than that: the stat table has an entry for every possible combination of infusion and reinforcement level.

It's not really surprising, From does plenty of stuff like that.

Hidden damage multiplier against Darkwraiths in DS1 that was on all weapons but only ever differed on the GS of Artorias, anyone?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 8, 2015

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
My head breaks over .1 second increases of invincibility frames. Does it *really* make that big a difference?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

My head breaks over .1 second increases of invincibility frames. Does it *really* make that big a difference?
I notice time differences that small in olympic sport fencing, so probably. The lockout time in foil is 300ms and that's enough time to get hit, feel the hit, and attack yourself, getting two lights. The difference between sabre and epee lockouts is 80ms, which is also noticeable.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Memnaelar posted:

Average reaction time is something like 270 ms so ~100 ms does make a difference.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

It can make the difference between rolling through an attack safely or just getting killed mid-roll. It will also give you extra leniency when you don't time a dodge perfectly.
With low agility you have to be a lot more conservative with your play because I'm a lot of situations you just won't be able to roll into many attacks in order to place yourself in a position to counterattack quickly,having to rely on just blocking or rolling backwards, which leaves you in a worse position.

Also, average to decent fighting game players usually hit button presses with a 1/30th of a second window reliably and with ease, 0.1 seconds is 3 times that (added on top of an already existing amount of iframes, so yeah, it's a huge thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

For example, when I started playing DS2, with a knight with less than 70% load I would get hit all the time while rolling and get really frustrated until I asked here to raise agility to at least 96 (105 is the sweet spot in my opinion). With 105 I can roll away from most poo poo thrown at me considering that I'm not a great player. Stamina will be your cap, so having a decent pool will help staying alive.