Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Squidster posted:

poo poo like this is why I stopped reading Miss Marvel.

I loved the book, but stripping her out of her comfortable setting completely ruins it for me. I *liked* having a low-stakes read with a relatable character in a familiar setting, and now they have to jettison all of that because of some bullshit Big Event? I don't want grim and gritty and hopeless hard-choices - every other comic already has those. How is their newfound audience, who only read this one single book, going to react to it being shat by editorial?

I reluctantly admit those pages are still well-written and heartfelt, though.

I might be wrong here, I'm just going off the pages posted, but it didn't strike me as grim and gritty but as a sort of...Coming of age, I guess. I feel like the message extends into a metaphor about relationships in general, that you can't fix everything and everyone without taking some serious damage yourself. And possibly still failing at that. It's a mentor, gently, helping her young charge face mortality and accept that while it's not easy sometimes it's unavoidable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I might be wrong here, I'm just going off the pages posted, but it didn't strike me as grim and gritty but as a sort of...Coming of age, I guess. I feel like the message extends into a metaphor about relationships in general, that you can't fix everything and everyone without taking some serious damage yourself. And possibly still failing at that. It's a mentor, gently, helping her young charge face mortality and accept that while it's not easy sometimes it's unavoidable.

Yeah, it's basically the Superman lesson. You can be the best, the most powerful, the most dedicated, and you still won't be able to save everyone. Part of being a real hero is knowing how to shoulder that burden without losing your idealism or compassion.

Also, it's Ms. Marvel. The distinction is not insignificant.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I do enjoy Kamala's interactions with older heroes, and that scene works for me. I'm just very burned out on the spectacle of carnage imagery.

When narrow-niche books get swept up in big events, it rarely ends well for the book - I'm reminded of Ultimate Spider-man's plot floundering after the drowning of New York, Miles Morales joining the Ultimates, Blue Beetle's grittier reboot, etc. I'm really attached to Miss Marvel, and I don't want them to destroy what made her interesting. I will still be checking back in on the series in a few months to see if it continues with its original flavour.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Eventually! But it spent like three issues going 'omg is peter dead' and spinning it's wheels while it tried to sweep the crossover events under the rug.

EDIT: In fairness, I'm just old-man-grumbling. Ignore me!

Squidster fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 6, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Squidster posted:

I do enjoy Kamala's interactions with older heroes, and that scene works for me. I'm just very burned out on the spectacle of carnage imagery.

When narrow-niche books get swept up in big events, it rarely ends well for the book - I'm reminded of Ultimate Spider-man's plot floundering after the drowning of New York, Miles Morales joining the Ultimates, Blue Beetle's grittier reboot, etc. I'm really attached to Miss Marvel, and I don't want them to destroy what made her interesting. I will still be checking back in on the series in a few months to see if it continues with its original flavour.

The plot of Ultimate Spider-man was pretty awesome with Aunt May's halfway house of heroes. Its the same author and its just her learning that she can not save everyone.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I somehow doubt Ms. Marvel's going to suddenly become a dark and gritty look at the superhero genre after this brief little arc.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Kammat posted:

Just read it myself. My cats might be getting some squishy hugs tonight.

They'll be fine. A racoon got in somehow, they'll get out and go feral the same way when the food runs out.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

They'll be fine. A racoon got in somehow, they'll get out and go feral the same way when the food runs out.

Isn't the point that the whole reality will be overwritten?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The only way Secret Wars is going to have any real long term impact on Ms Marvel is if it's directly relevant to her getting on an Avengers team post SW and/or her relationship with Ghost Rider during it has any importance post SW, something similar can probably be said for 99% of Marvel's characters, heck Tony and Steve, and a handful of characters from other Earths seem to be the only people with any real continuity importance for this event

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PJOmega posted:

Isn't the point that the whole reality will be overwritten?

616 is back to normal for the most part once this event is over(Ultimate Universe is still toast though)

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

OldTennisCourt posted:

I somehow doubt Ms. Marvel's going to suddenly become a dark and gritty look at the superhero genre after this brief little arc.

Just wait until the "MY DOG LOCKJAW IS A JUNKIE" issue of the all new all gritty Ms. Marvel relaunch.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

What will Lockjaw be addicted to?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Chaos Hippy posted:

Kirby Crack-le

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Chaos Hippy posted:

Belly Rubs

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Chaos Hippy posted:

heroin, because he is actually an inhuman in the shape of a dog

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Just want to point out: "Feelin' fine" on the typewriter, and "Nermal's Choice" on the cat food bag.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

No one said Scooby snacks. I am disappointed.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Squidster posted:

When narrow-niche books get swept up in big events, it rarely ends well for the book - I'm reminded of Ultimate Spider-man's plot floundering after the drowning of New York, Miles Morales joining the Ultimates, Blue Beetle's grittier reboot, etc.
Weirdly, the Avengers Academy issues that tied in to Fear Itself were not just some of the better parts of that book but I think, at this point, it can be argued that they were likely the best part of that whole stupid crossover. Avengers Academy also handles the whole dumb AvX thing fairly well but didn't knock those issues out of the park like they did with Fear Itself.

But everyone Marvel seems to hate AA so...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Why is Carol wearing an all grey ensemble all of a sudden?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I gave up on trying to find consistency in Carol's wardrobe/hair choices around the time she got the Captain Marvel name. Helmet, no helmet, mohawk, pseudo-mohawk, classic long, grey, red, whatever.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
There was a hero fight and it made it easier to distinguish sides in splash pages if Cap's team wore all grey.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Why is Carol wearing an all grey ensemble all of a sudden?

Avengers and New Avengers had an eight month time jump to get up to Secret Wars where suddenly a portion of heroes were now working with old Cap at SHIELD hunting down the others, who were working with Tony.
Some of the ones with SHIELD/Cap got some new costumes.

Haven't been reading Captain Marvel, if it's explained further there.

e:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 9, 2015

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Avengers and New Avengers had an eight month time jump to get up to Secret Wars where suddenly a portion of heroes were now working with old Cap at SHIELD hunting down the others, who were working with Tony.

e:

So that picture is from Captain Marvel, or something else?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
That panel is from Jonathan Hickman's Avengers.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are they redoing Civil War or something, just that this time, Cap's the authoritarian and Tony's the rebel?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Are they redoing Civil War or something, just that this time, Cap's the authoritarian and Tony's the rebel?

It has some parallels, but it's more about Cap being super pissed that all the genius heroes (and Namor) mindwiped him and have all been playing God behind everyone's back, including blowing up an entire planet of innocent people.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

e:

Hello? He's standing right next to you! Stretchy guy, numeral 4 on his chest.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Akira is one of those comic books I read when I was way too young that stayed with me my whole life (along with Moebius stuff and others like that). The movie is a lot more well-known in the west and that's kind of sad.

Spoilers, obviously

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Dick Trauma posted:

Hello? He's standing right next to you! Stretchy guy, numeral 4 on his chest.
That's a hologram.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gavok posted:

It has some parallels, but it's more about Cap being super pissed that all the genius heroes (and Namor) mindwiped him and have all been playing God behind everyone's back, including blowing up an entire planet of innocent people.

God I hate pretty much everything to do with Hickman's version of The Illuminati, especially since it's basically ruined a bunch of characters I liked through dragging them through the sort of moral dilemmas that just don't work in a superhero narrative

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

drrockso20 posted:

God I hate pretty much everything to do with Hickman's version of The Illuminati, especially since it's basically ruined a bunch of characters I liked through dragging them through the sort of moral dilemmas that just don't work in a superhero narrative

At least Blue Marvel and Monica Rambeau told them where to shove their elitist bullcrap.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

was digging through my files for something else and found a couple things I felt worth sharing here

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Akira is one of those comic books I read when I was way too young that stayed with me my whole life (along with Moebius stuff and others like that). The movie is a lot more well-known in the west and that's kind of sad.

Spoilers, obviously

I wonder if more people in the west have read the original Akira manga, or Bartkira

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I want to read Bartkira, but I hate reading long-form webcomics since it's a pain to have to bookmark where I was and go back every time.

I have read Akira, though.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Spider-Man/Human Torch #5

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Your image's address is mangled. Here:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Saoshyant posted:

You're damned right.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Johnny calling Peter out on all the exceptionally hot women he's been with in that mini was pretty funny.

The final page should also be posted, with Reed telling H.E.R.B.I.E. where to store pictures taken of the Parker/Richard's dinner.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Darn it. Thanks.

Yeah, this is a great mini. I read it this week on Unlimited after Henry Gilbert recommended it on Cape Crisis. Really loved it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I want to read Bartkira, but I hate reading long-form webcomics since it's a pain to have to bookmark where I was and go back every time.

There are CBR collections out there if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008