Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I'm thinking about getting a wood back for the Moto X, but I'm a little skeptical of having a wooden back on my phone. All of the phones I've ever owned have gotten pretty hot towards the end of their lives when running certain tasks like GPS navigation. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid and the wood is perfectly safe, but I'd be happier if the Something Awful Android hivemind told me there was no real chance of my phone combusting. Am I being ridiculous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Farchanter posted:

I'm thinking about getting a wood back for the Moto X, but I'm a little skeptical of having a wooden back on my phone. All of the phones I've ever owned have gotten pretty hot towards the end of their lives when running certain tasks like GPS navigation. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid and the wood is perfectly safe, but I'd be happier if the Something Awful Android hivemind told me there was no real chance of my phone combusting. Am I being ridiculous?

It's certainly not going to catch on fire if that's what you're fearing.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Farchanter posted:

The only real chance of your phone combusting would be a uniquely rare battery malfunction, or rooting your device to try to overclock it to 4.0 GHz or something loving dumb like that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If any phone gets hot enough to set wood on fire, you'll probably be wanting to replace it anyways. And hey, burning wood smells better than burning plastic. It's an all-round winner

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm trying to decide whether the G is what I feel I need or if I should splurge on the Moto X pure.

I know the new G didn't have active display, but does it have the always listening Google Now and things like handwaving to get the display to come up (ooh wait that's an active display thing, right?)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Farchanter posted:

May be a good idea to review the three legs of the fire stool.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

It's taken a year but I've become annoyed with my stock Note 3 software keyboard. Anybody have a recommendation for a custom one or are there no good options?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm trying to decide whether the G is what I feel I need or if I should splurge on the Moto X pure.

I know the new G didn't have active display, but does it have the always listening Google Now and things like handwaving to get the display to come up (ooh wait that's an active display thing, right?)

It does have active display and gestures to launch camera and flashlight.

It doesn't have always listening.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just got a replacement for my definitely-not-NIB G2. I swapped the SIM from the old one to the new one, and I didn't go through all of the setup from when I did the first one. Is that normal for when you put the SIM from the old phone in, or is it a sign that this one isn't NIB either? The new one also came with different accessories, such as no SIM remover.

Also, the new one doesn't want to accept that it is the new phone when I try to use LG backup to get my data off the old phone. Is there any other app I should be using instead? I'm going to try updating to Lollipop, see if that fixes it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Heffer posted:

It's taken a year but I've become annoyed with my stock Note 3 software keyboard. Anybody have a recommendation for a custom one or are there no good options?

Google Keyboard
Swype
Swiftkey
Fleksy

I think those are the most common recommended. Nobody can tell you which you would like though. You'll just have to try each of them.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Someone is apprehensive about a wood-veneered phone overheating, and the first thing you dopes think about is Fahrenheit 451°? I'm sure he's worried about the veneer warping and peeling if the adhesive fails.

Get the leather.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

goku chewbacca posted:

Someone is apprehensive about a wood-veneered phone overheating, and the first thing you dopes think about is Fahrenheit 451°? I'm sure he's worried about the veneer warping and peeling if the adhesive fails.

Get the leather.

Except for the part where he specifically calls out worrying about it combusting.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Except for the part where he specifically calls out worrying about it combusting.

:eyepop::11tea:

I thought he was so far on his way to asking a reasonable question that I completed missed his choice of the word combusting. Dope.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, this sucks. My new phone can't stay connected to our wifi long enough to transfer poo poo over. Is there any software problem it could be, or did I get another goddamn lovely phone?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, this sucks. My new phone can't stay connected to our wifi long enough to transfer poo poo over. Is there any software problem it could be, or did I get another goddamn lovely phone?

You know the answer already.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have gotten a Moto X that was the wrong brand and refurbished when I ordered new. I have gotten an open box LG G2 when I ordered new that has already frozen up once in less than a month. And now I get a new in box LG G2 that can't keep a signal when I've got a top of the line N-band router less than 20 feet away straight line with only one floor in the way. What the gently caress is happening?

E: Is there something in phones that just degrades over time? I can't think of what it would be, but I kind of want to just get a new S5 or something. With my current luck, though, it still wouldn't work.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 8, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have gotten a Moto X that was the wrong brand and refurbished when I ordered new. I have gotten an open box LG G2 when I ordered new that has already frozen up once in less than a month. And now I get a new in box LG G2 that can't keep a signal when I've got a top of the line N-band router less than 20 feet away straight line with only one floor in the way. What the gently caress is happening?

E: Is there something in phones that just degrades over time? I can't think of what it would be, but I kind of want to just get a new S5 or something. With my current luck, though, it still wouldn't work.

You're buying old phones from sellers that are potentially not very reputable :shrug: My LG G2 new from eBay in February was sealed and, ya know, new. Don't know what year Moto X you got, but I also got a like new 2014 Moto X like 2-3 weeks ago that has been perfect. Did you try factory resetting the G2? If yes and that doesn't fix it, you could always gently caress around with the LG flashing tool and reflash the stock image, though it is waaaay more of a hassle than doing it on a Nexus. I'd recommend just getting it replaced or refunded though. I would not recommend an S5 either. Why not try a new Moto G?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: Is there something in phones that just degrades over time?

Yes it's called aging

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

duration is a bitch

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

You're buying old phones from sellers that are potentially not very reputable :shrug: My LG G2 new from eBay in February was sealed and, ya know, new. Don't know what year Moto X you got, but I also got a like new 2014 Moto X like 2-3 weeks ago that has been perfect. Did you try factory resetting the G2? If yes and that doesn't fix it, you could always gently caress around with the LG flashing tool and reflash the stock image, though it is waaaay more of a hassle than doing it on a Nexus. I'd recommend just getting it replaced or refunded though. I would not recommend an S5 either. Why not try a new Moto G?

I need wifi calling, no go on the G. Unless I can get something like the ATT mini towers for T-Mobile. Otherwise I'd jump on the G.

Do phones really degrade that much over 2 years? I've got components in my computer that have been working 10 years, sitting in a box for 2 shouldn't do anything. Unless the whole planned obsolescence paranoia is actually true on phones.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do phones really degrade that much over 2 years? I've got components in my computer that have been working 10 years, sitting in a box for 2 shouldn't do anything. Unless the whole planned obsolescence paranoia is actually true on phones.

Software updates are often unkind to older phones. In some models cheap storage was used which dramatically slows down over time.

In my experience though it's usually the physical parts that start failing - usually buttons but often ports too. I'd still be using my N4 if the power button worked more than 10% of the time, and we have a drawer full of iPhones at work with dead home buttons.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Lithium ion batteries degrade naturally over time even if they're not being used. Also the storage and lack of updates as mentioned above.

Unless your router's just setup incorrectly you might've gotten another old stock phone from a non-reputable seller. At this point why not try getting a Moto G and a TMobile microcell so you're not restricted to garbage phones?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Am I right in thinking that the new Moto G is basically the same as my Nexus 4 but a slightly better processor and waterproofing?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

cisco privilege posted:

Lithium ion batteries degrade naturally over time even if they're not being used. Also the storage and lack of updates as mentioned above.

Unless your router's just setup incorrectly you might've gotten another old stock phone from a non-reputable seller. At this point why not try getting a Moto G and a TMobile microcell so you're not restricted to garbage phones?

Their microcells require at least one bar of 3g/4g reception, which we don't get. And I also get no reception at my office, which I hadn't thought about on my previous post.

I'd just ditch T-Mobile, but my phone is still being paid for by my mother, and I don't want to pay an extra $50-75 or whatever a good plan costs with Verizon now, and I don't even know if we get Verizon signal here either.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ThermoPhysical posted:

Am I right in thinking that the new Moto G is basically the same as my Nexus 4 but a slightly better processor and waterproofing?

SD card slot, slighty bigger screen, much better camera, less obnoxious back (not as pretty and a little slippery, but also doesn't loving break if you look at it wrong).

Both phones have a very similar 'feel'.

The fast few days I've had it, I've only felt the need to charge it every other night, unlike how I would every night with my N4/5s.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

SD card slot, slighty bigger screen, much better camera, less obnoxious back (not as pretty and a little slippery, but also doesn't loving break if you look at it wrong).

Both phones have a very similar 'feel'.

The fast few days I've had it, I've only felt the need to charge it every other night, unlike how I would every night with my N4/5s.

Hmm..that actually helps. I'll have to see how much bigger the screen is though. I got low-vision and the N6 / iPhone 6+ are actually really helpful in the larger text size. If the G helps, I can pick that up instead or just wait for the new Moto X if it's big enough.

Thanks!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've read the last few pages but it hasn't really come up much. What's the word on the OnePlus 2?

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

Tsyni posted:

I've read the last few pages but it hasn't really come up much. What's the word on the OnePlus 2?

I believe the word tends to be "Don't".

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

There's a little slip of paper with a quasi-inspirational generic statement about your future inside every oneplus phone.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Anyone here try Project Fi yet? I got an invite (finally) and I've cut down on my data usage enough now that I think I could save over T-Mobile.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Tsyni posted:

"Piece of poo poo from a company that doesn't know their collective asses from a hole in the ground". The phone is going to use a SoC that has serious overheating issues that don't look like they're going to be solved any time soon and the company is run by a bunch of loving idiots. Look at one of the new Motorola devices instead.

gently caress hardware keyboard chat, "Don't buy a OnePlus device" should be in the thread title.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Tsyni posted:

Even the Android journalists have turned on OnePlus. OnePlus's response was to excommunicate the news/review site that pointed out their marketing was basically BS. I wonder how they'll handle RMA's.. :suspense:

edit: Even the XDA type folks for whom worship at the alter of custom roms aren't really that stoked on it from what I've seen.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

IuniusBrutus posted:

Anyone here try Project Fi yet? I got an invite (finally) and I've cut down on my data usage enough now that I think I could save over T-Mobile.

My SIM kit arrived yesterday. I've gone so far as activating it, making some wifi calls, and using it a little here and there. That part at least seems to work well.

I guess at least at my house though I'm using Sprint's network, because I tried a speed test out of curiosity just now and it's doing 1.5 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up, on LTE.

So that's kinda crap. I don't plan on keeping it, I don't think.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Sprint is bad, is there anywhere you would be going that would use the T-mobile side of the equation?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Captain Yossarian posted:

Sprint is bad, is there anywhere you would be going that would use the T-mobile side of the equation?

My friends with T-Mobile have perfectly cromulent service when at my house, so I'm really curious why the phone decided to use Sprint.

I mainly only did this to get service on my Nexus 6 device I use for development work, but for $30/month it's a better deal for me to just get on the T-Mobile prepaid plan.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 9, 2015

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
Sorry, I knew it was irrational. Thanks, all!

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Any suggestions? I haven't tried any of the the options yet. Figured I'd come here for advice. Poor E: :( Is it toast?

Sprint Note 2. I woke up to it in a boot loop where it would just show the "Samsung Note II" screen then go blank then back to it again.

It worked just fine last night, plugged it in to go to bed and woke up to it like this. (I put it into recovery mode, it wasn't like that when I woke up)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I don't suppose wiping the cache would do anything?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

If I had to guess I'd say your NAND is failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

LastInLine posted:

If I had to guess I'd say your NAND is failing.

I've had random reboots here and there over the last month or two.

This must have been the big one