Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

TerminusEst13 posted:

Gentlemen, I bring you stale memes reinvented with new technology.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25082417/audio/unfstorm.ogg

I am now a better person for having heard this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

TerminusEst13 posted:

:perfect:

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2CzxI04qHs found this beauty today, really cool trailer for Doom on the Jaguar.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How do escape this eternal damnation? You blast the pink demon right between his beady little eyes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

massecurr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2CzxI04qHs found this beauty today, really cool trailer for Doom on the Jaguar.

I miss :krad: 90s commercials like this.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

massecurr posted:

This commercial kicks rear end.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
That commercial loving rules. Somebody put that preacher man into a Doom mod, stat.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
I've been reading through the source code for vanilla Doom today. The core dispatch logic for firing a shotgun is located at line 666 in its source file.

It's the Doom-est coincidence. \m/

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DrankSinatra posted:

I've been reading through the source code for vanilla Doom today. The core dispatch logic for firing a shotgun is located at line 666 in its source file.

It's the Doom-est coincidence. \m/

John Carmack's code doesn't do poo poo by accident.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Many moons ago, someone (probably fishmech) posted about the DEMON DESTROYER GUNN in this thread.

Today, someone made a video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO89FPclQjk

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I posted a huge series of screenshots on my Tumblr from my Quake 2 playthough using leileilol and Qbism's new software renderer, providing most of the features of Quake 2's OpenGL mode with no GPU and 256 colors.

"Where we're going we don't need a video card!" :pcgaming:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I downloaded Heart of evil Naplam edition for Half life and it was okay since heart of evil wasn't all that rad in the first place. Until I got the chainsaw and the message "you picked up a chainsaw! Go find some meat!" flashed on screen and a remixed doom theme started blared out across the rice paddies.

:magical::rock::black101:

It was enough to kick it from okay mod to awesome mod in one fell swoop.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The Postal 2 devs posted this video last month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW9GBVjRzMc

I don't ever recall a developer officially posting a video of bugs in their own game.

Also, got my totally original copy of Requiem Avenging Angel.

okay, at least the CD and 'manual' aren't bootleg.

How do I actually get this game to work right on my Win 8.1?

TerminusEst13 posted:

This is beautiful :allears:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

uncleKitchener posted:

Also, got my totally original copy of Requiem Avenging Angel.

okay, at least the CD and 'manual' aren't bootleg.

I'm pretty sure I still have my copy around here somewhere. The game was supremely underwhelming.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

uncleKitchener posted:

You might be able to follow these windows 7 instructions to get it working, but I have no idea if this site is good or not: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Requiem:_Avenging_Angel

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Someone bit earlier posted this in the thread:

SparkTR posted:

Requiem Avenging Angel now works on modern systems by installing patch 1.2 and then placing this patch in the install directory, and then placingthis file in the install directory as well. Then run it with nGlide. I've been waiting for a solution for this for ages so I'm really happy someone found it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I used to insist that Quake II was a better game than Quake 1, but now I can see that, while I like Quake II more because of its extremely coherent theme and sense of narrative, Quake 1 is definitely better designed from a mechanical perspective. Quake II has enemies with really irritating, difficult to avoid attacks that make up for it with greatly reduced damage and giving you the complete game breaker that is energy armor. Quake II tries to whittle you down slowly by attrition (but fails because energy armor exists), while in Quake 1 encounters are very high stakes, where you can ace them with barely a scratch if you're good enough but can also very easily die. Quake 1 makes you feel like a ninja when you survive a particularly dangerous encounter. Quake II puts you in a position where you can coast through with 150+ armor and 90+ health almost all the time but still feel like a clumsy oaf because you keep wandering into bullshit scenarios where you can't help but get beat up, but the beating doesn't even matter because you have 150 armor, 275 energy armor, and 130 base health from all the adrenalines (I had 139 base health by the end of the game).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is about a month old, but it's worth posting: A Valve fansite dug up some early screenshots from the game Valve was working on before Half-Life, and managed to get some knowledge about its development from Marc Laidlaw. I think this is like the second time ever that they've talked about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB4Z0B2NkUE

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
It's actually about 13 months old!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Shows how good I can read, then.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
It's a cool video, and now it'll probably be seen by people who hadn't seen it before.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm pretty sure I still have my copy around here somewhere. The game was supremely underwhelming.

I've seen and played worse.

It's hard to get this one working at all since the DRM on place for this game worked through the developer's website (a horrible loving idea) and since they went down, I had used Russian cracks to actually play this game years ago. This is one FPS I really want to get working some day to experience the sheer batshit insanity the game had.

laserghost posted:

Someone bit earlier posted this in the thread:

Keep in mind the wndmode file contains a trojan horse.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Kins posted:

This is about a month old, but it's worth posting: A Valve fansite dug up some early screenshots from the game Valve was working on before Half-Life, and managed to get some knowledge about its development from Marc Laidlaw. I think this is like the second time ever that they've talked about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB4Z0B2NkUE

That's some unfortunate placement of the character and those spiky things in the background in that video's thumbnail.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

I used to insist that Quake II was a better game than Quake 1, but now I can see that, while I like Quake II more because of its extremely coherent theme and sense of narrative, Quake 1 is definitely better designed from a mechanical perspective. Quake II has enemies with really irritating, difficult to avoid attacks that make up for it with greatly reduced damage and giving you the complete game breaker that is energy armor. Quake II tries to whittle you down slowly by attrition (but fails because energy armor exists), while in Quake 1 encounters are very high stakes, where you can ace them with barely a scratch if you're good enough but can also very easily die. Quake 1 makes you feel like a ninja when you survive a particularly dangerous encounter. Quake II puts you in a position where you can coast through with 150+ armor and 90+ health almost all the time but still feel like a clumsy oaf because you keep wandering into bullshit scenarios where you can't help but get beat up, but the beating doesn't even matter because you have 150 armor, 275 energy armor, and 130 base health from all the adrenalines (I had 139 base health by the end of the game).

Quake 1's combat is all about using your movement skills to win the day instead of brute force. The Quake 1 guy is fast and maneuverable enough that you can either get out of a bad situation or make the best of it (like using a surprise Vore to trigger infighting). Maps are large enough that you can easily dodge enemies, but they can really put the hurt on you if they get a few hits in.

Defense-wise, I think you're actually a bit weaker in Q2 than in Q1 until you get the Energy Shield because regular armor gives far less armor points than it does in Quake 1. Combat Armor gives you a pathetic 50 armor points, whlie Yellow Armor gives you 150 armor points for almost the exact same damage absorbtion rate. In Q1, even a Green Armor can be a blessing because of how many armor points it gives you, while a Flak Jacket is borderline worthless. I know I'm happy when I pick up armor in Q1, but it makes me say "eh" in Q2.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wouldn't it have been great if Quake 2 was to Quake 1 what Doom 2 was to Doom 1? Add in a handful of new enemies, a couple new guns (or just one?), and throw the whole thing through 30+ new levels. :allears:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wouldn't it have been great if Quake 2 was to Quake 1 what Doom 2 was to Doom 1? Add in a handful of new enemies, a couple new guns (or just one?), and throw the whole thing through 30+ new levels. :allears:

The first Q1 expansion pack is basically this.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Quake called it's expansion packs as such, instead of calling them a whole new game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh, wow! Awesome, I'll have to check them out!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm playing Alien Vendetta for the first time and these levels are amazing, if a bit too stingy on ammo.

Unrelated, is it possible to get Aliens TC running on GZdoom? I couldn't get it working.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Overbite posted:

Unrelated, is it possible to get Aliens TC running on GZdoom? I couldn't get it working.

Supposedly, but I've always had trouble with it. I wish someone would repackage it all up to work just fine, because it's really a neat mod.

Edit: Here's a couple links from when I asked about it:

laserghost posted:

Here, I'll help you. I've assembled together the fixed by Quasar version of Aliens TC, Freedoom IWAD (the 4-episode one, mimicking Ultimate Doom), and GLBoom+. Works straight from the box after unzipping and running alien.bat It's the second episode that has the main campaign, the first one crashes, and the third has some bonus maps.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p9urrotuc6rhsre/atcud20.zip?dl=0

For further reference, the commandline for sourceport is
code:
-file alitcsf.wad alitcsnd.wad atclev.wad -deh atcud19.deh
and if you want to run this mode in other port, you need to move those files and use the same parameter.

Elliotw2 posted:

This seems to mostly be working right, just add doom.wad and pick a batch file. There's a couple of bugs, but they seem to merely be bugs in the original version too.

Also, only barely related, but where's a good place to ask a question about Commander Keen? Specifically, if it can be answered quickly and non-disruptively, I've seen a fair number of source ports, or engine recreations or whatever for the series. Are any of these any good?

catlord fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 9, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

closeted republican posted:

Quake 1's combat is all about using your movement skills to win the day instead of brute force. The Quake 1 guy is fast and maneuverable enough that you can either get out of a bad situation or make the best of it (like using a surprise Vore to trigger infighting). Maps are large enough that you can easily dodge enemies, but they can really put the hurt on you if they get a few hits in.

Defense-wise, I think you're actually a bit weaker in Q2 than in Q1 until you get the Energy Shield because regular armor gives far less armor points than it does in Quake 1. Combat Armor gives you a pathetic 50 armor points, whlie Yellow Armor gives you 150 armor points for almost the exact same damage absorbtion rate. In Q1, even a Green Armor can be a blessing because of how many armor points it gives you, while a Flak Jacket is borderline worthless. I know I'm happy when I pick up armor in Q1, but it makes me say "eh" in Q2.

Even before you get the energy shield, you're way tougher compared to the enemies you're up against compared to Q1. Gunners are the only thing that can really own your rear end in early Q2, and even they are way less aggressive than Ogres. I suppose there are a couple of Gladiators too, but they're so thinly spread before you get the energy shield that it doesn't make much difference. I find Quake II on Hard considerably easier than Quake 1 on Easy.

There's nothing wrong with Quake II's whole Strogg theme, it just could have used a somewhat better execution. If I knew C I would write a Quake II gameplay mod where you moved faster, killed faster, and died faster. It would play sort of like a mixture of Quake 1 and Doom.

Quake II had the advantage of a very well-realized universe and setting. Everything from the manual to the models to the textures to the levels felt a part of a cohesive presentation. Quake 1 was disjointed and at times confused, Quake II knows exactly what aesthetic it's going for and nails it.

Well, except the music, it's all right but kind of bland. But then I sometimes play Quake 1 with Tribes 2 music, so maybe that invalidates my opinion of game soundtracks. :v:

Tribes 2 music fits Quake 1 really well though

E: Why couldn't Raven stick with Id's concept art and aesthetics for Quake 4 instead of dumping generic mid-2000s sci-fi cliches and Aliens references all over it?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 9, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

No no no no no no no you did not just call Q2 music bland.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't remember any Q2 music at all.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

For gently caress's sake people, it's right in the OP.

The Kins posted:

Oh, and it had unarguably the best FPS soundtrack since Doom, and possibly ever.

I'm not sure if I'd go that far though.

Edit: vv Yeah. Yeah it is.

catlord fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 9, 2015

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Quad Machine is really good.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Kazvall posted:

No no no no no no no you did not just call Q2 music bland.

I've listened to a whole goddamn lot of metal in my time, and Q2's music is some seriously generic '90s groove metal. There were 30 million bands playing music just like that in 1997.

Also, my game's metal music is better. :smuggo:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Quake 2's soundtrack is awesome, sounds more like industrial than groove metal to me. Though Doom did borrow a Pantera riff, the premier groove metal band. (edit: several Pantera riffs)

(Might as well post the ol' Doom metal comparison thingy in case somebody somewhere hasn't heard it, good stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y3RWlDz_AA)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 9, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I saw "moddb" and "Operation Serpent" in that link and went hoping that it was finally released. How's the music progressing?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Only one track, the menu music, left to do. Unfortunately Shane Strife happens to have health problems AND involuntary moving AND problems with his instruments right now. :(

I'm sometimes tempted to just release it with the placeholder menu music from Planet Strike.

E: are there any good Quake II single player campaigns? I completed the base game and I'm almost done with The Reckoning (the next map is the first one with the Gladiator Beta Class :ohdear:), which will leave only Ground Zero left to do.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

"Quad Machine" is basically the only track I remember from Quake II, to be honest. I suppose that's a whole lot more than I can say for many other gaming soundtracks out there, though!

Also, not enough of you are talking about Term's recently-finished GLOOME project Nocturne in Yellow. Spent the afternoon blowing through that (helped that I'd been toying with early GIt builds, though, so I had some idea of what I was doing). It's good. You should play it.

A smidgen rough around the edges, though - for instance, I got behind the island in MAP01, and learned that apparently you can swim in mid-air back there if you jump off the island cliff's edge. Doesn't work if you try to swim up from the ocean, though, you have to fall on it from above.