Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cyberbird posted:

It really says a lot how everyone has an opinion on the MGS series.

that's because the MGS series insists upon itself. you can't ignore it. it's like not having an opinion on Neutral Milk Hotel

like that's actually it, isn't it, MGS is the video game equivalent of NMH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

2 is good despite is flaws and its satire is good poo poo.

I feel Peace Walker is by far the worst mainline MGS, its frickin' boring as hell. People poo poo on 4 but at least that was fun to play.

I can't agree with you given I'm pretty sure I spent almost twice as much time in cutscenes in 4 as I did playing the game :/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The real correct answer is "get an HDMI splitter and a long cable, and a USB extender" because steam streaming just doesn't 100% work in my experience :(

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I don't know. I liked each of the MGS games up to and including 3 when they when they came out but now I'm like really "meh" about the series. Gameplay is OK but I'd rather play an old Splinter Cell game and the story seems to go between over the top and hilarious and over the top and dumb.

Maybe MGS5 will get me to have an opinion on them again.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Accordion Man posted:

I feel Peace Walker is by far the worst mainline MGS, its frickin' boring as hell. People poo poo on 4 but at least that was fun to play.

They're interesting counterparts in the 4 has some great gameplay but there isn't very much of it while Peace Walker has a poo poo-ton of content but most of it is grinding the same few missions over and over to unlock things.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sleeveless posted:

They're interesting counterparts in the 4 has some great gameplay but there isn't very much of it while Peace Walker has a poo poo-ton of content but most of it is grinding the same few missions over and over to unlock things.
Yeah, I think 4 actually had the best gameplay in the series (Though 5 is looking like it will easily trump it) when you actually got to play it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Accordion Man posted:

its not boring at all because fulton. its a portable title so its not a fair comparison despite the hd remaster on console. besides now we have an answer to the question "what would kojima do with a monster hunter game?"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Even Kojima can't make monster hunter games not garbage. Everything about PW is awesome except for the monster hunter parts.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Real hurthling! posted:

its not boring at all because fulton. its a portable title so its not a fair comparison despite the hd remaster on console. besides now we have an answer to the question "what would kojima do with a monster hunter game?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CWSpt_wpkc

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol worst mgs my rear end

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Yo Styx: Lord of Shadows or whatever is like hot garbage I guess

Like it looked like it had good graphics so it should be a good game but it's like not and I don't understand why it is a bad game

how do you gently caress up being a goblin
MODS!?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Good graphics by most goon definitions means as poo poo brown and grey as possible with bloom lighting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

2 is good despite is flaws and its satire is good poo poo.

PW is awesome

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Good graphics by most goon definitions means as poo poo brown and grey as possible with bloom lighting.
Yes, one of the most commonly-criticized aspects of game art design is something that all goons except you, the smart and beautiful exception, love and want to kiss.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

exquisite tea posted:

Before you judge me as a graphics whore for my opinion on Xenoblade, keep in mind my favorite game is Dwarf Fortress. Both are great games with bad graphics.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

One of my most anticipated games has graphics that look like this

Innit pretty?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Styx is darker than Bloodborne and doesn't let me use a torch to see. The gently caress even.

Whatever I'm gonna be Batman instead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
my idea of good graphics:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

star citizen has a gamescom presentation for some reason in 90 minutes

http://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

still not a game yet though

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Great Joe posted:

One of my most anticipated games has graphics that look like this

Innit pretty?

You can just play Outrun, you know

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

beat dragons dogma. very fun. probably replay it eventually with different classes maybe try to do more of the post game stuff but the everfall random monster encounter stuff is not really grabbing me now with my boring warrior character.

game's quest flags are so hosed up but in a kind of endearing way even if it does gently caress you over left and right until you know what you're doing and what to watch out for.

started Neir today and it seems really great and refreshingly polished coming off of dd. fun times.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

beat dragons dogma. very fun. probably replay it eventually with different classes maybe try to do more of the post game stuff but the everfall random monster encounter stuff is not really grabbing me now with my boring warrior character.

game's quest flags are so hosed up but in a kind of endearing way even if it does gently caress you over left and right until you know what you're doing and what to watch out for.

started Neir today and it seems really great and refreshingly polished coming off of dd. fun times.
If you're a warrior, you could move into Assassin. You won't be using many of their bow abilities, but a lot of what they do is climbing-based, and the warrior's high strength growth is great for that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you're a warrior, you could move into Assassin. You won't be using many of their bow abilities, but a lot of what they do is climbing-based, and the warrior's high strength growth is great for that.

ok cool. thanks i'll try it out if any part of neir makes me as mad as the cavern of fate or whatever room i saw this morning with the double dark chimera with 6 of those hell wolves that spit fire and drag you around that i entered right after killing a dragon, leaving the room, and turning back around to see if i missed something.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's hard to play other classes after playing a strider. double jump and being able to use helm splitter to avoid fall damage is great

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

You can just play Outrun, you know
Outrun's just one sprint, this is gonna have circuits AND sprints AND other game modes.

Besides, it's got pop-up headlights, like in my avatar. You can't argue with pop-up headlights.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Great Joe posted:

Outrun's just one sprint, this is gonna have circuits AND sprints AND other game modes.

Besides, it's got pop-up headlights, like in my avatar. You can't argue with pop-up headlights.

Yup Miata popups are the bomb.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Before they even see it one of them just randomly calls out HALO WARS 2...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vHB3aczgVQ&t=6730s

...and then when it actually IS halo wars 2, they all go completely nuts.

I like their conclusion that SEGA is making a HALO now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sweet windjammers shirt

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

theultimo posted:

Yup Miata popups are the bomb.
I love popup headlights of all kinds.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
popup headlights are sweet as hell i used to have a toyota celica '93 GT with them i called that car "the spaceship" or "the shark" it was bomb rear end

poo poo i miss that car

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

do they hurt gas mileage in a noticeable way?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
gently caress no

celica got over 30 mpg which is not bad for a sports car

i've got a solara now, and it's OKAY but it's a little too big, it's not nearly as maneuvarable

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

do they hurt gas mileage in a noticeable way?

No, just the mechanicals are too expensive and they break, causing safety issues.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3ylknTuPHA

Quest For Glory II posted:

Sweet windjammers shirt
Windjammers owns

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Are the Ys games on PC any good? They're on sale on the humble bundle website and was curious.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes, they're all very good, Ys 1+2 Chronicle is very old school though and retains the original games weird 'walk into enemies to attack them' thing, which works better than it sounds.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Stanos posted:

Are the Ys games on PC any good? They're on sale on the humble bundle website and was curious.

Coincidentally enough i just finish Ys Origins on PC yesterday.

It was actually a great game despite it not really being my usual type of RPG. It's rather challenging in parts, even on Normal, but it never feels unfair.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i bought a vita

and persona 4 golden and, since it's on sale, dangan ronpa trigger happy or w/e it's called

my girlfriend picked out hatsune miku project diva f 2

help

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

precision posted:

i bought a vita

and persona 4 golden and, since it's on sale, dangan ronpa trigger happy or w/e it's called

my girlfriend picked out hatsune miku project diva f 2

help

congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I DIDN"T ASK FOR THIS

• Locked thread