Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Is it just me or is Moscow/Russia designed to always explode around 1600?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've noticed Russia rarely getting off the ground post common sense.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's a much tougher start than it used to be. You take way more attrition damage with the new model. Even as a human player, I'm bottomed out on manpower a lot of the time, up into 1500 or so.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
crosspost from the MP thread as a cautionary tale about accidentally trucebreaking on Hard AI

Another Person posted:

The Hansa's official "People with AE and might hate me as a result" list.

Holstein 186
Sweden 47
Scotland 30
England 30
Denmark 113
Pomerania 182
Mecklenburg 176
Saxe Laurenburg 184
Luneburg 202
Oldenburg 172
East Frisia 99
Friesland 160
Brabant 156
Holland 72
Flanders 42
Hainaut 54
Nevers 30
Luxemburg 54
Trier 162
Cologne 172
Brunswick 202
Brandenburg 179
Magdeburg 179
Anhalt 179
Bohemia 152
Silesia 60
Teutonic Order 62
Wurzburg 168
Mainz 162
Nassau 172
Frankfurt 162
Palatinate 82
Alsace 72
Lorraine 54
Bar 54
France 26
Austria 66 (was 160)
Switzerland 66
Wurtemburg 66
Nuremburg 82
Hungary 30
Poland 30
Lithuania 7
Venice 54
Milan 54
Savoy 54
Provence 7
Ferrara 52
Papal States 52
Naples 7
Aragon 7
Castile 7

So, errr, yeah. Don't trucebreak. The guys who border me were all at like 30 before that, and AE didn't expand past like Brunswick. And one day later, that. Now it extends alright.

e; also, byzantium joined the HRE in our game. Rome inside a Rome. So did the Pope. Rome with a Rome and a second Rome within.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 9, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Another Person posted:

crosspost from the MP thread as a cautionary tale about accidentally trucebreaking on Hard AI

So, errr, yeah. Don't trucebreak. The guys who border me were all at like 30 before that, and AE didn't expand past like Brunswick. And one day later, that. Now it extends alright.

e; also, byzantium joined the HRE in our game. Rome inside a Rome. So did the Pope. Rome with a Rome and a second Rome within.

Need to add Russia, the self proclaimed third Rome. And don't forget Serbia/Bosnia, the real sons of Rome. And the Ottomans, the Sultanate of Rum.

Really, you don't need much to be the Real Rome these days.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Node posted:

Need to add Russia, the self proclaimed third Rome. And don't forget Serbia/Bosnia, the real sons of Rome. And the Ottomans, the Sultanate of Rum.

Dont forget Kyiv and Trebizond! :hist101:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'm here to tell you about an excellent game I'm having so far

Human Castille, human England, that is all. Commence the dick punching of all of Europe

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

YouTuber posted:

Is there even any Allies capable of stunting that kind of poo poo in the region? I checked Hungary, PLC, and Austria aren't possible to improve for Alliance in my past 5 attempts. The regional states are all on truce until Dec 1449 so they're useless for offensive wars. Even if I did dupe Austria or Hungary into a war they're land powers and I can't manage parity with the Ottomans.

Also it was 50/50 galleys and light ships.

You can get Poland without a dip rep advisor. You can get Austria with a dip rep advisor. It just comes down to if the ottomans will leave you alone long enough.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Another Person posted:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Node posted:

Serbia, true head of the holy orthodox church, fifth rome.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey if Austria has a vassal can they add their provinces to the HRE?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Tsyni posted:

In my Portugal game and Japan game Russia was a pretty dominant power and did manage to reach Asia.

However, in my Qing game they managed to form but were completed absorbed by the Commonwealth and were only left with a couple states in Sibera by the end.

In my Poland game Muscovy was pretty big but I hosed with them pretty hard and now Russia will never form.

These games were all done post-Common Sense patch (but no Common Sense dlc).

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I'm here to tell you about an excellent game I'm having so far

Human Castille, human England, that is all. Commence the dick punching of all of Europe

You really want to feel like a god? Boot up the old France/Ottomans/Muscovy trifecta

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is terrible. I've been so completely spoiled by playing theocracies and republics that I've lost any desire to play as a monarchy. Having basically no control over my ruler seems like the worst part of the game now. Now every idea I have for playing a country that starts as a monarchy is prefaced by wondering what I'm going to do while I fill out the required idea groups to get a proper government. Take my story as a cautionary tale, stay away from superior government forms.

:negative:

Gitro
May 29, 2013
The game decided to just give me achievements last night. Finally rolled a 5/6/5 heir, and in my quest to actually get him on the throne I sent my noble king into glorious battle. For some reason the game decided that qualified me for the It's All About Luck achievement, despite the fact that I very definitely had my pretty decent king-general leading my stack since before the battle started. Can you glitch into getting that if another participant went in without a leader or something? I completely forgot to screenshot it but it's possible Navarra or someone joined in the fun and arrived before me.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Tsyni posted:

Are you on the beta patch? They got some useful buffs to their starting territories/position in 1.13 and have been pretty consistently powerful in my games. They still tend to lose a ton of their European territory in the mid/late-game, but at least now they form Russia pretty much every time and at least don't struggle with Novgorod and Kazan for 150 years before having to release all their former vassals and being banished to eastern Siberia. I've noticed they also actually manage to colonize all of Siberia/Girin now (presumably because of the more stable start which lets them actually expand instead of having to fight rebels/neighbors all game long) and even occasionally get into the Philippines/Malacca regions. Helps change things up a bit instead of it always being Spain/Portugal/GB/France that colonize literally everything.

Speaking of which, I don't think the AI knows how to handle colonial conquest CBs. I keep seeing European nations declare war on colonial tribes that they have no intention of actually conquering, occupying their one province, and then peacing out in exchange for like 2 prestige and 50 ducats. I mean I guess it's free money but it still seems kind of funny when a gigantic Russia picks a fight with some random OPM over nothing. Granted, that's not exactly historically inaccurate...

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

VDay posted:

Are you on the beta patch? They got some useful buffs to their starting territories/position in 1.13 and have been pretty consistently powerful in my games. They still tend to lose a ton of their European territory in the mid/late-game, but at least now they form Russia pretty much every time and at least don't struggle with Novgorod and Kazan for 150 years before having to release all their former vassals and being banished to eastern Siberia. I've noticed they also actually manage to colonize all of Siberia/Girin now (presumably because of the more stable start which lets them actually expand instead of having to fight rebels/neighbors all game long) and even occasionally get into the Philippines/Malacca regions. Helps change things up a bit instead of it always being Spain/Portugal/GB/France that colonize literally everything.

Speaking of which, I don't think the AI knows how to handle colonial conquest CBs. I keep seeing European nations declare war on colonial tribes that they have no intention of actually conquering, occupying their one province, and then peacing out in exchange for like 2 prestige and 50 ducats. I mean I guess it's free money but it still seems kind of funny when a gigantic Russia picks a fight with some random OPM over nothing. Granted, that's not exactly historically inaccurate...

I am. It's probably just luck of the draw. PLC seems especially tough these days so I have been chalking it up to that.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Why do my colonial nations never take any territory when I tell them to start a colonial war? Even when the target is way weaker and they've beaten their army already, they always just take a truce. Is there some hidden modifier in there to prevent abuse of that system?

Gitro
May 29, 2013
So does the Spread the Revolution CB let you religiously convert whoever you want or something? I just converted Sunni Mali to Catholic.

TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008
In the process of westernizing as Inca in my "A Sun God" attempt. When westernization completes will I instantly lose my banked monarch points or will I have an opportunity to spend the surplus points with the discounted techs?

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

TomEmanski posted:

In the process of westernizing as Inca in my "A Sun God" attempt. When westernization completes will I instantly lose my banked monarch points or will I have an opportunity to spend the surplus points with the discounted techs?

It used to be the next time anything changes your points you will lose them(so the end of the month in the best case). It means it isn't worthwhile having more than 1 tech worth on top of the 999.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Ghetto Prince posted:

Is it just me or is Moscow/Russia designed to always explode around 1600?

Time of Troubles event can fire between 1550-1650, so ... yes, basically.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

TomEmanski posted:

You don't lose them. You're stuck with the new 999 cap but you wont lose any banked points after westernization finishes, as far as I know. So if you end up with 2400 diplo points or whatever you can spend your way down after you westernize.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Dreylad posted:

You don't lose them. You're stuck with the new 999 cap but you wont lose any banked points after westernization finishes.

I'm pretty sure as soon as anything happens to change the amount of monarch points you have it gets reset to 999. You get one action (or a month tick) to get it below 999 or you loose whatever is left over.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm pretty sure as soon as anything happens to change the amount of monarch points you have it gets reset to 999. You get one action (or a month tick) to get it below 999 or you loose whatever is left over.

Oh okay, I guess I've always been quick to spend my points as soon as I westernize. Good to know!

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Messing around with a Tidore/Ternate run and it's pretty satisfying how fast you can go from a dinky worthless OPM in the China tech group to being an Indonesian juggernaut. Decent ideas for raking in cash and colonizing the spice islands.

If you want to get going fast you do need to make a no-CB war pretty soon but after that you should be able to fabricate your way to Malacca and start printing money. I converted to Hindu as soon as I could since the -10% core creation cost is really nice considering how much you need admin points.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

aeglus posted:

Messing around with a Tidore/Ternate run and it's pretty satisfying how fast you can go from a dinky worthless OPM in the China tech group to being an Indonesian juggernaut. Decent ideas for raking in cash and colonizing the spice islands.

If you want to get going fast you do need to make a no-CB war pretty soon but after that you should be able to fabricate your way to Malacca and start printing money. I converted to Hindu as soon as I could since the -10% core creation cost is really nice considering how much you need admin points.

You don't need a no-CB war though. You can send some light ships to the philippines and fabricate a trade war on Makassar to get borders with the Hindus.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

TomEmanski posted:

Once you complete your westernization if you have more then 999 monarch points they'll be grey and the next time the game checks how many monarch points you are supposed to have they'll be reduced down to 999. This will happen once you gain more at the start of the next month or if you spend any. This means that if you have 2k monarch points and you spend 500 on a tech you'll effectivly spend 1k instead (which is probably still cheaper then buying it before completing the westernization). Banking monarch points can be useful but only to an extend. You can also store dip monarch points by starting culture conversions the month before you finish your westernization and getting a refund once you're done with it.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Question: what is the prettiest map-mod?

Specifically looking for one that adds a more consistent projection and fixes up the physical geography while remaining as base-game compatible as possible.

I'm checking out Typus Orbis Terrarum and wondering if there are other similar options, since it makes Europe look a little too squashed latitudinally.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I haven't played in a while and just started a new Denmark game. I have integrated all of my PUs, have most of the Baltic coast and am now pushing into the hordes. I made Muscovy a march and I'm wondering if they still have a limit on provinces before they stop getting the march bonuses? I don't see anything about it anywhere anymore.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

anti_strunt posted:

Specifically looking for one that adds a more consistent projection and fixes up the physical geography while remaining as base-game compatible as possible.

I'm checking out Typus Orbis Terrarum and wondering if there are other similar options, since it makes Europe look a little too squashed latitudinally.

Typus is the only one I know of that actually uses a proper projection.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

anti_strunt posted:

I'd be happy for someone to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you're going to find one better than Typus; changing the entire projection is a huge amount of work so I don't think there are many people that have done it. Europe is only really squished in the far north anyway, it might stop bothering you after you've used it for a bit?

I've been using it pretty much exclusively for a month now; it doesn't have the kind of gameplay ramifications I hoped it would have in terms of colonial range and all that (at least not that I've seen; I haven't actually played a colonial game but the AI has been going to roughly the same spots), but the unexpected fact that all the rivers actually line up properly with the borders is so much more satisfying, I can't even overstate it. For me anyway. It makes your borders so much prettier.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

deathbagel posted:

I haven't played in a while and just started a new Denmark game. I have integrated all of my PUs, have most of the Baltic coast and am now pushing into the hordes. I made Muscovy a march and I'm wondering if they still have a limit on provinces before they stop getting the march bonuses? I don't see anything about it anywhere anymore.

Nope, no size limit on marches.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Koramei posted:

I'd be happy for someone to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you're going to find one better than Typus; changing the entire projection is a huge amount of work so I don't think there are many people that have done it. Europe is only really squished in the far north anyway, it might stop bothering you after you've used it for a bit?

I've been using it pretty much exclusively for a month now; it doesn't have the kind of gameplay ramifications I hoped it would have in terms of colonial range and all that (at least not that I've seen; I haven't actually played a colonial game but the AI has been going to roughly the same spots), but the unexpected fact that all the rivers actually line up properly with the borders is so much more satisfying, I can't even overstate it. For me anyway. It makes your borders so much prettier.

Mm, you'd have to be a bit a map-obsessive to care, it's true, but when the geometric perfection of the French hexagon is lost I just get a bit sad.

Also, prettier borders is my end purpose. The reason I asked was to have a nice world-level basis to work from, and if Typus is the best it's good enough for me. Just doodled up new borders for the Netherlands and Belgium (internal borders still pending):

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Does development in Colonial/Vassal nations count towards the requirement to upgrade your government rank?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

420 Gank Mid posted:

Does development in Colonial/Vassal nations count towards the requirement to upgrade your government rank?

Nope. Maaaaybe it counts your vassal income efficiency towards development of vassals, like it does for the cutoffs to joining the HRE.

But I'm pretty sure it's just your directly controlled provinces.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So years and years ago I gave the Spanish Caribbean the order to start a colonial war against British Colombia. British Colombia has about 5 troops.

Since then that 25 stack has been sitting there. As have the 9 transport ships. I tried reloading hoping the AI would become unstuck. Nothing. And when I play it myself and leave Spain in the hands of the AI even for a day it just scuttles half my fleet and reorganizes all my armies :argh:

Any way to end this war?
And why is British Colombia a valid colonial war target for Spanish Caribbean and not Spanish Colombia?

Edit: Used the "yesman" cheat and enforced peace. Still, those troops seem stuck there forever.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 9, 2015

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Cynic Jester posted:

You don't need a no-CB war though. You can send some light ships to the philippines and fabricate a trade war on Makassar to get borders with the Hindus.

Hmm good idea.

I'll add to not try and take Japan when Korea has half of it and is allied to Ming. Ming is worse than the Ottomans and France combined. Pretty much wrecked my run in a single war :(

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Playing as Russia, it's about 1700 and some revolutionary rebels just popped up in Danzig and Riga. Is it realistic to hope that they will work their way to Moscow and siege it down so I can become a republic? Would it help if I mothballed all of the forts between the Baltic and Moscow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Playing as Russia, it's about 1700 and some revolutionary rebels just popped up in Danzig and Riga. Is it realistic to hope that they will work their way to Moscow and siege it down so I can become a republic? Would it help if I mothballed all of the forts between the Baltic and Moscow?
No idea if it's realistic but mothballing would help a lot if they actually get moving yes.

• Locked thread