Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Meridian posted:

You're really annoying, and arguing for the sake of it while missing the point entirely.

Take a loving chill pill. If I'm missing the point, it's likely because you're explaining it poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

I'm pretty sure his entire shitposting ~thing~ is that NV was terrible and FO3 was much better, but I could be mistaking him for any number of others that were doing this same thing in this thread.

I like both games and would be happy to talk about the merits of both, but I don't think anyone really gives a poo poo about making a case for either one being DA BEST. If they do, they shouldn't.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

I'm pretty sure his entire shitposting ~thing~ is that NV was terrible and FO3 was much better, but I could be mistaking him for any number of others that were doing this same thing in this thread.

I learned from the best, teacher.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

JackBadass posted:

Did you have amnesia at the start? I honestly forget.

It has nothing to do with amnesia.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

frajaq posted:

Yeah this was always a cool part of New Vegas, until Lonesome Road and Ulysses happened

That's unfortunately the price of building up Ulysses as someone who was involved with you or this mysterious guy who wants you dead. You take away the blank slate you had once you got shot in the head and have to deal with a past as soon as you start that area.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Meridian posted:

I like both games and would be happy to talk about the merits of both, but I don't think anyone really gives a poo poo about making a case for either one being DA BEST. If they do, they shouldn't.

Hoooo boy you missed out some fun discussions in this thread! :suicide:

frajaq fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 9, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Meridian posted:

I like both games and would be happy to talk about the merits of both

Good, since that's what's happening here.

Alain Post posted:

It has nothing to do with amnesia.

If you do, then that makes it okay. If you don't, then you have backstory with Benny prior to the game, and thus fall into the same problem. I seriously don't remember if you do, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crabtree posted:

That's unfortunately the price of building up Ulysses as someone who was involved with you or this mysterious guy who wants you dead. You take away the blank slate you had once you got shot in the head and have to deal with a past as soon as you start that area.

Someone can correct me on this, but IIRC the "past" that gets assigned to you is that at some point in the past, you delivered a package to the Divide before it blew up. The fact that you don't really know anything more about your involvement beyond that is actually part of the narrative setup. I get that this can be an issue if your personal history is that you're from the PacNW or if the Chip was your first job or something, but it isn't really comparable to having your entire origin pinned down like FO3 or like, a Mass Effect game or something.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JackBadass posted:

I learned from the best, teacher.

I don't give a poo poo which is 'better', though? I have literally no pony in this show, I played both and enjoyed both for what they were, and now I can play them together with TTW.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

I don't give a poo poo which is 'better', though? I have literally no pony in this show, I played both and enjoyed both for what they were, and now I can play them together with TTW.

I meant learning how to shitpost.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

JackBadass posted:

If you do, then that makes it okay. If you don't, then you have backstory with Benny prior to the game, and thus fall into the same problem. I seriously don't remember if you do, though.

You have no history with Benny when he shoots you. The entire hook that kicks off the story is "Why did this guy who you know nothing about shoot you over a useless poker chip".

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JackBadass posted:

I meant learning how to shitpost.

Everytime I shitpost I get probated so try harder please

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

JackBadass posted:

Good, since that's what's happening here.

I think it has been stated by the developers that the Courier doesn't have amnesia as a result of being shot in the face.

It's not really the same problem because the only real "backstory" you have as a result of being shot by Benny is that you're a wasteland person doing wasteland stuff, as is every single other person alive in the game. The difference between Vegas and Fallout 3 is that in Fallout 3 you have the whole vault dweller upbringing thing going on.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Alain Post posted:

Someone can correct me on this, but IIRC the "past" that gets assigned to you is that at some point in the past, you delivered a package to the Divide before it blew up. The fact that you don't really know anything more about your involvement beyond that is actually part of the narrative setup. I get that this can be an issue if your personal history is that you're from the PacNW or if the Chip was your first job or something, but it isn't really comparable to having your entire origin pinned down like FO3 or like, a Mass Effect game or something.

Oh I didn't say it was a problem, I was just saying that's the price you pay when you do Lonesome Road. If you didn't like the history they gave you with Ulysses and preferred to never have it, you could always just avoid that content. It certainly is a lot less ham handed than the time skipped history you're forced into in Vault 101. Which makes me wonder how bad the history you could develop with your family or whatever before the Bombs drop could be. Will it really matter and you're just wasting time until the story progresses and you're taken to the vault? Will it influence anything besides stats, your sex, face and names?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 9, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Alain Post posted:

This bothered me more than if they had actually forced some 'real' history between you two. It's really goddamn boring and stupid that his entire hangup with you is 'you delivered a package'.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Meridian posted:

I think it has been stated by the developers that the Courier doesn't have amnesia as a result of being shot in the face.

It's not really the same problem because the only real "backstory" you have as a result of being shot by Benny is that you're a wasteland person doing wasteland stuff, as is every single other person alive in the game. The difference between Vegas and Fallout 3 is that in Fallout 3 you have the whole vault dweller upbringing thing going on.

Eh. Yeah, I can see one does it to a lesser degree, but I still feel they're both guilty of it. I don't really have a problem with either of them, though. 3's worked for its plot and NV's for theirs. I never felt like I, as a player, was being left out of the loop on knowledge of the past that factored into the plot in any significant way.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

This bothered me more than if they had actually forced some 'real' history between you two. It's really goddamn boring and stupid that his entire hangup with you is 'you delivered a package'.

I don't disagree, but the whole set up for that I thought was really great. Getting glimpses of this dude's vendetta across all the DLCs was really interesting and I was willing to put up with the bit of character dictation to see it. I mean really, this dude is straight crazy for being so pissed at you about it and that's what makes it so great because rationally how could anyone actually blame the Courier for it?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

The worst part of Lonesome Road was Ulysses's voice. It was like nails on a chalkboard.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Magmarashi posted:

The impression I got that was he went nuts over the PC being oblivious to the aftermath of his actions.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Alain Post posted:

The impression I got that was he went nuts over the PC being oblivious to the aftermath of his actions.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Alain Post posted:

I thought he was fairly interesting until they revealed that he was basically just projecting his mental illness onto your character. I found it hard to remain engaged with someone else's psychosis.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

graynull posted:

I thought he was fairly interesting until they revealed that he was basically just projecting his mental illness onto your character. I found it hard to remain engaged with someone else's psychosis.

There were definitely missteps, but over all I liked it.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

JackBadass posted:

The worst part of Lonesome Road was Ulysses's voice. It was like nails on a chalkboard.

He was good when you talked to him face-to-face but yeah, I always skipped his dialogue when he spoke through ED-E because the reverb gave me a loving headache...

As far as giving your character a backstory, I figured it was easy enough for the player to pick whether there was some truth to what Ulysses told you or if he was totally off his nut, so it never really bothered me that much.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

HalfHazard posted:

As far as giving your character a backstory, I figured it was easy enough for the player to pick whether there was some truth to what Ulysses told you or if he was totally off his nut, so it never really bothered me that much.

I'd never thought of it that way. That's interesting.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I think someone said it earlier, but Ulysses's entire world view depends on poo poo having meanings and he can't get over the fact that you must have had some loving purpose for delivering the thing that destroyed the divide and weren't' just a hapless patsy and delivery boy/girl.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i wish bitter drink wasn't locked behind lonesome road because that poo poo was super useful for a dude with high survival.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I really loved the story and idea behind Ulysses but the execution was way too lackluster.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Well he was initially going to be something different if the Obsidian Curse didn't take place, so he's pretty much par for the Van Buren course at this point.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Crabtree posted:

Well he was initially going to be something different if the Obsidian Curse didn't take place, so he's pretty much par for the Van Buren course at this point.

What?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

poo poo not going as they intended and content getting scrapped? You know, the Kotor 2 effect? Ulysses was originally supposed to be in the main game as a Legion favoring companion that would tempt you into the Legion's ideology and react as a "sounding board" to the NCR Legion conflict. Which basically meant that depending on winning him over and doing his vision quest, he'd show your side on his jacket if you supported a free Vegas, NCR or Legion control. No idea if he would have done anything over House.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 9, 2015

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

That's honestly way loving worst

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

The more I hear about Van Buren, the more happy I get that it didn't happen.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

That looks more like Obsidian need to plan their poo poo better

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

wasnt that poo poo scrapped pretty early? like barely a few months in development before they went "alright lets focus on other stuff instead."

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Tunnel Snakes rule!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Well it wasn't early enough to where he was still in their special card deck, but yeah, Obsidian does have a bit of a reputation with cutting poo poo or altering the plan due to complications. They've probably gotten better at management after nearly dying and then making two kickstarter games, but they probably need to stay vigilant just in case.

Or am I mixing up that almost going defunct part with InXile?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 9, 2015

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Reading over the wiki entry for the courier, it appears that he knows nothing about anything, explained away by having some ill-defined 'brain condition' which could easily be confused for amnesia. The endings to the game are essentially 4 factional 'victories' and karma derived fluff no more interesting than being taunted by Ron Perlman anyway. Memory loss is pretty well the least imaginative cliche since the invention of narrative. And people are arguing this game was well written. I actually agree with greynull, that makes me long to spend more time trapped in the starting sequence of F3.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 9, 2015

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

Tunnel Snakes rule!

LIKE I
GIVE A poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Courier does not have amnesia.

Adbot