Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
If only I had seen the license plate that read "ONGAITOFANMLS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Junkfist posted:

If only I had seen the license plate that read "ONGAITOFANMLS"

What is this Europe? 7 Alphanumerics man, Jesus :rolleyes:

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Karnegal posted:

What is this Europe? 7 Alphanumerics man, Jesus :rolleyes:

Tell that to this guy:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Junkfist posted:

If the audience knows more than the main character in a mystery or suspense then we have the additional problem of not being able to sympathize with the protagonist, their plight and their emotional state.

I'd say you have some issues if you can't sympathize for Max who just saw her BFF shot in the loving head, was betrayed by her mentor, is drugged up, and knows that she's gonna get posed and probably killed with no hope for anyone to save her.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Junkfist posted:

If the audience knows more than the main character in a mystery or suspense then we have the additional problem of not being able to sympathize with the protagonist, their plight and their emotional state.

It is one of the many things that's making the whole story fluff and camp.

Which, even if Life is Strange is generally more B-movie fun, at least Tales From the Borderlands is doing on purpose.

If you weren't sympathetic to Max as she helplessly attempted to rewind while watching her BFF drop dead to the ground, I don't know what to tell you. Pretty sure being a little nervous at what Jefferson/Nathan have in store for her is also a common feeling amongst players - even with the almost certainty that she'll escape somehow - since we don't know how far the devs will let the psychos go before that happens. Reminder that the protagonist is not a well-trained badass, just a teenager who already witnessed more poo poo that most people do in their whole lives, so if you don't relate to Max at least in some small way by now, that is definitely a problem, but I'm not sure the game's at fault here.

edit: ^^^^ 'sup, fellow sympathizer

seravid fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 7, 2015

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Did anyone ever post the txt messages you get if Kate is dead ? I'm still curious about that, but not curious enough to go back through 10-12 hours of gameplay.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Sir you need a mental evaluation if you don't deeply sympathize with Life is Strange, a story on par with Hamlet and the works of Aristotle despite it having very nebulous stakes and predictable setups. The use of three different "too cool for school" jokes this episode across different characters and universes by teenage girls who are really into 80s shows and music that a 30 something writer might like was ironic.

Hey who knows maybe they'll surprise me with a "Dehumanize Your Selfie" ending where we get to kill Victoria and Nathan to become Jefferson's new apprentice, but I honestly don't expect this game to be as good as Way of the Samurai 4.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away

Junkfist posted:

Hey who knows maybe they'll surprise me with a "Dehumanize Your Selfie" ending where we get to kill Victoria and Nathan to become Jefferson's new apprentice, but I honestly don't expect this game to be as good as Way of the Samurai 4.

What you appear to be looking for in a game is certainly not what Life is Strange is going for. You may be interested in games like Grand Theft Auto, The Witcher, or The Phantom Pain. Those are probably closer to what you want out of a story.

Also, Max Payne 2 was pretty good.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Junkfist posted:

Sir you need a mental evaluation if you don't deeply sympathize with Life is Strange, a story on par with Hamlet and the works of Aristotle despite it having very nebulous stakes and predictable setups. The use of three different "too cool for school" jokes this episode across different characters and universes by teenage girls who are really into 80s shows and music that a 30 something writer might like was ironic.

...speaking of "too cool for school"

At least you went from "no stakes" to "very nebulous stakes"; we'll get to solid sntakes eventually.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
You caught me we're at a point in a story as an audience where schrodinger's stakes may or may not exist depending on whether or not we rewind ti-wait wait they're disappearing poo poo.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
You're projecting as fact on how you experienced a subjective story on to everyone else. No, everyone is not in agreement that the story has "no stakes." I'm sorry you don't seem to be enjoying a game you paid for, but on the bright side, you don't have to wait TWO FREAKING MONTHS FOR THE NEXT EPISODE. gently caress.

You're also trying really hard to persuade us that the game is bad for some reason. It won't work, friend.

Parkingtigers posted:

One small touch I really liked was in the use of the Amanda Palmer song at the moment Max returned to the present. There's a break in the reunion dialogue right at the moment the song gets to the part about becoming "a good defensive driver". I don't know if intentional or just serendipity, but it sure felt to me like a comment on Chloe's car crash.

Most of the licensed music in this game probably has a double meaning or something relevant to the story in them. They were intentionally chosen.

For example, when Max first visits Chloe's room, Chloe asks Max to put on some music. Max finds a CD with "Santa Monica Dream" - Angus and Julius Stone in a box with a picture of Chloe and Rachel. They were both planning on leaving Arcadia Bay until Rachel disappeared and Chloe gave up trying to leave in an effort to search for Rachel. Some of the lyrics can be interpreted to be Chloe's thoughts after Rachel went missing.

code:
I'm somewhere, you're somewhere
I'm nowhere, you're nowhere
You're somewhere, you're somewhere
I could go there but I don't...

I'm singing songs about the future
Wondering where you are
I could call you on the telephone
But do I really want to know?
None of this is written down. There is no Chloe dialogue saying something dumb like "This song has a special meaning to me now that Rachel is gone :downs:" Its just a fun little thing we can use our imaginations about to fill in some back story, which is part of what makes this game so cool.

Although, now that I think about it, Max does have an explicit line where she wonders if this song has special meaning to Chloe, so i'm not as clever as I thought.

The ending montage of episode 1 features Syd Matters - Obstacles playing over it, while the camera looks at different characters noticing a snow shower in 80 degree weather. At the end of that episode, I, and many others, were on board for a coming of age story with a twee hipster girl. Max rekindling her friendship with her estranged best friend was in front of us, and the grimdark turns in episode 4 were a long way off.

code:
We played hide and seek in waterfalls
We were younger, we were younger.
Someday we will foresee obstacles
Through the blizzard, through the blizzard.

Torgo2727 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 8, 2015

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
One small touch I really liked was in the use of the Amanda Palmer song at the moment Max returned to the present. There's a break in the reunion dialogue right at the moment the song gets to the part about becoming "a good defensive driver". I don't know if intentional or just serendipity, but it sure felt to me like a comment on Chloe's car crash.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Torgo2727 posted:

You're projecting as fact on how you experienced a subjective story on to everyone else. No, everyone is not in agreement that the story has "no stakes." I'm sorry you don't seem to be enjoying a game you paid for, but on the bright side, you don't have to wait TWO FREAKING MONTHS FOR THE NEXT EPISODE. gently caress.

You're also trying really hard to persuade us that the game is bad for some reason. It won't work, friend.

Um excuse me I've explicitly stated I like this silly game with a bad story that has no stakes in this thread, though certainly not enough to dissect Amanda Palmer lyrics.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004

Junkfist posted:

Um excuse me I've explicitly stated I like this silly game with a bad story that has no stakes in this thread, though certainly not enough to dissect Amanda Palmer lyrics.

Clearly not.

Also, I didn't dissect the Amanda Palmer song. :hehe:

Torgo2727 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 8, 2015

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm slightly less of a nerd then you!!!!

No! I am the less nerd!!!!!

Actually I am a huge loser nerd that enjoyed that little musing on how the music connects to the story even if I don't have time or inclination to examine any of it myself

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The best part of every thread is when someone posts a negative opinion and everyone gets mad.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Zelder posted:

The best part of every thread is when someone posts a negative opinion and everyone gets mad.

I actually think the best part is when someone posts this comment as if they are the first one to notice it.

We get it guys, all something awful threads follow the same patterns. All this has happened before and all this will happen again.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Talorat posted:

I actually think the best part is when someone posts this comment as if they are the first one to notice it.

We get it guys, all something awful threads follow the same patterns. All this has happened before and all this will happen again.

Heh. Well, this is my favourite part.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
My favorite part of last episode is when Max cattily bitched to Chloe about Victoria winning the Everyday Heroes contest while they're on a murder-hunt under a double-moon since finding Rachel Amber's rotting corpse with about 6 hours remaining before tornado touchdown.

It really helps establish Max as a self-involved budding psychopath who's going to recreate the ending of The Ninth Gate by loving Mr. Jefferson in front of a burning lighthouse.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

max is cool

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Junkfist posted:

My favorite part of last episode is when Max cattily bitched to Chloe about Victoria winning the Everyday Heroes contest while they're on a murder-hunt under a double-moon since finding Rachel Amber's rotting corpse with about 6 hours remaining before tornado touchdown.

It really helps establish Max as a self-involved budding psychopath who's going to recreate the ending of The Ninth Gate by loving Mr. Jefferson in front of a burning lighthouse.

Yeah I dunno about that beef especially since you may or may not have just made friends with her.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

That sequence is all over the place. An egocentric kid stopping for a minute to see who won the big contest is fine, but acting disgusted at Victoria for blackmailing Jefferson when she just wished her luck (if you went that way) is an inexcusable mistake in this genre. It's either that or the devs just assumed every player would be a spiteful rear end in a top hat who willingly throws Victoria to the wolves instead of making peace.

Worst of all is still Max's sudden and inexplicable bloodlust; all game long she's the voice of reason to balance Chloe's recklessness - not to mention specifically warning her to not rely on her powers - but the plot needs both of them to act brain-dead, so let's go alone in the middle of the night in an isolated creepy junkyard because an insane drug addict told us to!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It is completely consistent with the previous episodes that Max does really dumb poo poo because Chloe says so.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I tried warning Victoria but, due to some previous mistakes decisions, she didn't believe a word of it. I actually thought it'd be best to reverse it and not warn her so she wouldn't clue in Nathan that I was on to him.

Looking back on it now, I guess that still makes me kind of an rear end in a top hat. :negative:

edit: Playing cautious with spoilers, I guess.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

seravid posted:

Worst of all is still Max's sudden and inexplicable bloodlust; all game long she's the voice of reason to balance Chloe's recklessness - not to mention specifically warning her to not rely on her powers - but the plot needs both of them to act brain-dead, so let's go alone in the middle of the night in an isolated creepy junkyard because an insane drug addict told us to!

I think this is something they failed to show and not just tell, because if you check Max's journal during this sequence Max writes that she's following Chloe along to try to keep her from straight up killing Nathan.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

AriadneThread posted:

I think this is something they failed to show and not just tell, because if you check Max's journal during this sequence Max writes that she's following Chloe along to try to keep her from straight up killing Nathan.
It's kinda strange they didn't show it for this, yet did for a lot of other things. Stuff like swimming pool and the junkyard scenes felt like they had a lot more "Aw geez, Chloe, I dunno about this." options than Chloe stomping into a party on school grounds carrying a gun. I figure that anything Max would say then wouldn't really have an effect on Chloe anyway considering that she just found Rachel's dead body , but it felt odd to have it completely absent.

Also, I just learned that it's possible for Chloe's phone to have a picture of Max as the wallpaper and not the one of her and Rachel if you back Chloe on big decisions. I'm an awful friend :smith:

e: jesus the name Chloe like the female version of Michael. There are multiple people in my life with both names and I should I know how to spell it by now, but I'm just dumb.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 9, 2015

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

You watched Dranks too huh?

It was pretty good after Broteam's brain fell apart at the clues section I think he legitimately blacked out and started talking about the time Paul Bernardo tried to kill his mother for her feet.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Junkfist posted:

You watched Dranks too huh?

It was pretty good after Broteam's brain fell apart at the clues section I think he legitimately blacked out and started talking about the time Paul Bernardo tried to kill his mother for her feet.
Nah I'm just an idiot who can't spell.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Moltrey posted:

It's kinda strange they didn't show it for this, yet did for a lot of other things. Stuff like swimming pool and the junkyard scenes felt like they had a lot more "Aw geez, Chloe, I dunno about this." options than Chloe stomping into a party on school grounds carrying a gun. I figure that anything Max would say then wouldn't really have an effect on Chloe anyway considering that she just found Rachel's dead body , but it felt odd to have it completely absent.

Also, I just learned that it's possible for Chloe's phone to have a picture of Max as the wallpaper and not the one of her and Rachel if you back Chloe on big decisions. I'm an awful friend :smith:

e: jesus the name Chloe like the female version of Michael. There are multiple people in my life with both names and I should I know how to spell it by now, but I'm just dumb.

Yeah the journal has a lot of characterization that's never mentioned,like a ton of it.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Completely forgot about the journal, I haven't read most of this episode's entries. It really does feel like a necessary tool - that shouldn't exist or at least be this essential - to get the whole picture.

But whatever the journal says, in-game Max's answer to Chloe's line "Who cares about the contest? I want Nathan's punkass now" (paraphrasing) is "Yeah, me too", so my point stands.

VagueRant posted:

It is completely consistent with the previous episodes that Max does really dumb poo poo because Chloe says so.

Playing with a gun shooting bottles was a dumb way to bond; breaking into the school (with keys) was part of the investigation; going to Frank was risky, but needed for the code book; those are consistent in that they all had a clear goal and the pros outweighed the cons. Actively hunting down a deranged and armed junkie? That's all cons and the goal is simply revenge.

Moltrey posted:

Just googled that and the requirements are hilarious. What a character in a video game chooses as a wallpaper for her phone is bottom of the barrel stuff, but it'd be a neat detail if your playthrough is going that way, not gonna lie. You apparently have to do at least three of these four things:

1 - say the weed was yours
2 - reject Kate's call
3 - (try to) shoot Frank
4 - steal the money

I like Chloe, but she can gently caress right off on this one. Trying to shoot Frank is reasonable given the circumstances, but the rest? Holy poo poo.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I thought the money was a bribe described as something else, since I think it would be more official than a bunch of bills in a brown envelope.

alternate universe Chloe not being able to go to school because of the effort taken to provide help for her made me think that too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The money definitely turned out to be a front for something, Max says she wished she'd let Chloe steal it at one point.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Uh, actually it's the opposite: the money was/will be used to upgrade the dorms and Max says she's glad she didn't let Chloe steal it. Unless there are multiple versions of this...?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i took the money and there was a sign at the dorm that said WHEELCHAIR RAMP PROJECT and then it said POSTPONED INDEFINITELY or whatever and max said oh gently caress we took the wheelchair ramp money we are the worst

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I honestly forget the journals too. I might do a replay to read those and the get all the pictures which I'm really loving bad at cause I only got two in Episode 4.

seravid posted:

Just googled that and the requirements are hilarious. What a character in a video game chooses as a wallpaper for her phone is bottom of the barrel stuff, but it'd be a neat detail if your playthrough is going that way, not gonna lie. You apparently have to do at least three of these four things:

1 - say the weed was yours
2 - reject Kate's call
3 - (try to) shoot Frank
4 - steal the money

I like Chloe, but she can gently caress right off on this one. Trying to shoot Frank is reasonable given the circumstances, but the rest? Holy poo poo.
Yeah, they're total bullshit, but it's fun detail.

Even Chloe regrets getting mad at you for taking Kate's call, but I guess what you do in those events can be proof to Chloe that Max is back in her life again in willing to support her again. The worst one for me is stealing the money. Like, so far it hasn't had any repercussions, but at the time it feels like a big choice in making this minor trespassing offense into robbery, but for Chloe I guess that's a big thing on whether you're really her friend or not.

Rachel Amber probably would've let Chloe take the money....

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe I remembered it wrong :v:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Sakurazuka posted:

So far I think it's just determined whether or not the Boys Dorm has a sign out front that says they're putting in a handicap access? I could be wrong though.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah, if you don't steal the money, in the alternate universe Chloe's room there's a letter from the principal saying it's "impractical" for a disabled student like Chloe to be admitted to Blackwell, as well as that they weren't up to code for wheelchair access and never would be. Max says she wishes she had stolen the money because the principal is a piece of poo poo for not admitting Chloe to the school.

Edit because I'm actually kind of disappointed in this. I'm doing a second playthrough and I readily stole the money assuming it was a front based on the letter I saw in my other save file, but they're really going to plop a "WELL NOW WE CAN'T GET HANDICAPPED RAMPS" sign to guilt me over the decision? That is kind of lovely. :(

double edit: VVV oh well poo poo I didn't even see that.

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 9, 2015

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Here's the sign people who aren't dicks see at the entrance:

So yeah, gently caress stealing the money - even if it was dirty - because gently caress giving it to Frank either.

edit: ^^^^ this is a spoiler-free zone until ep5, go hog wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Where can you even see Chloe's phone?

I also totally did three of those things. But anyone who didn't take Kate's call is an rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread