Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Chichevache posted:

Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy! Kennedy's was named Lincoln!

Lincoln was in Monroe, Maryland just before he died! Kennedy was in Marilyn Monroe just before he died!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Kennedy was a president, and then he died. Lincoln was a president, and he died too.

COINCIDENCE?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

Kennedy was a president, and then he died. Lincoln was a president, and he died too.

COINCIDENCE?

Most presidents, actually, have died. Seems like the ones still living should be interrogated about it but i'm not the police

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

That wasn't what i was talking about.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Frostwerks posted:

That wasn't what i was talking about.

Yep, misunderstood. Carry on.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Wasabi the J posted:

You'd be surprised about how quickly things coincide in a 365/366 day calendar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

In a group of seventy random people, you have a 99% chance at sharing a birthday with someone, which seems incredibly high for around 1/5 the people for a 100% chance.

I haven't run the numbers on this, but is this a misstatement? Wouldn't it be: in a group of x people, there is a yy% chance of some pair having the same birthday? Not just a pair including you in particular.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Nth Doctor posted:

I haven't run the numbers on this, but is this a misstatement? Wouldn't it be: in a group of x people, there is a yy% chance of some pair having the same birthday? Not just a pair including you in particular.

Yeah, if that is what he was referring to, he fundamentally misunderstands how it works.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Nth Doctor posted:

Yes, that's what's true.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Here's real horror: The Upstairs lounge Fire.

http://weekinweird.com/2015/06/26/horrific-arson-upstairs-lounge-haunts-new-orleans-gay-community/

Warning: dead people.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Yeah, if that is what he was referring to, he fundamentally misunderstands how it works.

I hosed it up, but yes.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

There's a quality of writing out of Florida's Bay-area papers. Longform.org reprinted this Sunday, about the investigation into the murders of three Ohio women whose bodies were found in the water in 1989.

quote:

This was June 4, another hot and beautiful day. The Amber Waves, a sailboat on its way home to Tampa after a trip to Key West, had just crossed under the Skyway when several people on board saw an object in the water. It looks like a body, one of them said.

It was a female, floating face down, with her hands tied behind her back and her feet bound and a thin yellow rope around her neck. She was naked from the waist down.

A man from the Amber Waves radioed the Coast Guard, and a rescue boat was dispatched from the station at Bayboro Harbor in St. Petersburg. The Coast Guard crew quickly found the body, but recovering it from the water was difficult. The rope around the neck was attached to something heavy below the surface that could not be lifted. Noting the coordinates where the body had been found, the Coast Guard crew cut the line, placed the female in a body bag, pulled the bag onto the boat and headed back toward the station. The crew members had not yet reached the shore when they received another radio message: A second female body had just been sighted by two people on a sailboat.

This one was floating to the north of where the first body had been sighted. It was 2 miles off The Pier in St. Petersburg. Like the first, this body was face down, bound, with a rope around the neck and naked below the waist. The same Coast Guard crew was sent to recover it, and while the crew was doing so, a call came in of yet a third female, seen floating only a couple of hundred yards to the east.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There's a quality of writing out of Florida's Bay-area papers. Longform.org reprinted this Sunday, about the investigation into the murders of three Ohio women whose bodies were found in the water in 1989.

Well, there went half of my night. I hate these things -- they're so well-written and compelling that I wind up completely losing track of what I was doing before. This was a great read and made even creepier by the fact that I've been many of the places described.

Compulsive use of spoiler tags, sorry! For me the worst part is that, 3 years after they executed him, they proved that he murdered another woman from an unsolved case from 1990. There's really no telling how many other murders he committed if they only linked him to that in 2014.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

This is a fantastic read.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I seem to remember seeing either a documentary or true crime show like Forensics Files (except I seem to remember it being longer than a 30 min show - but my memory is bad). Does anyone remember that one? I remember being horrified when I saw it. The only other documentary (that I've seen) that did that was the one on HBO about the Iceman (the professional assassin).

mumm
Feb 19, 2011
Here are some nice nuclear accident reports.

http://www-pub.iaea.org/books/IAEABooks/Publications_on_Accident_Response

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Pro click right there. I spent half the day reading this between meetings. Terribly sad but fascinating. I would have felt bereft if there hadn't been resolution.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

flosofl posted:

I seem to remember seeing either a documentary or true crime show like Forensics Files (except I seem to remember it being longer than a 30 min show - but my memory is bad). Does anyone remember that one? I remember being horrified when I saw it. The only other documentary (that I've seen) that did that was the one on HBO about the Iceman (the professional assassin).

Didn't the second season of The Wire start because of a floating body and the fight over jurisdiction because no one wanted the case?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

Didn't the second season of The Wire start because of a floating body and the fight over jurisdiction because no one wanted the case?

Sorta, it started with a corpse in the water and McNulty did the research to throw it on his old detective captain dude as a giant 'gently caress you' for putting him on a boat.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

flosofl posted:

It was Forensic Files. I remembered the episode as soon as I got to the "blu w/wht" description of the boat. It helps that I only recently finished watching every episode of that show Netflix has available.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LivesInGrey posted:

It was Forensic Files. I remembered the episode as soon as I got to the "blu w/wht" description of the boat. It helps that I only recently finished watching every episode of that show Netflix has available.

That show is full of "unnerving". I wish they'd start it up again.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Yikes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernald_Feed_Materials_Production_Center

quote:

Fernald would gain notoriety by 1984 when it was learned that the plant was releasing millions of pounds of uranium dust into the atmosphere, causing major radioactive contamination of the surrounding areas. That same year, employee Dave Bocks, a 39 year old pipefitter, disappeared during the facility's graveyard shift and was later reported missing. Eventually, his remains were discovered inside a uranium processing furnace located in Plant 6; a sudden 28-degree drop in furnace temperature (which was kept at a constant 1300 degrees F) had been recorded at 5:15 AM during the night of Bocks' disappearance.[2] After the investigations, insufficient evidence was found relating to the death and the official ruling was that no foul play was involved. Some, however, including Bocks' family, have believed that he was murdered by one or more coworkers who suspected him of being a whistleblower in the 1984 nuclear emissions scandal. Other theories included an industrial accident or suicide. It is believed that Bocks was alive when he entered the furnace.

http://unsolved.com/archives/dave-bocks

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Oh poo poo I remember that episode! I also remember people years ago wondering if it was made up or the guy's name was changed because nothing could be found about it.

How do they know he was alive?

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

There's a Swedish/Danish crime TV show called The Bridge that got turned into the FX English language one, both have that as the premise. I liked the Scandinavian one, never saw the FX one.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RNG posted:

There's a Swedish/Danish crime TV show called The Bridge that got turned into the FX English language one, both have that as the premise. I liked the Scandinavian one, never saw the FX one.

There's also a British-French version, starring Stephen Dillane, aka Stannis the Rightful King of Westeros.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

There's also a British-French version, starring Stephen Dillane, aka Stannis the Rightful King of Westeros.

Nice! I'll have to track that down.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Speaking of nuclear stuff, here's a great article about the atomic bombing of Hiroshima - published in the August 31, 1946 New Yorker issue written by John Hersey. If I remember correctly, the different segments were published in serial format after the bomb landed and were later compiled into one whole piece for the one-year-anniversary.

quote:

A hundred thousand people were killed by the atomic bomb, and these six were among the survivors. They still wonder why they lived when so many others died. Each of them counts many small items of chance or volition—a step taken in time, a decision to go indoors, catching one streetcar instead of the next—that spared him. And now each knows that in the act of survival he lived a dozen lives and saw more death than he ever thought he would see. At the time, none of them knew anything.

Dr. Fujii hardly had time to think that he was dying before he realized that he was alive, squeezed tightly by two long timbers in a V across his chest, like a morsel suspended between two huge chopsticks—held upright, so that he could not move, with his head miraculously above water and his torso and legs in it. The remains of his hospital were all around him in a mad assortment of splintered lumber and materials for the relief of pain. His left shoulder hurt terribly. His glasses were gone.

I've read a print edition of it before (that had pictures of the survivors and other aspects), but Longform reminded me of its existence by recently linking to an online version. Unfortunately this one lacks the images. So there's that! Regarding the prose: some parts may feel a little off, as a couple descriptions in particular are definitely artifacts from the time period. It all depends.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Thanks for this. Read it over my workday. I was familiar with the case, but it is nice to have an in depth article. I drive past that boat ramp twice a day going to and from work.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

UnkleBoB posted:

Thanks for this. Read it over my workday. I was familiar with the case, but it is nice to have an in depth article. I drive past that boat ramp twice a day going to and from work.

I was absolutely glued to it. It's really rare for me to actually gasp out loud and laugh out loud and so on when reading stuff, but this did. It's haunted me all day.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

RC and Moon Pie posted:

This is excellent writing. I usually read this thread and think "Wow, that's pretty messed up" before going on with my day. This piece gave me chills and provoked some unsettlingly vivid imagery of that case.

Not enough detail to be nearly as unnerving as the Tampa case, but still a horrible way to die and just enough pieces of information to suggest that someone helped him into that furnace.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
That Tampa story kept me up for hours. In return have the story of Xichang, a Chinese rocket launching facility.

In 1996 the facility was contracted to launch a US telecommunications satellite on a Chinese Long March rocket. American employees of the satellite owner were in the city to help with the launch. They are the only reason the story is known.

quote:

Still, in the year leading up to the launch, Campbell and others were troubled by some of the things they saw and heard during their visits to Xichang. It wasn’t just the worry about espionage and the uncertainty over who might be listening in on them. (Campbell recalls that after he and his colleagues discussed over dinner the lack of a net on the hotel tennis court, a new net magically appeared.) It was more the Chinese attitude toward safety, which the Westerners thought was lax. Members of the U.S. team witnessed or heard from other colleagues about several close calls and accidents. The Intelsat-708 spacecraft was being prepared for launch at a satellite processing building several miles from the pad, which had been repaired after a solid-fuel rocket motor accidentally ignited and started bouncing around wildly in an enclosed room a few years earlier.

In January 1995, a Long March 2E rocket carrying a Hughes Apstar satellite exploded shortly after launch from Xichang. According to Campbell, horror stories from contractors who had witnessed the explosion prompted Intelsat and Loral managers to forbid employees from watching the liftoff from the roof of the hotel, which, along with a large residential area for Chinese employees of the center, was just three miles from the launch pad, and not far off the rocket’s flight path.

On the eve of the Intelsat-708 launch—scheduled for 2:51 a.m. on February 15, 1996—all personnel and guests at the hotel were ordered by Loral to go to the satellite preparation building, located south of the rocket’s expected flight path and separated from the launch pad by steep mountains. Several young local women from the hotel staff, exhausted by a long workday, pleaded to be allowed to stay behind to catch up on sleep, but Loral managers were unyielding—a decision that may have saved the workers’ lives.

quote:

The rocket began to rise, and the American engineers in the satellite test room ran out the door. “I got out, turned and ran around the building to my best viewing spot, in time to see the mountain lit from behind, hear the startling rumble and see the rocket emerge,” the diary reads. “But instead of rising vertically for nine seconds and several thousand feet [before starting to arc toward the east] I saw it traveling horizontally, accelerating as it progressed down the valley, only a few hundred feet off the ground. ‘Wrong way!’ I yelled, and for the next few seconds I was frozen in my tracks.”

On the roof, Campbell and others were just as perplexed. “All of a sudden, we looked down the valley and saw this huge cruise missile flying by. Our first reaction was This is really interesting. And our next reaction was Holy poo poo, we need to get off the roof.”

After flying for 22 seconds in the direction of the hotel and residential complex, the 426-ton vehicle crashed into a hillside, most of its propellant still on board. The overstressed payload section with the satellite inside had broken off and plunged to the ground moments earlier.

The diary continues: “It arced toward the earth and I thought I knew what was coming, but the instant of horror that is burned into memory was not anticipated. A tremendous light turned 3 a.m. into noon. Every tree on the hillside was clear as a knife edge, and the sky reflected a weird glow, a color I can not describe…. Many things happened at once. I heard the biggest explosion of my life, I turned and started to run. I saw a friend’s face contorted in Oh poo poo! I heard a smaller and then a larger boom, I left the ground, I was on the ground, scrambling, wondering why I was down there…. I heard glass breaking and poo poo was flying everywhere.”

The rocket hit directly into a nearby village, destroying it. China's report says that only 6 people were killed. Other estimates put the number at 200-500. The population of he village was somewhere around 1000 and while China says they were all evacuated eyewitnesses reported flatbed trucks loaded with human remains.

quote:

Campbell and his friend entered their hotel. Practically every door, window, and piece of furniture was destroyed. Air conditioners were hanging by their wires, toilets were thrown into the hallways, and covers of an underground sewage system pierced the floor. Peculiarly, a clock in the lobby was still hanging, stopped at around 3 a.m.

“There were holes in the walls,” Campbell recalls. “In my room, fragments from the rocket were embedded into the backboard of my bed. Anybody who had left their belongings in the hotel would later discover that pieces of cloth had been thrown out the window, only to be sucked into different rooms by the backward-rushing wind that followed immediately after the explosion. Those careless enough to leave their possessions behind found them littering the corridors, the roof, and the courtyard.

Outside, trees were snapped in half or completely uprooted. In a little park in front of the hotel, a monument to ancient Chinese rocketry had been blown off its pedestal.

What Campbell and his friend did not see were human casualties. At the time they reached the residential area, hundreds of Chinese soldiers and military vehicles were flooding the area, and the Americans suspected that one of the their main tasks was to remove bodies. Eyewitnesses in Xichang would later describe many flatbed trucks carrying what appeared to be covered human remains to the military base and hospitals in the town, along with dozens of ambulances.

The full story: http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/disaster-at-xichang-2873673/?no-ist

Zero One has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Aug 14, 2015

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
The Yanango accident (:nms: for medical images later in the pdf) is the one that I've literally had nightmares about. So, you're welding pipe on a worksite and notice this bit of cable lying around:

Odd. Might be part of someone's equipment? Maybe you'll ask around later, but for now you shove it into your back pocket and get back to work. No big deal, right? Ha ha, wrong! You are now walking around with one buttcheek nestled cozily next to a naked 1.37 Terabecquerel industrial radiography source! A radiography source that's usually transported in a container that includes 35kg of depleted uranium shielding! Enjoy the remaining time you have with your blood lymphocytes...and your leg!

The SI unit for absorbed radiation dose is the Gray (Gy). Wikipedia lists the average dose from an abdominal x-ray as 0.7 mGy. Estimated dose to our unlucky welder by the time he took his jeans off that evening: ~10,000 Gy for the area of skin closest to the source, falling off rapidly to a "mere" 23 Gy in the gonads. From a random-looking length of cable you wouldn't give a second thought to if you found it in an old coffee can in your dad's garage.

Prof. Moriarty
Dec 6, 2003
Not the regular Professor Moriarty, the hologram Professor Moriarty where the holodeck malfunctioned and he created the whole fake hologram enterprise and fooled the Captain. Oh, and he tried to escape with his girlfriend once, but he was foiled.
That is sheer insanity. Radiation and rabies are two of my biggest fears in life because of their capacities to lurk unnoticed until it's way too late to save an afflicted person. And they can both be found in the unlikeliest, most innocuous of sources, so it can be hard to reliably protect yourself from the dangers. Rabies can be airborne, for god's sake!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, that Tampa story is so good, I'm using a text-to-speech program just so I can keep 'reading' while at work.

EDIT: Ugh, 'NaturalReader' is anything but. Any recommendations on TTS programs that are free?

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Aug 14, 2015

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

In a lighter tone, instead of losing limbs to radiation, or serial killers, or explosions, let's talk about the Mandela Effect, and in particular: a specific instance that is hitting the internet lately.

The Mandela Effect was first characterized by a group of people who all remembered hearing about Nelson Mandela dying in prison. Obviously that's incorrect since we know he died in 2013. The interesting thing, though, is that there were several people all independently incorrectly recalling his death.

How we get to today: do you remember the series of children's books about the family of bears: Mother, Father, Sister, and Brother Bear who lived in a tree and taught you about things like working mothers, not talking to strangers, having too much birthday fun, and not being a greedy little poo poo?

The series was named after the authors. What was the name?

The BerenstAin Bears

Did you remember it correctly? I sure as hell thought it was The Berenstein Bears

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

In a lighter tone, instead of losing limbs to radiation, or serial killers, or explosions, let's talk about the Mandela Effect, and in particular: a specific instance that is hitting the internet lately.

The Mandela Effect was first characterized by a group of people who all remembered hearing about Nelson Mandela dying in prison. Obviously that's incorrect since we know he died in 2013. The interesting thing, though, is that there were several people all independently incorrectly recalling his death.

How we get to today: do you remember the series of children's books about the family of bears: Mother, Father, Sister, and Brother Bear who lived in a tree and taught you about things like working mothers, not talking to strangers, having too much birthday fun, and not being a greedy little poo poo?

The series was named after the authors. What was the name?

The BerenstAin Bears

Did you remember it correctly? I sure as hell thought it was The Berenstein Bears

I always thought it was the second as well. :shrug:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bernstein is a normal name. People hear it all the time. Why is it weird to assume some fictional name of a book you read 20+ years ago would use the correct spelling instead of some weird spelling that no one uses?

Like Donkey Kong 2: Diddy's Kong Quest. People usually remember it as Donkey Kong 2: Diddy Kong's Quest because that makes sense. The correct name is a pun that unless you remember exactly wouldn't make much sense.

RCarr has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Aug 14, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RCarr posted:

Bernstein is a normal name. People hear it all the time. Why is it weird to assume some fictional name of a book you read 20+ years ago would use the correct spelling instead of some weird spelling that no one uses?

But it's not a fictional name, that was the point. That's the last name of the authors.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Nth Doctor posted:

The BerenstAin Bears

RCarr posted:

Like Donkey Kong 2: Diddy's Kong Quest.

gently caress.

The idea that its alternate realities is totally wackadoo and lolworthy, the fact that our memories can just gently caress with us and just fill in the blanks like that is offputting enough.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Well I meant it was the name of fictional bears in a children's story. I don't think there's anything weird about assuming the name was spelled in the usual fashion. Especially since most people haven't seen the correct name in 20 years or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I remember it the second way, in fact I even remember them singing it that way in the theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjXiIZYsGJY

NOPE!