Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

MikeJF posted:

I mean, our cities are basically in a perpetual parking crisis. They did deal with it...

This is why you never wish upon the Monkey's Paw :arghfist:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Houston in the '80s :stare:

It's better now but still, yeesh:

Houston's dedication to stop black people from moving in to the city centre is praiseworthy

Scorched earth white flight

Roy fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Aug 9, 2015

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Houston is the largest city in the United States with no zoning restrictions.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I would pay to see a movie set in the 80s car park wastelands of Houston.

A kind of pre-apocalyptic Mad Max type of film.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Accretionist posted:

Did it take Houston until the 90s to unlock the secret of multistory car parks or something?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Did it take Houston until the 90s to unlock the secret of multistory car parks or something?

You don't put in parking lots because you need parking. You knock down whatever building was there before because it's abandoned and you're too lazy to build anything else. That's why most american cities are full of the goddamn things.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Peanut President posted:

You don't put in parking lots because you need parking. You knock down whatever building was there before because it's abandoned and you're too lazy to build anything else. That's why most american cities are full of the goddamn things.

Plus it's a win-win for the local government. You don't really have to spend anything to make one, and no-one's going to say "We have TOO MUCH parking in the middle of the city".

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
What I'd like to know is why my downtown has so many drive-thru banks.

And man, looking through historical photos? It's unbelievable how much they tore down for urban renewal. It's like, "Hey, that library is gorgeous and will stand proud for centuries but I saw a homeless man jerking off in the alley behind it once so it's got to go."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, it's funny to realize that the gaps in the Main Street USA where there are parking lots weren't always gaps, but just demolished buildings.

It's too bad that the parking ends up being very valuable to the adjacent businesses, so the spaces only gets filled up when land values go way up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Collateral Damage posted:

This looks like Sim City when you've just zoned a commercial area and you only have mom and pop shops and parking lots yet.

Houston is basically a 10 year old playing sim city who hasn't figure out gow to lay a subway system yet.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Accretionist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUj3P72gzWo

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Proposition Joe posted:

However, some people want to preserve it. Others want to put some lipstick on this pig.

Dear Lord.

That makes it *worse*. Do the people coming up with this stuff even have eyes?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Makes me picture late 19th century greenhouses and also people who think angles are futuristic

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

C.M. Kruger posted:

It's the next level of spite house technology.

Spite houses own and everyone in the thread should read up on them. Sometimes the person that built them were justified, other times they were just huge assholes. But the buildings are great examples of architectural dick moves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spite_house

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
See also "nail house", the phenomenon responsible for those pictures from China of houses in the middle of highways and construction sites.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Is downtown Houston really that tiny? I'm kinda surprised actually.

Houston has like three separate 'downtown' areas because they keep abandoning the old ones and moving elsewhere. Houston is nuts.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

It is a common thing in western states. Arizona is a loving wasteland of suburbs and parking lots. It is worse than hell here.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
By the way, if urban renewal's got you down, Troy, NY's downtown kept most of its 19th and mid-20th century architecture intact and is fun to look at in Google maps.

To save you some clicking, this is the historic downtown's footprint:

It's a small city but dang if that comparative lack of drive-thru banks and parking lots isn't nice to see. :smith:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Dear Lord.

That makes it *worse*. Do the people coming up with this stuff even have eyes?

It might look ok from eye level?

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
I don't think I'm the only European who gets creeped out by aerial photography of US cities.
It all looks so unnatural and unsustainable.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Default Settings posted:

I don't think I'm the only European who gets creeped out by aerial photography of US cities.

Zoom out, and it will reveal its eerily bacterial patterning.

Seriously though if American cities don't undergo a massive transformation in the next century their ungovernability and ecological sprawl will start to catch up with us in so many embarrassing ways as our infrastructure really starts to crumble. LOL ur suburb has no water anymore.

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
Do you pronounce Houston as "Howston" or "Hooston"? I'm asking for a friend.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

goomsnarr posted:

neither

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

goomsnarr posted:

Neither. It's "Hyoostun"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

goomsnarr posted:

Do you live in new york?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Accretionist posted:

What are they going to do when there are only self driving cars and no need for parking spots?

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Picayune posted:

Houston has like three separate 'downtown' areas because they keep abandoning the old ones and moving elsewhere. Houston is nuts.
I may be european but I can still appreciate the wonderful insanity of that.

A libertarian utopia, only for the brave.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
This garage was made so poorly it really CRASHED the party!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0I0fDGJfPY

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Yaos posted:

What are they going to do when there are only self driving cars and no need for parking spots?

I'm pretty sure Houstonians (Houstonites?) define their day to day existence by the endless and enraging commutes they take every day so a switch to self driving cars would destroy the city.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Yaos posted:

Trees, I hope. The closer cityscape looks to forest, the better.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Default Settings posted:

That's because it is. America used to be much more sensible before the "American Dream" was made up and everyone decided that infinite suburbs and roadways was the only way to live. Just like everything Americans do, it is very short-sighted, unsustainable, and unhealthy, and will end in disaster.

Accretionist posted:

The closer cityscape looks to forest, the better.
I agree completely.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Yaos posted:

This garage was made so poorly it really CRASHED the party!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0I0fDGJfPY

I think that's more of a "way more roof weight than a state without snow has to build for" problem than a "bad construction" problem

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

goomsnarr posted:

YouTube fails me, so just pretend I posted a video of General Zod from Superman II saying "Hooston".

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Kakairo posted:

YouTube fails me, so just pretend I posted a video of General Zod from Superman II saying "Hooston".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTSVOnhLtCs

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

The Skeleton King posted:

America used to be much more sensible before the "American Dream" was made up and everyone decided that infinite suburbs and roadways was the only way to live. Just like everything Americans do, it is very short-sighted, unsustainable, and unhealthy, and will end in disaster.

lol

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

I just spent way too long trying, unsuccessfully, to find a video of Ann Richards saying "Houston."

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009
When you look at satellite images of a city like Houston (or any larger US city, really) you see miles upon miles of the same type of suburbs. I find that oddly disturbing and I cannot look away.

It's also weirdly paradoxical, considering that the US puts so much value on individualism and freedom but then most people live in, for all intends and purposes, copies of the same house and are so very dependent on their cars. It's such a waste of space and resources.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

saucerman posted:

When you look at satellite images of a city like Houston (or any larger US city, really) you see miles upon miles of the same type of suburbs. I find that oddly disturbing and I cannot look away.

It's also weirdly paradoxical, considering that the US puts so much value on individualism and freedom but then most people live in, for all intends and purposes, copies of the same house and are so very dependent on their cars. It's such a waste of space and resources.

If you like sprawl, check out Phoenix or Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs somehow managed to be 100% suburbs due to the large military presence in the area, with almost no high density residencies and a footprint the size of cities many, many times its population.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Fasdar posted:

If you like sprawl, check out Phoenix or Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs somehow managed to be 100% suburbs due to the large military presence in the area, with almost no high density residencies and a footprint the size of cities many, many times its population.

I live in Phoenix. Downtown is like 3 blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I loathe driving so suburbs are the worst invention in human history to me.

• Locked thread