Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Oliver Reed posted:

I'm looking for novels that deal with poor, uneducated or otherwise 'underclass' people--stuff about those stuck at the lowest rung of the social ladder. I find I read a lot of books with highly educated/wealthy/etc. protagonists and I want something different; something about people who don't have much power or money or knowledge at all.

Knockemstiff by Donald Ray Pollock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Oliver Reed posted:

I'm looking for novels that deal with poor, uneducated or otherwise 'underclass' people--stuff about those stuck at the lowest rung of the social ladder. I find I read a lot of books with highly educated/wealthy/etc. protagonists and I want something different; something about people who don't have much power or money or knowledge at all.
There's a lot of examples but when I read this post the name that immediately came to mind was Hubert Selby Jr., he's good with the New York slums vibes. Maybe see how Last Exit to Brooklyn treats you?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
If I were to only ever read one Neil Gaiman book (short stories or novel; not comics), what should I read?

I've already read Coraline, which was a fun kids book.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

If I were to only ever read one Neil Gaiman book (short stories or novel; not comics), what should I read?

If you must read one, read American Gods.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
The great thing about Gaiman is, once you've read one of his novels, you've read them all!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd say Smoke and Mirrors. Lots of different styles in that one.

edit: VVV To be fair the explanation of that name is kind of funny, especially if you're treating it as a supercoolfantasynickname.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 5, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

American Gods really bored me, and the main character's name is Shadow.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Time Cowboy posted:

The great thing about Gaiman is, once you've read one of his novels, you've read them all!
That must be why I only read the one...

Any top tier historical fiction name recs that I might be missing out on? Finished up and adored all the Robert Graves (Count Belisarius is really overlooked and pretty awesome) and Mary Renault. Colleen McCullough and Robert Harris didn't really click, seemed a tier below. I'm not talking like Shaara stuff. Or Pressfield.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Any top tier historical fiction name recs that I might be missing out on? Finished up and adored all the Robert Graves (Count Belisarius is really overlooked and pretty awesome) and Mary Renault. Colleen McCullough and Robert Harris didn't really click, seemed a tier below. I'm not talking like Shaara stuff. Or Pressfield.

I remember really liked Augustus by John Williams and The Conspiracy by John Hershey, both of which are about Roman emperors.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

Good Omens

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Good King Harry by Denise Giardina is very, very good. It's about Henry V.

Allan Massie's Emperor series is awesome. They're very much like Graves' Claudius books, same memoir style & level of quality writing, and they cover all the top Roman rulers from Julius Caeser to Domition. They actually work really well being read along with the two Graves Claudius books, as his reign is the only one Massie doesn't cover.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pork Pie Hat posted:

If you must read one, read American Gods.
ye, agreed

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Smoke and Mirrors.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
A couple pages ago someone asked for recommendations about books on cryptozoology. I don't know of any so I'll ask here, too. I want to read from a non-moronic perspective about people going hysterical over modern dinosaurs and secret apes and rods and other fake poo poo.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

A couple pages ago someone asked for recommendations about books on cryptozoology. I don't know of any so I'll ask here, too. I want to read from a non-moronic perspective about people going hysterical over modern dinosaurs and secret apes and rods and other fake poo poo.

no idea what your post is about but theres an animorphs book in which they go back in time to the land of the dinosaurs and the dinosaurs are a technologically based alien society or something. Animorphs are awesome

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished with The Expanse as it is so far and I'm looking for more spaceships and space exploration and aliens. Any recommendations?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Reason posted:

Just finished with The Expanse as it is so far and I'm looking for more spaceships and space exploration and aliens. Any recommendations?

Gary Gibson's Shoal Sequence is good for all that.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Reading The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu (as I mentioned in another thread) and I'm wondering -

Is there any other cool/good fantasy or sci-fi that's eastern based, rather than western? Where the fantasy worldbuilding stuff (or the BRIGHT TECHNOFUTURE) is more rooted in SE Asian culture and storytelling patterns rather than European. Preferably written by an Asian author, but whatever. I do want something that's available in English, but yeah.

Short stories/novellas/comics/anything else are cool, too. Even just writers to look into?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Reading The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu (as I mentioned in another thread) and I'm wondering -

Is there any other cool/good fantasy or sci-fi that's eastern based, rather than western? Where the fantasy worldbuilding stuff (or the BRIGHT TECHNOFUTURE) is more rooted in SE Asian culture and storytelling patterns rather than European. Preferably written by an Asian author, but whatever. I do want something that's available in English, but yeah.

Short stories/novellas/comics/anything else are cool, too. Even just writers to look into?

Viz has a book publishing arm called Haika Soru which translates and publishes Japanese SF for the American audience. Some of it is videogame novelizations and the like, but they do also do plain SF; I personally liked The Stories Of Ibis quite a bit.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Picayune posted:

Viz has a book publishing arm called Haika Soru which translates and publishes Japanese SF for the American audience.

This boggled my mind for a few moments, until I realised that it's a very different Viz than the one I was thinking of.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 8, 2015

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

anything like battle royale and like also easy to read because i have the brain of child preferably something i can get on my kindle to

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Franchescanado posted:

I guess I'll differ from the crowd and say Gaiman is one of my favorites. I greatly enjoyed The Ocean at the End of the Lane and I also think Neverwhere is fun. Tbh American Gods is my least favorite. (Smoke and Mirrors is great as others have said.)

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

social vegan posted:

anything like battle royale and like also easy to read because i have the brain of child preferably something i can get on my kindle to

The Hunger Games trilogy.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Reason posted:

Iain M Banks Culture novels would be pretty good for this if you haven't read em, considering they're the best books ever. Start with Consider Phlebas.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I understand that this is comically vague, but - is there any good fantasy or sci-fi books that are just really loving beautifully written? I mean like Guy Gavriel Kay or Le Guin on a good day. Stuff that makes you pause on a sentence and just marvel at how great it is. I have a lot of love for Lions of Al-Rassan and A Wizard of Earthsea, and wish I could find books in the genre that are as evocative.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rollofthedice posted:

I understand that this is comically vague, but - is there any good fantasy or sci-fi books that are just really loving beautifully written? I mean like Guy Gavriel Kay or Le Guin on a good day. Stuff that makes you pause on a sentence and just marvel at how great it is. I have a lot of love for Lions of Al-Rassan and A Wizard of Earthsea, and wish I could find books in the genre that are as evocative.

Gene Wolfe. Give The Book of the New Sun series (first book: The Shadow of the Torturer) a try.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Rollofthedice posted:

Catherynne Valente's The Orphan's Tales and/or Deathless.

Maybe some Patricia McKillip? Winter Rose won me over for not mentioning locations, but somehow feeling distinctly northeastern US countryside (I only checked afterwards to confirm that she lived in New York at the time), so her writing is definitely evocative, if not as lyrical as Valente.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 22, 2016

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Also, what's the S&M fantasy series set in ahistorical not-Europe? It sharply divides goons, but I thought it was well written.

E: for Rollofthedice's post

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Rollofthedice posted:

I'm iffy on the books as a whole but there are some absolutely beautiful moments of writing in TH White's The Once and Future King.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Rollofthedice posted:

The Quantum Thief trilogy is exactly what you're looking for. It has big, amazingly realized ideas and some of the most beautiful prose I've ever read. Go read the excerpt for first book.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rollofthedice posted:

Check out The King of Elfland's Daughter.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Loving Life Partner posted:

The Quantum Thief trilogy is exactly what you're looking for. It has big, amazingly realized ideas and some of the most beautiful prose I've ever read. Go read the excerpt for first book.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I was scrolling down. Beautifully written with fantastic sf ideas.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

The Quantum Thief trilogy may work for you as well, particularly the second book which is based off of (or simply borrows from) Arabian Nights.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'll try and take a look at all of them.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Another voice recommending the Quantum Thief Trilogy, absolutely could not put those books down.

Edit: Also, Iain M Banks fits the role here as well.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Also, what's the S&M fantasy series set in ahistorical not-Europe? It sharply divides goons, but I thought it was well written.

E: for Rollofthedice's post

Kushiel's Dart (and the following books)? I remember liking the first one well enough, but never followed it up with any of the others.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

a kitten posted:

Kushiel's Dart (and the following books)? I remember liking the first one well enough, but never followed it up with any of the others.

Yep, that's it. Apologies in advance for the shitstorm detail that will likely follow.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I'm trying to remember if The Windup Girl would fit. Not sure if it's just the setting that I'm remembering.

Read it, and it's ... okay, but a little - objectifying/fetishizing of the culture, almost? I don't know, the main character is a white dude who has a thing for a prostitute GMO robot girl who can't sweat or whatever and it's kind of. Ehhh. There were a ton of cool ideas and decent prose in it but the weird-rear end treatment of the female lead was frustrating.

Picayune posted:

Viz has a book publishing arm called Haika Soru which translates and publishes Japanese SF for the American audience. Some of it is videogame novelizations and the like, but they do also do plain SF; I personally liked The Stories Of Ibis quite a bit.

Oh, cool! This is rad, thanks for the link. I'll check out that book you linked and nose around in here a bit.

And Quantum Thief sounds really neat as well.

Edit: Also, tried asking this in the chat thread, but I'll throw it in here: what's a good translation of the Water Margin, preferably available as an ebook?

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
The husband is looking for a new fantasy book. He just finished The New Law Trilogy. He loves the Kingkiller trilogy, the Dresden files and the Lies of Locke Lamora books. Any suggestions? The Magicians maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

A human heart posted:

Check out The King of Elfland's Daughter.

Well, anything by Dunsany.

Mary Gentle's Golden Witchbreed is beautiful writing.