Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wookieepelt posted:

The article says it's in a protective case. That's not the real look of the thing.

I found this amusing (if true)

quote:

Update2 : We have been able to confirm that this case is actually more than that. It is meant to hide the final design of the phone and ID anyone who uses it publicly. Specifically:

It is meant to hide the real shape of the phone and prevent leaks about the final design, mainly the back part

It cannot be removed from the engineering sample

To track leakers, the case has identifying information including: shape of the case (number of stripes, space between stripes); upper/lower cases for letters: there is a sort of binary code: MicRoSoft MObIle, MICrosOfT mObILE, etc.; The phone is ugly with this 'special' case and the shape hurts your hand when you hold it

All of these things about the case are meant to distract people from using the prototypes in public. This also means the owner of that phone is likely in a meeting right now and about to get fired.

I recall being in line next to a guy using a Lumia 920 about 3 months before the Windows Phone 8 launch, he got really sheepish when I asked about his phone.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
he didnt want anybody knowing he was a windows phone user

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The Windows Phone Thread: We don't want anyone to know we use Windows Phone

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The photos don't really show anything useful, unfortunately, other than there is a thing there with a new USB port on it.

At any rate the 635 continues to be frustrating trash, so I will probably buy this. Even if Windows Mobile dies off, I'll have a couple of years of top-tier hardware.

I'm kinda sick of playing Microsoft Bingo and having my phone both get super hot, and the battery drain even while plugged in.

Bingo.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What differences did you notice?

Being able to actually dim the screen (as of Denim, I think?) is a big deal for me. Really stupid that HTC never got to add that, and worse that it's a "feature" you have to dig through menus to find. Wider screen makes for a better experience overall with the keyboard and live tiles. I like being able to toggle the system buttons in software. Haven't messed around with the Nokia-exclusive apps yet, but I'm happy to have access to them.

And I can send/receive MMS now, but that's been more of a carrier issue.

Ultimately everything that's different is, for my use, an improvement. I'm happy with it, especially for the price!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I've found the Nokia apps to be surprisingly good. HERE maps and nav in particular, though Microsoft just sold that part of the Nokia acquisition to a bunch of auto companies.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Ynglaur posted:

I've found the Nokia apps to be surprisingly good. HERE maps and nav in particular, though Microsoft just sold that part of the Nokia acquisition to a bunch of auto companies.

Nokia sold it. Microsoft didn't own HERE. Nokia itself still owned it and they just sold it off.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

Nokia sold it. Microsoft didn't own HERE. Nokia itself still owned it and they just sold it off.

Oh, I didn't realize that. Thanks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How is the current build of Windows 10 for mobile? Now that I have it on desktop I'm curious to see how everything scales on a smaller screen. As long as nothing is egregiously broken I'll probably not mind the bugs.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How is the current build of Windows 10 for mobile? Now that I have it on desktop I'm curious to see how everything scales on a smaller screen. As long as nothing is egregiously broken I'll probably not mind the bugs.

Its no one near Windows 10 on desktop. I'd strongly avoid it on a phone you need daily.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

c0burn posted:

Its no one near Windows 10 on desktop. I'd strongly avoid it on a phone you need daily.

It's not that bad. I've had it on my 930 as a daily driver since 10166 came out. No major show stoppers but a lot of annoyances.

Music app is much faster but the design is too hamburger reliant and doesn't work with Zune/xbox pass yet. Here is an album comparing the current windows 10 Groove client with the android version: http://imgur.com/a/I40GP. The android version hasn't had a UI redesign. I'm not against the hamburger menu as it was initially described (for infrequently used toggles and selections), but currently in the music client EVERYTHING is under the hamburger. There also no swiping for navigation whatsoever. Surely the more used features (such as switching between artist, album and song views) can still be under a pivot or panorama control? Maybe even have the hamburger slide out at the extreme left of the pivot control if that make sense. As it stands, navigation is reliant on small and hard to hit touch targets rather than easier to operate swiping which is a huge deal if using this while working out or driving.

Periodically the touch screen will freeze after phone calls and requires a reboot

Battery life is worse. Be prepared to charge twice a day if you use it alot.

The swipe keyboard seems much much less accurate. It also prioritizes names of your contacts to a ridiculous degree

CalvinandHobbes fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 5, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

The next build is supposedly a lot more polished and feature complete, but there's no word on when it will be released.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

ElrondHubbard posted:

The next build is supposedly a lot more polished and feature complete, but there's no word on when it will be released.

The old dangling carrot rears its head again! I am certain they will fix some things and inexplicably remove or change others.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

looks as uncomfortable and frustrating as my attempts to talk to girls or operate a toaster
ftfy

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Both my phone and tablet have gotten themselves into a state where they are on an old insider Windows 10 build but fail to update every attempt. Full factory reset again I fear :(

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm wondering if it's worth trying Win10 on my Dell Venue 8 Pro or just moving on to new hardware. I know I should hold onto it until the new Surface generation in a couple months but a 32GB iPad Mini 2 for ~$400 isn't a total waste of money either even if I lose in-app book purchases.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Doomsday Jesus posted:

The old dangling carrot rears its head again! I am certain they will fix some things and inexplicably remove or change others.

It's a beta. Aside from inexplicably removing features / ruining ones that are already present (as Microsoft is wont to do), they really have nowhere to go but up.

The current build is pretty much hot garbage, so I'm sure the next one will be fantastic by comparison (just like this one was compared to the last one).

Shumagorath posted:

I'm wondering if it's worth trying Win10 on my Dell Venue 8 Pro or just moving on to new hardware. I know I should hold onto it until the new Surface generation in a couple months but a 32GB iPad Mini 2 for ~$400 isn't a total waste of money either even if I lose in-app book purchases.

I'm pretty sure you can get a 32 GB Mini 2 for cheaper than $400. I think you can get one refurbished from apple for about $300 or new from a few places for $350-ish.

I was looking at them a month ago, but ended up going with an iPad Air instead because I liked having extra screen real estate vs having something very compact and easy to hold / carry around.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 5, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That price was in CAD after tax but yeah a refurb's a good idea.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
More on the dial SIM functionality - you can't send txt mssgs from one SIM while you're on a call on the other. FACT.

Also srsly, vvm is so necessary.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

Mr Funkface posted:

Lumia 1520s unlocked on ATT are dirty cheap right now on Expansys.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/s.aspx?sid=74357682&search=lumia%201520&f=100001

$200 is what it will take to fix my screen. This is a good deal y'all.

Came in today but it was defective. There were two pressure marks on the screen and the touch issue was really bad. I couldn't get a 'b' or a 'j' (lol) without hitting 'v' and 'n' at the same time or 'h' and 'k'. I'm so disappointed since the phone is really awesome and the size is fantastic. I'm going to just get a 640XL for the time being. I really like windows phone after trying it for just half an hour.

e: not giving up on the 1520; this is such an awesome phone. Sending back this B-stock defective one to expansys. I just bought a new open box, refurbished one on ebay with new battery and Nokia factory warranty for $250 shipped.

Can't wait to be part of the Windows 10 Mobile evolution. I wonder if the lovely 8.1 support (not updating Onedrive, Office, etc. and these first-party apps actually running better on droid/iOS) has just been MS really pouring all their energy into WP10.

Thankfully I'm not jaded yet by WP like some of these other poor bastards I've read about on other sites that have been with it since at least WP7, since I've never even owned a smartphone before. Though I did spend some time with an Android tablet, and it was not the best, so I at least have some basis for comparison.

Basch lives! fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 8, 2015

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
My 635 (non-Go Phone) being difficult and requiring the bluetooth to be flipped on and off a few times before it/my car get the memo is just my phone being a cheap, abysmal piece of poo poo, right? Car manufacturer says it's supported, and it does work, just never automatically. My 900 never had any issues.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Tanith posted:

My 635 (non-Go Phone) being difficult and requiring the bluetooth to be flipped on and off a few times before it/my car get the memo is just my phone being a cheap, abysmal piece of poo poo, right? Car manufacturer says it's supported, and it does work, just never automatically. My 900 never had any issues.

Had the same thing happen with a 635 Go Phone taking forever to actually communicate with my car, though I haven't checked how well it connects automatically. My 640 also had a little trouble initially, but was a lot quicker about it and automatically syncs without issue now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I guess I'll wait until another build comes out before upgrading then; a guy at work was running the preview build, and having now got Windows 10 on desktop, I am seriously impressed at how they've managed to scale down a full desktop OS to mobile. There's plenty of bug fixes to be done and a few features to add, but when you see the two side by side, they've actually managed to pull off something pretty ambitious.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
The Project Astoria tools leaked, so now you can push Android APKs directly to your Windows Mobile 10 device.

This is the direct Awful.APK android app, running with no modifications, on Windows Mobile 10. It's (understandably) slow, but it does work. I'm running it on my 1520, hence the weird layout issues, but those are minor things that can be fixed easily. The startup times were sightly slower than a normal WinRT app, which is commendable.

If I only made a phone app,. I could understand being annoyed by this ("Why bother making a native version if I can just make an Android one and port it over?") but considering UWP's existence and the whole "Write once, run everywhere" mindset with WinRT apps, I'm not worried. I see what I'm doing as building a nice Desktop/Tablet app, and getting stuff like the phone version as a bonus. I want to make sure it works well there, but I don't see this as taking over the phone in so much as complementing it. In the case of Awful apps, more choice is always better, and it would reduce pressure on me to having to fix everything right away when I see it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

IANADev, so forgive me for my ignorance, but does this mean you can just grab an Android .apk, fresh off the Play Store, and run it on your Windows Phone (albeit not perfectly)?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

IANADev, so forgive me for my ignorance, but does this mean you can just grab an Android .apk, fresh off the Play Store, and run it on your Windows Phone (albeit not perfectly)?

With what was leaked, on windows mobile 10, yes. As long as it does not use Google Play Services.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm no expert, but in theory, yes. Microsoft is obviously trying it's best to bring apps to Windows Phone 10 however it can do so, and this tool is their vision. Obviously it's up to the thousands of Android (and iOS?) developers to "go for it" but I'm optimistic and so is Microsoft.

If this doesn't go over well with devs, it will end up costing them money as people will just find a pirated .apk and load it up, so in my mind if they want to make new platform money, they should embrace it.

I'd rather native WP apps be written, but if this conversion program works well, it may end up being a very good thing for the platform. At least we can (theoretically) load up the Chase mobile app, etc and have it work, since they dropped support for WP, etc.

Edit: beaten by someone much smarter than me in the dev world...I'm just a guy

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Looks really cool in my opinion, less excuses for some devs to put apps on WP10. One of them is my carrier's app wich is just a simple check your monthly data usage and call list, while you can do it from the browser, the phone app is simpler and faster. I wonder how hard would be porting some games from my humble android library to WP10.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cool, but pointless in this example, since the WP client is superior :)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Drastic Actions posted:

If I only made a phone app,. I could understand being annoyed by this ("Why bother making a native version if I can just make an Android one and port it over?") but considering UWP's existence and the whole "Write once, run everywhere" mindset with WinRT apps, I'm not worried. I see what I'm doing as building a nice Desktop/Tablet app, and getting stuff like the phone version as a bonus. I want to make sure it works well there, but I don't see this as taking over the phone in so much as complementing it. In the case of Awful apps, more choice is always better, and it would reduce pressure on me to having to fix everything right away when I see it.

hotsauce posted:

I'd rather native WP apps be written, but if this conversion program works well, it may end up being a very good thing for the platform. At least we can (theoretically) load up the Chase mobile app, etc and have it work, since they dropped support for WP, etc.

Honestly this seems like a terrible development for anyone hoping WM becomes a legit, competitive 3rd phone OS. The Windows Store is going to get even shittier, as what few developers there are making native apps will say gently caress it, might as well hop to Android and do a lazy conversion. It will be good for people currently using WM and lacking specific apps, but bad long term, ya know? What do you all think? Little different situation, of course, but it isn't like Blackberry running Android apps did anything positive to spur interest in BBOS, right?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I think the idea is that they'd write a universal Windows app to get things on desktops and tablets (can't make a market share argument against not writing one, I'm guessing is Microsoft's hope) and so a native phone app would come along for the ride.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Blackberry suffered because the apps ran like garbage, not because they were Android ports. They also marketed it as "we've got Android apps!", rather than owning it and saying "these apps belong to our system too!". Language is important and the Android link for Windows is being mentioned to developers and no-one else.

I do get the argument that it might kill development of apps specifically for Windows Phone, but from an end user standpoint it makes no difference whatsoever; all they see is Windows getting the same apps as everyone else, and that can only be good for the platform's popularity. Hell, it barely makes a difference to Microsoft; what do they care if someone codes natively or ports? They get the app on their ecosystem either way.

Windows is hurting for apps right now and getting them is much more important than the how. Will the average person know, let alone care? If the number of users grow and devs start seeing the benefits of coding a proper universal app, then that's ideal. But I don't think it's the essential component to making Windows a dominant mobile platform.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 9, 2015

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Phone posting so I don't have a link, but Ars Technica had an excellent analysis of this, and came to the conclusion that it was a net good for Microsoft, users, and developers. Universal apps are the key. Devs who only care about mobile can invest a small amount and get more market share, particularly outside the US. Devs who want to reach the tablet and laptop/desktop markets can do that more easily too.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
I'm not totally au fait with the mechanics so a somewhat ignorant question: doesn't the reliance on Project Astoria mean if that ever breaks all your Android apps break? Perhaps a little paranoid (android ha!) and fearmongery but it's not like MS has been on top of its game when it comes to ongoing support without sudden deprecation for no apparent reason.

Otherwise kinda cute I guess - it'd be nice to have a BofA app back, and to not be late to the party in the latest social phenomenon.

Fake edit: Android Wear?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Funkface posted:

I'm not totally au fait with the mechanics so a somewhat ignorant question: doesn't the reliance on Project Astoria mean if that ever breaks all your Android apps break? Perhaps a little paranoid (android ha!) and fearmongery but it's not like MS has been on top of its game when it comes to ongoing support without sudden deprecation for no apparent reason.

Otherwise kinda cute I guess - it'd be nice to have a BofA app back, and to not be late to the party in the latest social phenomenon.

Fake edit: Android Wear?

To be clear, your question appears to be "if the framework allowing Android apps to run on Windows breaks, do Android apps stop running correctly on Windows", right? If so, well, I guess that's true, but if the framework allowing Windows apps to run on Windows breaks, those stop running too, and that hasn't happened yet :shrug:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm a little confused by one thing. You have project Astoria to port Android Apps, but it has a chance of breaking due to play services.
On the other hand you have another translation programme which translates IOS apps without the breaking warning. Why not just focus on IOS apps and completely ignore android?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

I'm a little confused by one thing. You have project Astoria to port Android Apps, but it has a chance of breaking due to play services.
On the other hand you have another translation programme which translates IOS apps without the breaking warning. Why not just focus on IOS apps and completely ignore android?

As I understand it, this thing is just a quick fix to make an APK run on Windows. The porting tools to turn iOS apps into universal apps also exist for Android (but are not finished yet); those just take more programming effort to actually make them work (although theoretically still not much). The APK hack is just the :effort: solution and not the one they're generally encouraging people to use.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Darth TNT posted:

Normal users would never side load apps like this sort. They would download the apps directly from the store, which should always work.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

loquacius posted:

To be clear, your question appears to be "if the framework allowing Android apps to run on Windows breaks, do Android apps stop running correctly on Windows", right? If so, well, I guess that's true, but if the framework allowing Windows apps to run on Windows breaks, those stop running too, and that hasn't happened yet :shrug:

I guess not, but there is a history of Google loving Microsoft's access to Google services for shits and giggles - now there's an actual impediment as well as MS being it's own worst enemy. I'd be surprised if Google will condone Android apps being the saviour of WPhone.

Edit: what could Google do to cockblock this Astoria manoeuvre?

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Mr Funkface posted:

I guess not, but there is a history of Google loving Microsoft's access to Google services for shits and giggles - now there's an actual impediment as well as MS being it's own worst enemy. I'd be surprised if Google will condone Android apps being the saviour of WPhone.

Edit: what could Google do to cockblock this Astoria manoeuvre?

AFAIK it's not any different to Google than forked android, so probably just move more things under Google Play services than ever.