Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Sharmat posted:

I was running the game off a half a terabyte thumb drive as a poor man's solid state drive. Improved my load times. Unfortunately it used the FAT32 file system, and not NTSF. Which meant that the maximum file size that could be copied to it at a time was 4 gb. Streaming.cache is 6 gb.

Oh man don't even talk to me about FAT32. Spent an hour trying to play a movie off of my mother's macbook air and hook it up to the TV a few days ago. Walked away thinking "gently caress macs, gently caress their inability to write to NTSF drives, gently caress HDMI adapter cables and especially gently caress FAT32 4 gb write limits."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

BitterAvatar posted:

Were achievements supposed to be fixed on PC with 1.08? Mine have not updated like they should.

They're fixed. But not retroactively. If you completed one prior to the fix, you'll have to complete it again.

Exception: achievements with running tallies (find x number of things or do thing y times) will fire whenever you increase that tally again.

Also I think the gwent achievements are still broken. I think I completed the gwent card collection but it gave me the Gwent Tournament achievement instead. I would love to know how they managed to bork achievements so badly. It's almost impressive.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Is it worth it to put armor piercing on silver? Outside of Wild Hunt dudes, do monsters have armor?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There's supposedly notes about new dialogue to be added later added to the game files with this patch. But I have no idea whether to take it seriously or not. Oddly, it appears to be quite a lot of new dialogue involving Yennefer, Ciri, and Triss, rather than just what you'd expect from a stand alone expansion.

Maybe something resembling an enhanced edition after all? If it doesn't turn out to be bullshit, of course.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Burns posted:

Is anyone running the game on Windows 10? How is it?

Running on a just-below-spec CPU with a 760 GPU, I can now turn up all the graphics sliders a lot further without getting framerate drops.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Uh I just got to Novigrad and thought wait... I've been to this city. Called over my wife and she agreed, turns out it's very closely based on Gdansk which we visited in June. Really cool!

Edit for windows 10 - old rear end gtx 470 but now the frame rate is definitely higher, like I might even bump up some settings a bit more.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 8, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Uh I just got to Novigrad and thought wait... I've been to this city. Called over my wife and she agreed, turns out it's very closely based on Gdansk which we visited in June. Really cool!

Edit for windows 10 - old rear end gtx 470 but now the frame rate is definitely higher, like I might even bump up some settings a bit more.

Yeah, that building on the right is where you meet Hattori for the beginning of "Of Swords and Dumplings"

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

JetsGuy posted:

What could they do to improve the graphics on PS4? I've noticed no issues since I started and that was like 1.03

The draw distance seems better especially around Skellige where I can see the lights from towns from far away.
I'm noticing shadows a lot more especially from Sirens and maybe some other lighting improvements.
Maybe it was always like that and I've only just noticed.

It looks like the bug where your boat turns into a bright glowing lantern has been fixed and the rain that turns into gigantic 2d squares. I don't get the blurry loading thing as often in Novigrad now.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Snak posted:

Yeah, that building on the right is where you meet Hattori for the beginning of "Of Swords and Dumplings"
Go under that building in the game and look up - see those two human-sized hamster wheels? They're exactly what they look like - people would be running in them to provide "power" to this medieval crane that would unload ships and the mechanism in the game has been based on reality.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

code:
Fixes an issue where Zoltan's card was unobtainable.
FYI, the card now can be found near the Hanged Man's tree, even if you looted the place before.
Patch 1.08, best patch!
I am now the 1.4%. :feelsgood:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Poolparty posted:

The draw distance seems better especially around Skellige where I can see the lights from towns from far away.
I'm noticing shadows a lot more especially from Sirens and maybe some other lighting improvements.
Maybe it was always like that and I've only just noticed.

It looks like the bug where your boat turns into a bright glowing lantern has been fixed and the rain that turns into gigantic 2d squares. I don't get the blurry loading thing as often in Novigrad now.

Ah ok, cool. Reasonable requests. I guess I just instinctively expect someone to talk (wrongly) about wanting >1080p res on a console and I was just ready to post about pixel sizes. :v:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I keep clicking PLAY in my steam library but the game doesn't launch. It won't launch with a desktop short cut either. I've validated the integrity of the files too and nothing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

right arm posted:

my game is still broken but

I still love it

Did you gently caress up the dialogue choice (no pun intended)? I'm pretty sure I went through every option there, including the genitals, and he reluctantly agreed to look at them. I think there was actually something relevant to be seen, off camera anyway.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

eXXon posted:

Did you gently caress up the dialogue choice (no pun intended)? I'm pretty sure I went through every option there, including the genitals, and he reluctantly agreed to look at them. I think there was actually something relevant to be seen, off camera anyway.

The dwarf has gonorrhea

Plastics
Aug 7, 2015
So how does the Witcher 3 play compared to the first one in gameplay? I like the story and Setting a LOT of the first game but the fighting is really awkward. I have not played the second game yet. Is it much better?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Plastics posted:

So how does the Witcher 3 play compared to the first one in gameplay? I like the story and Setting a LOT of the first game but the fighting is really awkward. I have not played the second game yet. Is it much better?

Vastly. The first is notoriously average in its gameplay. Dialogue and story is also a lot better in the second, and better still in the third.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I started Witcher 3 on reccomended difficulty and about three hours in realised it was a whitewash, such that you have to ramp it up so that the oils/potions your craft are essential to your survival. So at higher levels the combat is great because you have to time your dodges well and utilise everything at your disposal, preparing for fights etc. So yeah. Play on hardest / second hardest difficulty and it works.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress you devs add new game +!!!!!!

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Its the same problem one faces in Dragon Age: Inquisition - the skills and builds are meaningless unless you play on the hardest difficulty settings, because whatever you do at easy levels you're going to win every battle and despite the great story it kind of defeats the purpose of playing a game. And this is talking as an idiot baby with no central nervous system

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

o.m. 94 posted:

Its the same problem one faces in Dragon Age: Inquisition - the skills and builds are meaningless unless you play on the hardest difficulty settings, because whatever you do at easy levels you're going to win every battle and despite the great story it kind of defeats the purpose of playing a game. And this is talking as an idiot baby with no central nervous system

lol i die all the time on 2nd to bottom. mind you i also didn't get swallow until i was most of the way through the bloody baron

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

420 Gank Mid posted:

The dwarf has gonorrhea

Syphilis, actually. But yeah it's an important clue and I didn't even know Joachim could refuse.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I don't 'get' black blood. Why would I want to let a necrophage hurt me to do a trivial amount of damage to it?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I don't 'get' black blood. Why would I want to let a necrophage hurt me to do a trivial amount of damage to it?
Its there if you gently caress up, not as a main plan. Enhanced makes them recoil, which is where it starts to get decent, and superior just applies bleed to necrophages in the area. I don't bother until enhanced, but that knockback is really nice for mitigating follow-up attacks, imo. If you've got the +toxicity skills, why not add more damage? People here love alt-Yrden, which right now zaps people for ~100 damage while I do 900/light attack. More damage is more damage, even if you're not planning on it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FInally finished it. Definitely enjoyed it a lot and it had a lot of things going for it. More than anything the world was really cool and felt vast beyond what most games do. The story and side stuff was also generally more entertaining than the average fantasy game even if the main story lagged quite a bit in the middle.

The one thing I never got past was the gameplay. I honestly thought it was the worst of any modern game I can think of in a bunch of ways. I eventually got used to it, but I never stopped disliking it. I really hope they tweak the poo poo out of it in the sequel because for me it's the one thing keeping the game from being really great. Still, I thought it was pretty awesome despite my dislike of the core gameplay which is saying something I think. Still a very good game as a whole.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ravenfood posted:

Its there if you gently caress up, not as a main plan. Enhanced makes them recoil, which is where it starts to get decent, and superior just applies bleed to necrophages in the area. I don't bother until enhanced, but that knockback is really nice for mitigating follow-up attacks, imo. If you've got the +toxicity skills, why not add more damage? People here love alt-Yrden, which right now zaps people for ~100 damage while I do 900/light attack. More damage is more damage, even if you're not planning on it.

Alt-yrden is also great for flying enemies and for zapping wraith clones/foglets that go insubstantial on you.
That being said, yep. Witcher combat is all about maximizing your ability to hurt the other guys, ideally without getting hurt yourself. Black blood just also means that you hurt the other guys even if you get hurt as well. :black101:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

eXXon posted:

if you keep telling that dude to inspect the dwarf's peanus over and over he will get annoyed and do that thing in the screenshot

it's hilarious

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Burns posted:

Is anyone running the game on Windows 10? How is it?

I am, I've noticed no difference between this and 7, other than the Steam Overlay doesn't seem to work properly with the game anymore (at least not through the controller, I can still take screenshots with the keyboard)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

right arm posted:

if you keep telling that dude to inspect the dwarf's peanus over and over he will get annoyed and do that thing in the screenshot

it's hilarious

I'm trying to decide whether you were going for penis or peanuts

but yeah that's pretty funny; didn't find that particular line when I played the game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

FInally finished it. Definitely enjoyed it a lot and it had a lot of things going for it. More than anything the world was really cool and felt vast beyond what most games do. The story and side stuff was also generally more entertaining than the average fantasy game even if the main story lagged quite a bit in the middle.

The one thing I never got past was the gameplay. I honestly thought it was the worst of any modern game I can think of in a bunch of ways. I eventually got used to it, but I never stopped disliking it. I really hope they tweak the poo poo out of it in the sequel because for me it's the one thing keeping the game from being really great. Still, I thought it was pretty awesome despite my dislike of the core gameplay which is saying something I think. Still a very good game as a whole.

Woah how come? Worst of any modern game is pretty extreme I generally enjoy the battles and think scrounging poo poo together to make potions and bombs is really cool.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I have a few favourite movie reviewers that write for decent magazines/feature on TV here in the UK and wondered if I could find a similar type of person for video games. Then I read an old copy of a Playstation magazine which had a review by Phil Iwaniuk for The Witcher 3 and focused on the "lies" by the developers;

It's not a "true" open world game due to there being no real-time travel between areas.
Due to the levelled enemies it is "too linear".
Barren world - there's nothing but wolves to contend with when you're travelling the land outside of quests.

I'm sorta offended by it. The readers will see through it though as they done the right thing in the Game of the Year Awards last year and ditched the mag's fave, Destiny, to vote Alien: Isolation #1. Good guys. The Witcher 3 isn't flawless, there should be some criticism (why no stealth?) but there's just something about reviewers focusing on a narrative they think they're being clever with (in this case, CD Projekt RED lied - this isn't as good as Skyrim like they said it would be) that gets my goat. I don't get those three criticisms in particular. Currently in search of a reviewer who thinks The Witcher 3 is amazing & Infamous Second Son was poo poo so I can make them my official go-to reviewer pal.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
It would appear the chance to stun runestones are bugged. I got some lovely relic steel sword with three slots in it, so I slapped a burn, poison, and stun stone in it. I would argue literally 3.75/4 hits stuns humans. With whirlwind going I can easily stun an entire bandit camp. I'm like a stunlock rogue.

Speaking of potentially broken poo poo, has anyone had good luck with a Jedi build? There are all the skills in the game to play as a Jedi/Sith: force push with Aard, deflect arrows, mind control with Axii, the fast sword skills, and Igni to burn stuff.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 9, 2015

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I rescued a person in distress by the water near Fayrlund, who said he was a blacksmith in Fayrlund. But I can't find him anywhere there, they already have a blacksmith. Or is he the Blacksmith's helper? I was under the impression every person in distress could be played for Gwent cards.

Otherwise, I'm liking all the little quality of life improvements this patch has introduced. Although I had to recraft my dimeritium bombs for some reason. Probably tied to the Battle of You-know-where.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
This new patch is crashing alot on my PS4

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So far is the consensus that borderline machines see an improvement in TW3's performance from upgrading to Windows 10 but higher end ones will see no difference?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Woah how come? Worst of any modern game is pretty extreme I generally enjoy the battles and think scrounging poo poo together to make potions and bombs is really cool.

I don't even use oils or anything and this game has some of my favorite gameplay ever. The combat is so satisfying. It feels good and responsive and has the best animations for intense visceral sword fighting and magic I've seen in a while. I can't imagine not absolutely loving the gameplay. It's just as good as the rest of the game and sometimes I just wander around looking for fights because I like it so much.

I really wish they would eventually add some kind of gladiator arena/survival mode to this. It could get real crazy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To me it was just that I thought it really missed the mark in a lot of ways and I would rather play something overly simplistic, than something thats trying to do more and not doing it well. I actually really enjoyed the battles at times too, but at other times I just found them irritating. More than anything I'd say it was just way to clunky to feel good and the worst thing to me was the automatic switching of control layout between combat/exploration. Probably my biggest pet peeve is when a game trys to rip the control out of my hands and do things automatically and I felt like the TW3 does this frequently and poorly. Other games like Batman do this as well to some extent, but I think Batman does it really well by comparison and I don't really think about it when I'm playing. I also thought the whole inventory system felt super bloated and needless. Overall it's a pretty easy game most of the items/perks felt like they were just there to clutter up the UI which is already pretty unwieldy to begin with.

To me the most damning thing is that every time I switched to another game while I was playing TW3 I'd instantly think "woah I can't believe how natural it feels to control this game" and that's why I'd say it was so bad from a gameplay standpoint.

That said, it can be fun at times (from a mechanical standpoint. I thought the game was mostly a lot of fun in regards to world/story) and my dislike of the gameplay wasn't strong enough to ruin the other aspects of the game.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

The Sharmat posted:

So far is the consensus that borderline machines see an improvement in TW3's performance from upgrading to Windows 10 but higher end ones will see no difference?

Yeah, from what I've seen, Windows 10 lessens the framerate impact certain graphics options have (it appears to be the more CPU-dependent settings). I was able to turn on AA and set detail quality significantly higher.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I haven't been keeping up for a few weeks or so. What's the word on the NG+ date? And did they say already what will carry over?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So i've just started playing this properly and am still in the first Zone (for lack of a better word).

I've got a couple of questions though. How does the bomb crafting work (so i can take out those monster hives)? I get that i have to gather the materials, like herbs and poo poo, but i crafted one, used it on one of the hives and when I go into the alchemy menu it says I already have that item. Do i only have to craft it once and i have it for good?

Also, what makes the areas of interest show up? I've visited all of them but don't know what triggered them in the first place. Are they just there by default or do more show up as you periodically check notice boards and chat to npcs or something?

Oh and are there shops i can buy this crafting stuff from? Running around aimlessly hoping to come across certain ingredients is really tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Kin posted:

So i've just started playing this properly and am still in the first Zone (for lack of a better word).

I've got a couple of questions though. How does the bomb crafting work (so i can take out those monster hives)? I get that i have to gather the materials, like herbs and poo poo, but i crafted one, used it on one of the hives and when I go into the alchemy menu it says I already have that item. Do i only have to craft it once and i have it for good?

Also, what makes the areas of interest show up? I've visited all of them but don't know what triggered them in the first place. Are they just there by default or do more show up as you periodically check notice boards and chat to npcs or something?

Oh and are there shops i can buy this crafting stuff from? Running around aimlessly hoping to come across certain ingredients is really tedious.

When you use an alchemy recipe, you get a corresponding item with a set amount of charges. Using the item expends a charge. Whenever you meditate, the game takes a single alcohol item from your inventory and tops up the charges on all your alchemy items.

POIs are automatically marked on the map.

There are vendors that sell herbs and alchemy ingredients, but not monster parts - you'll have to gather those yourself.