Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
4x is naturally going to be much more at home on a computer. When you factor that most 4x games are combining area control, economies, diplomacy and a tech tree aspect, there is always going to be a huge mechanical overhead, plus it requires a very long game to fully develop out the scenario. The average game of Civ V is many hundreds of turns long. Boardgame 4x's try to get around this in a number of ways:

Through the Ages abstracts out the area control and tech trees, focussing on the economic aspects. It's still quite long and manages a very high number of turns (for a board game)
7 Wonders abstracts literally everything and makes turns very basic.
Eclipse and Clash of Cultures simplify economies and shrink the number of turns, restricting the game to a single 'age'. Eclipse keeps it interesting by focussing on warfare, and having a relatively high number of actions per turn (after about turn 3) and a small board. The techs also don't significantly transform the game, so it feels like a single 'age'. Clash of Cultures reduces the number of actions per turn to a very tight 3, and makes the board somewhat small (but not tight enough to make warfare interesting). It also ends in the Ancient Age.

I find that CoC gets the balance wrong. Warfare is very awkward due to the low unit count, slow movement and pretty random combat. The emphasis is basically on building up your empire, with just a little bit of combat to trim the ears of the leader. It also has huge amounts of downtime. I think the much lesser known Romolo O Remo does the same concept better, but it's a longer game.

The End fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Scythe looks like it's going to be a functioning 4x: the GenCon video showed off some really great mechanics that looked simple but with far-ranging effects. Everyone has viticulture-style boards that represented a limbering-up economy in front of a hex-map where you place workers/store generated resources. The tech side seems covered by upgrading your personal board; uncovering certain bits on a board bit that represents one of the game's basic actions makes that base action more effective or(for example) trigger bonuses when the player to your left uses that action, while buying mechs and putting them on the map uncovers army-wide bonuses previously hidden under the Mech model.

On the board, your dudes fight on the hex-map using purchased kemet-style cards.

Basically, it looks like it's got some really nice territory control and conflict from the "dudes on a map" genre, plus a solid economic game that rivals viticulture powering the whole thing. I'm seriously excited.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I played a game of Black Vienna back in January at a convention with the original version. I want a copy of my own, but it's out of print and really old. How do I make a print and play version of this game if I don't own my own printer?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The Supreme Court posted:

Scythe looks like it's going to be a functioning 4x: the GenCon video showed off some really great mechanics that looked simple but with far-ranging effects. Everyone has viticulture-style boards that represented a limbering-up economy in front of a hex-map where you place workers/store generated resources. The tech side seems covered by upgrading your personal board; uncovering certain bits on a board bit that represents one of the game's basic actions makes that base action more effective or(for example) trigger bonuses when the player to your left uses that action, while buying mechs and putting them on the map uncovers army-wide bonuses previously hidden under the Mech model.

On the board, your dudes fight on the hex-map using purchased kemet-style cards.

Basically, it looks like it's got some really nice territory control and conflict from the "dudes on a map" genre, plus a solid economic game that rivals viticulture powering the whole thing. I'm seriously excited.

Thank you for reminding me I need to watch the Scythe demo vid.

... ten minutes pass

Ayup, sounds like I'm backing that. In particular, based on the previous conversations, two things stand out: fixed map, and non-randomly-determined combat. Bring on the '20s mechaworld.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mojo Jojo posted:

How is Star Realms? The tiny box makes it attractive in a world where I have too many things in really big boxes.

I will be the lovely enabler. It is random as hell but my wife and I enjoy it for what it is, a random time filler.

With the expansions you are in for less than $20 and it is always in our carry on when we travel.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

More Scythe stuff

poo poo. That actually does look really cool. Gonna have to keep an eye on this one. Jamey Stegmaier is a pretty well regarded designer, right?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Can someone post some comparison pictures of the new Mage Knight stuff?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Scyther posted:

poo poo. That actually does look really cool. Gonna have to keep an eye on this one. Jamey Stegmaier is a pretty well regarded designer, right?

Yeah, viticulture is rock solid, and it sounds like Tuscany is a rare case of an expansion improving but not over-complicating a really decent game.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Let's all stop comparing Scythe to Kemet, ok? They have nothing in common via combat style. The combat is lifted straight from Rex and had nothing to do with Kemet/GoT fixed hand of combat cards, instead using a variable dial with a card to boost it, a la Rex/Dune. I guess the cards are similar to DI cards, but they're closer to leaders from Rex/Dune, the combat is not at all Kemet/GoT.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Scyther posted:

He's not actually designed much yet, but Viticulture is excellent, and he's published several high-quality games via kickstarter, so I trust that Scythe is going to be fulfilled well. And from the sound of it it's also a good game, so...

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Once Viticulture gets a reprint I'm going to be all over that.

I was after a copy of that and Tuscany the other day, but couldn't turn them up even digging through the unfriendly pile-them-high-sell-them-expensive game shop we have in Cambridge.

Given that I failed there, I ordered a copy of Forbidden Stars instead (despite feeling that £60 is an outrageous price, as despite being a well established adult my dad refuses to let me have things he deems "boring" for my birthday. Which is nice in a "parents are really weird" kind of way). It should arrive this week and then I've got boardgames lined up for both the next two weekends - the issue is that both are quite large groups and a 4-player 4 hour game just doesn't sit well in that context.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Ropes4u posted:

I will be the lovely enabler. It is random as hell but my wife and I enjoy it for what it is, a random time filler.

With the expansions you are in for less than $20 and it is always in our carry on when we travel.

Broken Loose posted:

lovely clone of a lovely clone of a lovely clone of Dominion. The only positive trait the game has is its price, but that conveniently ignores that Dominion is free to play online.

Interesting, interesting.

I haven't actually played Dominion for my sins, but that is the polar opposite of "game in a small box"

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mojo Jojo posted:

Interesting, interesting.

I haven't actually played Dominion for my sins, but that is the polar opposite of "game in a small box"

Yeah but Star Realms is the polar opposite of a good game.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The polar opposite would probably be OGRE, or less extremely so, Mage Wars, TI3, or Descent 1st Edition. I mean, Dominion is a pretty big box for a card game (especially when you get expansions going), but in the grand scheme of games it's a pretty average sized box.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Yes, but what would be a good game in a very small box then?

(You're right that Dominion is no TI3 or Cthulthu Wars, but it's still too large to take on trips)

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Funny thing about OGRE DE is that it's not a very heavy game after all's said and done. The box is just a quarter billion modules for you to throw at it and it comes with a free coffee table.

Mojo Jojo posted:

(You're right that Dominion is no TI3 or Cthulthu Wars, but it's still too large to take on trips)

Meuterer or Pax Porfiriana are both great games in tiny boxes. Fairy Tale is the best drafting game out right now unless you really want bells and whistles and it's pocket-sized. Bohnanza's box isn't too big and you can collapse the game into a dice bag if you want it to be even more portable. Same with Innovation/Race for the Galaxy, neither of which are turn-off-your-brain filler.

Andarel fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 9, 2015

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Well if you preselect the Dominion kingdom cards and put everything in a couple of deck boxes...

On a more serious note, A Fake Artist Goes to New York (AFAGtoNY) has been getting some mention recently, and it's certainly a tiny as gently caress box. I did actually get to play it recently. The rules say 5+ players, but we tried it with 4 anyway, and it.. kinda worked? People were amused, but the fake artist won every single round (we played like 5 rounds), either by not being caught or by guessing the word. I'm not sure if having one more person would have significantly changed the dynamic, it's just incredibly tricky to draw in a manner that keeps the fake artist from guessing the thing being drawn AND keeps other players from thinking you're the fake artist.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mojo Jojo posted:

Intrigue is an extremely good game in a very small box for 4-5 people. Think of it as Diplomacy in an hour.

It's a negotiation knife fight that will destroy friendships. In a good way!

Each player has 4 offices that pay different salaries per turn: 1K, 3K, 6K, and 10K. you also have 8 dudes, 2 each of 4 different types.
Your own dudes can't work in your offices. The game lasts 5 rounds.

Each player's turn, they collect income from all their dudes working in other players' offices, from the bank. Then they resolve their conflicts/hire dudes. After that, they send two of their dudes to other player(s) offices.

Conflict resolution depends on the type - internal or external. External first, then internal. External conflicts are when you have two dudes in front of you who are the same type. You can only have one of each dude type. The players who control those dudes bribe you with money and promises then you choose which one to hire and put them in the job/income you agreed upon. The other one dies.

Internal conflicts arise because I've already hired someone for my 6K job and someone comes looking for the same job. Starting with the player already in the job, we renegotiate the terms of their employment. with bribes and promises. Then the newcomer makes their case. with bribes and promises. Finally I decide who gets the job. The other one dies.

That's the entire game, and it is amazing. Also it's $18 on CSI.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 9, 2015

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mojo Jojo posted:

Sail to India rates pretty highly for "most game in the least box space".

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hanabi and Love Letter both fit nicely into the 'tiny game, big quality' box. Hanabi more so.

Paperback is very solid on that score too.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Mojo Jojo posted:

Since it was brought up, Ogre pocket.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Mojo Jojo posted:

Biblios, Agricola: Creatures Big & Small, and Jaipur.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mojo Jojo posted:

Do Love Letter, Coup, Werewolf, and The Resistance: Avalon count?

Does Hive count?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

what about a regular deck of cards? it fits in your pocket and can play a wide range of games

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mojo Jojo posted:

Flash Duel, Mundus Novus, Modern Art

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Cheers for the recommendations

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Mojo Jojo posted:

How is Star Realms? The tiny box makes it attractive in a world where I have too many things in really big boxes.

Just get the iOS version and spend your precious 'time to play games with real people' playing better games in person.

Star Realms is a super luck-dependant market row deck builder.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Poison Mushroom posted:

Does Hive count?

Seconding Hive as the ultimate travel game.

Not just because the game is pretty good, but because the bakelite tiles are the next best thing to indestructible. You're not gonna have a card get creased in a bag, or have a token roll into the crowd at an airport, or spill soda and ruin it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yomi's pretty good for travelling.

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

as the free-fall advances
I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer
Played 3012 and Galactic Strike Force last night. Impressions follow.

3012 is a deckbuilder with 3 different central markets. The 2-card action market replenishes every turn. The 3-card ally and weapon markets only get new cards when someone buys them. There are no always-available cards. Players combine allies, weapons, and actions to get enough power to defeat monsters in 4 face-down piles sorted by strength, which gains you experience. If you defeat the monster, it's added to your deck and is dead weight there, but it counts for renown at the end of the game.

I have never played Thunderstone, but all the criticisms I have heard of Thunderstone in this thread also apply to this game. You start with a hero that can equip 1 weapon. Each additional weapon needs an ally, so you must draw them together in your 4-card hand. Most weapons and allies cost at least 5, and you start with a deck that only has 4 money, so you are entirely dependent on what comes up in the Action decks. The lack of an always-available Silver type card means that you can be stuck unable to buy something that helps your deck much of the time. Other players can choose to "assist" you in defeating monsters, or can "block" you (increasing the monster's defense) using one of the 4 starting cards. Players gain experience for being on the victorious side, which means that if you are behind, the player in the lead can assist you whenever you fight, making it nearly impossible to catch up. Another factor leading to this acceleration is that starting heroes gain strength as they gain experience, so a player who is ahead can beat monsters from tougher piles. By the time we had mostly emptied out the starting monster pile, a player had reached exalted status, which ends the game. I did not find this one enjoyable.

Galactic Strike Force is a cooperative game that plays mostly like a tableau-builder, though you also build a deck. Your deck is face up, and newly acquired cards are placed on the bottom, as well as cards that get "recycled". The 3 sectors have a market of 3 stations, and the top card is always purchasable: the cards below this are not viewable. Enemy ships are also in the sectors, and any enemy ship that is not engaged attacks a station. When the stations are attacked, the top card in the station market flips over, and on the other side is either another enemy ship or a boost for the enemies. As the mission develops, mission events are added to the playfield: we discovered 1 beneficial mission event in our game, but they generally were there to hurt us. The cards we could buy were either boosts, which can be played pretty much any time that makes sense, or tech, which stays on your ship after it's played. You win by either destroying the enemy flagship or destroying all enemy ships in all sectors.

We played the Singularity scenario, which apparently was the one recommended for new people. It was a bit chaotic since by our understanding of the rules turns and effects happen simultaneously, and there was quite a bit of confusion over where some of the enemy ships and mission events ended up each turn. Our starting ships quite quickly became juggernauts due to getting all kinds of tech on them and bounties when enemies are destroyed, and we beat the scenario by destroying all ships before the enemy flagship appeared. It seemed like it was a bit too easy to get shield points, and very few ships appeared that were a credible threat. This may have been an artifact of the scenario we chose; it is very possible that other scenarios are much more difficult. It felt anticlimactic when we simply destroyed all the little ships and won. I'd be interested in giving this another go at some point with a tougher setup and a better understanding of the rules.

Udelar fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 9, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Udelar posted:

I have never played Thunderstone, but all the criticisms I have heard of Thunderstone in this thread also apply to this game. You start with a hero that can equip 1 weapon. Each additional weapon needs an ally, so you must draw them together in your 4-card hand. Most weapons and allies cost at least 5, and you start with a deck that only has 4 money, so you are entirely dependent on what comes up in the Action decks. The lack of an always-available Silver type card means that you can be stuck unable to buy something that helps your deck much of the time. Other players can choose to "assist" you in defeating monsters, or can "block" you (increasing the monster's defense) using one of the 4 starting cards. Players gain experience for being on the victorious side, which means that if you are behind, the player in the lead can assist you whenever you fight, making it nearly impossible to catch up. Another factor leading to this acceleration is that starting heroes gain strength as they gain experience, so a player who is ahead can beat monsters from tougher piles. By the time we had mostly emptied out the strating mosnter pile, a player had reached exalted status, which ends the game. I did not find this one enjoyable.

"Let's make a game where you have to rely on randomly drawn combos to achieve anything and anyone who manages to pull ahead gets even stronger so they can continue pulling ahead" is such a loving terrible combination of ideas it really ought to be surprising that more designers keep deciding to go for it but I guess not.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hanabi is an amazing portable game, which lives in my bag all the time. Get Hanabi, you will not be disappointed*. Other than that, all the other recommendations are good. Add Timeline to the list too, even though it's hardly a game.

*Disappointment may occur. Hanabi is not for everyone, but it's not at all inaccessible either.

Anyway, I came here to post about my latest project. I live in the middle-eastern part of Copenhagen, and there was a junk-sale thing going on in a square. I paid slightly too much (:10bux:) for this collection of old lebanese coins:

They come in three denominations, 1, 10 and 25 (technically 1, 0.10 and 0.25). Sadly there were no 2/0.02's or 5/0.05's, but I will just find those some other time. Excuse the very shaky picture:

I really like having real metal coins in Dungeon Lords, and I'm thinking it will work in 7 Wonders, Coup and probably other games. I just need to find out what good games use coins now, so I can buy that poo poo!

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

jeeves posted:

Just get the iOS version and spend your precious 'time to play games with real people' playing better games in person.

Star Realms is a super luck-dependant market row deck builder.

There's an Android version too. (Don't play it)

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

BonHair posted:

Hanabi is an amazing portable game, which lives in my bag all the time. Get Hanabi, you will not be disappointed*. Other than that, all the other recommendations are good. Add Timeline to the list too, even though it's hardly a game.

*Disappointment may occur. Hanabi is not for everyone, but it's not at all inaccessible either.

Anyway, I came here to post about my latest project. I live in the middle-eastern part of Copenhagen, and there was a junk-sale thing going on in a square. I paid slightly too much (:10bux:) for this collection of old lebanese coins:

They come in three denominations, 1, 10 and 25 (technically 1, 0.10 and 0.25). Sadly there were no 2/0.02's or 5/0.05's, but I will just find those some other time. Excuse the very shaky picture:

I really like having real metal coins in Dungeon Lords, and I'm thinking it will work in 7 Wonders, Coup and probably other games. I just need to find out what good games use coins now, so I can buy that poo poo!

Terra Mystica :getin:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Has anyone played Tier Auf Tier? English name is Animal Upon Animal. I saw it in my local game shop and it looks super goofy - you basically need to stack little wooden animals into a huge pile and then rotate them around without knocking the tower over. Anyone know if it's worth picking up?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

It's a silly HABA kids game, which means it's pretty good at being a silly kids game. If that's what you're looking for it and Rhino Hero are the two really popular HABA games to buy.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

There's an Android version too. (Don't play it)

I play the campaign mode once in a while until I want to basically uninstall due to how bullshit the game can be. Star Realms is utterly dependent on which cards you luck out getting in the first few rounds.

This is mitigated in the live version by a house rule letting the market row start off with like 3-4 extra cards but never refresh with new cards until you're down to the customary 6, but obviously the online versions don't have this so whatevs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey boardgoons. I found a meetup group for Melbourne that does all kind of board games and went to my first meet on Saturday and didnt get horribly murdered by meeting strangers from the internet. Giant stack of games in the middle of the space that people picked and played from. Quite a few that I recognized but none of them were the games I ended up in that day.

We played R-eco, some trivia game, Space Junk and Ladies and Gentlemen.

R-eco is sort of a mutant UNO where you're getting rid of trash cards at recycling centers.

Space Junk was probably the most interesting of the lot. You play as a bunch of scavengers building your ship with junk, orbiting the earth in a race where you can also attack other players for their loot or points. A little mechanically unbalanced since you get different character cards assigned to each player, so one player skipped out the combat entirely and just raced around hoarding an enormous pile of loot, while another player had ridiculously huge guns and murdered his way to 1st place by more than twice the score of other players. Nerf him! Also the scoring track is ridiculous and should have followed a better pattern than an uneven serpentine.

Ladies and Gentlemen was odd. Picked out because the group got to 8 people and we just picked whichever game that supported it. It's kind of... not good? Basically it's two games in one. Players are divided up into Ladies or Gents, paired up as a couple and the ladies have to shop for the most fabulous outfit for the ball. The gents do all the game work by working the stock exchange and approving their lady's purchases. It was pretty... eh. Funny once everyone got in character but still eh gameplay wise.

No one in the group had played any of them so we all struggled with the horribly written rules every time except trivia and even then we managed to screw up by setting up and heading off in the reverse order. :v:

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
Would anyone be interested in a table-talk game of Twilight Struggle over Vassal or Tabletop Simulator? I have read the rules and played about five games, but I feel like the macro level strategy of the game is something I am not conceptualizing. I understand, at this point, what are some of the big cards to be scared of and played around, but things like when to stop dumping influence into a certain region, when to realign vs coup vs just place influence to try and take a country. Thanks very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MC2552John posted:

Would anyone be interested in a table-talk game of Twilight Struggle over Vassal or Tabletop Simulator? I have read the rules and played about five games, but I feel like the macro level strategy of the game is something I am not conceptualizing. I understand, at this point, what are some of the big cards to be scared of and played around, but things like when to stop dumping influence into a certain region, when to realign vs coup vs just place influence to try and take a country. Thanks very much.

I might be able to on like Wednesday or something, I work nights so it would have to be like around noon EST