Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
That's a good idea. I used one of those to replace a freezeplug in my Suburban years ago (that was my first auto repair, thanks AI.)

I also want to check and see of the stator cover from a LC4 660 SMC might fit. It's a very similar engine, with no electric start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Well....that might be why the 999 wasnt sliding into neutral smoothly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's the end of a long weekend here on Ontario and lemme tellya it's loving amateur hour out on the highways. I'll just label the whole experience the Caravan Of Dope.

But it's good to be out on the ol Banidt after like a month.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

titanium posted:

Well....that might be why the 999 wasnt sliding into neutral smoothly.

Those things kill the clutch fluid fast either way. Don't forget to bleed the center bolt there. :)

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Finally got around to swapping the master cylinder and front brakes from a YZF-600 to the FZR-600. PO had installed R6 blue dots, but kept the stock master cylinder. Extremely wooden feel.

Everything mounted up and I can actually modulate the front brake! The YZF stuff was still a closed system so I went ahead and mounted the gold dot calipers along with the master cylinder. We'll see how she rides tomorrow morning on the way to work. Here's to hoping I don't die!

Now it just needs new pads all the way around and a brake flush.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Finished breaking in the tires (BT S20 Evos feel nice on the DRZ) and failed miserably at wheelies.

:downs: gently caress, why isn't it coming up at all? WOT + clutch drop usually gets me more than a god drat inch or two off the ground. Is my clutch dying? Did I mess something up?

:downs: Wait, I'm in third. gently caress.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Finally got around to swapping the master cylinder and front brakes from a YZF-600 to the FZR-600. PO had installed R6 blue dots, but kept the stock master cylinder. Extremely wooden feel.

Everything mounted up and I can actually modulate the front brake! The YZF stuff was still a closed system so I went ahead and mounted the gold dot calipers along with the master cylinder. We'll see how she rides tomorrow morning on the way to work. Here's to hoping I don't die!

Now it just needs new pads all the way around and a brake flush.

Update: not dead. Bike stops like a champ now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Did a decent ride down 101. Then added a bunch more oil to my gluttonous DRZ. I think the gas/ oil consumption is close to 1 to 1 at this point. :sigh:

Also I glued a bunch of parts back on since my bike shakes harder than Michael J Fox on caffeine and methamphetamine.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Lopped off the front fender for no good reason.
I popped my vintage bike cherry by twisting the head off a bolt for the first time ever!
And then I did it again, just for good measure, leaving two of the four bolts still half in their holes.

Before

And after!

:krad:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hopefully you don't ride in the rain or on dirty roads!

I adjusted the clutch pushrod. Transmission didn't blow up after a test ride, chalking it up as a success.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Hopefully you don't ride in the rain or on dirty roads!

That's what the cage is for!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

N is for Nipples posted:

That's what the car is for!

Ftfy

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Replaced grips.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Put on a wonky flyscreen. I like it, looks good and does not make the airstream much different.

I also replaced my levers and mirrors a few weeks ago, put on a radiator guard as well as some frame sliders. I guess my new ride is "blinged" out as I would like for now.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Oh, and LED turn signals as well...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
rebuilt the flatslide carb and installed it. Also installed the rear brake master cylinder guard.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
After a month dreading it on the Ninja 250(because i did it on the klr), I did the valve adjustment on the ninjette tonight. Twice the valves as before, in half the space, plus all the rest of the junk to move away. I opened it up last friday and decide that no way was I going to do that. All week I went back and forth between doing it myself, because I know how, and paying 450 to have it done.

In the end I felt that if I was going to ride MY bike, it was my responsibility to do this. So I did, and didn't enjoy it at all.

I don't feel like a boss as much as know that I am a boss for doing it, and can't wait to get back in the saddle.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Coydog posted:

After a month dreading it on the Ninja 250(because i did it on the klr), I did the valve adjustment on the ninjette tonight. Twice the valves as before, in half the space, plus all the rest of the junk to move away. I opened it up last friday and decide that no way was I going to do that. All week I went back and forth between doing it myself, because I know how, and paying 450 to have it done.

In the end I felt that if I was going to ride MY bike, it was my responsibility to do this. So I did, and didn't enjoy it at all.

I don't feel like a boss as much as know that I am a boss for doing it, and can't wait to get back in the saddle.

08+ Ninjette? That was my first "major" motorcycle repair and it was a huge pain in my rear end. I surprised that it didn't blow up and I could of sworn I had a tiny bit of mid range back after doing it.

Then I told a friend I would do it for a race bike of his and ended up having to swap out the head. That was fun...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Ditched the ratty black bodywork.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Changed the front brake pads after drilling out the stuck screw on the brake fluid reservoir. Also bled and changed brake fluid front and back.

I had a brake fluid tester so I used that for fun before changing them anyway. front was okay with 1% moisture, Back was peaking above the scale of 4%.. The fluid was changed at the same time last time.
Only difference is that I don't use the back brake as often as front, and the reservoir is plastic not metal as the front is.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I've been out of town so I haven't gotten to ride the new bike much. I finally went and filled up - 150 miles on 2.7 gallons feels nice.

Riding on this metal grid stuff does not feel nice.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Cleaned a hundred years of brake dust off the calipers, replaced the pads, bled both front and rear. Hopefully this time the fluid will last.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Checked tire pressure and oil and took it for a ride. After the Sturgis ride it's feeling well broken in. Had oil changed in town before we headed home so it's still freshish.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Drained the 2t, drained the petrol, took out the petcock, binned the ancient 6V battery, sat on it making meeeeeep noises.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Washed/Polished it to get the trip to indy's worth of road debris off it. Cleaned and Lubed ye olde' chain.

Tech specs applied. Now it matches its garage buddy.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
How are the pads? I really need some for my R1, I just waxed it and Its actually impossible to grip the tank now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Tech specs are nice and grippy and don't tear up your gear over time, stompgrips stick like hell and will wear on your pants over time.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Voltage posted:

How are the pads? I really need some for my R1, I just waxed it and Its actually impossible to grip the tank now.

I've got them on the RC8R and the SD now and both sets are fine. Just need to make sure you put them on when the bike is clean/dry and let them sit in the sun for a while so the adhesive can stick, otherwise they're rock solid.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Put a new petcock on the cb125.
I had to use a dremel to remove a little bit of the China from the inside so the mounting screw would fit, but hopefully it's all good now.

Now I just need to figure out what is up with the clutch.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Took apart a bunch of stuff and took far too many pictures like a gleeful child, for once:

Identical generic petcocks on ebay for $15 :sun:

Kickstarter mechanism thingy

Something something elegant simplicity. Astounded to discover it has a balance shaft! The clutch was jammed solid when the bike was together but a quick flick of a screwdriver popped the gluey seal of time and they look entirely useable. That brassy brazy looking area on part of the shift mechanism looks worrying though.

Can someone explain to me wtf the purpose of the rubber block thingammies in the cooling fins is? They're in various configurations all over the head and bore. Little rubber blocks strung together and jammed in the fin gaps. Air cooled engine cold weather gear? Technological forebear to Honda's GP race bike brake cozies? Harmonic dampers to minimise rider discomfort? Why are they there?

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Thanks in no small part to GnarlyCharlie's generous lending of workspace and supervision/expertise, babby's first carb clean went pretty well. Much was learned in the process including valuable lessons about the ballistic properties of of carb cleaner under pressure when shot through fuel passages. Carbs are now cleaned and wrapped up awaiting refitting. Going to crack the tank tonight and see what lurks within while I replace the petcock. Fresh fuel lines have been acquired and with some luck I'll be putting it all back together this weekend.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I had to use a dremel to remove a little bit of the China from the inside so the mounting screw would fit, but hopefully it's all good now.

I seen it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The_Maz posted:

Thanks in no small part to GnarlyCharlie's generous lending of workspace and supervision/expertise, babby's first carb clean went pretty well. Much was learned in the process including valuable lessons about the ballistic properties of of carb cleaner under pressure when shot through fuel passages. Carbs are now cleaned and wrapped up awaiting refitting. Going to crack the tank tonight and see what lurks within while I replace the petcock. Fresh fuel lines have been acquired and with some luck I'll be putting it all back together this weekend.

I seen it.

loving POST A THREAD ALREADY!
The world needs more 90's awesomeness.

Also: your face when I pulled the pneumatic cutoff wheel out for a carb clean. :ohdear:

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

loving POST A THREAD ALREADY!
The world needs more 90's awesomeness.

Also: your face when I pulled the pneumatic cutoff wheel out for a carb clean. :ohdear:

There was a moment of extreme consternation, yes. I'll get off my rear end and roll everything up into a thread this weekend.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
Q:

Slavvy posted:

Can someone explain to me wtf the purpose of the rubber block thingammies in the cooling fins is?

A:

quote:

Harmonic dampers to minimise rider discomfort?

Pretty much nailed it. It's said that air-cooled engines can make a high-pitched ring, so most air-cooled bikes have them. I'm sure someone can explain why it's a bad idea, but I always picked them out of my bikes and never noticed a difference. I get paranoid about air-cooled bikes running too hot.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The_Maz posted:

There was a moment of extreme consternation, yes. I'll get off my rear end and roll everything up into a thread this weekend.

HOORAY!
Maybe in return I'll stop being lazy and consolidate my exploits of trying to unload several years of collecting sins vintage bikes before I get married.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WildWanderer posted:

Q:

A:

Pretty much nailed it. It's said that air-cooled engines can make a high-pitched ring, so most air-cooled bikes have them. I'm sure someone can explain why it's a bad idea, but I always picked them out of my bikes and never noticed a difference. I get paranoid about air-cooled bikes running too hot.

I have every intention of putting them in a box that they will never get taken out of again, they look terrible.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I sold the Aprilia for a $500 profit. Schwing. Time to bike shop.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Had to replace my rear Angel GT with a new one after 2000 miles, stupid nails in the road.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I took all of it's accessories out of storage, guy's driving 4 hours on Saturday with a wad of cash for meeeeee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SaNChEzZ posted:

I took all of it's accessories out of storage, guy's driving 4 hours on Saturday with a wad of cash for meeeeee!

:) Congratulations, took a long time.