Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
He is going to add GPS support in the near future as well.

I was going to buy the hardware for a piaware setup so that just gave me more reason to.

Trying to get it to work on 1090es so I can see traffic in Canada. No 978 here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Rickety Cricket posted:

If anyone was considering buying a Stratus, consider this, from Reddit.

Part 1
Part 2

I just ordered my parts and hope to test it out this week.

gently caress Sporty's

Maybe I'm missing something...what's wrong with Sporty's?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Hauldren Collider posted:

Sportys.com is in with the makers of Stratus who sell a very similar device for 900 dollars

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

It appears he's upset that they sell something for $900 that you can make yourself for $113.90.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
My gripe with Sporty's is bigger than Stratus. They overcharge on everything. If it's not a Sporty's exclusive you can buy it on any other pilot supply site for less. I got a flashlight for night flying for $15 on Amazon that Sporty's was selling for $40. If you're planning an overwater flight and want life vests you can buy them from the company for 30% less than the Spoty's price. Amazon will overnight me a printer for $5, Sporty's will charge me $5 for 2 day shipping on a SECTIONAL. If you want 2 sectionals they will tack on another $3 in shipping.

Yes I use an EFB, I'm just using sectionals as an example.

At the expense of being totally on the outside, I love my (overpriced) Sporty's flight bag. :colbert:

E: Eat the rich

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Speaking of flight bags, what would you recommend for a student pilot? I'm kind of tired of carrying my stuff in a grocery sack.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Speaking of flight bags, what would you recommend for a student pilot? I'm kind of tired of carrying my stuff in a grocery sack.

If you plan on buying the Jeppesen kits they come with a cheap duffel style flight bag which served me well for a couple years. I finally got fed up with fishing around in it and bought this

Despite my bitching about sportys, their FlightGear line is really nice. And I personally prefer the bucket style bag to the duffel style.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Will that fit a kneeboard? I have this one: http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/flight-bags-kneeboards/flight-gear-bags/sporty-s-tri-fold-kneeboard.html

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I used one of the Sportys Flight Gear bags for about nine years (including five years flight instructing), and it held up really well to all kinds of abuse while being able to carry a lot of stuff. That bag got retired in favor of a flight case when I started an airline job, since all I need to carry now is a headset, iPad, flashlight, and various pens and chargers for stuff.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Guys that fly professionally with an iPad: Do you carry a full-size, or an iPad mini?

I've flown with a full size quite a few times, and a friend just got a mini that seems like it would be a hell of a lot more convenient in the cockpit of something smaller than a Boeing product...

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I fly with a full sized iPad and enjoy the larger screen size, especially for viewing larger airport diagrams and cluttered charts without having to zoom in to read details like frequencies and altitudes. I'm on the CRJ (literally as I'm typing this) which isn't exactly Boeing sized but is certainly roomier than a Cessna or Piper. Having said that, the iPad is still a little awkward due to its bulk although most of that bulk comes from the ridiculous double suction cup mount that we're required to use. If you can find a way to mount it where it's not too awkward I'd recommend the full sized one.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I also fly with a full size iPad, and agree with what Kodiak said about most of the hassle being from the gigantic mounts we have to use.

In the Q400, the problem is made slightly worse by the fact that the iPad mount has to fit in a fairly small gap between the window frame and the permanently mounted EFB on the cockpit sidewall, which can make reaching around it to change the altimeter settings or speed bugs a bit awkward.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Re tablet: I've used both a Nexus 7 and Air 2. The Air 2 wins out by screen size. But I wish it were a smidge smaller.

Re flight bag: Jeppsen Student Flight bag. Held up well, plenty of space. Pretty cheap, too. 35 bucks or so. I plan on upgrading to something nicer at some point.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I have only tried a mini and I like it. I am not suctioning it at all however. I'll either use my kneeboard strap to hold it down or set it on the console. I have noticed that other guys with the regular large sized ipad have a harder time stowing it places that aren't in their bags.

Speaking of bags-- I currently use a backpack but am considering getting a messenger bag. I don't carry too much though-- kneeboard, checklist, notebook, bottle of water and some food. I flight pubs in a separate little hand bag.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

That kneeboard will poke out the top, as pictured here . I used that kneeboard when I was a student and to be honest it's overkill and really bulky. All you need is one of these , IFR or VFR, your choice

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I have an app strap I use with my iPad mini, it works really well. The full size just didn't work all that great as a kneeboard.

Disclaimer: The biggest plane I've flown is a 182.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Who is flying these days without using the mini? Weird

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Aviation nightmare chat:

I've had the busted airspace nightmare. Funny how frightening it is, more so than certain crash nightmares, says a lot of our fear of the FAA. I've had tons of engine loss/crash nightmares, either in airlines or GA. I've also had nightmares in which I recreate how my friend's who have died in crashes. Which is strange considering there is no conclusive information on how exactly any of the three of them ended up crashing (two of them were engine failures but there is no info on the chain of events). I guess my subconscious was trying to fill-in the blanks, make sense of it, and somehow prepare me. I've also had plenty of nightmares from when I was a CFI and I had especially terrible students with which I nearly crashed, and also nightmares about crashing in the Central American jungle, over which I did an especially traumatic cross country flight. The government of Nicaragua did not allow us to stay in their country so we had to fly the Cessna 182 straight to Panama at night IMC with no radio comms and elevation up to 15,000ft (plane would not climb above 14,000ft).

The nightmares have not persisted, I had them for short periods and then they went away, I assume because my mind decided they served their purpose.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Who is flying these days without using the mini? Weird

I use a full size iPad for the simple reason that it's the only tablet the FAA has approved my employer to use, and the company pays for the iPad, data plan, and replacement of said iPad once the battery decides to crap out.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Tablet chat: currently rocking an iPad mini, but I almost never use it flight. The Jepp binder fits well enough on the side clipboard in the CRJ, but we're supposed to be getting Surface 3 tablets with the ridiculous suction cup mounts any day now :chloe:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Trams states uses iPad Air 2's, sadly, as I prefer the mini myself.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Oh restricted airspace nightmares. I fly over the Capital city of Canada. So, yeah every flgiht I need to be careful not to fly over parliament and get shot down. Or even worse, over Dwyer Hill. (It's our special forces HQ. Think Quantico I guess). I have had nightmares of getting a SAM enema while flying.

Last night, my grandfather who was a beaufighter mechanic in WWII, shared a story of a plane he was on getting pushed by a strong wind over a secret naval base in the Orkney's and dodging flak. So, yeah, know that nightmare well.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Popular Science October 1971. Lots more airplanes in this issue, too.
https://books.google.com/books?id=XgEAAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&client=firefox#v=onepage&q&f=false

simble
May 11, 2004

http://www.kpho.com/story/29768179/storm-knocks-over-planes-at-chandler-airport

Planes into other planes, planes into buildings planes into other planes. Sadness fills my heart.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Weather here finally breaking a bit and we're losing some of the wet blanket humidity we've had for months. It's been absolutely miserable getting any air time lately.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

simble posted:

Planes into other planes, planes into buildings planes into other planes. Sadness fills my heart.

Yikes. Were the planes not tied down, or was the storm so severe that even that wasn't enough?

simble
May 11, 2004

I promise that they were tied down.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

simble posted:

"Strong winds flipped over 20 to 30 small planes, leaving behind several thousands of dollars in damage."

Don't worry, only ~$100 in damage per plane!

simble
May 11, 2004

Interesting, they corrected it to say millions but then changed it back to say thousands. Who knows... At least the reporter in the video is an actual pilot.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

simble posted:

I promise that they were tied down.

I am so fired.

Edit: This post is a joke.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 13, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Rolo posted:

I am so fired.

Explain

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Time to get started on the good ol' ATP.

http://www.tblackaviation.com/ATP-Training.html

xaarman fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 15, 2015

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Just got back from signing up... jesus that plane is old. No electrical trim?!!?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

xaarman posted:

Just got back from signing up... jesus that plane is old. No electrical trim?!!?

Just look at the girls in bikinis and stop caring about electric trim

Besides that poo poo is too slow anyway.

Also I'm jealous as hell

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

xaarman posted:

Did I miss something? I see no info about an airplane on that page

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xaarman posted:

Not sure if serious, or if you're actually that spoiled.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Rickety Cricket posted:

Did I miss something? I see no info about an airplane on that page

http://www.tblackaviation.com/images/10bn2-panel.jpg

MrYenko posted:

Not sure if serious, or if you're actually that spoiled.

Not sure if troll

xaarman fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 15, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Two planes collided today in Southern California near KSDM, Brown Field Municipal Airport. A Cessna 172 and a Sabreliner.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Reports-of-Plane-Down-Otay-Lakes-Road-Officials-321995182.html

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Who spilled coffee on a server at Washington Center? This is really loving up my whole weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Who spilled coffee on a server at Washington Center? This is really loving up my whole weekend.

ZDC isn't still shut down is it? I thought it got sorted out yesterday

• Locked thread