Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

Nsap you're getting old bro.

It happens. Circle of life. Meanwhile, you're doing well. I saw you burn Chivache in a thread about his exploding engines and I thought "That Slavvy, he's come a long way".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

It happens. Circle of life. Meanwhile, you're doing well. I saw you burn Chivache in a thread about his exploding engines and I thought "That Slavvy, he's come a long way".

The joke was funny.

Singular though, just one engine. Pretty sure I'll blow up the next one too though, for consistency.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

The joke was funny.

Singular though, just one engine. Pretty sure I'll blow up the next one too though, for consistency.

Were you the one talking about having a DRZ that burned oil like gas? Because my 20k+mi motor doesn't burn poo poo you DRZ killer.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

Were you the one talking about having a DRZ that burned oil like gas? Because my 20k+mi motor doesn't burn poo poo you DRZ killer.

I have a leak. :sigh: gotta change all my oil before I can fix it.

The leak is new, btw. Not what killed the old engine.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Marxalot posted:

Because my 20k+mi motor doesn't burn poo poo
Least of all rubber. :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I wonder if it's too late to get a refund?

quote:

EXPERIENCE THE WORLD OF DUCATI
Hi <>,
We are pleased to congratulate you on the purchase of your Monster 821 Stripe, the naked icon that offers endless enjoyment. We confirm that your bike's warranty has been activated.

Owning a Ducati means being part of a world of unique emotion and infinite passion, in which you will always be recognisable thanks to your Ducati Code.

YOUR DUCATI CODE: <>

DUCATI CARD
You will shortly receive a welcome letter signed by our CEO and your Ducati Card, your official identification as a Ducatista that bears your personal details and those of your bike.

DEDICATED INTERNET AREA
In the meantime, access the reserved area of our site to check or update your details and download a printable version of your Ducati Card. You can also manage the bikes you own or would like to purchase and access the maintenance and user guide and spares catalogue for your bike.

DUCATI EXPERIENCE
Ducati is one big family with whom to share exciting experiences. Ignite your passion by taking part in initiatives dedicated to our customers and experience the enthusiasm of the Desmo Owners Clubs, global ambassadors for the love of Ducati bikes!

EVENTS ›

DESMO OWNERS CLUB ›
CUSTOMER SERVICE
Finally,let us remind you that you can contact our Customer Service colleagues with any query, by filling out the online form or by calling the freephone number 00800 00 382284 (the equivalent of entering 00800 00 DUCATI on your keypad) available from Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm.

Desmodromic greetings,
the Ducati Team

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You wouldn't believe how tempted I am to get you some kind of ~~DESMODROMIC DUCATISTA~~ :wink: red text right now

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
:stare:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It's like when you go to a nice bistro and you're like oh, they make fancy chili that sounds fun but a friend tells you that they put raisins in it.

I still want an 821. But drat if Ducati isn't trying to throw some raisins up in my chili.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Ducati truly is the Harley of Europe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Desmodromic greetings,
I think that might even beat the "soaring regards," I got in an email from a RedBull employee.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

quote:

My brother is scheduled to come and ride your bike tomorrow. His name is Mathias Knight. He wants to work a deal with you to see if he could pay you over time. I have bought enough stuff off craigslist that I'm pretty sure you wont.

Whats the lowest you will go? If you will take $1550 and you have some way to get money from North Carolina (paypal, etc...) I will buy the bike outright, and he can pay me back instead. Please dont tell him as I want it to be a surprise.

What do you think?

This craigslist buyer sounds REAL LEGIT. His brother was trying to schedule a time to come ride it tomorrow. I luckily didn't give out any info or schedule a time yet or I would have woken up to a stolen motorcycle once again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wonder if it's too late to get a refund?

Lol at least Harley is upfront about this shameful-rear end poo poo

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Collateral Damage posted:

Least of all rubber. :v:

That little bastard goes through more tires than you would think. I know I'm running soft compound tires, but still.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I think that might even beat the "soaring regards," I got in an email from a RedBull employee.

The thing that worries me most is the idea that I might one day start talking like that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol at least Harley is upfront about this shameful-rear end poo poo

I find an interesting parallel here thanks to Desmodromic Greetings.

Harley push their anti-technology as a marketing gimmick for people who don't like technology.

Ducati use desmo valves as a marketing gimmick for people who think they're clever.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Slavvy posted:

Desmodromic Greetings

Self-adjusted Greetings

Sounds a bit dirty, dunnit? If by anti-technology you mean not having to worry about it every other season, then yes, I agree.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I find an interesting parallel here thanks to Desmodromic Greetings.

Harley push their anti-technology as a marketing gimmick for people who don't like technology.

Ducati use desmo valves as a marketing gimmick for people who think they're clever.

Yeah, there's like a lot more stuff about desmos on the bit of their website you can only get to once you've bought one - to the point where they advertise "Desmo owners club" rather than "Ducati owners club". Also it puts a whole new light on the weird fact that you can pretty much only hear the valve clatter from the riding position, it's basically inaudible from anywhere else. I previously assumed it was one of those weird acoustic freaks like how you couldn't hear the Shiver's water pump from the rider's seat but from anywhere else it was dry-clutch loud. Now i think they might do it deliberately to remind me that Desmodronics loves me and has a plan for my life.

I was going to ask if I'd joined a cult but that leaves way too open a goal for clever word play.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
KTM's letter wishes you 'sporty regards' and has a PS that likens the bike to a high-end kitchen knife, and advises you to be careful if you're only used to lesser specimens.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, there's like a lot more stuff about desmos on the bit of their website you can only get to once you've bought one - to the point where they advertise "Desmo owners club" rather than "Ducati owners club". Also it puts a whole new light on the weird fact that you can pretty much only hear the valve clatter from the riding position, it's basically inaudible from anywhere else. I previously assumed it was one of those weird acoustic freaks like how you couldn't hear the Shiver's water pump from the rider's seat but from anywhere else it was dry-clutch loud. Now i think they might do it deliberately to remind me that Desmodronics loves me and has a plan for my life.

I didn't know that was a thing and now I'm gonna have to listen for it when I am riding next time. Did they say this applies to all Ducs or just the new ones?

I don't have access to the website because I'm a scrub-tier second-hand rider. :negative:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Why do motorcycle dealers around me suck so much about test rides? Ever time I've gone to a manufacturer website who advertises the ability to test ride I get something like this:

quote:

We do not have 1 in the store at this time but,
We can can order 1 for you. The cost is $1000.00 to pre order and recieve delivery within 60 days. I look forward to working with you. If there is anything else I can do for you please let me know.

No mention of when one might be available to checkout, let alone ride. Just a generic "offer" for me to make a deposit on an order.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ripoff posted:

I didn't know that was a thing and now I'm gonna have to listen for it when I am riding next time. Did they say this applies to all Ducs or just the new ones?

I don't have access to the website because I'm a scrub-tier second-hand rider. :negative:

The only other Duc I've ever ridden was a 748 in like 1999, and that had Termis that set off seismometers from Tokyo to LA, so I can't really say one way or another.

TBH it's a good thing because it reminds me to wear earplugs even when I'm only going round the corner. Makes the bike sound a million times better.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

No. 6 posted:

Why do motorcycle dealers around me suck so much about test rides? Ever time I've gone to a manufacturer website who advertises the ability to test ride I get something like this:

No mention of when one might be available to checkout, let alone ride. Just a generic "offer" for me to make a deposit on an order.

I asked the guy at the local dealership, because he offered me a test ride of a bike. He said that people will come in, drop a bike, get hurt and sue. Even with waivers people are pulling this poo poo, and dealerships can't really afford to fight it in court, so they're just not doing them much these days.

TL;DR: Bunch of assholes ruining it for everyone

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That sounds like bullshit, considering Japanese dealers will almost universally never let you ride while European dealers will. Why would the Euro dealers want to get sued while the Japanese ones don't?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

That sounds like bullshit, considering Japanese dealers will almost universally never let you ride while European dealers will. Why would the Euro dealers want to get sued while the Japanese ones don't?

Obviously it's slightly different over here but I've found it's totally dealer-dependent. The only brand that have universally (IME) been lovely about test-rides are Yamaha, even at multi-brand franchises. It's actually quite weird how the multi-franchise dealers can be different about different brands but even Metropolis, whose Ducati and Triumph salesmen were falling over themselves to offer me test rides, dicked me about for ages when I was trying to get a test on an MT-09.

If anyone cares here's the ranking in terms of easiness to get test rides from London-area main dealers:

Royal Enfield
Honda
Suzuki
Triumph
Ducati
Aprilia
Kawasaki
MV Agusta

Yamaha

Aprilia would be higher if their one London-area dealer weren't chronically disorganised - InMoto didn't actually put any blocks in my way but I had to keep chasing them up. The RE and Honda dealers get special mention because both offered me test rides without me even asking for one and RE gave me a fresh out of the crate Continental GT for a day after a quick glance at my license. MV get marked down for only letting me have it for half an hour, from a shop with no decent biking roads for ten miles in any direction.

I can understand small dealers being reluctant to loan out bikes, obviously it costs them quite a bit of money and I guess there's a lot of time-wasters, but I don't understand Yamaha's flagship dealer being shittier and snobbier about test rides than loving MV Agusta. I took out one of only 43 Brutale 675s in the entire country for a test ride but apparently an MT-09 is such a special and unique snowflake that I can only touch one after giving them a grand deposit, while Suzuki were throwing bikes at me just in case anyone thinks it's a "premium brand" thing.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The brands/dealerships that don't do test rides can get hosed. The only Honda dealer that would let me test ride was the one I bought from, even though it was an additional 40 miles away.

Seriously, go gently caress yourself if you think I'm spending thousands of dollars on something I can only test once I've purchased.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Our shop does test rides pretty freely, we usually do ask for a refundable deposit though. Our bikes are mostly used or are scooters so the money involved is not huge. We actually did have a guy crash once test riding a used bike, hurt himself enough to need an ambulance. He was in fact yelling about suing us. But then the cops showed up and cuffed him as he went into the ambulance because it turns out there was a warrant out on him for who knows what. So that worked out for us I guess.

I can imagine why a dealer would be less eager to do test rides based on who owns the dealer and how they feel about the liability, but I have a hard time understanding why the brand of bike would have anything to do with it.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Also, as what looks to be the case for No. 6's dealer, if they don't have the bike in stock how are they supposed to let you test ride it? I can see why they wouldn't want to order one just to let you test ride it. If it's not in stock the reason is probably either because they're afraid of not being able to sell it or because it's in such high demand that they don't need to offer a test ride to sell it.

I totally agree that I wouldn't buy a bike without being able to ride it first, but I can see why this scenario would happen.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Koruthaiolos posted:

Also, as what looks to be the case for No. 6's dealer, if they don't have the bike in stock how are they supposed to let you test ride it? I can see why they wouldn't want to order one just to let you test ride it. If it's not in stock the reason is probably either because they're afraid of not being able to sell it or because it's in such high demand that they don't need to offer a test ride to sell it.

I totally agree that I wouldn't buy a bike without being able to ride it first, but I can see why this scenario would happen.

Another part of me thinks that the reason that Yamaha don't want MT-09s being test ridden is they're a huge pile of poo poo, I was really deeply unimpressed with the one that I got a dealer to really begrudgingly give me half an hour on, with a £1000 deposit. Given the huge amounts of MT-09s for sale on Bike Trader which haven't even made it to the second service, that suggests there might be a problem - my very rough and ready calculations suggest 6% of all the registered bikes on the road are currently for sale.

(it's 4% for the Shiver and 2% for the 821 Monster if you're interested, which SCIENTIFICALLY PROVES the Shiver is twice as good as the MT-09 and the Monster twice as good again and now I'm bored and scared if I put in any other bikes I will be hoist by my own petard)

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I completely understand if they simply don't have something around because it's a hot ticket, I also get that a lot of places won't let someone wander in off the street and just go ride around.\

This most recent example, I went to the manufacturer's website where there was a huge advertisement to schedule test rides. I filled out my info and the only response back is what you saw above. This has happened to me many times and I don't understand the disconnect between manufacturers encouraging test rides and their dealers never allowing.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Lynza posted:

I asked the guy at the local dealership, because he offered me a test ride of a bike. He said that people will come in, drop a bike, get hurt and sue. Even with waivers people are pulling this poo poo, and dealerships can't really afford to fight it in court, so they're just not doing them much these days.

TL;DR: Bunch of assholes ruining it for everyone

I still think it's goddamn hilarious that my local Harley dealership let me take a bike out ("yeah come back whenever" *half hour later* "you're back already??") while the Honda / Kawasaki / Suzuki lot I had to be satisfied with a 'description' of how the bike rode.

Yeah salesman tell me how exciting it is to twist the throttle on a CTX700 mmm you know how to talk dirty to me.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Revvik posted:

I still think it's goddamn hilarious that my local Harley dealership let me take a bike out ("yeah come back whenever" *half hour later* "you're back already??") while the Honda / Kawasaki / Suzuki lot I had to be satisfied with a 'description' of how the bike rode.

Yeah salesman tell me how exciting it is to twist the throttle on a CTX700 mmm you know how to talk dirty to me.

The local Ducati dealer told me to take a Hyperstrada out and "take some time to get used to it" while the BMW dealer offered a ride on the R nineT without question. I'm kind of surprised myself to be honest.

I think lots of people probably end up buying supersports without a test ride so the Japanese dealers are used to it, while Harley and Euro dealers are probably looking at a clientele that is on their second or third bike and know what they want.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Pretty sure Harley has more than their fair share of first time riders.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

Pretty sure Harley has more than their fair share of first time riders.

*raises hand*

I mean, I showed up on an old KZ, but I'd been on a motorcycle for two months, and only got it into my head to start riding a month before that.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Harley is run by people that actually know how to run a business - giving people demo rides, staying open on Sundays, and having nice dealerships is expensive, but it sells expensive bikes with fat profit margins. My experience with most moto dealerships is that they're run by people that are aggressively retarded and have no data-centric business sense.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Radbot posted:

Harley is run by people that actually know how to run a business - giving people demo rides, staying open on Sundays, and having nice dealerships is expensive, but it sells expensive bikes with fat profit margins. My experience with most moto dealerships is that they're run by people that are aggressively retarded and have no data-centric business sense.

I would love to have a sit-down with the Japanese bike dealership where I got my bike. Their gear is the saddest, most ridiculously eclectic and worthless selection I've seen. They sell a bunch of leatherdaddy stuff, including luggage, and essentially nothing high-end, not Dainese, except they have Arai helmets. They sell 2 Klim jackets, and then they have a massive selection of lovely gloves. It's like idiots decided on their stock by committee.

I get the feeling they do more dirtbike business, but I think if they actually got good stock, smaller but more useful selection, and added some better helmet brands, they'd be doing a lot more gear business.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Hate to ruin your hopes for humanity or anything, but *most* dealers stock the cheapest gear they can get because high-end doesn't sell. If someone wants to buy top quality they already know where to get it and your average walk-in customer isn't buying $200+ gloves or $600+ jackets.

They don't stock the store for you, they stock it for the average GSXR/R/CBR/Cruiser Rider. Cheap jackets, cheap gloves, cheap helmets, maybe one pair of pants from stock 4 years ago if you're lucky, and a big ol' catalog for you to order from which will ship slower than revzilla anyway.

There's no point in them sitting on tens of thousands of inventory just because a handful of people might buy a jacket once every 5 years. Unless you're within range of a track or some other venue that promotes people wearing full suits of not-poo poo gear it's a poor business decision to carry things that don't move.

E: Arguably doubling as a BDSM shop may not be a good choice, but usually the standard piling of cheap icon gear and the odd A* jacket is what you're gonna get unless you go out of your way to find a big gear retailer.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 11, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just let me buy my bike from Honda.com and have it delivered, at least I can watch a loving video of what a ride is like instead of having some 24 year old former Marine tell me I need to fill out a financing app before a test ride. History is ready for that whole industry to be Amazon'd out of existence.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Digital_Jesus posted:

Hate to ruin your hopes for humanity or anything, but *most* dealers stock the cheapest gear they can get because high-end doesn't sell. If someone wants to buy top quality they already know where to get it and your average walk-in customer isn't buying $200+ gloves or $600+ jackets.

They don't stock the store for you, they stock it for the average GSXR/R/CBR/Cruiser Rider. Cheap jackets, cheap gloves, cheap helmets, maybe one pair of pants from stock 4 years ago if you're lucky, and a big ol' catalog for you to order from which will ship slower than revzilla anyway.

There's no point in them sitting on tens of thousands of inventory just because a handful of people might buy a jacket once every 5 years. Unless you're within range of a track or some other venue that promotes people wearing full suits of not-poo poo gear it's a poor business decision to carry things that don't move.

E: Arguably doubling as a BDSM shop may not be a good choice, but usually the standard piling of cheap icon gear and the odd A* jacket is what you're gonna get unless you go out of your way to find a big gear retailer.

The reason I never go to the dealer though is because they never have what I want in stock. "We can order it for you" they say, but I can order it too, faster than the dealer, right to my house and dont have to drive back to the dealer. The reason I'm there is because I want whatever thing NOW and I dont want to wait for shipping.

I seriously think there may be a case in going in the reverse direction of what youre talking about, just stock a ton of poo poo and make it worth peoples while to come in instead of ordering online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I actually want them to succeed, so that's why I wish they'd figure out which niche or market they want and go for it, instead of trying to appeal to everyone. Some of that luggage has dust on it, and it's been there over a year. That poo poo's not selling, so get rid of it and find out what people want.

If I could have bought any of the gear I'm using right now locally, I would have done. But their selection is weird.