Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

I don't know that it's ever had official support, but I've always liked the idea that Johnny Storm actually has a decent understanding of science just because Reed has explained things in simple metaphors so many times. He doesn't know exactly what he's talking about, but he's basically got the gist.

It's a safe assumption. Even if he's just an average guy, he's been immersed in superscience continually for more than a decade and worked continuously as the assistant to the smartest guy out there. Johnny's head is probably full of disconnected trivia that would be helpful from time to time.

Ben, however, has to have at least a degree in engineering. He was an astronaut and they don't let guys with rocks for brains fly spacecraft. I recall one issue of FF where he actually sat down at a drafting table and designed something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Opopanax posted:

Just play Lego Marvel and pretend you're taskmaster the whole time

I pretend I'm Taskmaster when I play most games.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HitTheTargets posted:

I don't know that it's ever had official support, but I've always liked the idea that Johnny Storm actually has a decent understanding of science just because Reed has explained things in simple metaphors so many times. He doesn't know exactly what he's talking about, but he's basically got the gist.

In Waid's run he played up Johnny's natural instinct for mechanical devices. When Johnny got the Power Cosmic he suddenly had an innate understanding of how a planet's nukes worked and it surprised him as they were far more complicated than Chevy engines.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I have this image in my head of a Batman comic cover I saw as a kid where he's manspreading in his chair in the Batcave and drawn exactly like Michael Keaton. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Uthor posted:

I'm sure Namor could put this to good use.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

So, he's the Ultimate Lifeform of the sea.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

I have this image in my head of a Batman comic cover I saw as a kid where he's manspreading in his chair in the Batcave and drawn exactly like Michael Keaton. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Batman: Child of Dreams

redbackground fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 8, 2015

Unmature
May 9, 2008

redbackground posted:

Batman: Child of Dreams

Yup that's it! Thanks, that's been on my mind for like fifteen years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NOBODY CALLS THEM "SWELLFISH"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

muscles like this? posted:

NOBODY CALLS THEM "SWELLFISH"

I do, the inconsiderate fuckers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Travis343 posted:

I don't think Poison Ivy is all that smart. Smart enough to get a PhD definitely, but that doesn't count for a lot in comic books. Depending on the canon she wasn't a particularly gifted botanist, and most of the incredible plant hybrids she's able to grow and care for aren't a result of her brilliant mind but her weird non-specific plant control powers.
The stuff she invents in Zero Year ends up being super-weapon grade plant stuff, and it's before she became Poison Ivy proper.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The stuff she invents in Zero Year ends up being super-weapon grade plant stuff, and it's before she became Poison Ivy proper.

I guess this was in a tie-in? I only read the Zero Year stuff in Batman proper (and Batwoman, but that was sort of unintentional) and I don't remember Pam in that at all.

But like I said, it depends on the canon. In a lot of old comics she was just a lab assistant who was then experimented on by an evil scientist.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
She's mentioned in the main books; the Riddler steals some of her work to set up his Savage Gotham plan.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

In a lot of old comics she was just a lab assistant who was then experimented on by an evil scientist.

Like the beloved classic Batman & Robin.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Like the beloved classic Batman & Robin.

Exactly. :colbert:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I was only being half sarcastic, actually. I'm well aware of it's numerous flaws now but as a kid Batman & Robin was one of my favorite movies ever, and I still have this weird little soft spot for it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Batman and Robin is still the most thematically interesting bat movie and probably the only one really deserving multiple viewing.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

Batman and Robin is still the most thematically interesting bat movie and probably the only one really deserving multiple viewing.

Same, but with Batman Forever. I legitimately think it's the best pre-Begins Bat-movie.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The best part of this story is that the reason they were fighting is Johnny just decided "hmm I'll go be a dick to Namor and fight him that'll show everyone I'm cool!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

I would not say thematically interesting, but it is certainly good for multiple viewings.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Batman and Robin is dreck and I knew it was dreck when I was a young dumb kid who was just excited to see a Batman movie and didn't understand why the movie was wasting time watching Poison Ivy take off a gorilla suit. Try to ironically rehabilitate it all you want and it's still dreck.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
There's no irony in my claim that Batman and Robin, while certainly not a great or even good movie, is the most thematically interesting Batman film due to its treatment of the characters relating to gender and patriarchy. Remember the entirety of the plot is put into place by John Glover, who literally looks like they shoved Moses into a labcoat, devolving a woman and minority criminal into their "base states" of conniving sexpot and mindless id who has no control over base impulses. Not to mention Mr. Freeze's entire motivation is not just his dying wife but taking sole responsibility as the providing male figure in her life to save her.

It's certainly a braver stance than "angry foreigners dupe Occupy Wallstreet into attacking the rich, thank god one rich dude and the police are here to save us."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr. Maltose posted:

There's no irony in my claim that Batman and Robin, while certainly not a great or even good movie, is the most thematically interesting Batman film due to its treatment of the characters relating to gender and patriarchy.
Ah yes, the great socially forward movie featuring a fight between who gets to bone Ivy, and the gratuitous bat-rear end shots for the leads. Go Go gadget 90s girlpower!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Uh, yeah. Gratuitous rear end shots from both sexes was pretty progressive for a mid 90s superflick.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Jerry Cotton posted:

The best part of this story is that the reason they were fighting is Johnny just decided "hmm I'll go be a dick to Namor and fight him that'll show everyone I'm cool!"

I love the insanity of old Fantastic Four. I dare someone to do a write up on when Doctor Doom swapped minds with Daredevil, and then Spider-Man, Thor, and the Fantastic Four got involved.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Has "Namor possesses all fish powers" been a thing in... any comic since the 60s? I mean, I don't expect to see Namor puff up in Secret Wars, but it just seems like something that'd come up now and then when nowadays his powers boil down to "strong flying guy, also breathes water".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

TwoPair posted:

Has "Namor possesses all fish powers" been a thing in... any comic since the 60s? I mean, I don't expect to see Namor puff up in Secret Wars, but it just seems like something that'd come up now and then when nowadays his powers boil down to "strong flying guy, also breathes water".

Apparently he used them occasionally in the John Byrne-written Namor series, which would be the early '90s.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What does flying have to do with being an underwater fish man anyway? Ridiculous!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

What does flying have to do with being an underwater fish man anyway? Ridiculous!

Uh, flying fish? Duh!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
That's his mutant power.

No really. It was a Thing for awhile that any half-human/half-mostly human dude was automatically a mutant. So that'd go for Atlanteans, Eternals, Inhumans, etc.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Everybody was a mutant in the 90's because it sold books.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Namor being a mutant worked out because it turns out he's awesome on the X-Men.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I was really into comics back in the Chromium age, and I loved a bunch of lovely capes.

What are Darkhawk, Sleepwalker, Madcap and Slapstick up to nowadays?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Slapstick beat a man nearly to death the last time I saw him.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Namor being a mutant because he has little wings on his feet that let him fly was actually kind of clever, I thought; it's not something he gets from either his human or his Atlantean ancestry, it just sorta happened.

Mind you, I also recall arguments in letters pages about whether Siryn was a mutant because she inherited the same sonic powers as her father, Banshee, and so how is she a mutant if she can do the same things one of her parents can do? This was settled by pointing out that Siryn can talk at the same time she's using her sonic powers to fly while it had been established that Banshee can't do that, so that was her mutation. Which makes perfect sense while also being incredibly dumb.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SirDan3k posted:

Everybody was a mutant in the 90's because it sold books.

Even the word "mutant" sold books - that's why all those old Spider-Man comics say "THE NON-MUTANT SUPERHERO" on the cover.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

WickedHate posted:

So, he's the Ultimate Lifeform of the sea.

Sex: USELESS is not something you can describe Namor with.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Everblight posted:

I was really into comics back in the Chromium age, and I loved a bunch of lovely capes.

What are Darkhawk, Sleepwalker, Madcap and Slapstick up to nowadays?

Madcap was last seen in a Deadpool Annual as the excuse for all the text boxes in Deadpool's head while Daniel Way was writing poorly. The explanation was that he and Deadpool both got fried to a pile of Looney Tune-esque ashes by Thor and healed together into one body. Deadpool then got a couple of heroes to literally rip him in half, and one healed into a new Madcap.

Sleepwalker showed up recently at the end of James Robinson's Fantastic Four. The guy who becomes him had been intentionally not sleeping or something to avoid being Sleepwalker (I'm not familiar with the character). Anyway he got called in to help the FF because a villain had somehow gotten the Psycho-Man into Franklin Richards' dreams and gotten Franklin to unconsciously summon hosed-up poo poo/evil Heroes Reborn versions of characters to attack people. Sleepwalker (with help from Susan Richards and Namor) saved the day.

Darkhawk was in Avengers Arena and didn't die! Good for him.

And like Lurdiak said, pretty sure Slapstick's last seen location was clocking a guy over the head in the Initiative.

edit: Scratch that, Slapstick showed up in some Fear Itself mini.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 9, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's the latest on Superpro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know how it ended but at one point in Avengers Arena Darkhawk got the amulet ripped out of him and it was put in Chase from Runaways.