Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

It's not strictly a crime procedural, but from the same director you have Mother which is also a murder mystery.
That's right, I remember reading about that movie a long while ago and wanting to see it but I forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Koramei posted:

I like all three of the leads in it so I really wanted to like it but I felt like it fell apart in the last third or so. Before that it was great though.

Yeah. I don't think it carried itself very well towards the end. I think it could have made a decent mini series, around 10 episodes long. The characters could have developed a bit better.

To be honest, I started to expect an ending where pretty much everyone died. But maybe I've watched too many dark Korean/Japanese movies lately

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I watched Always yesterday. Blind girl, tough guy, roles get reversed. Not too many surprises, but at least it's entertaining.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Stare-Out posted:

Just rewatched Memories of Murder and yup, still an excellent loving movie. Are there any other movies similar to it out there worth a watch? Primarily talking about quality thrillers/crime procedurals here.

I thought Children was pretty similar.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Can any recommend any crime drama movies similar to bittersweet life, oldboy, memories of murder, i saw the devil, or the raid 2 ? I really like that sort of combination of intrigue and violence and want more.

And yes I know raid 2 isn't korean but it's very much in that style or genre.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Hbomberguy posted:

Can any recommend any crime drama movies similar to bittersweet life, oldboy, memories of murder, i saw the devil, or the raid 2 ? I really like that sort of combination of intrigue and violence and want more.

Have you seen "ajeosshi"? I think the English title is "The Man from Nowhere" or something like that

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I'll be sure to look into that ASAP. Are there any more?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Hbomberguy posted:

I'll be sure to look into that ASAP. Are there any more?

Pretty much anything by Park Chan Wook, though his movies are not so much violent fighting as hosed up psychologically

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Just rewatched Memories of Murder and yup, still an excellent loving movie. Are there any other movies similar to it out there worth a watch? Primarily talking about quality thrillers/crime procedurals here.

Zodiac (cough cough).

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008
Drug War and New World

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

I don't blame people for making this assumption honestly. It bears almost no similarity to any Indonesian film that I'm aware of, then I see that the director's this Welsh guy and it's just, oh, well that makes a lot more sense.

ladron posted:

Pretty much anything by Park Chan Wook, though his movies are not so much violent fighting as hosed up psychologically

...Well, it's obviously not what he's looking for but I'll for any excuse to promote Day Trip. No English subs because Kolon Sport hates us (I know for a fact an English sub print exists), but the dialogue's so minimal you don't really need them anyway. It's about a pansori performer and her instructor. Squint really hard and you might be able to recognize the actor as another guy who does lots of hosed up violently psychological movies.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Yeah. I'm no Indonesian film buff but my friends who are insist it's very much 'not Indonesian'. It's the exact sort of really cool mixes of influences and personal uniqueness that Welsh people seem to be all about. Every Welsh filmmaker or documentarian I know seems to be completely unique. I have a secret theory that Welsh people have no concrete national identity and are just making it up as they go along. I studied in Wales for three years so it's not racism I'm a race realist

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Zodiac (cough cough).
As in, Fincher's Zodiac? I watch it once every few months. Love the hell out of that movie.

Hbomberguy posted:

Have you seen Chaser?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I finally saw Memories of Murder and what a great movie all around - performances, cinematography, etc. Also the (second) police chief should play all police chiefs from now on.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
Hello, Korean thread. :)

I discovered SK films in, like, 2008 (probably when their interest peaked internationally? Is this a fair judgement?) and I haven't watched a new SK film since probably 2010 with I Saw the Devil.

Based on the list at Instantwatcher what would you recommend? I'm pretty open to all genres, provided the film is good.

So far I've seen the Vengeance triology, Mother, The Chaser, The Good the Bad the Weird, A Tale of Two Sisters, I Saw the Devil. Most of the critically-acclaimed ones, I guess?

I haven't seen Memories of Murder because it's never on Netflix.

The only two SK films I've watched and turned off were Thirst and The Man From Nowhere. The former because it put me to sleep -- three times -- and the latter because it felt too much like The Chaser or maybe I was just getting burned out on those types of movies at the time.

Last thought: Mother is the best one. Seriously. When she delivered that line (Do you have a mother?) I just broke.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I haven't seen a new one in a couple years either, but I strongly recommend Bedeviled.

The Tower is a fun genre disaster movie, but don't expect anything on the level of the others you've listed.

Doomsday book was an interesting collection of three short films, with differing tones.

I noticed just now that one of Ki-duk Kim's newer films Moebius is up there, anyone seen that? He can be difficult to get into from what I've seen of his movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I noticed just now that one of Ki-duk Kim's newer films Moebius is up there, anyone seen that? He can be difficult to get into from what I've seen of his movies.

Yeah! I saw it and liked it a lot. Very dark and very funny. After a while, you don't notice that there is no spoken dialog at all in the film.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you've never seen Oldboy you should go watch it right now, just don't watch the terrible american remake. New World is also good, it's basically just a Korean version of The Departed/Infernal Affairs.

Also, Snowpiercer is Bong Joon-Ho's first English language movie, and I thought it was available on netflix but I guess it's not streaming right now. You might be able to find it on amazon prime or some other streaming service though.

edit: vvv oh I'm dumb :v:

astr0man fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 2, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

oldboy is part of the vengeance trilogy. from the list, i thought the thieves was a lot of fun. its basically a 1:1 oceans 11 clone, but a fun one

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Also, if you want a change of pace from super serious dramas here's some lighthearted korean movies that are currently or at one time were available on netflix:
Sunny - one of my favorite Korean movies, it feels a lot like an 80s american movie to me (think breakfast club I guess?)
A Werewolf Boy - this was on that instawatcher list, it's cute but kind of weird
Cyrano Agency - pretty standard rom-com
200 Pounds Beauty - if you are into any Korean pop culture outside of films you might like it, otherwise you probably won't be interested. it's a rom-com but also addresses the hosed up ideas about plastic surgery in the Korean entertainment industry

In other news I finally saw Myeongryang/Roaring Currents over the weekend. I thought it was good, but nothing amazing. But I can understand why Koreans loved it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I've always wondered what the deal was there and why South Koreans are absolutely obsessed with plastic surgery.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah! I saw it and liked it a lot. Very dark and very funny. After a while, you don't notice that there is no spoken dialog at all in the film.
Rad, I will check it out.

astr0man posted:

Also, Snowpiercer is Bong Joon-Ho's first English language movie, and I thought it was available on netflix but I guess it's not streaming right now. You might be able to find it on amazon prime or some other streaming service though.
Snowpiercer is up in the US: http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70270364?trkid=13752289

I think you can still use Hola Unblocker to magically teleport yourself to other countries if you need to, although I haven't done it in a while. Also I'd recommend you check out the Snowpiercer director's earlier movie The Host if you haven't already. It's a big, fun, comedically serious movie of the kind that South Korea does so well. Up until recently, I believe it held the record for box office sales in South Korea.

edit: also check out The Good, the Bad and the Weird. It's basically what it sounds like, an over the top retelling of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Really stylish and from the director of Tale of Two Sisters and I Saw the Devil, though completely different in tone from those.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 3, 2015

qwako
Sep 11, 2009

epoch. posted:

Hello, Korean thread. :)

I discovered SK films in, like, 2008 (probably when their interest peaked internationally? Is this a fair judgement?) and I haven't watched a new SK film since probably 2010 with I Saw the Devil.

Based on the list at Instantwatcher what would you recommend? I'm pretty open to all genres, provided the film is good.

This is me exactly. Watch Breathless http://instantwatcher.com/titles/195998

It is probably my favourite SK film, even better on a second watch. I had no idea it was on netflix so im pretty happy!

I also thought Crying Fist was very good http://instantwatcher.com/titles/190103

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

qwako posted:

This is me exactly. Watch Breathless http://instantwatcher.com/titles/195998

I also thought Crying Fist was very good http://instantwatcher.com/titles/190103

Both of these are really, really good and whoever hasn't seen them should. I keep meaning to rewatch Breathless but it's just such a downer.

Some more from epoch's netflix list:
Rough Cut is a gangster/comedy about an rear end in a top hat action star who always hurts his stuntmen. Since he's filming a gangster movie and none of the stuntmen will work with him anymore, he gets the great idea to hire and actual gangster. Gangster agrees to do the fight scenes with him, but only if they do them for realsies. I haven't seen it in a long time but I remember enjoying it.

Musa usually gets good reviews from people, although it's a bit old now so I'm not sure how it holds up. All I remember about it was that it's basically a Dynasty Warriors game but in movie form.

Never seen Woochi cause it looked a bit silly for me, but it got recommended a couple times in the original thread I think.
Been meaning to give Masquerade a watch, again it got good reviews in the thread (and it stars Byung-hun Lee).

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 5, 2015

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Woochi is pretty fun, but extremely silly, yeah.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
So, this is hilarious. I had no idea, but there's a Korean version of SNL (Saturday Night Live). They recently did a spoof of 50 Shades of Grey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU0yHAtqe4k

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Just saw A Girl At My Door. Enjoyed the hell out of it. (Anyone know the song that plays in the end scene? It's so soothing.)

Any recs for more stuff that's low-key and evocative, similar tonally and in pacing to Girl At My Door or Milyang?

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I haven't seen a new one in a couple years either, but I strongly recommend Bedeviled.

The Tower is a fun genre disaster movie, but don't expect anything on the level of the others you've listed.

Doomsday book was an interesting collection of three short films, with differing tones.

Moebius is a pretty hosed up movie but it's so ridiculous and over the top.Also there is no spoken dialogue. I liked it but I like all of his movies.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I just watched Flu and loved every second of it. It helps that I'm really into pandemic type stories and scenarios.

I'm still trying to figure out what I really liked about it though. Maybe it was the diversity of events that occur in the movie. Did anyone else like this movie? Are there any other movies like this one?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Revitalized posted:

I just watched Flu and loved every second of it. It helps that I'm really into pandemic type stories and scenarios.

I'm still trying to figure out what I really liked about it though. Maybe it was the diversity of events that occur in the movie. Did anyone else like this movie? Are there any other movies like this one?

I am watching it right now thanks to you :) It is pretty good, I am also a sucker for these kinds of movies.

The over the top acting and retarded social interactions in Korean movies are something I am still getting used too. Example: After he rescues the women.... I wanted to slap her. :)

The 28 Days later-esque sound track is pretty cool.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

astr0man posted:

A Werewolf Boy - this was on that instawatcher list, it's cute but kind of weirs

Yo this was cute but it's hella sad too.

I need to watch more Kim Ki-Duk though, really liked Time and 3-Iron.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Akarshi posted:

Yo this was cute but it's hella sad too.

I need to watch more Kim Ki-Duk though, really liked Time and 3-Iron.

Pieta and Moebius are really awesome.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I watched Haemoo (Sea Fog). There's a kinda contrived love story weaved into it and it could have been cut by like a solid half hour for pacing. The second half of the movie is fairly decent though. People going nuts on a boat and all.

Nat
Apr 3, 2012
Thread of Lies - Dealing with the aftermath of a suicide, the story follows the mother, daughter and those who came in contact with daughter before and after her suicide.

The movie itself is told in a non-linear format to give the viewer a broader understanding of what each character is going through, and it's no less than perfect in its execution. Fairly uplifting at times, comedic, and really, really sad. The entire cast is superb in their performance, and the story itself is well grounded enough to be believable in a real life situation. I'm not one to cry during movies, but this is the one that really hit me. Without saying anymore, I would recommend it to just about anyone.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
New World(2013) is pretty much Infernal Affairs crossed with The Godfather. It's a really patient, well shot and clever crime film which slowly builds up to a great climax. Also, has the best elevator stabbing scene ever filmed.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Stay far, far away from the recent string of soulless action/revenge thrillers that include Commitment, Hwayi: The Monster Boy, Hide and Seek, The Suspect and Monster.

They're all horrible.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Yeah I didn't care for Commitment.

I also didn't care for No Tears For The Dead. Nice action but good lord everything else was bad. What a shitshow.

I highly recommend Kundo: Age Of The Rampant. Thought it was very entertaining.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

What about Assassination? Sounds like it could be a lot of crazy action but might also be a mess.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I'm seeing most of the movies I'd recommend on this page. Has A Hard Day been recommended yet? If not, it should. It's a well-made thriller that is more than what is initially shown on the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Vegetable posted:

I watched Haemoo (Sea Fog). There's a kinda contrived love story weaved into it and it could have been cut by like a solid half hour for pacing. The second half of the movie is fairly decent though. People going nuts on a boat and all.
I saw this recently as well and I agree that the love story felt pretty forced but the overall story was interesting enough and really well realized. Kinda nuts that it's based on a true story, too.

• Locked thread