Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Try to keep it close to you so it can better pick up your voice. The mic is absurdly quiet for me so I absolutely need to use compression on all the audio I record.

Any tips for compression? I've been messing with it, but it's one of those things I'm not sure if I need or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I've been working a lot with overlays and I thought it'd be nice if I could switch to ApplyRange or use a custom function to quickly throw an overlay onto a certain range of a clip, instead of constantly using Trim. That kinda works ok, as long as I'm not trying to use an animated overlay.

This is the code I'm currently testing things with:

code:
video1 = ffvideosource("P1.mp4", fpsnum=60)
audio1 = ffaudiosource("P1.mp4")
audiodub(video1, audio1)
A = Trim(0, 800) .fadein(60) .ConverttoRGB32()

Text1 = imagesource("E:\Fraps\Text1\Text%02d.png", pixel_type="RGB32", fps=20, start=1, end=33) .ChangeFPS(60)

A = Applyrange(A, 50, 300, "Layer", Text1)
A
Text1 is an animation of 33 letters, appearing one after the other. I assumed that with Applyrange(A, 50, 300, "Layer", Text1), the range would take precedence over the layering, but apparently it's the other way around and the animation seems to be already halfway done by that point. If I were to use the range 500, 600, the animation would already have fully played out and all I'm getting is the last image for a 100 frames. If I'm working with animated overlays of definite length (so no loops), is the only way I'm going to get this to work by using Trim to confine an animation to a certain frame-range?

Also, usually I use Overlay instead of Layer, so I don't have to use ConvertToRGB32() on the whole clip, but without mask=showalpha in my Overlay, the transparency doesn't work, and Applyrange doesn't allow for something like Overlay(A, Text1, mask=text1.showalpha). Is there any good reason why I should be using either Overlay or Layer?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Overlay internally converts the color format, so repeated use could degrade the image color. Layer is better.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Old function from anime fansubbing:
code:
function insertsign(clip mainclip, clip overlayclip, int startframe, int "endframe") {
	endframe = default(endframe,startframe+overlayclip.framecount()-1)
	endframe = (endframe == 0) ? startframe+overlayclip.framecount()-1 : endframe
	endframe = (endframe >= mainclip.framecount()-1) ? mainclip.framecount()-1 : endframe 

begin	= (startframe == 1) ? mainclip.trim(0,-1) : mainclip.trim(0,startframe-1)
	middle	= mainclip.trim(startframe,endframe)
	end	= (endframe == mainclip.framecount()-1) ? blankclip(mainclip,length=0) : mainclip.trim(endframe+1,0)

middleoverlay = Overlay(middle, overlayclip, mask=overlayclip.showalpha())

final = (startframe == 0) ? middleoverlay ++ end : begin ++ middleoverlay ++ end
	return final
}
It can be used with either static images (loaded with imagesource) or with video overlays (that have alpha channel).
It was originally written to help with adding overlays produced in Adobe After Effects onto videos.

quote:

How to use it:
1. Copy-paste the code into an empty text document and rename it to .avsi (not .avs).
2. Put the .avsi in your Avisynth plugins directory.
3. Use the function insertsign(), like so:
The function takes 3 arguments (and one optional one: endframe):
code:
insertsign(clip, overlayclip, startframe [, endframe])
Clip is the video you want to overlay the picture/AFX sign on. In 99% of all cases, this should be "last" (without the quotes).
Overlayclip is the AFX sign/picture you want to overlay. The function expects this to be a RGB32 clip with a transparency mask.
Startframe is the frame in "clip" where the overlaying should start.
Endframe is the frame in "clip" where the overlay should end; this parameter is optional and if you don't specify it (or set it to 0), it will default to startframe+length of the overlayclip.
Example usage:
code:
avisource("X:/stuff/source.avi")
sign1 = avisource("X:/stuff/afx-sign.avi")
logo = imagesource("X:/stuff/logo.png", pixel_type="RGB32", end=100)

insertsign(last, logo, 0)
insertsign(last, sign1, 563, 900)

I guess you can change Overlay for Layer in the function and just drop the mask parameter from the Overlay usage.
You could even modify it to just take a filename for an overlay picture, and have it load the picture and overlay it in one go.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Touchfuzzy posted:

Any tips for compression? I've been messing with it, but it's one of those things I'm not sure if I need or not.

I kinda just use the default compression in audacity/audition and call it a day.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

nielsm posted:

Old function from anime fansubbing:
It can be used with either static images (loaded with imagesource) or with video overlays (that have alpha channel).
It was originally written to help with adding overlays produced in Adobe After Effects onto videos.

/code\

Holy poo poo this works flawlessly and a ton faster than all the bumbling about I'm used to. Thanks a lot.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I use these compression settings for my snowball mic, and it works well for me so far.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Faerie Fortune posted:

my G930 that is literally falling apart.

Out of curiosity, just how badly is it falling apart? My husband also has a G930 that I've repaired on several occasions (the mic broke off, both ear cups also, uh... fell off... wow this headset isn't very robust is it...) (Also he bent and broke the USB connector in the dongle for it and I fixed that too) - it's kind of a nice headset so if it might be repairable in some fashion - you can get replacement cloth style ear pad spares sine it takes the same type as eg the G430 etc it too if the leatherette ones have disintegrated, also.

Of course, this is moot if you've already thrown it in the bin.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

The thingies that attach to the right earcup just cracked one day, and from there everything just started cracking and falling apart to the point where the right side is an earcup dangling by a wire because it doesn't slot into the actual band any more. Right now my solution is about half a mile of electrical tape holding it together, but I put in a warranty claim with logitech and they're replacing it for me for free so its not a big deal and was a nice excuse to get the snowball which is a thing I wanted to do anyway!

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Faerie Fortune posted:

The thingies that attach to the right earcup just cracked one day, and from there everything just started cracking and falling apart to the point where the right side is an earcup dangling by a wire because it doesn't slot into the actual band any more. Right now my solution is about half a mile of electrical tape holding it together, but I put in a warranty claim with logitech and they're replacing it for me for free so its not a big deal and was a nice excuse to get the snowball which is a thing I wanted to do anyway!

Yeah, that failure pattern with 'dangling by a wire' sounds about right - from everything we've seen online, it's a super common point of failure, followed by the ear cushion coating disintegrating - glad to hear they're replacing them for you, but, honestly, I'd expect that it will happen again? Like you can even get 3d printed 3rd party replacement parts. I have a set of G430s that are showing stress lines on the plastic on one side too so I'm expecting it in my future. Like honestly idk if Logitech ask to have everyone's set that breaks posted back to them, but if they do there's gotta be some pretty massive rooms full of these G headsets that have busted in this exact way.

I didn't realise the G930s had a 3 year warranty, I figured yours might not've been covered and you were getting something else or something, but I guess never mind - I'm kind of into repairing stuff but knowing where to get the relevant odds and ends here in the UK isn't usually very useful to people on SA - doesn't break my heart as much as all the mice people get rid of when they start double clicking. While my husband's did break within warranty, but he didn't want to pursue it when they asked for the UPC since he'd lost the packing - nowerdays his are mostly full of superglue and epoxy (to keep the ear cups' pivoting mechanisms in one piece they'd punched through the plastic) - still working after about 4 years though, with the perk that the ear cups are slightly further apart now and are a better fit for his comically large head.

The mic on the 930 honestly didn't seem to be the best though, so, here's hoping the snowball works out well and is a nice improvement!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Does NullDC have mic support? I wanna do a LP of Seaman but I don't have a Dreamcast.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Does NullDC have mic support? I wanna do a LP of Seaman but I don't have a Dreamcast.
Nope; pretty much every emulator doesn't have mic support. Which is sad cause we're all screwed on ever seeing 'Hey you, Pikachu' or the PS2 classic 'Lifeline'.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Huh, I would think that'd be one of the simpler things to put in an emulator given how ubiquitous PC mics are.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
So I got an Elgato Game Capture HD. I usually record with someone over Skype, so for console stuff I have to split out the audio and send it through voicemeeter so they can hear it.

The problem I'm having is that the Elgato doesn't show up as an audio source in VM, so I have to split it and send it in as microphone input. This works fine for non-HDMI devices, but I can't think of a way to do this with stuff that only outputs through HDMI.

All I can think of is to buy a small tv and split it out that way, and that's not in the budget right now. Is there another method I'm not thinking of?

e: I also didn't think of how I would share the video. I usually use screen share on skype, but that won't work well with this because of the lag. Is there any way I can easily do this too? or am I SOL?

e2: I also didn't think of how I would get sound from HDMI stuff, but I think there's a good chance I'm boned on that front

e3: I got it all handled. Please disregard this.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 2, 2015

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Niggurath posted:

Nope; pretty much every emulator doesn't have mic support. Which is sad cause we're all screwed on ever seeing 'Hey you, Pikachu' or the PS2 classic 'Lifeline'.

Unless people have the actual console, game, and microphone. I've streamed Lifeline before, and I'd gladly do an LP of it, but I'd undoubtedly have to record my voice commands in real-time - I'd probably have to do something like stream it to co-commentators and do it live to keep things interesting, which would get complicated given my setup. I just don't think it's interesting enough for a solo LP.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Nidoking posted:

Unless people have the actual console, game, and microphone. I've streamed Lifeline before, and I'd gladly do an LP of it, but I'd undoubtedly have to record my voice commands in real-time - I'd probably have to do something like stream it to co-commentators and do it live to keep things interesting, which would get complicated given my setup. I just don't think it's interesting enough for a solo LP.
Yeah, I guess I should have prefaced by saying that while the systems and games are still feasibly available, realistically emulation won't be the way to go.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Huh, I would think that'd be one of the simpler things to put in an emulator given how ubiquitous PC mics are.
Sadly I'm not super knowledgeable as to the 'why' it doesn't work but I assumed it was due to the fact that normally the USB input would be going straight into the system and for emulation it would have to find some way to adequately get this USB input and get it properly recognized by the emulator. I'm sure there's some complication to it all that's just beyond me.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Hey, I'm trying to record something from my browser using Shadowplay. Desktop capture is enabled but I can't get it to actually start recording. Google searches only turned up threads where people needed to turn on/off Aero or do regedits to enable desktop capture, nothing on actually starting it. The key combination does not work.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Wol posted:

Complete newbie here with no coding knowledge, making my first video ever. Recording the PC version of Mass Effect 2, religiously following Kung-Fu Jesus' "Fraps to MeGUI" guide in the OP from start to finish (so I'm using Fraps, AviSynth, VirtualDubMod and MeGUI). It's spat out this (no commentary yet, want to solve one problem at a time). Does this video look OK? Is there anything in particular I've obviously messed up? MeGUI told me to add "ConvertToYV12()" onto the end of my AviSynth script and I did that, should I have? This video looks kind of bad to me (a little blurry, a little choppy, a little laggy), but I've also been staring at it in various stages of processing for hours, so I probably don't have much of a perspective on it anymore.

I think this post got kind of lost but it looks fine to me. Yes to ConvertToYV12. Maybe it seems laggy to you because Fraps caps at a maximum of 30fps and the actual game has a higher framerate?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm having trouble with my elgato. It works just fine when it's just plugged in to my computer, but when I activate the Game Capture HD app it constantly disconnects and reconnects. This happens regardless of what USB port I use. I've tried reinstalling both the drivers and the app itself.

e: Nvm, turned out to be an issue with the USB cable.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 3, 2015

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
How do I get rid of the audio reverbon my headset?
People were complaining about this on my stream. I got a Symph gamign headset by the way.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Do you mean reverb as in echo from your room or where you echoing just in the stream? Since you said stream, I'm wondering if you were monitoring your audio such that whatever you were streaming from was picking up your headset audio twice. If that's the case, you'd need to fix your streaming setup such that your audio only shows up in the stream once.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Niggurath posted:

The hugest technical nightmare I had to face during cooking mama was getting DeSmuME to accept blowing on the microphone as a thing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Huh, commentary I recorded in audacity ended up with a gradual desync. Anyone know why that might have happened?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

davidspackage posted:

I think this post got kind of lost but it looks fine to me. Yes to ConvertToYV12. Maybe it seems laggy to you because Fraps caps at a maximum of 30fps and the actual game has a higher framerate?

Thanks! I don't think it's because of Fraps though, the video post-meGUI and pre-youtube seemed just fine to me. Ah well! Onwards we go!

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Genocyber posted:

Huh, commentary I recorded in audacity ended up with a gradual desync. Anyone know why that might have happened?

I have a couple of ideas. What exactly are you doing? Are you commentating over a pre-recorded video or are you commentating live? And did your commentary become earlier or later?

In either case the answer is likely that one recording lagged while the other didn't. If you're recording from different devices it's also possible to have clock skew introduced that way as they'll be operating off different clocks. (Different devices in this case means like a USB headset and game audio.) Professional recording devices that keep everything in sync get, well, kind of crazy - it's a harder problem than you might think!

How to fix it depends on exactly what the problem is but the short answer may end up being "you can't."

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

I have a couple of ideas. What exactly are you doing? Are you commentating over a pre-recorded video or are you commentating live? And did your commentary become earlier or later?

In either case the answer is likely that one recording lagged while the other didn't. If you're recording from different devices it's also possible to have clock skew introduced that way as they'll be operating off different clocks. (Different devices in this case means like a USB headset and game audio.) Professional recording devices that keep everything in sync get, well, kind of crazy - it's a harder problem than you might think!

How to fix it depends on exactly what the problem is but the short answer may end up being "you can't."

I was doing live commentary, and my commentary ended up becoming later.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Genocyber posted:

This is a shot in the dark, but maybe you recorded at 48 kHz, and your video editor is set to 44.1 kHz?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Genocyber posted:

I need more than that. Are we talking a couple of seconds over several hours? If that's the case, you're probably screwed and it's just clock skew.

It's also possible that the live game recording skipped frames at some point so that you're going out of sync because frames are just missing, effectively causing the game recording to "skip ahead." In that case, you're likely screwed unless you can figure out what's causing frames to be lost and how to fix it.

Depending on how bad it is, you may be able to get away with just stretching the audio to match the video. There's a guide to doing that on the TSF wiki.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

I need more than that. Are we talking a couple of seconds over several hours? If that's the case, you're probably screwed and it's just clock skew.

Yeah, the commentary ends up being several seconds after the video footage towards the end of the video, when it's synced up just fine at the beginning of the video.

quote:

It's also possible that the live game recording skipped frames at some point so that you're going out of sync because frames are just missing, effectively causing the game recording to "skip ahead." In that case, you're likely screwed unless you can figure out what's causing frames to be lost and how to fix it.

Depending on how bad it is, you may be able to get away with just stretching the audio to match the video. There's a guide to doing that on the TSF wiki.

Yeah I've tried that, and some parts end up synced while others are not (e.g. I can get it synced up for a few minutes at a certain point, but before and after that it will still be desynced). I'll probably try chopping the commentary up into segments and fiddling with them as needed to make them fit.

I'm not so much looking for ways to fix it as reasons as to why it might have happened, so it doesn't happen again. My recording setup is the same, aside from me using a new microphone (used to use a Playstation Silver Headset, now I'm using a Blue Snowball mic).

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Genocyber posted:

Yeah I've tried that, and some parts end up synced while others are not (e.g. I can get it synced up for a few minutes at a certain point, but before and after that it will still be desynced).

This makes it sound like your problem is almost certainly with the game play recording skipping frames. The way to prevent that from happening is reducing whatever the bottleneck is that prevents it from being able to record all frames - which in these days is more likely to be disc write speed than anything else. Without knowing what you're recording from and how you're recording that's the best I can say. But it sounds like the gameplay recording is just missing frames at parts, which would explain why it would run short and why the desync wouldn't be constant.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

I've had that problem with my audio. In races, I could tell it was the audio that was the issue and not the video, because my audio fell out of sync with the audio of the other racers, as well. I ended up just finding the sync point at the start, a sync point at the end, and stretching my own audio from those 2 points. Any distortion on the sound was completely unnoticeable and it synced up just fine.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I've only done and kept one live recording, because this sort of thing tends to happen depending on your capture setup. What I did was encode the video and watch for moments when it was obvious there had been desync, find an appropriate period of silence in the commentary, and trim it down until the later portion matched up. Then I repeated the process until the end of the video. It was a fair amount of work, but in the end, I don't think anyone could tell that there had been desync at all.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
I have an interesting quandary for the thread. Whenever I am streaming to Hitbox via OBS I typically split my stream into hour long segments by hitting the "Stop Streaming" button on OBS after the first hour. I then typically wait about 30 seconds and then hit the "Start Streaming" button to continue the stream. The problem I am facing is that whenever I look at the Recordings tab on my Video Manager on Hitbox after I am finished streaming I see that the second portion is sometimes just several short segments instead of one hour long portion. Can someone explain why this is happening and what I can do to prevent it? This issue has happened on Twitch as well, but it is a lot more seldom than when it happens on Hitbox.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 10, 2015

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
So, I installed Windows 10 like a dumbass, and now I can't get Amarec to pick up any sound from my DVC100. I haven't changed any settings since it worked properly in Win7, but no sound. Anyone else had this problem and managed to get it working again?

edit: Well I tried a stupid idea that shouldn't do anything, but just changing which USB port I'm using worked. Computers are dum. :argh:

Tendales fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 11, 2015

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Slightly different question:

I use the Firefox addon Downloadhelper a lot to get videos off Youtube, like downloading some LP videos to watch later on a different device. Seems that lately, it only gives me so-called "ADP" links to videos, which it claims requires a converter to actually download and put back together. I hesitantly installed it and wouldn't you know it, it smacks a big fat watermark of a QR code on the video which you can get rid of by buying a license. I'm assuming the Downloadhelper guys are using a not-so-admirable method of getting people to pay for the addon, or Youtube has just continued its consistent stride to make its service worse.

Anyway, question: is there a good alternative to Downloadhelper for Firefox?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Download YouTube Enhancer 2.0, it adds an audio and video download function and Youtube Enhancer is also Good.

Alternatively, you can try "Download Flash & Video" but I think YouTube/Google have that blocked, in a way that it only ever downloads 0 kb loving files. it's not blocked.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 11, 2015

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lunethex posted:

Download YouTube Enhancer 2.0, it adds an audio and video download function and Youtube Enhancer is also Good.

Alternatively, you can try "Download Flash & Video" but I think YouTube/Google have that blocked, in a way that it only ever downloads 0 kb loving files. it's not blocked.

Rad and groovy, thanks. This works much better.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

Tendales posted:

So, I installed Windows 10 like a dumbass, and now I can't get Amarec to pick up any sound from my DVC100. I haven't changed any settings since it worked properly in Win7, but no sound. Anyone else had this problem and managed to get it working again?

edit: Well I tried a stupid idea that shouldn't do anything, but just changing which USB port I'm using worked. Computers are dum. :argh:

If it's an audio issue have you tried re-installing the drivers for the onboard soundcard?
I installed windows 10 and couldn't get audacity to work till I went the the manufacturer website for the motherboard and download a new set of sound drivers. After that Audacity worked just fine.
I use a usb headset and still needed to have the onboard drivers updated before I could get the program to work correctly.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

davidspackage posted:

Slightly different question:

I use the Firefox addon Downloadhelper a lot to get videos off Youtube, like downloading some LP videos to watch later on a different device. Seems that lately, it only gives me so-called "ADP" links to videos, which it claims requires a converter to actually download and put back together. I hesitantly installed it and wouldn't you know it, it smacks a big fat watermark of a QR code on the video which you can get rid of by buying a license. I'm assuming the Downloadhelper guys are using a not-so-admirable method of getting people to pay for the addon, or Youtube has just continued its consistent stride to make its service worse.

Anyway, question: is there a good alternative to Downloadhelper for Firefox?

I noticed that too. It turns out it was caused by some format change at YouTube and a new version is technically out but hasn't been queued for an automatic update yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
FlashGot also works incredibly well. Its the one I use. It also lets you download files in different resolutions and formats, including audio only if you don't need the video for anything.

My only warning is be sure to double check your downloads after its done because sometimes it likes to give you and unplayable garbage .webm file if you pick the wrong option and you'll need to download the correct format all over again.