Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

HughGRect posted:

Aegis yes, don't go by Funcoms gearing requirements. They have never been able to predict that properly, if you have trouble with Laughterhouse, then expect to have issues here. Otherwise expect another dungeon that gives a weekends worth of challenge before the cookie cutter guides trivialize it.

I always loved Slaughterhouse. Well elite, because no one would take me to nightmare, that was for the leetest poopsockers only. But even elite was a loving nightmare because every pubbie was awful at it and Funcom is awful at balancing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

orcane posted:

I always loved Slaughterhouse. Well elite, because no one would take me to nightmare, that was for the leetest poopsockers only. But even elite was a loving nightmare because every pubbie was awful at it and Funcom is awful at balancing things.

In Funcoms defense, NKL-107 (second boss) was self aware and unable to be controlled. NKL-107 is going to be in Terminator 7 as the new Skynet.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Kessel posted:

Are people having that much trouble with the penthouse? I cleared it with a grab bag of 10.2 and 3 gear and 1.4 AEGIS, and didn't think it was that terrible as long as you stayed mobile.

To be fair, I haven't tried the penthouse at all, even the elite version. I'm just going by what I've heard, which admittedly does come from pubbies.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I really wish this game had controller support. It would make playing it so much easier.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I really wish this game had controller support. It would make playing it so much easier.

I used XPadder to play with a controller. The only times I had to switch to keyboard/mouse was when I was doing the Cost of Magic, the New York Raid and the final boss in Facility. I found the jumping puzzle in Cost of Magic easier with mouse move. During the retreat transitions in the raid I found that I had trouble turning around fast enough to avoid getting insta-gibbed. The final boss in Facility choked up my computer during the Filth puddle phase, which made it difficult to use the controller and not die.

I do wish the game had native support for controllers, but the third party option was good enough for running around while doing missions and group dungeons. It even worked pretty well in the pvp maps.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

HughGRect posted:

I used XPadder to play with a controller. The only times I had to switch to keyboard/mouse was when I was doing the Cost of Magic, the New York Raid and the final boss in Facility. I found the jumping puzzle in Cost of Magic easier with mouse move. During the retreat transitions in the raid I found that I had trouble turning around fast enough to avoid getting insta-gibbed. The final boss in Facility choked up my computer during the Filth puddle phase, which made it difficult to use the controller and not die.

I do wish the game had native support for controllers, but the third party option was good enough for running around while doing missions and group dungeons. It even worked pretty well in the pvp maps.

Well, I've only got a ps4 controller. I use inputmapper, but I dont know if it will work with TSW. I might as well try it. How do you simulate your ability bar?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Well, I've only got a ps4 controller. I use inputmapper, but I dont know if it will work with TSW. I might as well try it. How do you simulate your ability bar?

A is for jumping, then I would use the X, Y and B buttons for the standard builder, consumer and consumer. To access the other four active weapon abilities I would use Left Trigger + A,B,X, or Y. Right bumper was my aux weapon. Left and right on the D-pad for the reusable stat potions, down on the D-pad was for my Karma Curio, and up was for looting bags.

Edit: Right Trigger was my Push-To-Talk for mumble, Left Bumper was for targeting the next baddie, the back button was for the map.

It has been awhile, I think the loot bag interaction and NPC interaction used to the same key. But I was able to do both from the controller.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 4, 2015

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

HughGRect posted:

A is for jumping, then I would use the X, Y and B buttons for the standard builder, consumer and consumer. To access the other four active weapon abilities I would use Left Trigger + A,B,X, or Y. Right bumper was my aux weapon. Left and right on the D-pad for the reusable stat potions, down on the D-pad was for my Karma Curio, and up was for looting bags.

Edit: Right Trigger was my Push-To-Talk for mumble, Left Bumper was for targeting the next baddie, the back button was for the map.

It has been awhile, I think the loot bag interaction and NPC interaction used to the same key. But I was able to do both from the controller.

If you could give me that as keyboard bindings, I'd be really grateful.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Conversion numbers

https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?87234

quote:

Current Currency Value Updated Currency Value in issue 12
1 Black Bullion 10 Black Bullion
1 Sequin of Solomon Island 1 Black Bullion
1 Sequin of the Valley of the Sun God 2 Black Bullion
1 Sequin of Transylvania 3 Black Bullion
1 Sequin of Sunrise 6 Black Bullion
1 Aureus of Initiation 3 Black Bullion
1 Credit of Ca'd'Oro 5 Black Bullion
1 Black Mark of Venice 3 Black Bullion
30 White Mark of Venice 1 Black Bullion

We will also be adding a cap to the currency, which will be as follow:
Max amount of Black Bullion for Non-subscribers: 2000
Max amount of Black Bullion for Subscribers: 2400

It is recommend that you try to spend as much of the existing currencies before Issue 12 goes live.
In the event that you still end up over the cap on release day, all extra bullion over that cap will be converted to PAX Romana at the following exchange rate.
1 converted Black Bullion over the cap = 200 PAX

Phone posting so apologies for formatting errors.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
That's not horrible unless you hit the cap and after that 200 Pax per gently caress right off, that's insultingly low.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Some rumored conversion rates on the testlive servers:

Blue signet bag = 375 BB
10.1 Talisman = 450 BB (special signets = 240 BB)
Gylph Upgrade = 200 BB
Talisman Upgrade = 200 BB
Weapon Upgrade = 400 BB

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did they change dungeon drops rates? or can you only get like 38 a day?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tenzarin posted:

Did they change dungeon drops rates? or can you only get like 38 a day?

According to the link:
"We want everyone to play TSW “The way they want to play”, so this currency will be rewarded for completing dungeons, and also missions, scenarios, pvp, etc... "

So, you'll be getting them from non-dungeon sources.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Also yes they did change the drop rates. One old BB is equivalent to ten new BB. So nightmare bosses will drop BB in multiples of 10. For doing 18s you'd get 100 total per dungeon, 300 all up each day if that's all you do. So the rate of progression if you do solely nightmares is exactly the same as it is now, just with the numbers a bit higher and the added bonus of also getting BB for other stuff.

ransim
Oct 8, 2012

abi in malam crucem
Here are the prices from Testlive:

As of Aug 7 - full prices by zone/vendor type - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GhWXWMBpmr-QIA2VYptngKvBkVPE00h2jJ1xkEgSZ7s/edit?usp=sharing

Some pulled out from the doc:

Custom Talismans = 300 BB
Custom Weapons = 300 BB
Custom glyph upgrade = 200 BB
Custom Talisman upgrade = 200 BB
Nightwatch glyph toolkit = 250 BB
Custom Weapon upgade = 400 BB
Superior custom Talisman Upgrade = 200 BB + 70 MoP
Criterion Upgrade = 250 BB + 40 MoP
Astral Fuse = 250 BB + 40 MoP
Superior custom weapon upgrade = 200 BB + 80 MoP

All Venice gear/vendors are gone.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
So many great changes, I just wish I didn't buy all those random grab bags with my stored up Transylvania sequins. I am really looking forward to playing again in mid October when the holiday season kicks off.

Edit: When are these changes supposed to hit?

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.

TracerM17 posted:

So many great changes, I just wish I didn't buy all those random grab bags with my stored up Transylvania sequins. I am really looking forward to playing again in mid October when the holiday season kicks off.

Edit: When are these changes supposed to hit?

Yeah, I went on a bag buying spree to get rid of my low level sequins when I started playing again in May. Whoops! But I do like that now I can continue duoing with my only friend who plays this game and still actually progress.

Unless things have changed since I paid attention a month ago, they are planning to release issue 12 and these changes this month sometime.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Returning player here, pre-ordered TSW and was in love with the setting/story; however my PC couldn't run it very well and after the free trial period ended for a few of my friends I was stuck playing alone and ran out of steam. I never progressed past Solomon Island, but I really, really enjoyed the "Mysteries" and other puzzle based missions. I'm thinking of rerolling entirely, but I am kind of worried about starting over in Solomon island... again. Any of the DLC worth it, from a story standpoint? I will probably be playing this solo for the time being.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Ziji posted:

Returning player here, pre-ordered TSW and was in love with the setting/story; however my PC couldn't run it very well and after the free trial period ended for a few of my friends I was stuck playing alone and ran out of steam. I never progressed past Solomon Island, but I really, really enjoyed the "Mysteries" and other puzzle based missions. I'm thinking of rerolling entirely, but I am kind of worried about starting over in Solomon island... again. Any of the DLC worth it, from a story standpoint? I will probably be playing this solo for the time being.

DLC is worth it from a story perspective. If MMO's were tv series the recent DLC ends season 1. You have to be invested in the story of the secret world though to get anything out of it. The new missions are interesting and add some neat mechanics. Im talking about the Tokyo DLC.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I'm kind of heartbroken that this game runs so poorly on my PC, I've done what I can but I'd say it's only tolerable for about 50-60% of the time any given play session. Lag where my character is standing still and gliding across the floor, or engaging an enemy only to find that the only thing animated are damage numbers -- no movement from my character or the enemies. I've gone from DX11 down to DX9 and turned down (or completely off) the extraneous filter settings. I'll put my rig below, but considering that I've been dragging my rear end with upgrading my OS, I almost want to blame Vista just because it'd be nice if my upgrade to Windows 10 in the near future would fix it.

Windows Vista 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
4094MB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (old as gently caress I know)

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

Exmond posted:

DLC is worth it from a story perspective. If MMO's were tv series the recent DLC ends season 1. You have to be invested in the story of the secret world though to get anything out of it. The new missions are interesting and add some neat mechanics. Im talking about the Tokyo DLC.

Good to know, I'm going to play through all the content I have now before buying all the DLC (or getting it piecemeal). As someone who never got very far in the story, does your Faction truly matter or is it just for PVP? Like, does one particular faction have the shittiest story missions compared to others?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-abUtRbUS_U

I would say the graphics card is the least of your problem, you really need more RAM. With those specs you should probably get an entirely new computer.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

Morglon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-abUtRbUS_U

I would say the graphics card is the least of your problem, you really need more RAM. With those specs you should probably get an entirely new computer.

I don't disagree (and I am saving to do so), but I do find it odd that The Secret World runs so badly when other games that, I feel, have more going on visually run so much better. I obviously can't run games on ultra, but putting them at reasonable settings still allows them to run and not chug like TSW does.

Mondlicht fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 9, 2015

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Could anyone hook me up with a buddy key? Want to give the game a try before I buy it.

I have PMs and my email is NeitzeyT@gmail.com

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Sent. Also yeah the game should run a lot better than it does but here we are.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mondlicht posted:

I don't disagree (and I am saving to do so), but I do find it odd that The Secret World runs so badly when other games that, I feel, have more going on visually run so much better. I obviously can't run games on ultra, but putting them at reasonable settings still allows them to run and not chug like TSW does.

I was playing it on slightly better hardware (Q9550, also 4GB RAM, GeForce GTX 560 Ti) for ages, performance was never stellar but it was never THAT bad. For what it looks like, the game is terrible for running as badly as it does, but I'd expect you to have low framerates, not what you describe. If your animations don't play, I want to say it's either network issues (but then I guess floating combat text wouldn't appear?) or a slow or dying hard disk.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Looks like it's time to spend some billion. I have like 1.5k banked and I will not let it become pax. gently caress that.

Edit: I've got 2.5k. What's the new tank/dps/leech metas? I'll make some gear sets this evening.

Len fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 10, 2015

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Ziji posted:

Good to know, I'm going to play through all the content I have now before buying all the DLC (or getting it piecemeal). As someone who never got very far in the story, does your Faction truly matter or is it just for PVP? Like, does one particular faction have the shittiest story missions compared to others?

Faction matters for perspective on the overarching story. Illuminati is the most hilarious and clear cut. Dragon is vague and talks in riddles but reveals the most lore. Templar is for people who think demons are bad and we gotta kill bad things rarara.

Dragon also "Wins" tokyo and has the biggest change overall after the events of tokyo

If the game is running like garbage make sure you are not running DX10. DX10 is poorly optimzed for their game engine.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Funny, I just switched from 9 to 11 and actually gained FPS. No, I don't know why.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Ziji posted:

Illumanit is the best faction for both faction missions and regular mission end of mission reports because the Illumanti handler is amazing. I was truly touched by what they did at the end of Tokyo.

Exmond posted:

If the game is running like garbage make sure you are not running DX10. DX10 is poorly optimzed for their game engine.

True story, I just did this and was able to see tons of important details again like, laser trip wires and electrified floors.

Len posted:

Looks like it's time to spend some billion. I have like 1.5k banked and I will not let it become pax. gently caress that.

Edit: I've got 2.5k. What's the new tank/dps/leech metas? I'll make some gear sets this evening.

My wife recently read this guide and is now doing disgusting amounts of damage in PVP and PVE. I've been meaning to read it but :effort:

People who are doing Tokyo I currently have a QL4 Anima-Energy Capacitor that adds 4.3 or 4.4% damage if you'd like it let me know.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Looks like Funcom is boned: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-08-10-funcom-open-to-acquisition-merger-etc

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I didn't know they even released their Lego game. Why do they fail so hard at advertising? Same thing happened when TSW launched and no one knew anything about it, outside of some obscure ARGs.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

HughGRect posted:

I didn't know they even released their Lego game. Why do they fail so hard at advertising? Same thing happened when TSW launched and no one knew anything about it, outside of some obscure ARGs.
In TSW's case, wasn't that done by some manager who was pissed off about something, deliberately sabotaged the marketing effort and then shorted his stock which is why they were investigated for insider trading?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Len posted:

The current leech meta is 'dont' :(

I don't think the DPS stats have changed, though. What NYR pieces do you have? You could build a few sets around those / "respec" your current gear. At the very least, buy up a lot of glyph kits so you'll be set whenever the changes roll.

Or, ugh, create a traditional healing set.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

You could just buy some blank weapons/talismans, the various upgrades, and poo poo. Just put them in the bank and come back to them never later.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

This is what happens when you're still funding three financially failing MMOs at the same time.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mercurius posted:

In TSW's case, wasn't that done by some manager who was pissed off about something, deliberately sabotaged the marketing effort and then shorted his stock which is why they were investigated for insider trading?

That kinda sounds like blame-shifting to me. I dunno.

Funcom, please sell The Secret World IP to Bioware or Bethesda or CDProjekt.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Megazver posted:

That kinda sounds like blame-shifting to me. I dunno.

Funcom, please sell The Secret World IP to Bioware or Bethesda or CDProjekt.

Those are all horrible choices.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

The current leech meta is 'dont' :(

I don't think the DPS stats have changed, though. What NYR pieces do you have? You could build a few sets around those / "respec" your current gear. At the very least, buy up a lot of glyph kits so you'll be set whenever the changes roll.

Or, ugh, create a traditional healing set.

Two tank heads. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Fargin Icehole posted:

This is what happens when you're still funding three financially failing MMOs at the same time.

Actually in Funcom's reports they're usually quick to say that all 3 are cash flow positive now. The problem is they keep making bad bets and never meet initial sales projections. Secret World was supposed to sell over a million in the first year but only did like 200k.

• Locked thread