Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

That was actually asked about. The answer was that he doesn't consider the current system all that complicated, so it's probably not going to be changing much (barring the usual caveat of "if enough people complain it might change").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

2DCAT posted:

It's interesting, but it definitely feels like it was made by only a couple of folks. There's a lot of nostalgia there, but the game is really, really rough. I'd compare it in terms of playable and nostalgia to The Repopulation. It brings back memories of games past; however, it really needs a lot of work.

This is a really good description. The Repopulation is really shaping up quite nicely too, so I hope we see similar progress with Gorgon near the end.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Alexander DeLarge posted:

This is a really good description. The Repopulation is really shaping up quite nicely too, so I hope we see similar progress with Gorgon near the end.

The Repopulation is awful, sorry.

EDIT: Like I could write a book, it's a really bad game.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm actually kind of pissed off that the repopulation's raised a solid 6 figures off unrealistic promises, some bad free tech, and nostalgia while project gorgon is looking at like 40k tops for a finished game that's actually fun and well made.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Today I learned that if you fight 15 spiders in a corner, they can knock you back through the wall of the dungeon so that you fall to your death. On the bright side, I got 100 dying xp for "fell through the world", so it wasn't a total loss!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

senrath posted:

That was actually asked about. The answer was that he doesn't consider the current system all that complicated, so it's probably not going to be changing much (barring the usual caveat of "if enough people complain it might change").

I don't understand how you can read my post (or the other goon's) and take away that we think the skill/favor system itself needs to be less "complicated", whatever that means. I guess I wasn't clear in saying that I think the tangled web of skills and favor is really cool. My criticism is just that, as a more casual player, sometimes I get frustrated because, like, I log on and remember I have the perfect number of some item for quest X, but then I realize there are eight other parts to the quest and why did I save those, because I'm sure I had some sort of plan but now I can't remember it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

30.5 Days posted:

I'm actually kind of pissed off that the repopulation's raised a solid 6 figures off unrealistic promises, some bad free tech, and nostalgia while project gorgon is looking at like 40k tops for a finished game that's actually fun and well made.

Finished game? Look, man; there are people here who are fanboys and there are people here who dislike it, but the straight dope is that Project Gorgon is still very much a work in progress with some major, glaring errors. I posted earlier in the thread the issue that users with 32-bit operating systems simply cannot look at the skybox while in towns without crashing to desktop due to memory overflow, and that the graphics which inspire Morrowind nostalgia are literally on par with that 13-year-old game's stock models and textures. I like the game as an alpha or beta, because despite these flaws it presents me with some pretty neat things: the skills that increase as you use them and which have synergy with other skills, the loot system which puts ability-enhancing or -redefining effects on gear from the very beginning of the game, and so on. But right now this is a game where much of the terrain is permeable with varying degrees of effort (in some cases you can just run or fall right through rock formations), placeholder NPCs and mechanics still blatantly exist, all of four zones are available, the servers crap out fairly regularly for most of a day while they search for gremlins, and there exist both in- and out-of-game references to a much bigger more complex game coming soon that the users have not yet seen. This is plenty to draw the disposable income of the sort of person who backs Early Access projects, sure, but a finished game it is not.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Nietzschean posted:

Finished game? Look, man; there are people here who are fanboys and there are people here who dislike it, but the straight dope is that Project Gorgon is still very much a work in progress with some major, glaring errors. I posted earlier in the thread the issue that users with 32-bit operating systems simply cannot look at the skybox while in towns without crashing to desktop due to memory overflow, and that the graphics which inspire Morrowind nostalgia are literally on par with that 13-year-old game's stock models and textures. I like the game as an alpha or beta, because despite these flaws it presents me with some pretty neat things: the skills that increase as you use them and which have synergy with other skills, the loot system which puts ability-enhancing or -redefining effects on gear from the very beginning of the game, and so on. But right now this is a game where much of the terrain is permeable with varying degrees of effort (in some cases you can just run or fall right through rock formations), placeholder NPCs and mechanics still blatantly exist, all of four zones are available, the servers crap out fairly regularly for most of a day while they search for gremlins, and there exist both in- and out-of-game references to a much bigger more complex game coming soon that the users have not yet seen. This is plenty to draw the disposable income of the sort of person who backs Early Access projects, sure, but a finished game it is not.

I mean like Project: Gorgon is absolutely as finished as The Repopulation, which intends to launch in the next 4 months. And that's now. I was speaking in the context of The Repopulation's 220k kickstarter and the subsequent 50k kickstarter, when it was farts and dreams. Yes, Project: Gorgon is not ready for release. But the game is like, playable.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I don't understand how you can read my post (or the other goon's) and take away that we think the skill/favor system itself needs to be less "complicated", whatever that means. I guess I wasn't clear in saying that I think the tangled web of skills and favor is really cool. My criticism is just that, as a more casual player, sometimes I get frustrated because, like, I log on and remember I have the perfect number of some item for quest X, but then I realize there are eight other parts to the quest and why did I save those, because I'm sure I had some sort of plan but now I can't remember it.

I think the intent, to some degree, if you're not going to look at wikis and whatnot, is to communicate. When you ask "does anyone have ____ cheese for sale?" usually someone should chime in and let you know that this is a very long term goal, and to try something different for now. As for something like Fainor, it's far more achievable. I don't think you need much favor to make bacon, and he should give you a quest for cabbage, easy enough to grow I think, or you can turn in meat or fish to him, before you learn how to cook it. The abundance of those things and their proximity to the town make initial favor with Fainor an easy goal, and therefore bacon and Joeh an easy goal for additional storage when you want to try out different types of gear.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

30.5 Days posted:

I mean like Project: Gorgon is absolutely as finished as The Repopulation, which intends to launch in the next 4 months. And that's now. I was speaking in the context of The Repopulation's 220k kickstarter and the subsequent 50k kickstarter, when it was farts and dreams. Yes, Project: Gorgon is not ready for release. But the game is like, playable.

Yeah, that's how I'd currently compare the game. It's about as playable as The Repopulation (for better or for worse) and in some ways, it's as frustrating (if you want to do anything useful, you have to do 5 billion other things first).

The game is definitely fun, but it's a but of a grind. I'm still having fun, but worry that once the novelty wears off and nostalgia starts to go away, that the grind becomes a bit more annoying/apparent.

On the plus side, it seems as though Gorgon is making use of every penny they're receiving, so I'd be a bit more optimistic about this game than The Repopulation.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Hey there is lv 60 gardening and cooking now.

I unlocked both of them, gotta grind gardening first it looks like to be able to grow the peppers.

Went and farmed sabretooth things for flower seeds to help with the gardening. Was able to take on 8 at once, so I guess my gear still works for that!

Game looks better than it did in the previous unity engine.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

You said you hoped that they'd continue to make it easier to navigate, to which I responded that I doubt anything will change in regards to that without a lot of player input because Eric finds the system fine as is.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

senrath posted:

You said you hoped that they'd continue to make it easier to navigate, to which I responded that I doubt anything will change in regards to that without a lot of player input because Eric finds the system fine as is.

Some of the systems feel like they're intended for a game with a larger playerbase. Like, some of the quests definitely seem to think there will be ways for you to get the items without you having to jump through all the hoops yourself, and there are definitely a few skills that rely on another player telling you how to use them (or hoping the wiki is up to date).

Off topic, I really hope they never fix the water physics. It's janky as hell, but I love just hopping across the lakes instead of having to swim.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

senrath posted:

I guess my response to this is to just point to like, every big update since I first played the game, and how all of them have had significant quality of life improvements for newer players, both inside and out of skill/favor things. Kinda :effort: to scour the patch notes for the past several months, but if you want to go full pedant on this one I'm sure I can whip something up.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!

2DCAT posted:

The game is definitely fun, but it's a but of a grind. I'm still having fun, but worry that once the novelty wears off and nostalgia starts to go away, that the grind becomes a bit more annoying/apparent.

Just a heads up. I don't know much beyond level 50 because I haven't played and don't intend to for a long while due to a job promotion and getting married, but the grind actually becomes a lot more bearable as more revenue streams open up (Leatherworking, Carpentry, Cooking, a couple combat skills to farm all the mats) and as you make better things with those tradeskills, generally, your ability to farm favor is exponentially increased. The climb to the top of skills becomes much easier, if a bit more time consuming.

That said; yes, PG is basically a series of leveling treadmills with a sort of laterally affected Diablo style loot system. It has its flaws, but it is a pretty good game.

Hakkeshu
Aug 10, 2005

Blinging in the Wastes!
Reading at the bottom of the kickstarter, I was pleasantly surprised to read that nothing will be wiped come launch, guess I should start playing again.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yeah some spot-wipes are possible based on bad bugs/exploits etc. But I've not seen anything of that nature happen as long as I've been playing. Gear gets edited in-place a lot so whatever you're wearing might be devalued or its stats rerolled. Like if there's a big change for swords, he might edit sword skill gear modifiers a lot and so all sword skill gear modifiers get regenerated the next time you log in. There's definitely a kind of floaty feeling where stuff might go away based on development needs, so you shouldn't get like SUPER attached to things. But generally speaking, time spent is preserved.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

30.5 Days posted:

Yeah some spot-wipes are possible based on bad bugs/exploits etc. But I've not seen anything of that nature happen as long as I've been playing. Gear gets edited in-place a lot so whatever you're wearing might be devalued or its stats rerolled. Like if there's a big change for swords, he might edit sword skill gear modifiers a lot and so all sword skill gear modifiers get regenerated the next time you log in. There's definitely a kind of floaty feeling where stuff might go away based on development needs, so you shouldn't get like SUPER attached to things. But generally speaking, time spent is preserved.

I could have sworn at one point he said that skills would not be touched (barring him removing the entire skill from the game), but you might lose some/all of your gear/money/favor when it leaves beta.

Sapo
Dec 1, 2010

Is there a way of forcing the game to use regular fullscreen instead of a borderless window? Performance is fine on my laptop at medium-high settings, except that my cpu is getting way too hot. Dropping graphics settings to minimum and clock speed to 2.6ghz (from 3.2) has had no effect. The only other game to give me this problem has been path of exile when I ran it in borderless fullscreen. I don't know if that's really the issue but it's worth a shot.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Yesterday I ground my farming from 52 to 60.

I learned you can plant 2 of every vegetable at once, not 2 veg + 3 flowers. That helped.

With 54 cooking? For some reason? I can make badass chicken foods, but need coral mushrooms.

Green peppers take 2x water and 2x fertilizer but give you 2 peppers, 4 if music crit procs.

I have a poo poo load of every vegetable now. And tons of flowers.

The lv 55 flower from kur gives + 85 max power.

If any of you want the high end food, just give me coral mushrooms I've got all the rest.

Name in game is Pisschrist.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

hakimashou posted:

Yesterday I ground my farming from 52 to 60.

I recall seeing you talking about gardening in global last night while I was running around trying to find vendors to offload all my crap to. Too bad I have absolutely no way to get those mushrooms, but I probably don't need high end food just to run to the 2 chests I can reach in the Serbule Crypt.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Are there still players around paying ridiculous prices for bulk cotton? I basically leveled gardening from 30-50 or whatever entirely off cotton (5 plants at a time!) and made an assload of money.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I haven't really seen anyone looking for cotton, but there are like 100+ people on at any given time now, so maybe im just missing it.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Wow, 100+ people? Last I was on, it was something in the range of 20-30 peak. Did the kickstarter bring that in?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I made my way out of the first dungeon and promptly sold the spoon i looted. The discovered that the woman that would teach me autopsy liked spoons.....
So i had to buy it back for about 20x the price i sold it for ><

Which makes me think that this game is a game where everything needs to be hoarded >< oh my... here we go

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Ruggan posted:

Wow, 100+ people? Last I was on, it was something in the range of 20-30 peak. Did the kickstarter bring that in?

The Kickstarter, plus a lot of MMO sites have been covering the game in a positive light. The current peak record is 169 players at once during the Q&A time on Sunday.

Edit: Apparently they hit 192 a couple of hours ago.

Meskhenet posted:

I made my way out of the first dungeon and promptly sold the spoon i looted. The discovered that the woman that would teach me autopsy liked spoons.....
So i had to buy it back for about 20x the price i sold it for ><

Which makes me think that this game is a game where everything needs to be hoarded >< oh my... here we go

If you have the space it's a good idea. Almost everything is used for at least something, but some things are easy enough to get (and not used in large enough quantities) that they're not worth hoarding.

senrath fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 12, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ruggan posted:

yep, i just started playing again a few days ago, was amazed how many people are on now

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
They added a chat channel system today

use /Join -Gorgoon

the - in the name makes it a private channel

I figure Gorgoon is a p good name.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Today's patch was mostly bugfixes and nerfs, but the new chat system and the new instruments are pretty cool.

The guy who lets you train to Staff 60 is a complete dick, too.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hakimashou posted:

They added a chat channel system today

use /Join -Gorgoon

the - in the name makes it a private channel

I figure Gorgoon is a p good name.

What's so wrong with tried and true names like lljk

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Nietzschean posted:

What's so wrong with tried and true names like lljk

That would work too

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I love Gorgoons

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
The pig remodel is great, and pigs are now even better for stupid utility skill synergies: Truffle Sniff can apparently also spawn strange dirt. I don't remember that ever happening when I played actively before, and I used Truffle Sniff a whole lot. So they're even more the best character to use for gardening, since they can be digging up mushrooms AND free dirt while waiting on plants.

Pig life. :buddy:

EDIT: Well, not *quite* the best since animal instruments haven't been implemented yet. But soon. :kimchi:

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 17, 2015

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Apparently the new pig has a butt wiggle? Can you confirm/deny?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Confirm! It's actually kind of odd, because it looks like they were trying to implement tail-wiggling and I don't think pigs can do that. My immersion.

Also one of the dance animations is basically flinging themselves to the ground and rolling around. brb finding a mud puddle

EDIT: I googled this important question and apparently pigs actually can wag their tails. That's completely :3:

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 17, 2015

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
I just started playing this crazy rear end MMO and I'm in love with it, although I would be loving fantastic if I could find a sword that's better than the starter and didn't require an obscure skill, as of right now I got either 7 levels of sword grinding or figuring out how to gain levels in Spider.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
It is absolutely not worth leveling Spider just so you can equip a lowbie item you'll be throwing out before long anyway. Spider requires a journey deep into the Crypt, past swarms of enemies and multiple bosses that will require the aid of high level characters to escort you, and isn't cheap to buy (or cure!). If you want to BE a spider that's one thing, but don't do it just to equip RNG-created vendor trash. :)

So just sell that or give to that weapon vendor that likes swords for Favor. If you have another sword that just needs 7 more skill ranks in Sword, as a newbie that should take you zero actual time to accomplish. Otherwise you can find plentiful swords in the Used tab at various vendors, and occasionally someone will have sold a weapon that isn't crap.

EDIT: Forgot you can check the community donation chest in the inn too, if the rush of new people isn't keeping it permanently empty.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 17, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I have + 2 run speed boots that require you to have lv 40 spider and am currently power leveling up mentalism to use to power level up spider since I can't use sword or fire magic as a spider since spiders don't have hands and can't use swords or staffs so I can get lv40 spider and then stop being a spider and equip the boots for when I'm running so I can run faster.

Best game

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

massecurr posted:

I just started playing this crazy rear end MMO and I'm in love with it, although I would be loving fantastic if I could find a sword that's better than the starter and didn't require an obscure skill, as of right now I got either 7 levels of sword grinding or figuring out how to gain levels in Spider.

Wear a belt. You can get some cheap Sword+x belts in town, probably from Joeh. You can beg a high lever player likely to make you a full-sword belt. A certain percentage of your magic loot has a chance of being rolled against your belt skills, meaning if you have a Sword+Psychology belt, there's a better chance that when you find a sword, it'll roll sword or psych skill reqs and mods on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I know I haven't played in a while, but how did I forget belts. :doh: