Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Srice posted:

The real hosed up Dynasty Warriors Gundam thing is that because Harry Ord isn't in it, they have Loran say "Universe!" instead, only he's not very passionate about it.

They added Sochie and not him!!! Fuckers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

When is the megaman Gundam going to air?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

When is the megaman Gundam going to air?

October

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They added Sochie and not him!!! Fuckers!

Sochie owns and is mechanically one of the strongest characters in the game. :colbert:

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I like Sochie a lot, but man do I find her voice actress grating.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Sochie is one of the best girls in Gundam and I like her voice. :colbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sochie got what she deserved in Turn A's ending. :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:dogbutton:

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
A little earlier, there was a comment about the problems of anti-war mecha anime. I very much agree with that point, since there's this inherent techno fetishism in military science fiction, and especially so in the mecha genre. Lots of weapon Otaku tend to write, draw, and direct these things, so it goes with the territory.

Building on that, a Gundam series I'd like to see is something dealing with how military appropriations work. The Pentagon Wars of Gundam. Like if the GP01 was a massive piece of poo poo that barely functioned due to generals tacking on all sorts of pet functionality that landed far outside of its envisioned mission parameters. One of the things that bothers me about future tech military sci fi is that it all basically just works, and works incredibly well. Judging by the F-35, and the LCS, I don't think that will necessarily be the case in our future. The bad guys could be Anaheim Electronics directly, not being in the shadows like in 0083 and Unicorn, staging and inflaming a conflict so they can sell more overpriced boondoggle pieces of garbage to both sides. You could do 0083 right this time, without all the lovely nationalism!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

TNG posted:

You could do 0083 right this time, without all the lovely nationalism!

And Nina Purpleton.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nationalism was not the problem with 0083.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TNG posted:

A little earlier, there was a comment about the problems of anti-war mecha anime. I very much agree with that point, since there's this inherent techno fetishism in military science fiction, and especially so in the mecha genre. Lots of weapon Otaku tend to write, draw, and direct these things, so it goes with the territory.

Building on that, a Gundam series I'd like to see is something dealing with how military appropriations work. The Pentagon Wars of Gundam. Like if the GP01 was a massive piece of poo poo that barely functioned due to generals tacking on all sorts of pet functionality that landed far outside of its envisioned mission parameters. One of the things that bothers me about future tech military sci fi is that it all basically just works, and works incredibly well. Judging by the F-35, and the LCS, I don't think that will necessarily be the case in our future. The bad guys could be Anaheim Electronics directly, not being in the shadows like in 0083 and Unicorn, staging and inflaming a conflict so they can sell more overpriced boondoggle pieces of garbage to both sides. You could do 0083 right this time, without all the lovely nationalism!

Many of the suits in G-Reco were badly-designed, badly-functioning pieces of poo poo. The G-Arcane's shortfalls were notorious, the Tricky and Assault packs on the G-Self were never used more than once for a reason (the Tricky gave Bellri zero peripheral vision and the Assault kept trying to murder him with acceleration), and the Armorzagan and Bifron literally started falling apart as soon as they came out of their hangars.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

Nationalism was not the problem with 0083.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I just want a version of the development montage from Pentagon Wars except with the Bradley replaced by this thing:

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Darth Walrus posted:

Many of the suits in G-Reco were badly-designed, badly-functioning pieces of poo poo. The G-Arcane's shortfalls were notorious, the Tricky and Assault packs on the G-Self were never used more than once for a reason (the Tricky gave Bellri zero peripheral vision and the Assault kept trying to murder him with acceleration), and the Armorzagan and Bifron literally started falling apart as soon as they came out of their hangars.

I would say that G-Reco comes close to highlighting the problems of the military industrial complex, but all of those were flawed adaptations of UC tech via the Rose of Hermes blueprints, which produced some marvels like the G-Self and the G-IT suits. Those things could still fight and function. The F-35 will tear itself apart if it tries to go faster than mach 1 and the LCS' hull starts to dissolve when it's put in seawater. What I'm trying to say is the whole process of military appropriation is hilariously flawed, and that there aren't blueprints of magic supertech from 1000 years ago being misinterpreted by people from a more naive and peaceful era. G-Reco is arguing against rearmament, I want the inner workings of an already entrenched military industrial complex.

The G-Reco suits still could do amazing things, despite all the kinks and Mick Jack having to rewire mid combat. The Armorzagan could turn on a dime and seemed to ignore inertia for example. I want a failure at every institutional level, much like we have in our times.

TNG fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 9, 2015

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TNG posted:

The Gundam Project is probably a bad focus for a Pentagon Wars knockoff because the suits were broadly actually good at what they were supposed to do instead of the result of a bunch of design by committee and project padding. The GP01 was really, really good at what it was designed to do. The base Zephyranthes was aces on the ground and the Full Vernier addon made it a beast in space. While the GP02's entire mission statement for existing is idiotic and dumb, the suit executed its mission statement to perfection. The GP03 was a flying armory capable of obliterating a significant chunk of the Delaz Fleet singlehandedly. The GP04/Gerbera Tetra was also a fine mobile suit with no real weaknesses.

Nina might be one of the worst characters in the Gundam franchise but she built good suits.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Pentagon Wars for Gundam would be cool, but the issue would be trying to sell model kits of MSes that are shown as stupid and worthless pieces of poo poo. Redshirt MSes like the Nemo can still sell kits because their suckiness is because of other mechs destroying them or having the unfortunate luck of constantly meeting the main protagonist, not because of issues like the gun constantly exploding in their hands and failing to launch off of ships.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

closeted republican posted:

Redshirt MSes like the Nemo can still sell kits because their suckiness is because of other mechs destroying them or having the unfortunate luck of constantly meeting the main protagonist

And yet we still have no Leo kit.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

chumbler posted:

And yet we still have no Leo kit.

The Leo's fatal mistake is being a redshirt in an AU series. If he was in the UC, you bet your rear end he'd have a kit by now.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Kanos posted:

The Gundam Project is probably a bad focus for a Pentagon Wars knockoff because the suits were broadly actually good at what they were supposed to do instead of the result of a bunch of design by committee and project padding. The GP01 was really, really good at what it was designed to do. The base Zephyranthes was aces on the ground and the Full Vernier addon made it a beast in space. While the GP02's entire mission statement for existing is idiotic and dumb, the suit executed its mission statement to perfection. The GP03 was a flying armory capable of obliterating a significant chunk of the Delaz Fleet singlehandedly. The GP04/Gerbera Tetra was also a fine mobile suit with no real weaknesses.

Nina might be one of the worst characters in the Gundam franchise but she built good suits.

Yeah, that's my point man. The GP series suits work REALLY well. They're all these super budgeted mega suits that outperform basically everything on the battlefield until 0088. It's just that with a company like Anaheim, who has lots of cushy no-bid contracts with the EF, as well as various anti-EF groups *cough*, the GP project would be the perfect opportunity to just gouge every last cent out of the EF and delivering a sub-par project due to corruption. Who are they competing against exactly, and for what direct threat are they responding to? Even the US at the height of the Cold War still produced the F-5 and the pre-production model F-14 and many others.

There's a tendency in Western military fiction to assume that hardware produced by the US and its allies is the best in the world, and can perform amazing feats. I think that if we want to get away from this glorification of militarism, we need to fight the myth of super weapons and and techno fetishism. I'm not saying that's for everyone, just that it's a direction I'd like to see. Many people like to watch these types of shows for the gee whiz factor of the tech, and that's fine.

TNG fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 9, 2015

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Kanos posted:

Maybe have something like that from the Zeon side of things? Like, the idiots in charge who don't' know what they're doing trying to get impractical poo poo like the MP Big Zam greenlit while the one or two rational people in Zeon R&D have to constantly put up with said stupidity?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

VolticSurge posted:

Maybe have something like that from the Zeon side of things? Like, the idiots in charge who don't' know what they're doing trying to get impractical poo poo like the MP Big Zam greenlit while the one or two rational people in Zeon R&D have to constantly put up with said stupidity?

So basically you want a series based on these posts.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

MS IGLOON: The Stupid One-Year War

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Yeah,basically.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

TNG posted:

Yeah, that's my point man. The GP series suits work REALLY well. They're all these super budgeted mega suits that outperform basically everything on the battlefield until 0088. It's just that with a company like Anaheim, who has lots of cushy no-bid contracts with the EF, as well as various anti-EF groups *cough*, the GP project would be the perfect opportunity to just gouge every last cent out of the EF and delivering a sub-par project due to corruption. Who are they competing against exactly, and for what direct threat are they responding to? Even the US at the height of the Cold War still produced the F-5 and the pre-production model F-14 and many others.

There's a tendency in Western military fiction to assume that hardware produced by the US and its allies is the best in the world, and can perform amazing feats. I think that if we want to get away from this glorification of militarism, we need to fight the myth of super weapons and and techno fetishism. I'm not saying that's for everyone, just that it's a direction I'd like to see. Many people like to watch these types of shows for the gee whiz factor of the tech, and that's fine.

It would be a neat concept. The closest existing thing I think you'll get in UC without making up something new is the ZZ, which actually is an overdesigned piece of poo poo that barely functions because it has so much poo poo tacked onto it. They had to design an upgrade to it that disabled its transformation mechanism just to make it sturdy enough to not immediately fall apart when it took a major kinetic impact and its main weapon drained the suit's entire energy supply in one shot.

VolticSurge posted:

This is actually nearly literally what IGLOO was, with the exception that IGLOO spent way too much time on the heroic heroism of the Zeon heroes and their noble lost cause sacrifices in their wunderwaffen rather than the absolutely broken procurement process that generates something like the Ze'Gok or the Zudah.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

VolticSurge posted:

Good ol' MS IGLOO. Way too much BRAVE ZEON FIGHTING SPIRIT in that one though.

I did appreciate the episode where the Zudah shows up and the Feds counter by releasing a propaganda film saying how much of a piece of poo poo it is.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

TNG posted:

Good ol' MS IGLOO. Way too much BRAVE ZEON FIGHTING SPIRIT in that one though.

I did appreciate the episode where the Zudah shows up and the Feds counter by releasing a propaganda film saying how much of a piece of poo poo it is.

The Zudah episode immediately undermined its celebration of Zeon bravery and fighting spirit by revealing that they were too stupid to put enough rocket fuel in their escape rockets to carry everyone past low-Earth orbit. I did appreciate that the designated brave dead hero of the episode spent the last five minutes of his life talking about how great and honorable a mobile suit the Zudah was instead of maybe hitting the brakes or something.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

3 posted:

The Zudah episode immediately undermined its celebration of Zeon bravery and fighting spirit by revealing that they were too stupid to put enough rocket fuel in their escape rockets to carry everyone past low-Earth orbit. I did appreciate that the designated brave dead hero of the episode spent the last five minutes of his life talking about how great and honorable a mobile suit the Zudah was instead of maybe hitting the brakes or something.

Knowing Zeon,the brakes probably just made it explode faster.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

3 posted:

What would have been really great is if he did what Vladimir Komarov did and just cursed out the entire stupid system as he plummeted to his senseless and horrible death.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I was looking up info on the Zudah and it led me to amazing disasterpiece:

The GM Camouf was designed to take advantage of the fact that IFF systems didn't work in Minovsky-saturated battlefields, so Feddie pilots wouldn't be able to tell it was a cleverly disguised Zaku until it was too late. Predictably, it was shot apart by the understandably confused battleship that transported it into battle.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

Fool... Once the Big Zam is mass produced the Federation will end in no time!

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Fool... Once the Big Zam is mass produced the Federation will end in no time!

Dozel's claim, despite what various Ghiren's Greed games have depicted, has always been of interest to me. If you had a fleet of those things they would present a huge logistical nightmare. How would you keep such things fueled up and combat operational? How is maintenance done when one of the claws is the size of a mobile suit? How do get them into combat effectively? Let a bunch of Musais tug them? You'd have to build a whole new support system just be able to get a single Big Zam combat ready and effective, let alone 25 of them.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Lemon Curdistan posted:

His first name is literally "four" in French.

Yeah, that's the French name I was referring to and why I extrapolated the "le Berbere" bit. It fits! Zinedine Zidane is of Berber descent and he's basically Quatre in real life if you think about it.

So the Big Zam was fine in actual combat as long as the Federation didn't invent laser swords or get MS technology, logistical problems aside. What about the Zeong? What was better, legs or no legs? And because I'm a nerd I was looking up the various battleships of the UC. There's one that lacked MS catapults because it was designed before they were a thing so they just strapped mobile suits to the sides with cables.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

I think the best way to utilize the Big Zam is not to deploy it as a swarm-attack unit-just fill them them up with bombs,and drop them on the earth. Like so .

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

TNG posted:

Dozel's claim, despite what various Ghiren's Greed games have depicted, has always been of interest to me. If you had a fleet of those things they would present a huge logistical nightmare. How would you keep such things fueled up and combat operational? How is maintenance done when one of the claws is the size of a mobile suit? How do get them into combat effectively? Let a bunch of Musais tug them? You'd have to build a whole new support system just be able to get a single Big Zam combat ready and effective, let alone 25 of them.

I think the idea of "mass producing" the Big Zam wasn't to make an army of dozens of Big Zams, but rather to build several of them and use them to spearhead attack groups of less flagrantly extravagant forces. The Big Zam is basically a nearly invincible walking fortress with the firepower of a Death Star that only has one real combat weakness(being swarmed in close quarters), so a small conventional force backing one up could probably easily defeat a vastly numerically superior force, which I think was the general idea. Kind of like a land battleship except not rendered completely obsolete by mobile suits and beam weaponry.

In fact, this is exactly how you can play it out in Gihren's Greed. The Big Zam is dramatically too expensive, slow, and energy hungry to ever be the central focus of your forces, but if you happen to get one or even a couple out and can protect them from close quarters attacks they will pretty much obliterate anything you point them at(notwithstanding that generally the optimal strategy for Zeon is to win the OYW long before Big Zam development is even a twinkle in Dozle's eye).

There's an MSV of a "Mass Production" variant of the Big Zam which is more plausible from an economical/logistical standpoint(it's half the size, lacks the skirt guns, and doesn't have an I-Field), but all the cuts required to make it a true mass production unit kind of defeat the purpose of the Big Zam as a war-winning superweapon because the MP variant is basically just a big beam cannon on legs.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 10, 2015

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
the names given to the conflicts of the early universal century only serve to obfuscate their true nature to the average person

the one year war, the gryphus conflict, the neo-zeon war, all of them are simply iterations of the same struggle between earth and spacenoid oligarchs which first came to a head in the early 0050s

had it not been for neo-zeon's entrance towards the end of the gryphus conflict, this would probably have been completely apparent to even the most casual observer

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I kinda wish there would be a Gundam series where the enemy is a Communist regime trying to spread the Revolution through the Earth Sphere. And then one of the one the bad guys joins the heroes near the end and is all sad because the ideals were good ebfore it all degenerated so terribly.

Basically a Gundam version of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAxJb1v-SnU

Edit: No wait, they should re-do Unicorn except the Laplace Box is gold and it's The Good, the Bad and the Ugly with giant robots.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 10, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

I kinda wish there would be a Gundam series where the enemy is a Communist regime trying to spread the Revolution through the Earth Sphere. And then one of the one the bad guys joins the heroes near the end and is all sad because the ideals were good ebfore it all degenerated so terribly.

By making the communists the bad guys, it would be SA's (or at least D&D's) most hated Gundam show by a good margin. :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

By making the communists the bad guys, it would be SA's (or at least D&D's) most hated Gundam show by a good margin. :v:

Well, the point would be, much like the old shows, that both sides were poo poo and hopefully the heroes should take the good from both sides and find a better third path. A very Cold War kind of thinking, when you think about it, fitting for a show born in the 70s and 80s. I'd certainly feel more empathy for Revolutionaries than for would-be Space Aristocrats or Fascists.

I mean, it's not always well executed: in Gundam SeeD, for instance, the Three Ships Alliance is kind of following that idea, except since the writer/director doesn't like depth both sides are just transformed into caricatures of themselves and the heroes are super pure good who can unite the world throguh their idealism. Judeau's disenchantment and deciding to gently caress off to Jupiter is a much more cynical and realistic take on the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
the bourgeoisie of the post oyw universal century are more than happy to murder entire cities as soon as they catch a hint of revolutionary rhetoric in the air

from their point of view, karn's rapprochement-zeon was, ironically, the federation's savior

with the forces of both the titans and the aefo devastated, and public support for the lunar-terran establishment lower than ever, it would've been trivial for actual revolutionaries to rise up, gain the support of the space/earthnoid public and disillusioned ex-efsf/aefo/karaba/zeon personnel alike

instead, neo-zeon allowed the last of the titans holdouts to be redeemed though their deaths, forced karaba to work directly with the federal government by preventing the aefo from resupplying them, forced the aefo to act purely as anaheim's protectors by threatening luna, acted as a honeypot for reactionary and would be revolutionaries throughout the sphere, destroyed a massive amount of colonial industry thereby ensuring many colonies would again need outside support, and helped lower the growing earthbound poor population for the federation through mass murder

in the end the aefo and karaba are reabsorbed by the federation and become the titans with a smiley face, and the spacenoid aristocracy is knocked back to their 0060s status as unequal members in the federal establishment

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 10, 2015

• Locked thread