Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

leica posted:

I could never drive in this area fro a living, I tried courier and quit after a week even though i signed a contract that said they wouldn't pay me if i quit the first week. It was loving god awful.

What area is that? I work as a sub-con courier (owner-driver) in and around London, which can be interesting at times. But the money is decent and beats most jobs for the money/ease ratio.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Mooseykins posted:

What area is that? I work as a sub-con courier (owner-driver) in and around London, which can be interesting at times. But the money is decent and beats most jobs for the money/ease ratio.

Tampa bay area of Florida. Driving in that area is poo poo at the best of times, terrifying when you add something like the storms we've been having in.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

literally a fish posted:

Replacing lithium ion cells with spotwelded interconnects and epoxied on thermal sensors seems like a fast track to an unnecessary world of hurt

lithium fires aren't fun :psyduck:

He said it was an old drill so I figured it was Ni-Cd or NiMH.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

Oh, I guessed new. Yeah that isn't surprising at all.

None of the parts store chains have the correct alt in stock right now!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

Tampa bay area of Florida. Driving in that area is poo poo at the best of times, terrifying when you add something like the storms we've been having in.

Yeah that and the route was out of my local area (across the bay in Tampa) and horribly inconsistent to the point that I had to keep turning around and doing poo poo over that I missed. Even if I did the routes perfect, once I did the math with fuel costs and wear and tear on my vehicle it was nowhere near worth what I was getting paid. Cut my losses and said no thanks.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Mmmm, watching GT cars duke it out at Road America never gets old. And those V8s and Flat-6s! :allears:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

General_Failure posted:

He said it was an old drill so I figured it was Ni-Cd or NiMH.

Ah, fair point. That'd be pretty easy, yeah.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
My truck is in need of a tune up or something. Longer commute means I'm burning the hell out of some gas. Sitting at about 220k miles on probably factory plugs (if they were changed before I bought it, then 140k on the plugs). I've got a replacement fuel filter, just haven't replaced it yet. I am exhausted and probably not thinking super clearly. What else could be dropping my efficiency down?

It just makes me hope I can pick up a 5spd 4cyl beater car come tax time to rack up miles on instead of my truck.

Fake E: 06 F150 with a V6, so no 2 piece plug shenanigans for me at least. Used to get around 17 on the highway, now it seems like a lot less but I've not been able to measure it lately.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Man, I've gotta start eating healthier. Or at least larger meals before I take the beetus meds.

Got really dizzy at work today out of nowhere.

OHSHI....

I took two readings to make sure I didn't get a funky strip. They were only 1 point off of each other. Chugged a Pepsi and finished off the last of my glucose tablets, which got it into the 80s. I wanted to take it one more time a bit later, but it was my last strip, and the meter claimed it (strip) was water damaged. :argh:

literally a fish posted:

Replacing lithium ion cells with spotwelded interconnects and epoxied on thermal sensors seems like a fast track to an unnecessary world of hurt

It's old enough that it's NiCad, and uses a cheap wall wart as a charger.

jammyozzy posted:

If I need to get an MX-5 that's sat for 3 years started and running well enough to get onto a trailer & up a sloped driveway, is there anything else I need apart from:
  • Drain & replace the fuel
  • Fit a fresh battery
  • Air up the tyres
There's still oil in it and I'm going to pull the engine once it's on the driveway anyway, so I'm not too concerned about it running for a few seconds with whatever's in there. The plugs had <5k miles on them when the car was parked, do you think a fresh set would do me any favours? Anything else I'm not thinking of? I've never done this before. :shobon:

Like RIP Paul Walker said, the fuel in there is likely still good enough to at least get it started and moving. It'll run like rear end, but it will (probably) run.

* Source: an ex had a Cavalier that sat for over 3 years, all we did was toss a battery in it and crank it for about 10 seconds, and it fired right up (I assume the 10 seconds was because anything remotely resembling fuel had drained back to the tank or turned into varnish). Ran like complete poo poo until it got some fresh gas in it, and the fuel pump went out shortly after, but it drove home under its own power on fuel over 3 years old.

Plugs should be fine. The only thing I'd be concerned about would be the belts and hoses, but if you're just moving it around a bit, I wouldn't even worry about that. Do plan to do all the gaskets while it's out though, along with the timing belt.

NoWake posted:

Dunno if there's been much uber/lyft/etc chat here recently or if it's been run out of AI, but I tried it out tonight and don't think I will do it again. The passengers were fine and I made $140 in six hours of driving, but that's before gas, wear and tear, and paying my taxes. I drove nearly 200 miles, all city miles, which equates to 1.5 to 2 weeks' worth of driving in one night... and I should have seen it coming, but driving a stick shift around the city for 6 hours SUCKS. 4 or 5 times a month, and I'll be doubling the annual mileage on my car and service it twice as much, not to mention sacrifice most of my weekend nights for maybe 4 grand over the course of a year.

Try delivering pizza - though you're usually a W2 employee with most pizza places, not a contractor, so you don't have to worry about setting aside a bit for taxes. It's just as hard on your car, if not more so, and pays a bit less. :sigh:

The last Uber driver I had was driving a super clean Benz. I'm guessing he normally drove for their Black Car section, but you can take on lower levels if your normal tier is slow. I had requested an UberX car, which is their lowest tier.

QuarkMartial posted:

My truck is in need of a tune up or something. Longer commute means I'm burning the hell out of some gas. Sitting at about 220k miles on probably factory plugs (if they were changed before I bought it, then 140k on the plugs). I've got a replacement fuel filter, just haven't replaced it yet. I am exhausted and probably not thinking super clearly. What else could be dropping my efficiency down?

It just makes me hope I can pick up a 5spd 4cyl beater car come tax time to rack up miles on instead of my truck.

Fake E: 06 F150 with a V6, so no 2 piece plug shenanigans for me at least. Used to get around 17 on the highway, now it seems like a lot less but I've not been able to measure it lately.

HEY FARVA, WHAT'S THE NAME OF THAT RESTAURANT YOU LIKE SO MUCH?

You mean Shenanigans? :haw:

Seriously though, change the plugs. They're rated for 80-100k IIRC, they're undoubtedly severely worn by now; new ones won't hurt a thing, and if nothing else, will make it a lot easier to start.

Rhyno posted:

So the "new" alternator I put in the Civic is also junk. I guess I'll buy a rebuild or something but realistically, how far/long could I possibly drive the car without it? I really need to get it back here where the tools live and I don't feel like trailering it. The trip is 7 miles, about 15-20 minutes in traffic.

I once drove my 96 Civic EX for over half an hour with no alternator (as in the alternator wasn't even in the engine bay; the big wire was taped up so it wouldn't short on anything). It ran for about 35-45 minutes before it started missing; stereo and cluster started acting up shortly before that. It died shortly after it started misfiring, but someone stopped and gave me a jump (and left the cables hooked up for about 10 minutes), which got me enough power to get it started and drive it the remaining mile home.

My 99 Altima had the alternator poo poo itself in rush hour on a hot day. Didn't even notice the light until I got off the highway and realized the a/c wasn't moving as much air, then looked down and saw the CEL, brake, and alternator lights all lit (Nissans for some reason light up the brake light when the alternator light comes on). Still made it the rest of the way home (15 minutes, a/c blasting, radio still on), voltage was down to about 11.5 when I got home. Still cranked up just fine, I drove it another 15 minutes or so to get a new battery.

You'll be fine as long as you have a good battery, just don't turn on anything unnecessary. And if you drive it sans alternator, make drat sure you tape the hell out of the positive cable to keep it from shorting on anything.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 10, 2015

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

It's my birthday and I raced a Diablo and saw a 964 rsr and a d type at the breakfast meet

happy birthday op I hope you got all the carbon fiber parts you asked for and had a good celebration day, from one m3 guy to another.

I don't believe in racing but I chased this guy at speed in your honor

Loud as gently caress, didn't leave me for dead like I expected (he still won handily but through mid-3rd I was right on him)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

happy birthday op I hope you got all the carbon fiber parts you asked for and had a good celebration day, from one m3 guy to another.

Loud as gently caress, didn't leave me for dead like I expected (he still won handily but through mid-3rd I was right on him)

Very good op I am proud of u.

I followed this fella and I was like phwoar.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I know that nobody in the world drives Justys, but if they did, they'd love this 22k mile California car for $1400:

https://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/5164694486.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 10, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Doesnt Kastein own one?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Man, the only car I know I can beat with my NC miata is an automatic NC miata :v: It was like those pink slip shows from the early 2000's with dudes racing celicas and neons crowing about sub 18s 1/4 mile times :kiddo:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Doesnt Kastein own one?

Well, you see, ummm.... :thejoke:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Another week in NH. At least I am getting paid for the 3hr drive up and back, $40 daily per diem and my own hotel room. Should be back Thursday night so hopefully I can get my windows done after cancelling 3 times.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I bet it actually has 122k on it (5 digit odo into the early 90s) but that looks solid and has the right drivetrain. Probably carbed.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
My coworker who owns the garage with attached house has a 2014 Ford F-150 Tremor with the 3.5L Ecoboost engine. His custom license plate?

"GRABOID"

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
FREEDOM!!!

I guess i needed that, now its time to bottle up my emotions untill my next breakdown...

Only kidding, therapy starts wednesday.

Good job on staying sober STR. i am proud of you.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I was a fedex ground P&D driver for a year in a previous life. I've accumulated a lifetimes worth of stories from it. Even though I was fit and young in age I realized early on that nobody has the knees or the back to put up with that very long. My typical daily route had me delivering 230 to 320 packages per day, making 85-110 stops a day, not including the 15-25 pickups.

I had to average at least 15 stops per hour to get to my pickups in the right window. Sometimes I would get 18 stops or so. What I'm saying is driving for a living is hard when it's a huge box powered by a Mercedes 4 cylinder turbo diesel.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NoWake posted:

Dunno if there's been much uber/lyft/etc chat here recently or if it's been run out of AI, but I tried it out tonight and don't think I will do it again.
Finally used Uber for the first time this weekend to get downtown then back to camping in Indianapolis. Pretty drat nice service and we had good drivers both ways. Both our drivers said they liked it but had some horror stories relating to insurance.

meatpimp posted:

This is going to stir some poo poo up: http://www.wired.com/2015/08/hackers-tiny-device-unlocks-cars-opens-garages/
Guy has a device to grab and/or disrupt rolling codes for garage doors AND most cars... implications are huge. Quick, easy and undetectable break ins, just for starters.
A bit spooky but those have been around for a while, this one is just a lot simpler and now brought to attention again. Cars outside are never locked so that isn't a big deal but getting into the garage is worrisome.

Indianapolis Moto GP was pretty great, think it will be a yearly thing. Camping was loud and a bit hot but still great. Moto 3 race got hosed by the rain but Moto 2 and Moto GP were good races and we had a great spot to watch. Tired as hell, a bit dehydrated but surprisingly little sunburn.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thanks for all the food and stuff to do suggestions. Looks like I won't be bored. I definitely want to check out the shuttle and that miniature museum. I've always dug models and miniatures (still have like 30 unbuilt car, and sci-fi models - maybe one day, when I'm retired...)

some texas redneck posted:

Mom has a cordless drill, but the battery on it is worthless, and being an older Black & Decker, you just get a lot of BAHAHAHAH YOU WANT A BATTERY FOR WHAT?! when you try to find a new one. Not that it ever had much power to begin with.

No poo poo on the batteries. I did discovered that the higher-capacity 18V batteries for the B&D cordless weed-whacker will fit in a Firestorm drill if you file off an indexing tab. and, because they're more recent, they're a bit cheaper than the actual battery for the drill.
I looked into rebuilding the batter (several places on the web will sell you the right sub-C cels, and the B&D battery packs are actually screwed, rather than glued, together) but it wasn't any cheaper than a new battery.

A corded drill is fine for attic work, just a bit more hassle with the cord. On the flip side, you don't crawl all the way to your location, then drill half-way and run out of juice, either. Been there, done that.

quote:

The fish tape would have come in handy on the sub install in the Ion - I used a cut up wire coat hanger to get the RCAs and remote wire under the carpet. :cripes: I never knew how cheap it was though - paid $12 for a 25 ft Klein steel tape with markings every foot (Wal-Mart had a knockoff for $11 with no markings). $13 for a dozen spade drill bits from Wal-Mart (Black & Decker, but I won't use them often enough for the B&D lack of quality to matter), and $13 for the Klein coax stripper. So far the coax stripper has been the "how the hell have I lived without this?!" tool, it takes 5 seconds to perfectly strip RG6 and RG59.

My fish tape doesn't have markings. Maybe I should add some. Could be handy.
I've used plenty of coat hangers to fish stuff through. Still have several straightened ones hanging up in the garage, just in case.

some texas redneck posted:

It's old enough that it's NiCad, and uses a cheap wall wart as a charger.

The wall-wart is what killed it - their not smart, so your dependent on timing alone to not overcharge the battery. I shelled out for one of B&D's smart chargers, and the batteries seem to live longer. Their like $30 and handle all the Firestorm batteries. If it's not that style, then I guess it's time for a new drill... which might be cheaper than a new battery for an old one!

meatpimp posted:

I know that nobody in the world drives Justys, but if they did, they'd love this 22k mile California car for $1400:

Pay me $500 and I will drive it back from my business trip instead of flying. (Probably not - it's a 3h drive from where I will be, and I'm going back to TX, not New England.)

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5165420934.html

Add this on and you can drive it home from the miniatures museum! Carlsbad is pretty cool but if you're in El Segundo it's not THAT cool. That's a long drive just to see Carlsbad. Might as well keep going 30 minutes and spend your time in downtown San Diego.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That one is FWD and there is absolutely no reason to buy a FWD Justy except as a parts donor. If you want 30-40mpg out of a FWD car, buy a Civic, they are far more reliable, comfortable, safe, and significantly faster.

IMO, a 4wd 5 speed that gets 35mpg and fits down ATV trails is the only justification for putting up with the admittedly significant issues with Justys. Like the terrible oil pump design, serious lack of parts availability, nonexistent aftermarket, etc.

For example a set of rear struts cost me $200 shipped, aftermarket stock replacement oil pans simply don't exist, driveshafts don't exist, body panels don't exist, transmission parts don't exist, everything is dealer only or wait for online shipping, hell, side mirrors and lamp housings don't exist. It's junkyard, make it yourself, or live with it for probably 90% of the parts on a Justy. No one even lists half the exhaust system gaskets, including the donut gasket - I had to figure out something else that would fit. Ended up using a Prius donut gasket, which was a perfect fit, amusingly enough.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

meatpimp posted:

This could be the AI relay car to make it up to kastein!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mafoose posted:

Too rich man. We're not all made out of money!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mafoose posted:

If someone is in California and can do it, I'm in for $100.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
That one would likely have a carb. Kastein is allergic to carbs, they're his kryptonite.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 10, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Holy mother of gently caress I just found out my coworker Death race S2000 got lit up by the cops driving recklessly, tried to run went on a chase looped his car totalled it and is now in jail

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Holy mother of gently caress I just found out my coworker Death race S2000 got lit up by the cops driving recklessly, tried to run went on a chase looped his car totalled it and is now in jail

This is a fantastic end to the story. Didn't he finance his rear end in a top hat inside out to be able to afford it? I'd love to read his credit report now.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Very cool. Post that s2000.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ughhhh tooled around on a Honda Trail 90 all weekend. The urge is strong to buy a dumb scooter for putting around town... Must... Resist...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

1500quidporsche posted:

This is a fantastic end to the story. Didn't he finance his rear end in a top hat inside out to be able to afford it? I'd love to read his credit report now.

Oh that guy!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Got a mini paceman as a loaner while the wife's car is in the shop. I hate to say it, but I like the little SUV :negative: I like being able to see over poo poo and the mini connected bluetooth poo poo in there is the tits. It's official, I want a nice ride and a cool stereo way more than I have fucks to give about handling.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Phone posted:

Ughhhh tooled around on a Honda Trail 90 all weekend. The urge is strong to buy a dumb scooter for putting around town... Must... Resist...

Buy one and ride it around til you kill yourself or your Miata shows up.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, post the full story/pics of this idiot who (from the sound of it) financed a S2000 like it was a $50k Altima, and then was even stupider and thought he could escape the po-leece in a S2000. I love stories like that.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

BloodBag posted:

Got a mini paceman as a loaner while the wife's car is in the shop. I hate to say it, but I like the little SUV :negative: I like being able to see over poo poo and the mini connected bluetooth poo poo in there is the tits. It's official, I want a nice ride and a cool stereo way more than I have fucks to give about handling.

A friend of mine has a Ford Kuga (Escape) and it's a really awesome car. Everything about it is nice, i'm not usually one for small SUVs/soft-roaders but it's really nice and i wouldn't say no to one.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I feel like i need to befriend him, he sounds tragically hilarious in a schadenfreude kinda way.

One of those people you look at and wonder how they manage to just not die crossing the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
S2000 guy sounds like he should be my best friend.

Civic sans alternator made it home fine, thanks for the knowledge dudes!

• Locked thread