Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Cozz posted:

Because it's going to make Toei lots of money no matter how much effort they put into it?

Yeah that's actually true. I don't know why I forgot that after seeing the poo poo they pull with other shows I like. Toei has never given a poo poo about quality, should've known that after seeing what happened with DBZ and what happened with One Piece during the later years.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I hope funimation goes full theatrical and DBZ crushes fantastic four in the box office.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Stairmaster posted:

I hope funimation goes full theatrical and DBZ crushes fantastic four in the box office.

No one is going to see Fantastic Four. DBZ has already won this gambit.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

dragonball super has a higher "budget" than dragonball z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD18bzL3sJM

this guy was the animation director for episode 5. he's one of toei's older and better action animators, and animated a ton of fight scenes from the original dragonball z (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybiFm958WV0)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTsLhkL9bTc

this guy guest animated on it (he doesnt work for toei, and he's primarily a robot animator)

and it looks like crap

its amazing how bad scheduling can wreck a show, huh?

aers fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 10, 2015

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
I've watched the original run of Dragonball back in the 80s and I am pretty disappointed in how Super is animated and colored. It feels rushed and cheap. Like a flash animation. I'll still watch the series and get it on Bluray when it's out though.

Bonus Yamcha sucks so much they made a toy figure of him dead.

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

Whoops forget to attach this in my previous post.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Honestly i really love the bright colorful pallet of super.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Let's be fair

Dragon Ball has had like, what, 20 different studios work on it during its time? Something like that?

A lot of them did some subpar work.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Anything this bad?

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

In It For The Tank posted:

Anything this bad?

Holy poo poo that was looks like it was sketched on an iPad.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Anything this bad?

I mean there was the Metal Cooler movie, so... yeah. Things would get pretty bad, even when there was more budget to throw around.
Maybe it's faulty memory or exhaustion but I'm pretty sure there are even some GT scenes that look even worse than that.

Always been quite a grab-bag in terms of animation quality. Hell, compare that to previous episodes within Super, like, say, Vegeta's Family Vacation episode.

's Dragon Ball, man. This joke,

existed for a reason.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
In between frames never existed before the 2000s, and even if they did they were perfecccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccct

Don't get me wrong, I get bummed out by sloppy art as much as the next guy, but it's not worth getting that flustered over. I honestly wasn't impressed by the choreography/action animation in Revival of F, but it was still a fun movie. Would have been better if it was more like BoG, though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Even ignoring the individual cells of artwork that Goku vs Beerus fight had all the dynamism and fluidity of Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes, it honestly does look worse than it's twenty year old predecessor. This whole show has felt incredibly phoned in and rushed, the slice of life episodes have been incredibly dull too and nearly devoid of jokes and the pacing is glacial, I think I'm done with it

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Even ignoring the individual cells of artwork that Goku vs Beerus fight had all the dynamism and fluidity of Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes, it honestly does look worse than it's twenty year old predecessor. This whole show has felt incredibly phoned in and rushed, the slice of life episodes have been incredibly dull too and nearly devoid of jokes and the pacing is glacial, I think I'm done with it

Does that mean you'll stop bitching?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Testekill posted:

Does that mean you'll stop bitching?

If your love of DBZ is pure, I'm sure it can withstand someone saying a mean thing about it. But as I don't intend to watch any more of it, I expect my complaints will be fewer, yes

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Are we doing this? Because my favorite is this one:

It rests on this frame for like a solid minute and it's not even an action scene yet. What do I win?

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 10, 2015

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want that as a DLC quest on Xenoverse right now.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

You made me go look up who actually directed episode 5 and lol its Iwai, he's boring and terrible. I dunno what he's even doing on Super, the schedule must be mega tight for him to even have time, since he's still actively working on the show he mainly works on (Precure).

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Yeah DBZ had some shocking animation, I don't think anyone would disagree, but in a new series with a bigger budget it shouldn't be this awful so early on.

A frame here or there is excusable and understandable even, mistakes happen. That image is the type of stuff that was happening for most of the episode and it's not excusable at all.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Is it wishful thinking that the animation was so bad because they already did this fight in the movie and don't want to put forth the effort a second time?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
At the end of the day I enjoyed the episode despite the animation. A Gurren Lagann episode 4, if you will.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Asuron posted:

Yeah DBZ had some shocking animation, I don't think anyone would disagree, but in a new series with a bigger budget it shouldn't be this awful so early on.

A frame here or there is excusable and understandable even, mistakes happen. That image is the type of stuff that was happening for most of the episode and it's not excusable at all.

Do you not know how they sell blu-rays in Japan?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So why didn't they just cut up the movies into episodes and add some new footage for padding, seems like that would have been the more sensible route for this than doing it from scratch

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Because TV is advertisement for bluray releases, this is how they get their moneys back.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

So why didn't they just cut up the movies into episodes and add some new footage for padding, seems like that would have been the more sensible route for this than doing it from scratch

Why would anyone go buy BoG on DVD/BD if they're broadcasting it in chunks on TV for free?

RoF's Super run will be the same deal, of course.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The same reason anyone would buy any movie that gets aired on tv years after its theatrical run, I reckon.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Example of what they do to make money:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mordaedil posted:

:stare:

That doesn't even look like the same series.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

e X posted:

:stare:

That doesn't even look like the same series.

Yeah, that cheap 3D was really jarring to watch through for the broadcast version.

Bluray, man.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Mordaedil posted:

I- what- huh?!

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

WTF is this about? Educate me please.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bushmaori posted:

WTF is this about? Educate me please.

The only reason to read Kotaku is for funny dumb poo poo like this, quite honestly: http://kotaku.com/you-wont-believe-how-different-this-tv-anime-looks-1663102684

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That title is so clickbaity that it actually hurts.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurain posted:

That title is so clickbaity that it actually hurts.

It also for once, accurate; that is an absurd difference in quality

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Daytime shows aren't based around BD sales, with a few exceptions they sell like crap

And nighttime show "buy the bd" stuff is generally censored boobs, they don't intentionally make it look like poo poo, anime production is just that broken

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Anything this bad?

I feel the series would be improved if Beerus had that face all the time.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

aers posted:

Daytime shows aren't based around BD sales, with a few exceptions they sell like crap

And nighttime show "buy the bd" stuff is generally censored boobs, they don't intentionally make it look like poo poo, anime production is just that broken

Normally I'd agree with you but Toei pulled this with Sailormoon Crystal too , it's annoying as hell.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

I can't believe they let Brad Neely work on Dragon Ball Super!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Have people seriously never seen a low-budget episode of an anime before? :psyduck: I mean it isn't a good looking episode but the "The ORIGINAL never did this" stuff or the laughable argument "this is modern, ergo it has a bigger budget" is sort of bewildering.

Shards of Fate posted:

Whoops forget to attach this in my previous post.

I mean poo poo like this is straight-up ridiculous. If you wanted to compare the bottom you'd compare it to

instead.

• Locked thread