Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Drone posted:

WitP:AE is completely and totally different from WitE in every way. And WitP:AE is the perfect wargame.

Just get it.

Can't early logistical gently caress ups really hurt later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Chump Farts posted:

Can't early logistical gently caress ups really hurt later?

Just play Allies. Your industrial advantage builds up so much over time that you pretty much have to intentionally do everything wrong in the first year of the war to really stand any chance of losing the campaign.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
buy witp ae. its not only a game but a way of thinking.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Drone posted:

Just play Allies. Your industrial advantage builds up so much over time that you pretty much have to intentionally do everything wrong in the first year of the war to really stand any chance of losing the campaign.

The key with WITP and "winning" is to remember there's a difference between losing the game and losing the war. Allies will always win the war barring total and catastrophic fuckups that have to be pretty much intentional, especially against the AI. I would be extraordinarily surprised if an AI Japan has ever even come close to winning the war. But Allies can and do lose the game by taking too long to win the war. I wouldn't be surprised if Japan wins human-v-human games more often than not if you turn on the option that allows the Japan player to control their plane tech research/upgrades and the Japan player knows what they're doing.

But yeah, just play Allies to start. Do the Coral Sea, Buccaneer and Guadalcanal scenarios in that order (probably don't even need to finish Guad) and then you'll be feel relatively comfortable in the main campaign.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 8, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

dtkozl posted:

He is a dev? Then he definitely is a closet nazi that wishes he could invite hitler over to watch netflix and chill.

He'd like me, I have German Shepard Dogs :swoon:

I accept no blame for anything pre-HoI3 FTM though.

Koesj posted:

Well it is Darkrenown's game, so accusations of gross misinterpretation, or worse even, kinda immediately hit the personal sphere as well.

Well not entirely mine, but I did make the doctrine trees. I don't mind though, it honestly was a refreshing change.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

You guys are dicks. I've done 35 hours of WitE just since it's come to steam, 95 Case Blue, 45 WtP, and who knows how much non steam. I'll drink a bit then buy it tonight. Also dear Saros, earliest I'll be at my computer is a week from now.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Thats cool I'm on holiday anyway so no hurry.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I really should get back to play War in the East. I need someone to play with.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

ElBrak posted:

I really should get back to play War in the East. I need someone to play with.

How frequent do you want turns? I'm no better than we played last, but I'll do between one a day and one a week if you give me til next Sat to start.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Chump Farts posted:

How frequent do you want turns? I'm no better than we played last, but I'll do between one a day and one a week if you give me til next Sat to start.

Sure that'd be fine. And if anyone else wants to play too I am down with multiple games.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rule the Waves has sufficiently scratched my Naval Wargaming itch.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Alchenar posted:

Rule the Waves has sufficiently scratched my Naval Wargaming itch.

I know people keep saying they want NWS to do a WW2 version, but I'd actually rather see an Age of Sail game like Rule the Waves.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The problem with age of sail strategic games is how do you deal with the communication lag of a year + for some parts of the world.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't find Operation Buccaneer. :(

Grab the latest patch from Matrix Games.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

As loving amazing as the gesture is, I don't know if I can consider one goon buying WitP:AE for another to be a benevolent act.

More like an addict looking for someone to shoot up with a PBEM partner.

:v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's like a band-aid. You can rip it off now so it'll be over sooner, or do it slowly (Unity of Command, then Decisive Campaigns ...)

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Well, took the plunge on WitP. Once I'm back at my computer I'll have to gauge how much of a mistake I've made.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
How long is the deal on for? Grey Hunter's LPs got me interested, and I have the money, but I suspect I'd only play it for five minutes before throwing my hands up in frustration over the interface and age.

I'm not a very good grog.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Nullkigan posted:

How long is the deal on for? Grey Hunter's LPs got me interested, and I have the money, but I suspect I'd only play it for five minutes before throwing my hands up in frustration over the interface and age.

In that case definitely go on the matrix forums and download a 'first turn' savegame with all of the minutiae already done. Setting up the first turn in a grand campaign is extremely tedious. Also, automate the subs and accept that this'll halve their effectiveness or thereabouts but save you an assload of clicking.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Nullkigan posted:

For what it's worth, before I played WitP:AE, I had never played a wargame before. I've always been more of a RTS or simple turn-based tactics player ala Disgaea or X-Com. Other wargames have intrigued me, and I've picked up games like Hearts of Iron 3 before only to spend an hour "playing" and having no idea what was going on and concluding that wargames were not for me.

War in the Pacific is different. While the interface is a but cludgy, I found that Grey Hunter's LP had already taught me how to play most of the game before I even started the first turn, and the rest I picked up pretty fast.

While the game is exceedingly complex, don't feel like you need some sort of wargaming pedigree to play it. It's a huge game with a lot of moving pieces, but fortunately getting those individual pieces to do what you want is relatively simple. There are layers upon layers of further depth that you can get into when you start worrying about industry or pilot training and the like, but forming a task force of ships and sending it to disrupt an amphibious landing only takes a couple of mouse-clicks and gives you satisfying pay-off.

I guess what I'm saying is don't be intimidated by the game - if someone like myself, who has never played a wargame before can enjoy it, then those like you that have played wargames before should have no problem picking up the basics. This price is a steal - even at $99, the price that I bought it at - this game delivers more play per dollar than anything I've ever come across.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I had a click on that link to check out the UK price and it seems pretty reasonable, although I also noticed that Matrix are now including tax in their prices from the get go rather than showing the final price after you've added it to your cart and given all your details (gently caress you 20% VAT). Amazing rate of progress here, give it another few years and they might even stop announcing their season sales in a PDF file :unsmith:

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
This AAR presents a good guide to what to do on the first turn for the allies.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2564541

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

pthighs posted:

This AAR presents a good guide to what to do on the first turn for the allies.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2564541

quote:

1. DON'T PANIC! Game is immense, but you do not have to consume it all right away. Like family-size pizza, you can take it slice by slice.

The gooniest of reassurances. Thanks, this looks useful. Combined with the thing Gradenko posted I might just be able to figure this out, I hope.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Definitely don't go right for the grand campaign.

If anyone wants a friendly game of one of the smaller witp scenarios i'm always up for it. Guadacanal is pretty good for learning how to do amphibious operations as there's a limited amount of units around at the start and it's fairly even in terms of forces available.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I wish someone would do a first turn writeup for one of the smaller scenarios. I don't think I'm ready for a family sized pizza.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
don't listen to them. get the patch. play the grand campaign, scenario 001. don't stop for 5 years.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Baloogan posted:

don't listen to them. get the patch. play the grand campaign, scenario 001. don't stop for 5 years.

Okay!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Baloogan posted:

Baloogan's right. All you need to really motivate yourself is to start a WitP:AE LP thread. Then you're contractually obligated to finish it, and learn.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Baloogan's right. All you need to really motivate yourself is to start a WitP:AE LP thread. Then you're contractually obligated to finish it, and learn.

But you get so tired

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

COOL CORN posted:

I wish someone would do a first turn writeup for one of the smaller scenarios. I don't think I'm ready for a family sized pizza.

I think Coral Sea and Guadalcanal should start with first turn orders already suggested. Not that they're necessarily what you'd want to do, but it's something to start your work from.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Alikchi posted:

But you get so tired

Or your computer commits suicide when you start a second one.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I used to play Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin and had tons of fun with it. I was thinking of picking up one of the newer Combat Missions either Black Sea or the Syria one. Are they both quality games like Barbarossa to Berlin? Is one better than the other?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I used to play Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin and had tons of fun with it. I was thinking of picking up one of the newer Combat Missions either Black Sea or the Syria one. Are they both quality games like Barbarossa to Berlin? Is one better than the other?

Black sea is better than syria.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Syria uses an outdated version of the Combat Mission engine. My advice would be to download pretty much all of the available demos for the main CM games (Normandy, Italy, Red Thunder, Black Sea) and play all of them to see which one you'd prefer to buy.

Black Sea is real fun though.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I'm guessing/desperately hoping that the patches for WitP are cumulative, because I'm having enough trouble getting the game to auto-update itself so I'm going for manual patching, I don't want to have to do this for any more than the most recent one.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

markgreyam posted:

I'm guessing/desperately hoping that the patches for WitP are cumulative, because I'm having enough trouble getting the game to auto-update itself so I'm going for manual patching, I don't want to have to do this for any more than the most recent one.

They are. At least the last one, as it was an 'official patch', as opposed to the five (?) years of 'beta patches' it consists of. But I think even the betas were cumulative. There's a single dev at matrix fixing stuff, I guess he's got a couple hours a week to devote to it or something, but he's been cranking out more than 50 fixes and tweaks over the years.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I can't actually get it to download anyway. Either the launcher or the website, it gets to 100%, hangs for a while, then fails. Turned off the virus scanner, tried downloading through Chrome instead of Firefox, no luck :(

For some reason it never occurred to me to use the oldest, shittiest browser I had to try it. IE worked fine.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 10, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Supreme Ruler: Cold War is $1.99 on Steam this week.

These games are utter trash, right? It's got a 77% positive review though.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

They aren't utter trash, they are just painfully not living up to their potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Drone posted:

Also no point in getting this; better to hold out and get SR: Ultimate (provided you enjoy being disappointed).