Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bort Bortles posted:

What?
  • 1.) Tortured husk of a witcher under Temple Isle from the first Cat School hunt
  • 2.) Cat school witcher (I forget his name) that is interred in the Dragonslayer's Grotto
  • 3.) Lambert's friend that died
  • 4.) Jad Karadin
  • 5.) Where the Wolf and Cat play quest

George the Dragonslayer was Griffin school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jack of Hearts posted:

George the Dragonslayer was Griffin school.
I thought we ran into him because he was part of the Cat School gear quest, I must be mis-remembering.

In other news: I think I found a portal to the Drowner Dimension...

I actually cheesed about 2/3 of a level out of them because I was half watching a youtube video and half murdering these endless drowners.

Also I feel like venting: I really have to say that I loving hate the way human enemies work sometimes. They simply hold out their weapon and they can block for or five swings. It is just so infuriating when a dude with a bow and arrow gets swung at while drawing back an arrow can then have his little wooden blackjack drawn and blocking the swings of an angry tweaked out witcher repeatedly. These guys swing their arm up in the air and come running and if you mis-time your side-step or block by a hair you get whacked by the most obvious swing ever. I dont mind it that much in general but in crowds with archers shooting at you it gets old fast.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
^ It is fun watching those archers shoot their buddies sometimes though. Just maneuver the crowd between you and the arrows and those archers are suddenly on your side for a little while :unsmith:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Not sure if this is a bug or what, but: (end of act 2 spoilers)

Just before the Battle of Kaer Morhen I figured it was going to be a tough fight, so I loaded up on two decoctions, sharpened my swords and armour before heading into the forest with Lambert. Everything went fine, except when it switched back to Geralt after switching to Ciri for the first time, all of my buffs were gone :mad:

My decoctions were 0/1 so I couldn't re-drink them, and my toxicity had dropped back to 0 so I'm 99% sure they weren't active. And of course it's the middle of a heated battle so I couldn't meditate to regenerate them.

Is that supposed to happen?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Ran into a Godling. I guess they're meant to be annoying but I found them hilarious.

Really getting into the fairy tale and legend kind of stuff the game world has.

Strayer
May 19, 2006

webmeister posted:

Just before the Battle of Kaer Morhen I figured it was going to be a tough fight, so I loaded up on two decoctions, sharpened my swords and armour before heading into the forest with Lambert. Everything went fine, except when it switched back to Geralt after switching to Ciri for the first time, all of my buffs were gone :mad:

My decoctions were 0/1 so I couldn't re-drink them, and my toxicity had dropped back to 0 so I'm 99% sure they weren't active. And of course it's the middle of a heated battle so I couldn't meditate to regenerate them.

I don't know if it supposed to happen, but every time the game switches over to Ciri, it wipes any active buffs Geralt has going and it does not replenish your consumables. Found that out the hard way in the same place. You just don't notice it till then because the character switches are usually spaced pretty far apart from each other.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ularg posted:

Ran into a Godling. I guess they're meant to be annoying but I found them hilarious.

Johnny is great

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Ularg posted:

My father retold me stories his father told to him when he was a kid. He lived in poor rural area, to a point where they've gotten electricity in late 1960' or early 1970', so imagine how much different their world looked like. They've heard about godlings that when fed sour cream they'll prevent evil from entering the house, and that you have to be careful about sleeping in the forests or "zmora" sits on your chest and smothers you.
I'm sad there's no quest about finding a fern flower during summer solstice.

Strayer posted:

I don't know if it supposed to happen, but every time the game switches over to Ciri, it wipes any active buffs Geralt has going and it does not replenish your consumables. Found that out the hard way in the same place. You just don't notice it till then because the character switches are usually spaced pretty far apart from each other.

It must be a bug. I was using sings based build,so I didn't really care about it, but I guess I'd be pretty pissed had it happened to me and I was potion spec on higher difficulty.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
After reading the Beastiary entry on Godlings I got sad. They basically exist to hang around and help out rural towns. But because of the war destroying the more rural towns and the rest of people moving into Cities there isn't anywhere for Godlings to go.

:smith:

I also like the nice touch of Geralt asking if he was a Lutin. And the Beastiary mentions "Godlings (sometimes mistaken for Lutin)"

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

webmeister posted:

The times where the game won't let you meditate (not due to being in combat), simply going to meditate menu should replenish your potions. You should hear the replenish sound even though no time has passed. The game is pretty good about it, usually when it clears your toxicity.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

alex314 posted:

My father retold me stories his father told to him when he was a kid. He lived in poor rural area, to a point where they've gotten electricity in late 1960' or early 1970', so imagine how much different their world looked like. They've heard about godlings that when fed sour cream they'll prevent evil from entering the house, and that you have to be careful about sleeping in the forests or "zmora" sits on your chest and smothers you.
I'm sad there's no quest about finding a fern flower during summer solstice.

It must be a bug. I was using sings based build,so I didn't really care about it, but I guess I'd be pretty pissed had it happened to me and I was potion spec on higher difficulty.

The little description for Claywich mentions the fern flower thing.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

:witch: : "Do you desire us?"
:barf:

I'll fight the Wild Hunt anytime, just don't make me look at the crones again.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I just started the game and I thought for sure Geralt was going to gently caress the frying pan lady.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

He did but Dandelion didn't tell that part of the story.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

IronDoge posted:

:witch: : "Do you desire us?"
:barf:

I'll fight the Wild Hunt anytime, just don't make me look at the crones again.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

webmeister posted:

I don't know if this works where you are but this also happens during the final battle. I figured out that if you try to meditate the game will replenish your stuff but will say "you can't do that now!"

So there is a mechanic in place to let you replenish your stuff, yes.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The tapestry lied! Boners died!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Never change, Witcher.

The chosen drowner!

Speaking of water, the game didn't feel like loading any.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

"Lambert that hat was a memento"

"Relax old man, it'll come out in the wash."

I got to replay the best scene in the entire game last night and it was as good the 2nd time as it was the first time.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

NESguerilla posted:

I also thought the whole inventory system felt super bloated and needless. Overall it's a pretty easy game most of the items/perks felt like they were just there to clutter up the UI which is already pretty unwieldy to begin with.
This is probably something fairly consistent with the series' faults. I think that if there was a way to automatically break down a component that it could work well. You could substitute it in that ingredient list and perhaps block you from doing it anywhere other than at a smith if you want to keep crafting mostly a city thing. I don't care that a Noonwraith mutagen is green, it works the same as another monster-specific mutagen or a regular ol' mutagen there, right? Now, people could get pissed if a rather rare ingredient is chosen to break down for an item (see: alcohest being used up before Dwarven Spirit when meditating automatically) but there could probably be a little confirmation or indicator showing that you're going to consume a rare / uncommon ingredient in a spot that does not require it. So sure, go ahead and use a cave troll liver instead of a regular ol' monster liver if you just don't care. At least you won't have to think about balancing the ingredient B+tree used for crafting in the Witcher like you almost have to do now and manually breaking down everything constantly.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

necrobobsledder posted:

This is probably something fairly consistent with the series' faults. I think that if there was a way to automatically break down a component that it could work well. You could substitute it in that ingredient list and perhaps block you from doing it anywhere other than at a smith if you want to keep crafting mostly a city thing. I don't care that a Noonwraith mutagen is green, it works the same as another monster-specific mutagen or a regular ol' mutagen there, right? Now, people could get pissed if a rather rare ingredient is chosen to break down for an item (see: alcohest being used up before Dwarven Spirit when meditating automatically) but there could probably be a little confirmation or indicator showing that you're going to consume a rare / uncommon ingredient in a spot that does not require it. So sure, go ahead and use a cave troll liver instead of a regular ol' monster liver if you just don't care. At least you won't have to think about balancing the ingredient B+tree used for crafting in the Witcher like you almost have to do now and manually breaking down everything constantly.
I got through my first playthrough without needing to break anything down that I can remember. I have been meaning to break down fancy swords in my second playthrough, but the only reason to do that would be more money, and I am already rich as gently caress at level 8 sooooo

Ice Fist posted:

"Lambert that hat was a memento"

"Relax old man, it'll come out in the wash."

I got to replay the best scene in the entire game last night and it was as good the 2nd time as it was the first time.
I forgot to make a manual save spot before that last time and I cant wait to get there again so I can save it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I mean, I can at least understand the complaining about the inventory, but I really didn't find it that bad. My only real complaint is I wish it was an alphabetized list and not just a random smattering all over the place.

I do agree that I should be able to break down my 1,000,000 Noonwraith mutagens that are doing nothing.

As a sidenote, 1.08 changed the icons for mutagens to be different for each which was a nice touch.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I just hate how slowly it all scrolls. Going through a huge list of alchemic and crafting poo poo to see what you can craft, and what you need to craft stuff you're close to. Then having to use the right stick to go from the inventory to whatever is on the right. Either character bios, shop inventories or your character skills.

Could just use a button that lets you scroll up or down a couple of items at a time. Like a page-up/down.

Question: What the hell am I to do with all these items in my book slot of the inventory. books I looted from the world, wanted posts from Notice Boards. It won't let me shove them in a stash. And they take up inventory space, however little, and it adds up. I'm too afraid to drop them or dismantle them. Even if they're read I can't tell if I'm finished with what they go to to delete them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

JetsGuy posted:

As a sidenote, 1.08 changed the icons for mutagens to be different for each which was a nice touch.
I am still really let down that the mutagens only do three things (with varying degrees of strength). There is so much that could be done with the mutagens and it is just a flat boost to attack power, sign intensity, or health. The health one really screws the pooch, in my opinion; there should be ways other than stacking alchemy skills to increase the length of potions. I am especially critical of this because the combat is "slow paced" in that battles are not quick - there is a lot of positioning and waiting for your opponent to move, then you get in two or three hits, then you wait for another opening...a 20 second potion runs out super fast. If I have 10 points invested into two Alchemy skills AND have them slotted, that potion now lasts a whopping 30 seconds, which is still far too short - I should be able to have a mutagen that makes potions last longer.

edit: and along that thought process: why arent there blue mutagens that affect specific signs? Or Stamina regen? Let me specialize! Why isnt there a red mutagen for: bleeding, stunning, instant death, adrenaline gain, heavy attack power, light attack power, ect...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 10, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
mostly I think it's ridiculous how laggy and annoying to navigate the menus are. For example, when you first pop open the pause menu, you cannot use the shoulder buttons to navigate left and right. Only after you hit enter or down do the shoulder buttons navigate between pages. There are some menus where the right stick will let you scroll the field on the right, but not most of them. The stats screen is hilariously space inefficient.

Now, I understand that most of these problems don't exist on PC, so I understand how it ended up this way. It's just annoying because there's lots of games that have a similar amount of menus and inventory management that don't really have the same issues.

A lot of the screens have collapsible sections, but in the bestiary, for example, the top section is always expanded by default. Navigation of the inventory panel is pretty wonky, because if there's a gap in between two items, the cursor won't jump across it, you have to go up or down a column. This is incredibly unintuitive.

The menu navigation feels like it was done by a bunch of different people who just made up whatever method they thought made sense for whatever part of the UI they were working on.

In most games this wouldn't be as big of a deal, but in this game specifically, you spend A LOT of time in the menus, looking up monsters in the Bestiary, reading up on characters, checking you inventory, crafting, alchemy, quests.

Also, and this is a suggested feature, so i can't call it a complaint of the menu ui, but good god do I wish we could add custom annotations to the map. Or track multiple quests at once.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFbP-dKVgrk

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The menu is really my only complaint about this game. After an hour or so the combat and movement felt totally natural. I actually really like the combat and don't get the hate for it; it's very strategic and important to think about your surroundings and what you're up against, a bit different from 'hold down trigger until HP-sponge dies' (Skyrim), 'learn the attack patterns or die' (Dark Souls) or 'press triangle whenever the prompt appears' (Arkham/Mordor) that I've been used to. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed those games for different reasons, but W3 is the first game I've played where I've actually wanted to play it on the hardest difficulty just because the combat appealed to me.

For contrast, my previous favourite RPG was Ultima VII, which has loving horrible combat. Though I liked the inventory management in that, weirdly. At least I did as soon as you get a keyring, because that poo poo was annoying.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Need a 10 hour loop of this that transitions a bit better, please.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The start menu (saving, loading) makes me unreasonably irritated. Just because I can't use the same button to close that menu as I did to open it (start/options button). Have to use Cricle or hit Resume. Just seems needless considering on PS4 you bring up your inventory and such with pressing the track pad, and pessing the track pad from any part of that interface immediately brings you back into the game.

Also really annoyed with the jerky movement of the horse. Especially when you first get on and trying to go into a sprint. You get on, it goes forward on its own faster than the normal walk, then stops before you can control it. It also will just refuse to follow roads half the time, or freak out when you near a ledge you were planning on jumping across.

But don't take this the wrong way. I'm having an absolute blast. I loving love this game. This is one of the few RPGs I have been able to stick with, considering I'm more of a dude-bro shooter gamer. I'm on "Return to Crookback Bog" and having the time of my life with this game.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Menus have been mildly irritating to me, but the big one for me is that once modding tools come out, I am going to try and make a map mod that adds custom notes (e.g. "this dude sells runestone diagrams") and puts smaller dots on the map for objective locations from all of your quests. Some of the best times I had in Skyrim were obsessively making sure I only go to a location if I can progress in multiple quests there. Here, I just feel like I'm jumping around too much.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

This and the farting / laughing are my favorite.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gorgolflox posted:

This and the farting / laughing are my favorite.

Help me, I'm dying... of poverty

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
On that Baron's Family Quest. I've made mistakes. Huge mistakes. Can't believe the domino effect at play.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ularg posted:

On that Baron's Family Quest. I've made mistakes. Huge mistakes. Can't believe the domino effect at play.

It's genuinely fascinating the way that works out. I'm a chump and ended up having my girlfriend explain the domino effect because she restarted at a later save before I got there for various reasons. It's insane.

Also of note, Dandelion's first side quest. That one sure is something. By the end of it I felt mentally exhausted. In game Geralt was overburdened so I was relying on weight potions. He was drugged out and low on everything because I didn't even want to meditate. Like, it's a loving side quest. It was on a whole other level compared to when most games really kick in on the main quest. I haven't experienced the actual post quest outcome but I'm really anxious to find out how everything heals and the inevitable consequences.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Ularg posted:

It is so loving excellent. I don't know how you played it, but I was literally excited about how totally unsure I was about whether I'd done the right thing.

I feel like it's pretty rare for a video game to deal with stillbirth without insulting the maturity of the player. And then somehow continue to get even more serious while maintaining moments of genuine humor. It's like the writers had some sort of respect for the reader.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Ularg posted:

Question: What the hell am I to do with all these items in my book slot of the inventory. books I looted from the world, wanted posts from Notice Boards. It won't let me shove them in a stash. And they take up inventory space, however little, and it adds up. I'm too afraid to drop them or dismantle them. Even if they're read I can't tell if I'm finished with what they go to to delete them.

Sell them to Marcus on Heirlach square or whatever the gently caress it's spelled.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Literally Esoteric posted:

It is so loving excellent. I don't know how you played it, but I was literally excited about how totally unsure I was about whether I'd done the right thing.

I feel like it's pretty rare for a video game to deal with stillbirth without insulting the maturity of the player. And then somehow continue to get even more serious while maintaining moments of genuine humor. It's like the writers had some sort of respect for the reader.

I was asked by the Crones to take care of this thing under a tree. Found this druidess that was cursed by the crones. Could barely understand it because I didn't have subtitles on. Ended up freeing it because the Crones seemed like evil people anyway.

Felt awful when it ended up murdering the nearby town, just for associating with the Crones. Felt awful that the druidess freeing the children probably got Anna cursed into a monster then dying.

I'm a failure :negative:

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Help me, I'm dying... of poverty
Crack up every godamn time I hear this, it's the delivery. He nailed it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ularg posted:

I was asked by the Crones to take care of this thing under a tree. Found this druidess that was cursed by the crones. Could barely understand it because I didn't have subtitles on. Ended up freeing it because the Crones seemed like evil people anyway.

Felt awful when it ended up murdering the nearby town, just for associating with the Crones. Felt awful that the druidess freeing the children probably got Anna cursed into a monster then dying.

That also probably wasn't a druidess, but the evil spirit that created the Crones in the first place. NEVER TRUST GHOSTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Ularg posted:

It's been said before, but the Witcher series gets choices like this so right it's amazing. As just one man (even with mutant reflexes), there's really no way you can possibly hope to save everyone in the world. Every choice has its upsides and downsides, and many times you have to weigh your choices without knowing what the outcome will be. Even when you do choose, you're often left wondering if you could have somehow done something different. That's a REAL choice.

For me, it hit home at the beginning of the Dandelion quest in Novigrad. I track down one of his love interests, and she's being harassed by Whoreson's henchmen for protection money. I step in, still foolishly hoping to be the knight in shining armor, and cut them all down. The woman then explains that she has to move because Whoreson would just send more, and there'd be no explaining how the first collector's ended up dead. I realized that trying to play the hero was actually the worst thing I could have done. :(