Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Rape. :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Part of me is like ok there's no reason not to be inconsiderate the other part of me is we are on a forum called Something Awful idk I'll choose not being inconsiderate I suppose.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Pretty spooky of me to play mafia with all these ghosts.

These ghosts of people dead to me.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Runaktla posted:

Part of me is like ok there's no reason not to be inconsiderate the other part of me is we are on a forum called Something Awful idk I'll choose not being inconsiderate I suppose.

I don't understand

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
i fell asleep during hot fuzz but liked shaun of the dead, learning that the end of the movie is the best part i may give it another try

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

i fell asleep during hot fuzz but liked shaun of the dead, learning that the end of the movie is the best part i may give it another try

Hot fuzz is one of my favorite movies.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Forest Gump is one of my favorite movies. I saw it in the dollar theater when I was younger, and I hadn't seen the trailers for it or knew what it was about going in. I thought it was going to be a boring movie about polluted forests, as if gump is some kind of toxic goo

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Pretty spooky of me to play mafia with all these ghosts.

These ghosts of people dead to me.

Hi Keane. What's NoOoOoOoOoOoOo

~I'm HaUnTiNg YoUr BlEnDeR oOoOoOoOo LoOk HoW iT dOeSn'T bLeNd PrOpErLy~

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
WEEKEND CHAT: I had the best weekend of all y'all

My sister is in the early stages of being a hardcore backpacker (she wants to hike the Pacific Crest Trail at some point etc) and she took me on a beginner backpacking trip. We went to South Manitou Island.

The first thing we did after setting up camp was to go and snorkel one of the fifty known shipwrecks littering the Manitou Pass (apparently it was a really efficient but dangerous shipping lane back in the day). Here's video of some other guy checking out the wreck -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTLj3itAlXg

That whole thing where I was worried about leaving a day early? Yeah, that first day there was the only one with good weather for snorkeling. If we hadn't left a day early, we would have been miserably cold and fighting some pretty choppy water.

Anyway, please enjoy my vacation photos, mafia thread!

This was our camp. Our camp was the best camp. It was improved day 2 because a bunch of glamping hipsters showed up for a bachelor party and took over the site next to us. They were cool and they packed in a bunch of booze and weren't hiking all day so they actually had enough energy and patience to build a fire with the really damp wood that was there.

I'll thumbnail the rest to spare y'all

Day 2 we hiked through an old growth cedar forest. South Manitou Island has an incredible amount of biodiversity for such a small island. There's some plant life that's scattered all over, but there are points like this one and then you go another quarter mile and it's all arid and full of scrubby juniper. We saw four or five areas that all looked very different from each other. This area was so gorgeous they build a little boardwalk and some benches for quiet contemplation or whatever. We didn't quietly contemplate anything because we were being eaten alive by mosquitoes.

After the cedars, we headed up the dune trail. You guys, this was terrible. I have been a smoker for ten years. That trail you see in front of you? That's the last of three dunes we opted to climb. You can get some perspective from checking out those tiny people up top. I felt like I was gonna die before I got to the top. Oh and also, it's only halfway to the beach. You have to climb six dunes like that to get to the beach from there. And then there's no way to get back except to turn around and climb all those dunes again. Dunes are pretty but they are terrible.

You can see the rest of the trail snaking away there. ugggggh. Anyway we sat up there and cooled off and ate lunch and I took about a million pictures.

Day three we tried to visit some of the historic sites. We ran a little short on time so we only got a cursory look at the Historic Farms (which is spoken with reverence anytime someone mentions them) but we did get to check out this cool old cemetery. There were only a few graves with markers, although there were a bunch of unmarked graves. All the markers were from the 1800s and most people died between 20-30 years old, but one dude lived to 70 -- "Tho gone to sight, to many dear."

While trying to check out a Historic Farm, we kinda lost the trail. It was awfully pretty, though.

It really is a beautiful island, with a lot to do and see. I think we did about six or seven miles a day, and we didn't see everything. I could have spent a whole weekend just snorkeling the shipwrecks, and I would have if the weather hadn't sucked the last couple days of the trip. Basically if you're in the midwest and you want a really cool adventure you should check this place out. It was pretty sweet.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
Weekend chat: Well I didn't rape a can of worms like Mikujin.

Friday night was a Magic draft (because I'm that kinda nerd) and I took second in a very close final. Then Saturday the wife & I marathoned season 18 of South Park which is awesome - probably some of their best work. Then yesterday I watched Mr. Robot which is a very disturbing television show and I have no loving idea why I watched all the episodes that are out because it's seriously hosed up.

Oh and Hot Fuzz is far and away better than Shaun of the Dead IMHO - and yes primarily for the final act of the film.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
LUTR those are very nice pictures and I'm glad you had a nice time. I lived in Michigan for most of my childhood and we used to go boating in Lake St. Clair a lot, reminds me of the little islands we'd beach on and explore when I was a kid. ~memories~

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Kumbamontu posted:

LUTR those are very nice pictures and I'm glad you had a nice time. I lived in Michigan for most of my childhood and we used to go boating in Lake St. Clair a lot, reminds me of the little islands we'd beach on and explore when I was a kid. ~memories~

I've tried moving around a bit and I always come back to Michigan. A couple years ago I realized that Michigan is the best and I can't imagine loving a place as much as I love this state. It kinda has everything -- there's wilderness and soft sandy beaches and awesome food and tacky tourist traps, small quiet towns that are great for raising kids and fun cities with lots of things to do, and nowadays we are kicking rear end in the craft beer scene.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Mackinac is always really fun too, we never got up there enough. I'd love to revisit it, haven't been back to Michigan in ~12 years or so

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'm glad you had a nice trip LUTR!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I am going to do my first magic draft this Tuesday. I've never played Magic before. Is there a quick way for me to learn? I play Hearthstone.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

merk posted:

I am going to do my first magic draft this Tuesday. I've never played Magic before. Is there a quick way for me to learn? I play Hearthstone.

If you want a pdf, https://www.wizards.com/magic/rules/mtg9edrulebook_en.pdf

If you want a game, Magic Duels (which is not great as a competitive platform, but does have a competent tutorial for Magic) is free to play on Steam.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I just had a job candidate cancel an interview on me because they could not find parking.

Amazing.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

merk posted:

Probably get one of the Steam Magic games just to learn how to play in general. Its a bit more complicated than Hearthstone for sure.

Drafting is more complicated as well because you kind of have to figure out what kind of deck you are making early in the process because you can only really run 2 color cards in a magic draft.

JakeP fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 10, 2015

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

I just had a job candidate cancel an interview on me because they could not find parking.

Amazing.

lol

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

This candidate also gave me a screenshot of their resume when I asked for a copy of their most up to date one.

Working on the other side of the interview table has inspired me to submit for jobs way out of my league next time, because eventually I'll get lucky and the company will have to settle. Much like my dating strategy.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I have a MTGO account I haven't played in years

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Amazing.

That's a smart candidate. If they can't find parking now, it will suck later and isn't worth it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

That's a smart candidate. If they can't find parking now, it will suck later and isn't worth it.

The work is in a different location than the interview.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I mean like I know you are joking but holy moley.

My boss wants me to reschedule him for tomorrow so we will see.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

I mean like I know you are joking but holy moley.

My boss wants me to reschedule him for tomorrow so we will see.

Schedule the interview to be at the statue of liberty all the way at the top and no using the elevator YOU'LL KNOW IF HE USES THE ELEVATOR

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Schedule the interview to be at the statue of liberty all the way at the top and no using the elevator YOU'LL KNOW IF HE USES THE ELEVATOR

yeah he won't be saturated and dripping with sweat

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Come on guys you know you want to

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734891

I need at least a couple more people.

I'm closing signups tonight!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Not to interrupt whatever the hell that was but one more player for my game and we can start

Edit:nm it's all good

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Is mafia more fun/less annoying than it was 3 months ago

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Is mafia more fun/less annoying than it was 3 months ago

Mafia is as fun as you make it.

Join CPig's game.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Asiina posted:

Join CPig's game.

I promise I won't make you a scum firefighter

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
no diqnol join my game, it is a good game for good people such as yourself.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
join all the games.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Never join games IMO.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Keane, play in this mid sized summer ecco game and maybe it will be fun for both of us

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Keane, play in this mid sized summer ecco game and maybe it will be fun for both of us

Will we be allies or foes?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
No don't play in Ecco's dumb game, play in CPig's dumb game.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

CCKeane posted:

Never join games IMO.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

CCKeane posted:

Amazing.

How long did they look? There are at least two very different potential stories here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Will we be allies or foes?

It depends on the time of day, but I'd say whichever you think is funnier.