Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Touchfuzzy posted:

What does the game say the minimum iLevel requirement is for that trial? That's the iLevel you should be at. Others suggest an i170 weapon.

There is no requirement for bisex other than 8 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

The answer is that if you can get 7 competent people and are a DPS, you could probably go naked.
Otherwise you probably want your upgraded law weapon at least.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
It's infinitely easier with a full law set and 180 weapon but I have managed to do it with a PF group with only 170 weapons.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Touchfuzzy posted:

What does the game say the minimum iLevel requirement is for that trial? That's the iLevel you should be at. Others suggest an i170 weapon.

The suggestion for an i170 weapon comes from the fact that BisEx has a non-trivial DPS check very early on and randomly assembled parties, even in party finder, have a lot of trouble with it. Never forget that people are bad.

If you're a DPS with a certain level of quality (like, say, asking in advance what the actual recommended gear level is) then you're often in the position of carrying the worse DPS through that check, so you want to be as geared as you can.

None of this applies if you go in with a premade from a FC or people you know, obviously.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Warren posted:

It's infinitely easier with a full law set and 180 weapon but I have managed to do it with a PF group with only 170 weapons.

It drops 175 weapons so it was clearly intended to be done with 170 weapons. Its certainly hard with 170 weapons, but its progression content at that ilvl so of course its hard.

rudejerk
Jul 22, 2014

Actual Shit
Grimey Drawer

ilifinicus posted:

it is a lot more interesting if you're the guy in the Gobwalker

The only thing good about being the guy in the Gobwalker is the jump animation and you know it.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Positive posted:

The only thing good about being the guy in the Gobwalker is the jump animation and you know it.
I quite enjoy the entire shift around mobs so everyone can hit things bit more than that

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vil posted:

It's worth bearing in mind that some people play this because it's Final Fantasy MMO and some people play this because it's Final Fantasy MMO.

Group A might enjoy the story well enough but they stick around for the fights and the grouping and the challenge and gear grind and social aspect and pretty potato dress-up.

Group B might range from tolerating to kinda-liking the game content per se, but are primarily interested in seeing it for the story, and will often stop playing for long stretches and come back occasionally to catch up on story.

(This is, of course, by no means binary and there's plenty of overlap. My point is that there can absolutely be people for whom the MMO aspect holds no appeal or even serves as a drawback.)

Either way, the required grouping to get through the story is relatively minimal. It's nothing worse than you encounter on the way to 50, namely a dungeon or an easy trial here and there. You don't need to be the Super Awesomest Person Ever at gameplay to get through that stuff (although you'll certainly get through it faster and cleaner if you are), but it's a good idea to at least make sure you've got the basics down.

This is pretty much what I think. This and Star Trek Online are the only MMOs that I've put any time in mostly because I like the franchises. FFXIV has the added benefit of being an absolutely gorgeous game with great art direction and a the kind of soundtrack one expects from a Final Fantasy title. The actual gameplay grind is probably the most unappealing aspect to me.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
There's an All Servers downtime scheduled tonight for hotfixes, so all right-thinking individuals who want to roll on Excalibur should make plans to be around when they come back up.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lord Psychodin posted:

So even if I get the expansion, essentially no since I hate group content other thsn FATE stuff huh ? drat.

The secret world is a single player mmo and it has cutscenes like gta.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

KaneTW posted:

You can't talk about difficulty when you have i200 weapons.

Doesn't change the fact that the actual mechanics of the fight are boring.

Speaking as a tank though, prolly more interesting for the guy in the gobwalker.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm not really sure why anyone would play an MMO when they hate group content.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

seiferguy posted:

I'm not really sure why anyone would play an MMO when they hate group content.

Some people are really bad with money.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I like this game. I has cute things.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

ilifinicus posted:

I quite enjoy the entire shift around mobs so everyone can hit things bit more than that

do you like conducting trains

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Is there a short list of advice I can give a Warrior friend of mine who just came back after quitting in 2.1? I've tried telling him what I'd do but I'm really bad at explaining how to play my own dumb job.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Have fun and Fell Cleave everything.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dr Pepper posted:

I like this game. I has cute things.

I wish I could have that back instead of the Garuda-egi :sigh:

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I wish I could have that back instead of the Garuda-egi :sigh:

One day.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Doublestep posted:

do you like conducting trains
it is revenge for all the wash away in A3S

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

vanbags posted:

So does DRK bring anything to the table that WAR doesn't? I ask in all sincerity because I'm finally 190 ilvl on my warrior and I'm looking to level up something new while I search for a static raid.

I was leaning towards a DPS class, but I was considering trying DRK since I wouldn't have to gear it. Do they have the DPS potential of WAR or are they just more tanky?

As a WAR main who just got DRK to 60, it was fun and cool and I'm glad I have it but I also did BLM first and that has been much more useful as it has gotten me into some Ravana farms that needed a DPS, among other things. You'll get way more mileage out of leveling a DPS or healer.

It feels good to hit 60 and then suddenly be in i190 and the DRK story is fun but you will not get out of DRK what you want. WAR is the best DPS of any of the tanks hands down. DRK has some neat versatility tools and is great for magic damage tankbusters, of which there are plenty in raid content, but I have not hit anywhere close to the DPS numbers I hit on WAR, so far that even though there's some room between me and the skill ceiling, it still wouldn't bridge that gap.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Getting into crafting is causing me to run out of inventory space, I'm thinking of making a bank-mule alt. I guess some things never change.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/255145-What-if-stat-customization-was-purely-cosmetic

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SirPhoebos posted:

Getting into crafting is causing me to run out of inventory space, I'm thinking of making a bank-mule alt. I guess some things never change.

You do have both of your free retainers, right? Also don't keep every little mat you come across as some are absolutely worthless that you can buy for pennies off the market board.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I just finished the Hildibrand questline and its the most amazing thing ever. I'm sad its over, I hope he comes back in a heavensward update.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Finally got to level 30 and became a dragoon. I love this jump ability and hope there are many more jump abilities in my future

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I've been playing this game recently and have a level 38 Monk. I recently got to the part where the imperials killed a bunch of scions, including Noraxia! What did she(he?) ever do to them? Unforgivable.

Even though I recognize that the game-play mechanics in this are generally a bit (but only a bit) inferior to those in WoW, I find myself enjoying the setting (environments/music/characters) a lot more and really enjoy the Main Scenario quests. Monk is the only class I've played (other than Lancer to 15 of course), and its main play style gimmick is pretty fun (though it seems to effectively gimp you in solo content, since I get the impression Monk damage is tuned around the assumption that you'll be hitting most of your positionals).

edit: spoilered the plot thing just in case

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Ytlaya posted:

So I've been playing this game recently and have a level 38 Monk. I recently got to the part where the imperials killed a bunch of scions, including Noraxia! What did she(he?) ever do to them? Unforgivable.

Even though I recognize that the game-play mechanics in this are generally a bit (but only a bit) inferior to those in WoW, I find myself enjoying the setting (environments/music/characters) a lot more and really enjoy the Main Scenario quests. Monk is the only class I've played (other than Lancer to 15 of course), and its main play style gimmick is pretty fun (though it seems to effectively gimp you in solo content, since I get the impression Monk damage is tuned around the assumption that you'll be hitting most of your positionals).

edit: spoilered the plot thing just in case

WHat makes it inferior to WoW, in your opinion? The only thing I see other former WoW people complain about is the higher GCD, which is a matter of personal preference.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ArtIsResistance posted:

Finally got to level 30 and became a dragoon. I love this jump ability and hope there are many more jump abilities in my future

You get 4 in total. One is your normal jump and just is effectively a ranged attack. One is a distance closing jump that also has a stun. Another is a higher damage distance closing jump that has an aoe. And the last is one where you jump backwards a good distance and cuts your enmity in half. It's really handy for moving around in fights once you know how to use it right.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SirPhoebos posted:

You can only mail 20 items at a time to someone, if your not selling items on the market board put stacks for 999999999. You will get rich or have 40 extra slots.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
hi

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mr. Nice! posted:

You do have both of your free retainers, right? Also don't keep every little mat you come across as some are absolutely worthless that you can buy for pennies off the market board.

Of course I have my free retainers

Besides, I sort of want to see the other starting MSQs anyway, so the extra inventory space is another benefit.

I;m both upset and impressed that SE charges a per month fee for additional retainers. They certainly know what players really value.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm torn on what to level next now that DRG is finished. I kinda wanna level another ranged DPS, since SMN is my only one currently and I'm generally kind of 'ehn' on it right now, so I've got it down to either BLM or MCH. Probably BLM; that's what I would have originally taken to 60 instead of SMN but complaints about Enochian scared me off at the time.

Anyway, how hard is Enochian and BLMing at 60, really, especially if I'm already used to managing (and losing :() GL3 and BotD? Does it ultimately boil down to a set rotation like DRG does or is it kinda fiddly?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Truga posted:

Yes, post 50 dungeons give tons of exp again.

HW dungeons are actually pretty poo poo for XP compared to FATEs in HW zones, now that they've buffed them. A full dungeon run barely gives me a fifth of a bar, while running FATEs can get me nearly a full level in an hour.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I'm torn on what to level next now that DRG is finished. I kinda wanna level another ranged DPS, since SMN is my only one currently and I'm generally kind of 'ehn' on it right now, so I've got it down to either BLM or MCH. Probably BLM; that's what I would have originally taken to 60 instead of SMN but complaints about Enochian scared me off at the time.

Anyway, how hard is Enochian and BLMing at 60, really, especially if I'm already used to managing (and losing :() GL3 and BotD? Does it ultimately boil down to a set rotation like DRG does or is it kinda fiddly?

It can be kind of fiddly but most of the whining about it are people upset they have to learn how to use a new thing, and with experience comes practice learning how to get around fiddly times. It's my off class and I don't get a lot of practice, but the little I do I improve every time. It's fun to make gigantic fireballs and explosions. The only major problem I have is that you don't get Fire IV until 60 so you don't really get to practice while levelling.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Ciaphas posted:

Not difficult at all, the new rotation just keeps you on your toes a bit more.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ciaphas posted:

It is literally the easiest mechanic to learn, Fire3>fire4x3>Bliz3>Bliz4>repeat. OmG 4 buttons!

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

TLC's Hoarding Buried Alive: FFXIV edition

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Pews posted:

TLC's Hoarding Buried Alive: FFXIV edition

the wedding invitation is from my own wedding, on 12/30/2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

If you need more space, you can store a lot of those things in an armoire, and there are a ton of low level craftable items that you don't need to keep around.

• Locked thread