Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You might be over-thinking this. At the top of 4th gear at 8250 RPM with 3.73s, you would be doing 180mph.

edit: assuming the gearing matches the magnum XL. The car will hit 60mph in first gear, run the 1/8th mile at the top of second in about 8 seconds flat, and run out the 1/4 in about 11.5 seconds at the top of 3rd gear. If it takes 4 secconds to hit 60mph, 3 of those seconds would be under 6250 leaving 8.5 seconds for the rest of the 1/4 to stay in the 6250-8250 range.

It also leaves 2nd at 8250RPM at 85.5mph into 3rd at about 5700 RPM, so assuming an 11.5 second 1/4 and 8 second 1/8th, that's 5.5 seconds to run from 5700-8250rpm in 3rd, meaning at least 0.5 seconds from 5700-6250, so there's your extra 1/2 a second.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

You might be over-thinking this. At the top of 4th gear at 8250 RPM with 3.73s, you would be doing 180mph.

Like I said, how many tracks have straightaways like that? The Daytona road course? :v:

Also, we aren't taking into account whether it even makes sense to delay shifting up by that long. Depending on the actual power curve, the extreme upper end of that RPM range might only really be useful in short bursts where you otherwise have to choose between banging off of the limiter or shifting up for a very short time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

it's still over 500hp right from 7000rpm to 8250.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Seems to hit a brick wall at 6000RPM, odd. Could that be an intake restriction at the top end?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Seems to hit a brick wall at 6000RPM, odd. Could that be an intake restriction at the top end?

Oh the times we live in, where a naturally aspirated engine producing north of 350 ft*lbs above 6000 RPM counts as 'hitting a brick wall'

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well anyway back to new cars you like

I think this might be taking the new Lexus design language a bit too far. On the other hand the other new Lexuses have all turned out better in person than in pictures so we'll see.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Throatwarbler posted:

Well anyway back to new cars you like

I think this might be taking the new Lexus design language a bit too far. On the other hand the other new Lexuses have all turned out better in person than in pictures so we'll see.

:stare:
Amazing

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Luxury SUVs are supposed to look massive and ugly so I'd say the styling is spot on inside and out

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

For a second I thought it was some bad "apply front end of x onto y" mod. But that's factory :barf:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

On the other hand the other new Lexuses have all turned out better in person than in pictures so we'll see.

No they haven't.

Source: I've seen the newer Lexus models in person.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

HotCanadianChick posted:

No they haven't.

Source: I've seen the newer Lexus models in person.

Most people think they're alright.

Source: gangbusters Lexus sales.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Uncle Jam posted:

Most people are also idiots.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

That thing is hideous, but at least you don't have to look at it from that comfy looking interior. I wish I could afford an older IS250/350 to be cosseted in back and forth from work. Sweating half to death in a manual miata in houston traffic is getting really old. And that's after recharging the weak rear end AC.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its hideous and gaudy which is exactly what people want see: Escalade

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

BloodBag posted:

That thing is hideous, but at least you don't have to look at it from that comfy looking interior. I wish I could afford an older IS250/350 to be cosseted in back and forth from work. Sweating half to death in a manual miata in houston traffic is getting really old. And that's after recharging the weak rear end AC.

I highly recommend beater SC400s. 17mpg and expensive parts but everything else is great.
And new Lexi do look better in person but it's more the difference between a fresh steaming turd and a turd that's dried up and doesn't smell anymore. Source: My dog ninja-poo poo in the spare bedroom a couple months ago and I just found it the other day.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

loving Cylon cars.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

BloodBag posted:

You are apparently my Houston doppelgänger, this summer in Dallas has been a killer.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Uncle Jam posted:

Yeah, a coworker bought a new gs350 and it's a hell of a lot nicer place inside than the new 5 series.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I like that Lexus is still trying to see just how far they can go with their thesis that the existence of luxury cars is an impure affront to engineering excellence.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Is that a ford flex with camry lines?

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I literally thought this was going to be us having a laugh at the cheap Chinese Lexus knockoff, but that exterior is on an actual Lexus product, holy poo poo.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Christobevii3 posted:

Is that a ford flex with camry lines?

I saw it on my phone first and thought it was a Highlander with a Lexus grille, until I realized the scale of it and remembered the Highlander is on its third generation and no longer looks anything like that.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
On the plus side it's a re-badged Land Cruiser so once you pay your $85,000+ it should last 300,000 miles. On the other hand that's a long time to look at that stupid loving grille.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
That's not the worst example of questionable Lexus design though. Check out the dash for the RX 350 which looks like it would be at home in a 1997 Taurus:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
dat gearshift

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Dislike button posted:

That's not the worst example of questionable Lexus design though. Check out the dash for the RX 350 which looks like it would be at home in a 1997 Taurus:

[tg]attachment:831876[/timg]
Are you sure that *isn't* a '97 Taurus?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Dislike button posted:

It's a bit dated design wise, and anyway it's already been replaced, but the materials are quite nice and I found nothing objectionable about the ergonomics.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Throatwarbler posted:

It's a bit dated design wise, and anyway it's already been replaced, but the materials are quite nice and I found nothing objectionable about the ergonomics.

Agree with this. Lexuses(I?) are really nice places to be.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Just to be clear that's the interior of the 2008 RX. The 2016 RX is much better.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Just to be clear that's the interior of the 2008 RX. The 2016 RX is much better.

That is not any better.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KillHour posted:

That is not any better.

Well they sell over 100,000 of them a year, so I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you're just being edgy for the sake of being edgy? :shobon:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Throatwarbler posted:

My nits to pick:
- Red stitching on brown leather? why not cream stitching that would look 1000x better
- steering wheel needs to be brown leather too, it's a luxury car after all.
- center console has some stupid chris craft teak and holly thing going on that looks completely out of place in a modern design exercise.
- the center console sweeps up from left to right, making that an entirely useless space that could have been a nice place to rest a smartphone, instead it'll slide left on the 'decking'
- why's the ipad on the dash not have parallel sides? what's with the canted right side?

I'm sure it's like a rolling living room, but some of those design decisions seem...unpleasant. I still think the E46 interior is prettier looking.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BloodBag posted:

I'm sure it's like a rolling living room, but some of those design decisions seem...unpleasant.

Well just look at the outside for a series of further unpleasant design decisions.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BloodBag posted:

My nits to pick:
- Red stitching on brown leather? why not cream stitching that would look 1000x better
- steering wheel needs to be brown leather too, it's a luxury car after all.
- center console has some stupid chris craft teak and holly thing going on that looks completely out of place in a modern design exercise.
- the center console sweeps up from left to right, making that an entirely useless space that could have been a nice place to rest a smartphone, instead it'll slide left on the 'decking'
- why's the ipad on the dash not have parallel sides? what's with the canted right side?

I'm sure it's like a rolling living room, but some of those design decisions seem...unpleasant. I still think the E46 interior is prettier looking.

There's a slot for your phone, has wireless charging too.

The wood trim is laser etched Yamaha piano poo poo. It's a lot more appropriate here than it would be in a 3 series.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Seriously, who was the guy who greenlit red stitching on brown leather? Lexus/Toyota designs have totally gone off the rails this generation. Execution is still ok but the design is really bad.\

Also, the black leather gusset on the gearshift.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
So what youre telling me is if I want a throwback 1990s interior I need to buy a Lexus

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I love the red stitching on the brown leather

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

I think this is gorgeous and most of the other modern Lexus vehicles have equally great interiors, but gently caress that silver swoopy center stack on the prior models. That would be a dealbreaker for me because I would never stop noticing it. At least you can't see the spindle grille when you are inside the car.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
They still insist on jamming a CD player in there, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It has an analogue clock. In 2015. ^^