Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
When pax was in puppy class, the trainers sent out an email to everyone re tug and said that it was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

hatty posted:

Close the lid
Yes that is what I am doing currently but I would like him to ideally stop wanting to drink out the toilet in the first place

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

hatty posted:

My corgi puppy has been scratching herself a lot more lately. It's not fleas so a vet appointment is set for this coming Friday in case it's allergies . Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Oatmeal baths are supposed to help but I'm a little wary of home remedies.

My dog gets itchy dry skin when the air is dry, adding fish oil to his food has helped a lot with the itchiness. You can pick some up in the supplements part of pretty much any pet store.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
New puppy here: maltese shitzu mix. Got her at 8 weeks and she's about 13 weeks now. She's been really pleasant to have. She's crate trained already and is generally pretty well behaved. A few questions:

She has not had any accidents in her crate, and we've been taking her outside every few hours, after meals, and before bed time. She'll still find ways to sneak off and piddle. Its only once every few days and most of the times its usually RIGHT after we've brought her in from outside and she has done her business. What can I do to remedy this? I want to train her to do the "bells on the door" thing to signal us. But she's shown no interest in them.

Any way to curb the overexcitement when she gets near your face and starts doing little bites and licks simultaneously? I know its a puppy thing but she'll launch at your face if she can get close enough in the attempt to get some licks in.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Whenever my pup wanted to go out, I'd make her sit then grab her paw and hit the bell with it, give her a treat and put her out. Took a little while for her to figure it out, and she doesn't exactly use her paw...just slams herself into them, but they jingle and I let her out.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
gently caress. Kids, man.

My in-laws just came over unannounced with two little girls, aged 3 and 6, they were babysitting. Eldest had said she was scared of dogs so my mother in law brought them over so they could touch a smaller, non-threatening dog. Sterling is pretty stand-offish of strangers so both parties were kind of leery of each other to begin with. We told them to be careful because he's still got stitches from his cryptorchid neuter 9 days ago. They proceed to get over their fear, take completely no notice of us showing them how to gently play with him in a way that he enjoyed and instead attempt to hit him with a Chuck-It Launcher and flirt pole, chase him and try to corner him because that's fun. So we stop them, lead him away and get them to leave - but not before the eldest picked up a toy, ran to him and threw it really hard at him yelling FETCH.

Aside from being annoyed because I should have just crated him and told my in-laws to go practice on a 100% confident dog; I was kind of amazed because I've never really come across kids that have come from pet free homes. These kids just had no idea. They couldn't tell when he was visibly nervous, they had no concept of how to be gentle, and had no interest in listening to how to interact with the animal. They just went straight from terrified to trying to corner him and hit him with poo poo. I can't think of a better combination that will one day result in one of them being bitten. What the gently caress.

Luckily he has one small child friend which might help him get more used to kids - he's fallen in love with my step-niece who grew up with a husky and just has the best dog manners ever, and they just adore each other and he was distraught when she had to go to bed :unsmith:

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 9, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Tamarillo posted:

Aside from being annoyed because I should have just crated him and told my in-laws to go practice on a 100% confident dog; I was kind of amazed because I've never really come across kids that have come from pet free homes. These kids just had no idea. They couldn't tell when he was visibly nervous, they had no concept of how to be gentle, and had no interest in listening to how to interact with the animal. They just went straight from terrified to trying to corner him and hit him with poo poo. I can't think of a better combination that will one day result in one of them being bitten. What the gently caress.

And these kids turn into adults who have no concept of animal body language and end up getting bitten, or are the adult who runs screaming from a 5 lb chihuahua.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Tamarillo posted:

My in-laws just came over unannounced with two little girls, aged 3 and 6, they were babysitting. Eldest had said she was scared of dogs so my mother in law brought them over so they could touch a smaller, non-threatening dog. Sterling is pretty stand-offish of strangers so both parties were kind of leery of each other to begin with. We told them to be careful because he's still got stitches from his cryptorchid neuter 9 days ago. They proceed to get over their fear, take completely no notice of us showing them how to gently play with him in a way that he enjoyed and instead attempt to hit him with a Chuck-It Launcher and flirt pole, chase him and try to corner him because that's fun. So we stop them, lead him away and get them to leave - but not before the eldest picked up a toy, ran to him and threw it really hard at him yelling FETCH.

Luckily he has one small child friend which might help him get more used to kids - he's fallen in love with my step-niece who grew up with a husky and just has the best dog manners ever, and they just adore each other and he was distraught when she had to go to bed :unsmith:

If they want to come round again, put him away. You gotta protect your dog from lovely kids man and as you seem aware it's not fair for him to be the practice bitch for them.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bah, crate the kids instead

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Fraction posted:

If they want to come round again, put him away. You gotta protect your dog from lovely kids man and as you seem aware it's not fair for him to be the practice bitch for them.

Absolutely, I have zero intent of letting those particular kids near him again.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Apparently puppy ate deer poo poo and puked in the car :(

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

Apparently puppy ate deer poo poo and puked in the car :(
:rip: your car. The smell of lovely puke is loving rough.

Sidney has a habit of eating cat poo poo and then puking that night. Thank god for wood floors and leather couches.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

St Evan Echoes posted:

Thank god for wood floors and leather couches.

We actually got rid of our microfiber couch in favor of a leather one entirely due to dogs and dog hair. No regrets.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey it looks like the flea thread is archived so I couldn't ask there.

Is flea busters any use in a home with wood floors?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Yeah d. earth works on everything, its texture is so fine that it's "sticky" and pretty much stays where you put it.

e: assuming you just want to have it down in corners or something to kill whatever bugs come in, there's no point in putting it all over your floors for fleas

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 10, 2015

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So what's the best thing to do for a dog who is having runny poo poo, but is otherwise acting perfectly fine?

We were at a social event on Saturday and someone fed Sherlock a couple cat treats. He fed them to a few other dogs there, including his own, so we didn't figure he was a nefarious individual poisoning everyone.

But Sunday we woke up and Sherlock had poo poo in his crate. He puked shortly after, but we figure it was because he ate some of his runny poo poo...which was probably the worst smelling puke I have ever experienced. The rest of Sunday he poo poo normal, proper shits....but then this morning he poo poo the crate again and had more runny poo poo.

Wife checked up on him at lunch today and he was fine, but when I got home this evening he poo poo the crate again. I took him out and he expelled more runny poo poo, but no puking since yesterday morning. So we're not out of the woods yet.

Throughout all of it though: he's happy as a clam. No lethargy, no nothing...it's like nothing is wrong.

So what gives? We figure the cat treats probably made his gut a bit unhappy...but how do we fix it? I mean, is this vet-worthy? If he wasn't acting normal, we'd be concerned...but he seems to be absolutely unbothered by the current state of his butt.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Canned pumpkin is good for upset dog tummies, or you could pick up a few cans of Hills i/d. If that doesn't help and he's still got runny shits after a few days I'd take him to the vet.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Canned pumpkin is good for upset dog tummies, or you could pick up a few cans of Hills i/d. If that doesn't help and he's still got runny shits after a few days I'd take him to the vet.

Is this a meal replacement, or a supplement? Like half canned pumpkin, half normal kibble?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

Is this a meal replacement, or a supplement? Like half canned pumpkin, half normal kibble?

Either works, a lot of places suggest adding it to their kibble but it's fine by itself for a meal or two. It's mostly water and fiber so it'll help rehydrate him and help firm up the poops.

Plain rice and plain boiled chicken is also a good meal substitute for dogs who aren't feeling well.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DaveSauce posted:

We would add 2 spoons to his kibble and mix it well. We've also had good luck using probiotics powder (same stuff as you give humans).

Otherwise rice and boiled chicken works too.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Probably the wrong thread, but I'll ask anyway.

My dog has an ear infection (smells funky, head shaking, scratching). I didn't have any hydrogen peroxide, but I cleaned it out as best as she would let me with some betadyne. I'll have to take her in tomorrow to the vet, but that's the problem. Money is tight right now. If I can avoid a heavy vet bill and DIY I'd prefer that. But I don't think I'm going to be able to, and I'm not going to risk her health to save a buck.

I'm a competent person. Unless it needs prescribed antibiotics or antifungal, is there anything more I can do at home? The hydrogen peroxide thing is something I picked up from my Dad, but I don't honestly know if its good or bad.

Tramii
Jun 22, 2005

He's a hawk. A hawk. Can't you tell just by looking at him?

gromdul posted:

If I can avoid a heavy vet bill and DIY I'd prefer that. But I don't think I'm going to be able to, and I'm not going to risk her health to save a buck.

You basically answered your own question.

If you care about your dog, take her to the vet. You can talk to the vet about what options there are for treatment, but at least get someone with some actual medical training to look at it.

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
Hey, do you guys give your dogs rawhide chews? My dog loves to chew the poo poo out of anything. She can destroy things in record time.

I've heard they can cause blockages but I dunno. I've had dogs my entire life and probably fed thousands of rawhide chews. I've also never heard of anyone who had an issue. But these are just anecdotes obviously.

Does anyone know what the real risk is? My dog is medium sized. Not stupid enough to swallow huge chunks of it or anything.

Also, are brands like Dingo safer than the other types?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Generally I just avoid rawhide if I can. Bully sticks are pretty awesome, as are antlers if your dogs like them. Can't really comment on the quality of various brands.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Worf can chew on a rawhide all day. He's through a bully stick in 10 minutes. And the rawhide doesn't smell like a tanned cow dick. Unless your dog has a history of digestive problems rawhides are fine.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Took Lana to the vet, which was not fun with two young children with me. $80 to confirm my diagnosis and some ear drops. :negative:

When are we going to vote out these Republicans and get single payer pet care? :)

minarets
May 12, 2003

My husband and I are adopting a 4-5 month old puppy in a couple weeks (we've been approved by the shelter, but are waiting for her to be transported from her foster in the South to New England where we live). Two-three weeks after she gets here, we're travelling to the West Coast for 4 days to see my family. I looked into bringing her with us, but for several reasons it's not feasible. So our plan is to board her at a reputable place around here while we're gone, but we're concerned that being separated from us so soon might be traumatic. Thoughts?

Also, here is a picture:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tramii
Jun 22, 2005

gromdul posted:

Took Lana to the vet, which was not fun with two young children with me. $80 to confirm my diagnosis and some ear drops. :negative:

Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious. Hope she feels better soon!

Tramii
Jun 22, 2005

minarets posted:

So our plan is to board her at a reputable place around here while we're gone, but we're concerned that being separated from us so soon might be traumatic.

As long as you pick a good boarding location, your dog will never be "traumatized". I know we like to think of our dogs as children, but they really don't see it that way. Locking your dog in a dark shed for a few weeks would cause trauma. Leaving your dog with some nice people for a few weeks will not.

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.

gromdul posted:

When are we going to vote out these Republicans and get single payer pet care? :)

Did you ask the vet what the drops were and if there was something you could do at home next time? An ear infection might be something that pops up again.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
There's really no good DIY at-home remedies for ear drops. At least I don't know of any.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Re: rawhides-- I never give them to my dogs. My one dog can digest them just fine but the other turns into a vomit fountain immediately afterwards. I much prefer bully sticks. I used to give them pig ears but any pork products cause them to produce horrific dog farts so for my own wellbeing they don't get pork anymore.

minarets posted:

My husband and I are adopting a 4-5 month old puppy in a couple weeks (we've been approved by the shelter, but are waiting for her to be transported from her foster in the South to New England where we live). Two-three weeks after she gets here, we're travelling to the West Coast for 4 days to see my family. I looked into bringing her with us, but for several reasons it's not feasible. So our plan is to board her at a reputable place around here while we're gone, but we're concerned that being separated from us so soon might be traumatic. Thoughts?

We had to leave town for a weekend less than a week after we got our first dog and he was fine.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

loldance posted:

Did you ask the vet what the drops were and if there was something you could do at home next time? An ear infection might be something that pops up again.

It's printed right on the box. I can just hit the web and find it I bet.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tamarillo posted:

My father in law loves my dog and tries to be gentle with her, but has no idea how to pick up a dog. It's so weird watching him try to hold her, I guess I always assumed it was something natural, not a skill.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
My little brother is the same. He's 10 now and has no idea how to behave around dogs. He teases them, pushes his face right into theirs and tries to scare them. He thinks it's all funny. I really need to have a sit down with him and teach him a thing or two, before he gets snapped at or worse.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
New dog question!

I adopted a two year old Portuguese Podengo (small) from an shelter around two months ago.

He was super scared at first but in a couple of weeks he calmed down and is now a really sweet, calm dog. He either sleeps or follows us around the house, that's literally all the guy does, so a good, chill dog in general. We haven't found a toy he likes playing with yet, but he enjoyed a squeaky pig for like two days before growing bored with it. Only peed inside the house once and after that first correction (a gentle one, since he was still scared of us/the house) he's been extremely good and waits for the walks.

All in all, no complains around the house. However, he has started developing some quirks on walks. At first he was still scared and we think he might've lived all of his life in the field instead of a city, since regular busy noises like closing of doors and cars made him really nervous. He has mostly grown used to it by now and we can go for walks without much issue.

However, even though he's neutered, he has started to get weird around other dogs, mostly the males but sometimes females as well. He approaches normally at first and then starts growling, then chasing the other dog in a not-so-friendly way. Not aggressive per se but close, as if protecting his territory or us. He also marks whichever spot the other dog marked and growls loudly if the dog approaches.

What I'm trying to do is get close to him if he's with another dog, get down to their level and start petting them both while talking calmly to them. It... sorta works, but if I'm not there then he'll go back to being a cranky dude.

Dogoons, how should I approach this? I really want him to get along with others and in the shelter he had no problems with anyone, nor the first month we had him, so I'm thinking my wife and I are at fault here and somehow he feels like he needs to protect us from the other dogs.

Another thing: how can I stimulate him to play more? I bought a 10m leash since he's not great at returning when called, and tried throwing balls, toys, small mammals, chasing him, you name it. He's only interested in sniffing around, peeing and rolling around in the grass. All good but without him playing I'm afraid he's not doing enough exercise (maybe he's lazy like his owner). Any ideas?

edit: Here he is, tried to make him play Xenoblade Chronicles but he's not into JRPGs either!

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 13, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

How is he off leash with other dogs? Some dogs develop barrier aggression so they get worked up when they see another dog on leash/behind a fence but are okay off leash. My one dog is a hellbeast if he sees another dog while he's on leash or on the other side of a fence but off leash he doesn't really care and only gets snippy if another dog wanders into his personal space and doesn't leave.

And it's totally possible he just doesn't like other dogs and forcing it isn't going to make that change. Since you've had him for two months he's probably finally coming out of his shell and he feels more comfortable and confident expressing his opinions about things like "hey I don't really want dog friends".

Lots of dogs aren't into the toys thing either. I've got two and one's all about the toys and playtime and the other couldn't give less of a poo poo and is content to hang out and go on an occasional walk.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Just went to the airport and picked up little Boris today. I was a bit uneasy about live cargo shipping a brachycephalic dog but it all worked out and now this little cutie pie is romping around

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

flashman posted:

Just went to the airport and picked up little Boris today. I was a bit uneasy about live cargo shipping a brachycephalic dog but it all worked out and now this little cutie pie is romping around

Oh boy.No attitude there!. (Love Frenchies!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
We brought this little girl home yesterday. Mobile posting (never posted a picture on mobile) so apologies if I break tables. Just yell at me and I'll try and fix it if I do.