Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

ActusRhesus posted:

Once again. He was not shot for smashing cars. He was shot for his alleged behavior once law enforcement arrived.

Stop saying he was shot for destroying property. That's not how causation works.

He was shot because he posed a threat to the officers. He posed a threat because they recklessly approached someone acting erratically without regard for their own safety. They approached because their training is awful and is entirely about shows-of-force and escalation until they achieve compliance. They arrived at the scene with that training because he was smashing cars.

That is how causation works. The immediate cause is #1, but #3 is the reason he's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ActusRhesus posted:

Actually we have a number of black victim capital cases here.

Do you think you could actually post it instead of just stating things without anything to back it up?

Also does anyone have a breakdown over what happened? Did the cops just turn up and immeadiately shoot him? Or did they turn up, try and get him off the top of the car, taze and then shoot? I've read several versions of the events so far and none of them really match up.

Harik posted:

He was shot because he posed a threat to the officers. He posed a threat because they recklessly approached someone acting erratically without regard for their own safety. They approached because their training is awful and is entirely about shows-of-force and escalation until they achieve compliance. They arrived at the scene with that training because he was smashing cars.

That is how causation works. The immediate cause is #1, but #3 is the reason he's dead.

This isn't really fair though is it. If someone was smashing up someones house or car and the police arrived, I'd expect them to try and get them to stop.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Raerlynn posted:

So then perhaps non lethal force, such as the aforementioned calling backup and subduing the offender with numbers would be the better response?

Do you just read headlines and not the whole story? Go back and read the entire post that I was quoting. It was a question of overall policy, not this particular case.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

serious gaylord posted:

Do you think you could actually post it instead of just stating things without anything to back it up?

Also does anyone have a breakdown over what happened? Did the cops just turn up and immeadiately shoot him? Or did they turn up, try and get him off the top of the car, taze and then shoot? I've read several versions of the events so far and none of them really match up.

At the risk of being doxxed? No.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Harik posted:

They approached because their training is awful

tell me what they do for training, specifically

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

ActusRhesus posted:

Well seeing as the poster himself seems to have confirmed my reading, I'm not sure I did misread it.

As to your "two points" I am having a very hard time understanding what you are trying to convey.

I was talking about AreWeDrunkYet, who has not posted after the post we (or I) was talking about.

As to your difficulties I am very sorry communication is so hard for you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Stop with the slap fights, please. The thread is gonna get locked again.
We discuss poh-leece, not posters.

Pretty please.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

botany posted:

As to your difficulties I am very sorry communication is so hard for you.

AR wasn't being a prick to you dude. How do you expect someone to respond to dumb poo poo like this?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

Once again. He was not shot for smashing cars. He was shot for his alleged behavior once law enforcement arrived.

Stop saying he was shot for destroying property. That's not how causation works.

Unless his behavior included being in the process of killing someone, I don't see how the cops actions could be justified.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

mastervj posted:

Unless his behavior included being in the process of killing someone, I don't see how the cops actions could be justified.

No one said it was justified. He wasn't shot for smashing cars, which a lot of people are saying.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Cole posted:

Where did i once say the cops should have shot the guy?

I said cops shouldn't stand around and watch someone destroy property.

If they are gonna end up killing someone, yes they should.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

serious gaylord posted:

This isn't really fair though is it. If someone was smashing up someones house or car and the police arrived, I'd expect them to try and get them to stop.

Police don't even have a duty to step in to protect your life, so no, I don't expect them to needlessly risk their own lives to prevent a smash-and-grab on my car stereo. I expect them to act professionally, and if that means in their judgment it would needlessly endanger themselves or the suspect to approach alone that they should document the theft and follow the suspect while waiting for backup.

When I say judgment, I mean after retraining on acceptable use of force and de-escalation and how not to be an idiot cowboy with a hip full of courage.

Cole posted:

tell me what they do for training, specifically

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/12/police-gun-shooting-training-ferguson/383681/

Harik fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 10, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Harik posted:

Police don't even have a duty to step in to protect your life

what the gently caress do you think police are for?

i'm not asking what they do, i'm asking what you think the intended purpose of police are

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cole posted:

Its from 2005 so might have changed but here

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/justices-rule-police-do-not-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect-someone.html

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

believe it or not, the constitution is not the be all, end all for laws or policies.

it's illegal for me to burn your house down, but it doesn't say that in the constitution.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mastervj posted:

If they are gonna end up killing someone, yes they should.

The problem here is that generally police don't have the benefit of hindsight to know when they are going to kill someone.

I absolutely agree that training needs to me more about persuasion than command presence and force, but you are presenting an unreasonable standard here. If the arguement is that the police should interfere with a property crime unless the police are going to kill someone, you have created a no win situation.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That's to avoid lawsuits based on the fact that you can't save everybody.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Cole posted:

i'm not asking what they do, i'm asking what you think the intended purpose of police are

Intended? Suppression of minorities, protection of business interests, revenue gathering and a veneer of civilization. That's the historic resposne. "Protect and serve" is the current blue-washing but they've fought against being held to that, as Jose pointed out.

The police exist to protect the status quo, not you, and not your property. They're agents of the state, not bodyguards or mall security.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cole posted:

believe it or not, the constitution is not the be all, end all for laws or policies.

it's illegal for me to burn your house down, but it doesn't say that in the constitution.

I'm not from the US, I just assume that is what people are talking about when they say the police don't have a duty to protect someone

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Jose posted:

I'm not from the US, I just assume that is what people are talking about when they say the police don't have a duty to protect someone

they are knee jerk reacting to a report that says it isn't constitutionally mandated that police protect you.

it also isn't constitutionally mandated that doctors treat you or firefighters put out a fire.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

nm posted:

The problem here is that generally police don't have the benefit of hindsight to know when they are going to kill someone.

Yes, but as a society we can collectively look at their actions, and how they're trained, and determine that that aggressive assert-control-at-all-costs style does, in fact, result in needless shootings.

Then we can change that, because as a society we do have the benefit of hindsight to shape future policy.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Cole posted:

they are knee jerk reacting to a report that says it isn't constitutionally mandated that police protect you.

it also isn't constitutionally mandated that doctors treat you or firefighters put out a fire.

They're not legally mandated to either, or it wouldn't have become that particular constitutional question. Aside from their "protect and serve" slogan, what do you have that documents the police's obligation to you?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Harik posted:

, and how they're trained

again, tell me how they are trained, specifically.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

I should have posted an excerpt with that, me culpa:

quote:

Police training starts in the academy, where the concept of officer safety is so heavily emphasized that it takes on almost religious significance. Rookie officers are taught what is widely known as the “first rule of law enforcement”: An officer’s overriding goal every day is to go home at the end of their shift. But cops live in a hostile world. They learn that every encounter, every individual is a potential threat. They always have to be on their guard because, as cops often say, “complacency kills.”

Officers aren’t just told about the risks they face. They are shown painfully vivid, heart-wrenching dash-cam footage of officers being beaten, disarmed, or gunned down after a moment of inattention or hesitation. They are told that the primary culprit isn’t the felon on the video, it is the officer’s lack of vigilance. And as they listen to the fallen officer’s last, desperate radio calls for help, every cop in the room is thinking exactly the same thing: “I won’t ever let that happen to me.” That’s the point of the training.

More pointed lessons come in the form of hands-on exercises. One common scenario teaches officers that a suspect leaning into a car can pull out a gun and shoot at officers before they can react. Another teaches that even when an officer are pointing a gun at a suspect whose back is turned, the suspect can spin around and fire first. Yet another teaches that a knife-carrying suspect standing 20 feet away can run up to an officer and start stabbing before the officer can get their gun out of the holster. There are countless variations, but the lessons are the same: Hesitation can be fatal. So officers are trained to shoot before a threat is fully realized, to not wait until the last minute because the last minute may be too late.

But what about the consequences of a mistake? After all, that dark object in the suspect’s hands could be a wallet, not a gun. The occasional training scenario may even make that point. But officers are taught that the risks of mistake are less—far less—than the risks of hesitation. A common phrase among cops pretty much sums it up: “Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.”

Use-of-force training should also emphasize de-escalation and flexible tactics in a way that minimizes the need to rely on force, particularly lethal force. Police agencies that have emphasized de-escalation over assertive policing, such as Richmond, California, have seen a substantial decrease in officer uses of force, including lethal force, without seeing an increase in officer fatalities (there is no data on assaults). It is no surprise that the federal Department of Justice reviews de-escalation training (or the lack thereof) when it investigates police agencies for civil rights violations. More comprehensive tactical training would also help prevent unnecessary uses of force. Instead of rushing in to confront someone, officers need to be taught that it is often preferable to take an oblique approach that protects them as they gather information or make contact from a safe distance. Relatedly, as I’ve written elsewhere, a temporary retreat—what officers call a “tactical withdrawal”—can, in the right circumstances, maintain safety while offering alternatives to deadly force.

Edit: expanded the quotes.

Harik fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 10, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Harik posted:

Yes, but as a society we can collectively look at their actions, and how they're trained, and determine that that aggressive assert-control-at-all-costs style does, in fact, result in needless shootings.

Then we can change that, because as a society we do have the benefit of hindsight to shape future policy.

There's a difference between saying that the police should be training and operated with a culture that sees preservation of all human life as its main goal and uses force as a last resort and saying that the police shouldn't intervene in a situation involving only property damage if there is even a slight chance of death.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

nm posted:

I absolutely agree that training needs to me more about persuasion than command presence and force, but you are presenting an unreasonable standard here. If the arguement is that the police should interfere with a property crime unless the police are going to kill someone, you have created a no win situation.

As long as any cop who kills a person does not have a good chance (no additional info, pure stats) of going to jail for at least manslaughter, you are gonna keep getting this end result.

If you find that cops actually need to regularly kill people to perform their duties, you don't need cops: you need soliders.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

DARPA posted:

Some news that isn't unarmed black teens being gunned down by police scared of their inhuman demon power.

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/home/downloads/pdf/press-releases/2015/NYCSafeFactSheet.pdf

Mayor DeBlasio, of NYC, has funded a program targeting the violent mentally ill, with a focus on the homeless. A system is being set up which will funnel information to a central hub, puts mental health professionals on teams with social workers to coordinate treatment, and maintains contact with patients on the street for monitoring.

Overall I think it's a pretty good divergence from the current standard of arresting the mentally ill, and cycling them through the justice system just to release them untreated guaranteeing another run in with law enforcement.

Still not doing enough.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

nm posted:

There's a difference between saying that the police should be training and operated with a culture that sees preservation of all human life as its main goal and uses force as a last resort and saying that the police shouldn't intervene in a situation involving only property damage if there is even a slight chance of death.

Why not? Why not just wait it out? Who the hell cares about stuff?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

mastervj posted:

The guy who's poo poo is getting broken.

Do you know what happens to a small business owner if you destroy their business? It's not like wal-mart where there are four in the town they can go work at.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Cole posted:

The guy who's poo poo is getting broken.

Do you know what happens to a small business owner if you destroy their business? It's not like wal-mart where there are four in the town they can go work at.

Sorry, but to me that's nothing compared to a dead kid. And at least potentially we can solve the problems of the business owner. Not so much for the corpse.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Harik posted:

I should have posted an excerpt with that, me culpa:

Right, so that's not a great source. It's a former Tallahassee police officer, current law school professor at U of SC who's been making the rounds based on his former police status to sell confirmatory writing to a few different audiences. His statements are categorical and unsourced.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mastervj posted:

So in every situation involving a property crime, the police should just sit, watch and let him have his fill?
Or only in those where someone might possibly die?
And if it is the latter, how shouldbthey know what is what?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

mastervj posted:

Yeah why not just sit back and watch while someone trashes that shop. Oh he's set fire to it. Its spread to the rest of the block. Oh well, its just stuff after all. Whoops, there was an old lady who couldn't escape her building in time and burnt to death.

Now obviously thats not going to be the situation 99.9% of the time, but I have to think 99.9% of arrests for property damage don't end in someone getting shot either. Although I'm quite happy to be proved wrong on that.

Although if it becomes common knowledge that the Police will not stop someone from destroying your car or whatever, it wouldn't be long before you had property owners shooting them instead, and they'll do that with much less provocation and an even greater degree of legal getting away with it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Right, so that's not a great source. It's a former Tallahassee police officer, current law school professor at U of SC who's been making the rounds based on his former police status to sell confirmatory writing to a few different audiences. His statements are categorical and unsourced.
I've reviews a few LEO police trainings and it is fairly true for some of them.
The poblrm is even with systems like POST police training is so balkanized, it is hard to say what they say. However, I'd venture that intentionally or unintentionally at least 50 of cadets leave training scared shitless.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

nm posted:

It doesn't take hindsight for officers not to put themselves or anyone else at harm over property damage. No one is saying they shouldn't respond, or protect themselves if they are legitimately being threatened. Just don't close to the point where an unarmed person can create enough of a threat by being non-compliant. Orders can be given from a distance, and if the suspect simply isn't cooperating but only damaging property, well then, I guess some property is going to get damaged. The police can continue to monitor the situation, try to talk them down (or have experts try to talk them down), and wait to respond with deadly force until the suspect begins to threaten something other than property.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Discendo Vox posted:

That's fine, this isn't a legislative session, this isn't being put into law. I'm fine with an informal op-ed as a response to a question posed to me as an all-lowercase oneliner.

If you have a better source I'd like to read it, though. Even/especially if it disagrees with mine.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I guess some property is going to get damaged

but somebody else, that "some property" could be how they make a living. destroy that and you destroy their life because you didn't want to physically stop someone from breaking their poo poo.

is that what you will tell them? "i guess your property is going to get damaged."

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It doesn't take hindsight for officers not to put themselves or anyone else at harm over property damage. No one is saying they shouldn't respond, or protect themselves if they are legitimately being threatened. Just don't close to the point where an unarmed person can create enough of a threat by being non-compliant. Orders can be given from a distance, and if the suspect simply isn't cooperating but only damaging property, well then, I guess some property is going to get damaged. The police can continue to monitor the situation, try to talk them down (or have experts try to talk them down), and wait to respond with deadly force until the suspect begins to threaten something other than property.

Yeah. What's so hard to get?

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Cole posted:

but somebody else, that "some property" could be how they make a living. destroy that and you destroy their life because you didn't want to physically stop someone from breaking their poo poo.

is that what you will tell them? "i guess your property is going to get damaged."

Only if for reason you think you can't, for example, mandate insurance for this kind of thing. Or, you know, the scary word (taxes) (for everybody, but specially the rich).

And yes, you tell them that. It ends up being better for everybody, and you don't even have to mag dump on random people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Cole posted:

Yes, it is. Then the person who damaged it will be in jail instead of in a grave, and your plight will be noticed instead of the outcry over yet another unarmed black teenager shot by police.

This isn't that difficult. Property is less important than people.

• Locked thread