Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Antwan3K posted:

Brave New World is one of the worst novels of all time

this on a forum with an active thread about The Scarlet Letter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Antwan3K posted:

Brave New World is one of the worst novels of all time

it's not the worst novel out there, but it's definitely amongst the most overrated

the prose is absolute trash

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I am glad roadside picnic got retranslated, and also the Master and Margarita

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm currently reading Against the Day via audiobook and it's not going that well. Considering the century old pop culture, infinite amount of characters, and general Pynchon... ness it seems I'm going to have to switch to a hard cover. I have a job/commute that affords me around 4 hours of audiobook a day so does anyone have any recommendations that might be more amenable to that format?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've mentioned before that David Vann is really good and that you fuckers need to read him

Where should I start?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Where should I start?

Aquarium has the single most powerful passage I have read in years so start there

Also for audio books I recommend authors with a good voice. David Sedaris is arguably better to listen to than to read. Baxter Black is also a fantastic orator of his own books.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
This is my vote for book of the month September/October

http://www.amazon.com.au/Submission-Michel-Houellebecq-ebook/dp/B00XGX9IAG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439165595&sr=8-2&keywords=submission

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've been continuing through One Hundred Years of Solitude, slowly taking my time with it and I'm finally getting close to the end. That rant that is a two-page long sentence is one of the greatest things I've ever read.

Also people keep dying like every twelve pages now. :smith:

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

CestMoi posted:

I watched the first episode of A Young Doctor's Notebook today under the impression that it was an adaptation of A COuntry Doctor and now I really wish someone would make that somehow.

there is an anime adaptation of it

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I'm halfway through Coetzee's Disgrace and holy poo poo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Beyond sane knolls posted:

I'm halfway through Coetzee's Disgrace and holy poo poo.

It's so good. Kinda amazed you were able to put it down to post

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's so good. Kinda amazed you were able to put it down to post

I didn't put it down to post. I put it down to give my heart/soul a break.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Beyond sane knolls posted:

I didn't put it down to post. I put it down to give my heart/soul a break.

I had the opposite reaction. I read the thing in a single sitting because I was never at a moment I was comfortable leaving the characters fates unresolved

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This thread has been praising Coatzee for as long as I can remember, but I can't remember which specific books. I might take a hike over to the book store. Which one should I get first?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

This thread has been praising Coatzee for as long as I can remember, but I can't remember which specific books. I might take a hike over to the book store. Which one should I get first?

Disgrace is pretty much the zenith of Coatzee and the best place to start

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Disgrace is pretty much the zenith of Coatzee and the best place to start

Thanks and gently caress the steelers, god bless

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Waiting for the Barbarians is also pretty good.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Aw, you guys are getting it like a month before the US.

October's going to be insane, there's new Houellebecq/Mitchell/Valente/Wolfe novels all coming out within like two weeks of each other.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I just finished reading Hopscotch using the regular sequence. What a beautifully written book, but Jesus Christ all the characters in that book are just so unlikable. I'm going to start the non-linear sequence now, hoping that somehow Olivera stops being a horrible jerk.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Pentaro posted:

I just finished reading Hopscotch using the regular sequence. What a beautifully written book, but Jesus Christ all the characters in that book are just so unlikable. I'm going to start the non-linear sequence now, hoping that somehow Olivera stops being a horrible jerk.

bad idea.. The second part is only conceptually related to the main plot. You should have read it the "hopscotch way" right away imo

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm reading Beckett's Trilogy atm and it owns hard but I wish I'd known that there was a dang 80 page paragraph hahaha.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
My vote for book of the month is the moonstone

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I vote Shoplifting from American Apparel

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I vote you mother fuckers who aint commented on Between the World and Me get the gently caress on it

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's not available in my city :(

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

Its a book, get the e-version drat

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

V. Illych L. posted:

Why do you live in a sundown town

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I live in an ivory tower

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why do you live in a sundown town

i live in norway it's probably coming here once it's been translated. atm there's one shop in oslo that's got it, and i'm not going to oslo to buy a book

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its a book, get the e-version drat

i keep breaking my e-readers

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

it's literally :10bux: on amazon for the kindle version.

V. Illych L. posted:

i live in norway it's probably coming here once it's been translated. atm there's one shop in oslo that's got it, and i'm not going to oslo to buy a book

I bet my old jeans' left pocket that Amazon ship paperbacks to here too.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

V. Illych L. posted:

i keep breaking my e-readers

You can read it on your phone unless you keep breaking that as well.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Anyone here read Room by Emma Donoghue? I just finished it in less than 24 hours (320 pages). It hit me emotionally more than perhaps any other book I have ever read.

From a literary standpoint, this book is really interesting. Because it is written in the voice and language of a five year old, it eschews attempts at beautiful imagery, metaphor, and extended ruminations on life. But what it lacks in stylistic beauty, it achieves so much in terms of emotional impact. It takes a deep look into motherhood and trauma, and a child entering the world. I know that I will be thinking of this book for years to come.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Anyone here read Room by Emma Donoghue? I just finished it in less than 24 hours (320 pages). It hit me emotionally more than perhaps any other book I have ever read.

From a literary standpoint, this book is really interesting. Because it is written in the voice and language of a five year old, it eschews attempts at beautiful imagery, metaphor, and extended ruminations on life. But what it lacks in stylistic beauty, it achieves so much in terms of emotional impact. It takes a deep look into motherhood and trauma, and a child entering the world. I know that I will be thinking of this book for years to come.

I actually own it and have been looking for a chance to read it. I've read her most recent book Frog Music but its so different in style and tone as to be a completely different novel

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Room felt like Readers Digest story in book form, I read it when it came out and still haven't decided if that's a good or bad thing..

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I recommended it to one of my colleagues a few years ago, and she sounded devastated about the book afterwards, and never asked for a book rec. again.

I haven't read it myself, but it sounded like a better-than-average weepie and she said she wanted something touching. Maybe I should've gone with something i'd actually read.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
I read Disgrace by recommendation of this thread and found it to be awful. The writing style was wonderful, and it was easy to read. Content, on the other hand, turned from okay to terrible. The actions of the characters did not fit in well with their personalities. The themes explored were superficial and did not try to bring in any sort of new perspective.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ProSlayer posted:

I read Disgrace by recommendation of this thread and found it to be awful. The writing style was wonderful, and it was easy to read. Content, on the other hand, turned from okay to terrible. The actions of the characters did not fit in well with their personalities. The themes explored were superficial and did not try to bring in any sort of new perspective.

Why did you think it didn't fit their personalities?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Just finished slogging through Montaigne's Essays. Took a long time but it's definitely worth it. There's times when he'll just build a weird argument and sum it up in the perfect pithy sentence and you find it impossible to disagree. It has all the makings of a book I'll return to again and again. Everyone should read at least some of them. Especially On Some Lines of Virgil and To Philosophise is to Learn How to Die.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ProSlayer posted:

The themes explored were superficial and did not try to bring in any sort of new perspective.

Yeah gonna have to expand on this because what the absolute gently caress are you talking about

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I just finished Hard Rain Falling by Don Carpenter and it was very good, intense, heavy - parts of it incredibly well written. though i thought the final 1/4 or so was not as good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

quote:

Why did you think it didn't fit their personalities?

Lucy's apathetic response to her situation after spending her entire life as a self-sufficient, independent woman. David's "accepting his life" after living it as stubbornly as he did. I understand people change, but the character transformations in this book are unrealistic.

quote:

Yeah gonna have to expand on this because what the absolute gently caress are you talking about

The plot in Disgrace was very cliche. The themes that stood out in this book: racism in South Africa, animal cruelty, and rape. Nothing in the story made me think "a-ha" that's an interesting perspective or a new way of portraying an idea. There was nothing original and the characters weren't realistic.