Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
If you don't watch that last ATE, can you get that chest Marcus opens up in the background?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Mega64 posted:

We've got plans for that Moogle Suit. Actually, I don't know if you actually do anything with the Moogle Suit, but it's ours now, dammit.

FF5 and FF6 both had opportunities where you could dress as a moogle, where in FF5 you can use a costume to seduce a moogle into giving you an elven mantle, and in FF6 it was a costume that Strago and Relm could wear and appear as a moogle in-battle.

Another example - X-2 opens with Yuna disguised in a moogle suit, and it's the costume for her Mascot dressphere.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You know, in all the years I've played this game, I don't think I've ever been to the Industrial District. You're never required to go there.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Dastardly posted:

I like that they bothered animating the clock machinery and making it chime just so Garnet could tell us that her ATE takes place at the same time as Zidane visits the hideout.
It's one of the many ways that this game handles transitions EXTREMELY well in keeping with its pacing, showing you very clearly how certain events are taking place at the same time as each other.

I love this, I love everything in Lindblum.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

MelvinBison posted:

If you don't watch that last ATE, can you get that chest Marcus opens up in the background?

Yes, but you miss out on a very important key item later, because technically Cinna never tries to make the coffee.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

kalonZombie posted:

Yes, but you miss out on a very important key item later, because technically Cinna never tries to make the coffee.

And any outcome that leads to less coffee is a Bad Outcome. :colbert:

Lindblum is usually where my desire to keep replaying the game tanks, though. There's just so goddamn much to do and see, and it makes me realize how much longer the game is, and crap, I like watching the ATEs, but I think I've already spent enough time to lock myself out of Excalibur II, and....

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Edward_Tohr posted:

but I think I've already spent enough time to lock myself out of Excalibur II, and....

Psst. That's why you Gameshark it in later. gently caress this "12 hour time limit" bullshit, the person who made that hates everyone and everything that is good. Otherwise they wouldn't have forced people to rush through and ignore this lively game, all for equipment for just one character.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Or just... ignore it? I've never really gotten the anger about the Excal 2; it's an optional challenge for once you've played the game a ton of times.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Kyrosiris posted:

Or just... ignore it? I've never really gotten the anger about the Excal 2; it's an optional challenge for once you've played the game a ton of times.

It's basically the sort of bragging rights award that's meant to appeal to completionists. In order to get it, you have to completely ignore every instinct towards completionism you might have.

Basically it inspires anger because its target audience is people who will never actually get it, but it existing at all nags at the same mentalities that would make them the target audience to start with. The game's taunting them.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I think we can all agree it's like the Sword of Kings on the whole "ooh fun, decently strong, but also useless, and also way too much work" thing.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Gnoman posted:

Another example - X-2 opens with Yuna disguised in a moogle suit, and it's the costume for her Mascot dressphere.

Was going to post this. Have a picture! Pictured left to right: Paine, Yuna, Rikku.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Sum Mors posted:

Was going to post this. Have a picture! Pictured left to right: Paine, Yuna, Rikku.

That Cait Sith has seen some serious poo poo, man.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MelvinBison posted:

kalonZombie posted:

You can definitely get the key item without watching it. There's only one way to miss out on it, and that's way farther down the road.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 10, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

McStephenson posted:

I think we can all agree it's like the Sword of Kings on the whole "ooh fun, decently strong, but also useless, and also way too much work" thing.

The Sword of Kings is one of the story ones. It's either the Tournesol or Wyrmhero Blade blade you're thinking of.

The Tournesol is a pain in the rear end to make, its ingredients a combination of rare steals and/or monograph drops that's hard as poo poo to even keep straight and harder yet to get without how the bazaar system consumes items messing you up.

The Wyrmhero Blade is the one you have to beat bonus bosses and the obscure fishing minigame to get. Funfact: It's the sword from Dragon Quest 1.

This one.

Here it is in FFXII.

And in the credits of DQ2.

Why am I posting FFXII trivia again? I guess because it'll take a while before I can prepare another level one update.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The Sword of Kings is one of the story ones. It's either the Tournesol or Wyrmhero Blade blade you're thinking of.

I may be having a moment of stupidity, but I think you've missed an Earthbound reference.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

SonicRulez posted:

I may be having a moment of stupidity, but I think you've missed an Earthbound reference.

That sword is a 1/128 drop that's available for a limited time. A simple dice roll, though one not really in your favor.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

That sword is a 1/128 drop that's available for a limited time. A simple dice roll, though one not really in your favor.

It's also much easier to actually get without having to step-by-step follow a "perfect"* guide, it just requires the player to take advantage of an exploit in the combat system.

*Perfect in everything but grammar, from what I'm seeing. FAQer needs to get their rear end back to a remedial English course.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Sum Mors posted:

I still love how each of them is carrying one of Lulu's dolls from FFX for even more reference fun (you can't see it very well in the pic, but Paine is carrying a Cactuar doll). Shame none of them had the Onion Knight.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Have the Moombas been featured in any other game than 8? Pupu too. Weird that they had staying power despite only being in 1 game, while other references have carried over from several games.

E: Looked it up. Yup, FF8 only.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 10, 2015

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

It's also a piece of poo poo not worth getting.

Sum Mors posted:

That Cait Sith is goddamned terrifying. :stare:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

CmdrKing posted:

It's basically the sort of bragging rights award that's meant to appeal to completionists. In order to get it, you have to completely ignore every instinct towards completionism you might have.

Basically it inspires anger because its target audience is people who will never actually get it, but it existing at all nags at the same mentalities that would make them the target audience to start with. The game's taunting them.

Final Fantasy has been spiting completionists for a while now and I'm perfectly okay with that.

Zodiac Spear was a joke weapon guys, a joke on us.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

There's also the damnedable Casey Bat from those damned Krackens near the end of a story mandated area where you only have Ness, near the end of the game. And if you grind too much on THEM, you don't get those delicious bonus stats/levels for just going through it.

BioMe posted:

At least you can get it for free, unlike the Wyrmhero and Tournesol, which is a pain to get and people figured it out quickly to get it without much work. gently caress, you could get it even before you're supposed to go to the area it's in...just gotta avoid ALL THE HIGH LEVEL MONSTERS that will likely one-shot whoever they hit.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kemix posted:

There's also the damnedable Casey Bat from those damned Krackens near the end of a story mandated area where you only have Ness, near the end of the game. And if you grind too much on THEM, you don't get those delicious bonus stats/levels for just going through it.
Uh, what? The Casey Bat is a guaranteed drop from Master Barf, and the Krakens in Magicant don't drop anything (that was a misconception perpetrated by the strategy guide, the Gutsy Bat drops from Bionic Krakens in the final dungeon). Besides, you couldn't grind on the Magicant Krakens anyway, because there are only three.
:goonsay:

E: I'm probably coming off as hostile at this point because I'm bored out of my mind with nothing much better to do than nitpick a post on the internet, but while I'm at it even grinding for a 1/128 solo would be pretty unlikely to cap your level.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 10, 2015

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Sum Mors posted:

Cait Sith looks a little like Roast Beef from Achewood there.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

BioMe posted:

Final Fantasy has been spiting completionists for a while now and I'm perfectly okay with that.

Honestly I don't rage at the Zodiac Spear as much as I do the 99x Warp Spheres from FFX's Omega Ruins. At least if you know what you're doing the Zodiac Spear can be gotten reliably.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Why am I posting FFXII trivia again? I guess because it'll take a while before I can prepare another level one update.

So, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 9 and your own LP.

How much other work are you doing right now?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kemix posted:

Um.

The guide lied to you.

The Krakens in the Sea of Eden are the same as the story boss.

They don't have item drops.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Um.

The guide lied to you.

The Krakens in the Sea of Eden are the same as the story boss.

They don't have item drops.

Hah, yeah I remember that bit from an LP about the game. If I remember right, the OP was quite surprised when this came out. Hours of useless grindng. :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, that scene with Lowell added absolutely nothing but was some amazing comedy. And it's like, this is it. Everybody in Lindblum has a story and here's a tiny part of one.

Also, the kids running freely in and out of the Tantalus base adds some credence to the whole "state-sponsored lovable rogues" theory.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Got some more gameplay time in. By my estimates, we'll leave Lindblum in three more updates or so. Next update will be actual story stuff, after that is Festival of the Hunt, and then the following will be shopping/catching up with NPCs post-Hunt.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

:allears:
I just found this 2 days ago after I started yet another playthrough thanks to this LP. I was hoping you'd show it.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Mega64 posted:

Got some more gameplay time in. By my estimates, we'll leave Lindblum in three more updates or so. Next update will be actual story stuff, after that is Festival of the Hunt, and then the following will be shopping/catching up with NPCs post-Hunt.

You gonna show off all the scenes Of when Freya/Zidane/Vivi wins and when nobody of the party wins? Or just gonna go with the one scene of who you want to win?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Kemix posted:

You gonna show off all the scenes Of when Freya/Zidane/Vivi wins and when nobody of the party wins? Or just gonna go with the one scene of who you want to win?

The latter because I'm lazy and don't feel like going through multiple twelve-minute attempts for minor dialogue changes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kemix posted:

It's impossible for nobody in your party to win. If Zidane dies then Freya wins, if they both lose to the Zaghnol then Vivi wins. There's no way to stop Vivi from scoring his points

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
If you drop when the current 1st place person listed says someone other than Zidane, Freya or Vivi then that person wins IIRC.

I may not, since I haven't played IX in forever but I think that's how it works anyway.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Mega64 posted:

:psyboom: I've played through this game 4 times. How have I never seen this?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

MelvinBison posted:

:psyboom: I've played through this game 4 times. How have I never seen this?

I'm on Disk 2 already and I thought I talked to everyone I could! God drat! Everyone's finding poo poo that normally would have been found years ago! Like the Nero Brothers Sidequest on Disk 4, fucker went unfound for about 12 freaking years!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

We're finally going to do some proper plot stuff this update. We're back at the castle.

Yeah! I heard there was a really cute girl onboard.

We can't go on the elevator, so instead we're stuck going up the stairs.

This is important and you probably already know why.

Whoa, take it easy. I just got here.
The princess is gone! She was supposed to stay in this room.
Maybe she went out for a little walk.
How can you be so calm!? This is a very serious matter! Have you forgotten all the danger she faced just to get here!? What if something terrible happens to her!?

Steiner's being Steiner, as usual.

Nothing to do but go back out.

:siren: :siren:

That sweet voice... It's Dagger. She's upstairs.

You might want to click that Tindeck link if the sirens haven't already tipped you off.

Maybe if I disguised myself as a guard, he'll let me through.

You already know what's going to happen.

I just saw a suspicious character wandering around!

"He was decked out in rusty armor and kept screaming 'PRINCESS!' at the top of his lungs."

WHAT!? Wh-Where!?
Upstairs. Follow me.

Can't ignore the classics.

Apparently the Sleepy Soldier is pretty popular among the guards here.

If you try to leave...

As we go up the lift...

...Zidane decides to ditch his disguise. At least you could have Locke save the day as some random-rear end merchant in his scenario.

Whew... That was close.

You see, it's only OK to sleep on duty when you wear the less-goofy armor.

No backtracking.

Oh yeah. I saw her go upstairs just a while ago.

Our trek leads us to the roof of the castle.

Only one place now that Dagger can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi4FiXsnRTI

Indeed, Dagger has quite the captive audience for her performance.

[Insert your own Drakengard 3 joke here]

This is also the first instance where the game itself suggests there may be a spark between these two.

Zidane's face scares the birds away.

WIND NOISES

How did you get up here? This is a restricted area.
Come on, I do this for a living.
...Oh yeah. You're a member of Tantalus. It must've been easy for you.

Whew... What a view...

Come on.

There's six places to check out. Most of these are locations we'll be visiting when we eventually leave Lindblum.

Maybe I should check it out sometime.

The Marshland is one of two optional areas to explore, and both of them you should really visit ASAP, but especially this place.

I guess the best way to get there is through the cavern at the base.

There doesn't seem to be an airship gate connecting Burmecia and Lindblum. North Gate connects Burmecia and Alexandria, and we already know from blowing it up that South Gate connects Alexandria and Lindblum. Kind of a weird thing considering Lindblum's the nation with a large airship fleet and all.

It'll probably take a while to fix everything.

I assume airships can't fly over mountains because there's no Mist in the higher altitudes. Then again, all the major nations are high above the Mist anyway and airships work just fine. The reason is probably because the peoples of this game refuse to undergo non-gate travel.

I bet they're looking for us.

Maybe I can catch a chocobo in that forest.

There's the other optional area we really want to visit when we get a chance.

You can get to the gate by walking along the river.

The river's not important, it's just a landmark.

"I want to stare at the ugly swamp."

(Uncle Cid knew everything... That's why he asked Tantalus to get me out of Alexandria. No matter how hard I try, I'm always a step behind in everything...)

Dagger is realizing that she's nothing more than a pawn. All the agency she thought she had was nothing more than others guiding her. Just look at how Steiner treats her. Really, the only person that's been encouraging her to do her own thing is Zidane.

She's selling her accomplishments so far a bit short, but it's totally understandable how frustrated and powerless she feels right now, while her own mother might be starting a major war.

Why did you help me come here-to Lindblum? ...Is it because your boss ordered you to?
I just wanted to help you. That's all.

Zidane, of course, has a good heart behind his cocksure demeanour. He's genuinely looking out for Dagger and Vivi's best interests, and despite his bluster he always tries to do the right thing.

The boss didn't agree with me...so I ended up leaving the band.
Really!? I'm sorry.

I also like how Zidane leaving Tantalus is something that happens semi-regularly.

Yeah?
Oh...um... How were you planning to abduct me?
We were gonna put you to sleep with sleeping weed, then kidnap you. It's mostly used for kids, but a big dose can knock out an adult just as easily.
I guess you didn't need it, since I came along on my own.

I've had a hard time sleeping lately.

Heh, heh. Can't blame me for trying.

U-Um... Th-That song... Were you singing it in the Village of Dali?
...Yes. So, you were up that night...
What is that song, anyway?

I sing it whenever I feel sad or lonely... For some reason, it comforts me and reminds me that I'm not alone.

-----

Remember the armor Zidane made fun of two updates ago? Of course Steiner is a fan.

Steiner also apparently forgot he was looking for the princess but whatever.

Who knows when that Brahne will start another war...

You dare speak ill of the queen!?
Who the hell are you?

Oh. Well, in that case, can you recommend some good armor?
I...I must go!

While Dagger sings, the other party members go through some stuff. Steiner is starting to contend with the possibility that perhaps the Queen and kingdom he holds up to his highest regards of nobility may not be so noble after all. But since this is Steiner, the thought hasn't really sunk in yet so instead he just yells at people who say bad things about Alexandria.

They look so stupid. I'm gonna take Cid's airships and destroy them.

I'm gonna go tell your mom!!!
No, come on!!!

Those black mages were like toys...being controlled by someone...

Vivi's still got his identity crisis to contend with, though at this point he's more curious about the other black mages and whether perhaps they have the sentience he does.

Something's about to happen.

Sir Fratley, where are you...? I need you...

And Freya laments about her lost love. Hey, we've only seen her for a minute so far, of course her hook's not gonna be as big right now.

It should work now.

What!?
We can't stabilize the engine system. It can't run for more than 10 minutes.
Darn it...

-----

WIND NOISES

What are you talking about?
...!?

Oh, Zidane. :allears:

Wait. I-I can explain.

Go have a wonderful time.

Ahahahahahaha

Zidane goes for Plan B: Threaten suicide.

How does that have anything to do with me?

Zidane fell off the cliff.

Okay, it's a date!

Uh, you have to actually win first, Zidane.

Next time, the Festival of the Hunt! It's been three updates since our last battle!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like their relationship. Zidane is obviously a lot more forward about, but it's pretty obvious that there's a mutual attraction there. For as much as Zidane flirts with her, Garnet flirts back on several occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mega64 posted:

Heh, heh. Can't blame me for trying.

Zidane; actor, thief, eternal poonhound.

Nice little response from Garnet too; she's been raised somewhat sheltered, but she's not an idiot. Like how quickly she cottons on to the fact he's been chatting up other women.

First time I've actually seen these little action figurines in viewable detail - playing the game on my old TV made them a blurry mess that blended into the background.

• Locked thread