Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Darth TNT posted:

This doesn't look very good. :ohdear: But at least he still has two hands there.

He's going to get all the way through narrating this epic, metaphysical life and death struggle to meet with the psychopomps and wrest an explanation from them at great personal cost, and then Donnie's going to say "You do know you could have just asked your daughter, right?" :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Itzena posted:

He's going to get all the way through narrating this epic, metaphysical life and death struggle to meet with the psychopomps and wrest an explanation from them at great personal cost, and then Donnie's going to say "You do know you could have just asked your daughter, right?" :D

"Father, we need to talk."

"No."

"It's very important."

"No. Get on with your homework, Antimony."

"If I could just -"

"No."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Itzena posted:

I don't think he knows. She only told Kat the story, didn't she?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Such a brave man.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Itzena posted:

I don't think Donnie would be such a dick to do that, he's already feeling guilty. Though it would be funny.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

I don't think Donnie would be such a dick to do that, he's already feeling guilty. Though it would be funny.

Don't think Donnie knows, but Annie does and shes listening in. Will be interesting to see her take on this. Don't think it's something she'd flat out tell him either, she doesn't know how to talk to Tony either really.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This arc ends with Annie setting up an elaborate meet cute between her dad and Ketrac.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This is gonna end with an "I did it all for her . And we'll all love Anthony Carver, the tosser.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Splicer posted:

This arc ends with Annie setting up an elaborate meet cute between her dad and Ketrac.

And then the end up dating and eventually get married. Annie is confused and concerned about these results at first, but in time she learns to love her stepbug.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Now Anthony's motives and behaviour are being so adequately and comprehensively explained, Tom's going to have to come up with something REALLY spectacular to prevent him and Annie staging a heartfelt reconciliation and the comic coming to an end the next chapter.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

"They were so happy, everyone just forgot about Jeanne. The End"

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

The Omega Device is the arrow and Tony worked out how to undo the damage. And everyone lived happily ever after. Except Jeanne, who grumped off into the ether.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Blackheart posted:

"They were so happy, everyone just forgot about Jeanne. The End"

I'm pretty sure all the loose ends could be dealt with off screen and wrapped up in a page of expository dialogue from Annie.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Really you could condense the whole comic down to one page if you really wanted.

"Annie went to a place. Stuff happened. A ghost died. Lessons were learned.The end."

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

Really you could condense the whole comic down to one page if you really wanted.

"Annie went to a place. Stuff happened. A ghost died. Lessons were learned.The end."

P.S. Smitty and Parley BAM

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

maswastaken posted:

The Omega Device is the arrow and Tony worked out how to undo the damage. And everyone lived happily ever after. Except Jeanne, who grumped off into the ether.

It would be cool if that was the case and researching it is the court going "oh gently caress we shouldn't have listened to that goony gently caress Diego. We gotta fix this possibly world ending catastrophe. "

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

EmmyOk posted:

P.S. Smitty and Parley BAM

P.P.S. and dogs; all shapes and sizes

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

...is that Coyote?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Coyote isn't a psychopomp but who knows he's a crazy guy!

Also it seems weird that Anthony can be (or was) so totally ignorant about ether.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It just keeps getting weirder. And that face too:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So it's starting to look like he had no goddamn idea what he was doing when he comafied Annie.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Did Anthony put Annie in a coma by trying to talk to Surma's nonexistent spirit? The potentially missing hand being obscured is also a darn tease.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
"Sooooo I miiiight have accidentally opened a doorway to hell. I thought it was the afterlife! Really!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's obvious that both Surma and Annie know a lot more about all of this stuff than Anthony did, but I wonder about Anja. Did he not think to at least try asking her? She seems at least a little plugged into that world.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
I would say that the psychopomps conned Tony into doing some dirty work for them, but they don't really have huge motivation for meddling with the living. This is probably more of the classic "seek arcane knowledge, get wrecked" story.

Aside from that though, holy poo poo, Tony was basically learning to dog paddle in white water rapids. "What is this thing you call, ee-thurr?" I'm impressed he only lost a hand.

Grief will make you do some seriously stupid poo poo sometimes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Crimson Harvest posted:

Coyote isn't a psychopomp but who knows he's a crazy guy!

Also it seems weird that Anthony can be (or was) so totally ignorant about ether.

not everyone is buddy buddy with spirits and chaos gods, annie's been in this weird world since she was a small child and learned from the masters but in this setting that is very rare.

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
So uh, were the bone fingers from "Divine" an antenna made from Tony's hand? And he wanted (or was misled) to talk to the fire spirit in Annie, since it's a remnant of Surma?

Answerable question: Do we know those creatures are definitely psychopomps?

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 12, 2015

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The entire comic has been an elaborate prank by the psychopomps, and in the finale Jeanne will pull off her mask to reveal Ashton Kutcher.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Tony's face in the first panel :stonklol:.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I feel this is a major cop out. You can't talk with a receptionist, mention you want to talk with your daughter, then wait for your daughter to be tracked, having Jones confirm she's there, and then deliver an encrypted message to said daughter, all the while delirious and talking through a cave and not understanding he was talking over the phone all along :doh:

While I think Tom usually has things really well planned, this one here feels like it was winged after scrapping whatever idea he had during Divine. Either that or Mr Best Father Carver is lying to his oldest friend and that I can't imagine.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 12, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
holy gently caress anthony

you goddamn stupid rear end in a top hat :v:

i guess he doesn't want to talk to annie about where he's been because he thinks she won't believe it (the girl who he at the very least knows is medium for the forest, a place of magical creatures and other such bullshit)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Absolute Lithops posted:

Answerable question: Do we know those creatures are definitely psychopomps?

It seems possible, we know they can reveal themselves to people if they choose too. But for them to mislead Anthony like this and trick him into doing something that could have hurt or even killed Annie, that's pretty messed up for them.Unless its some psychopomps from another land and they were just answering the question academically and didn't even know about Annie.

Could be Coyote though, he would do it just for a lark. Or hell, could even be the court. We know Tony said they had been keeping tabs on him, and this would be a convenient way to remove Annie from the picture. If Tony is drugged or in some kind of altered state he may not be seeing things as they actually are. The court might have done this in retribution for her choosing to become the medium for the forest. I wouldn't put it past them to kill a child if it suited their purposes (and also keep up appearances) based on their portrayal so far.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It looks like Coyote's conning Anthony there. In any case, we've seen with Mort that the dead do not in fact continue to exist after passing, so whatever those things were they were lying to Tony.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that thing has hooves, i don't think it's coyote

i think what happened is anthony was selectively listening to the psychopomps: it's not hard for "the dead go into the ether" to be misinterpreted, especially when you're pretty hosed up the way he looks to be

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

MikeJF posted:

So it's starting to look like he had no goddamn idea what he was doing when he comafied Annie.

Yeah, everyone's always assumed it was a cold, carefully planned operation on Tony's part. We now know he was in a loving fever dream throughout the whole business. Heaven knows how he perceived Zimmy's attack on him.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Saoshyant posted:

I feel this is a major cop out. You can't talk with a receptionist, mention you want to talk with your daughter, then wait for your daughter to be tracked, having Jones confirm she's there, and then deliver an encrypted message to said daughter, all the while delirious and talking through a cave and not understanding he was talking over the phone all along :doh:

While I think Tom usually has things really well planned, this one here feels like it was winged after scrapping whatever idea he had during Divine. Either that or Mr Best Father Carver is lying to his oldest friend and that I can't imagine.

It's possible Anthony just "recorded" the message and the psychopomps (pseudopomps? psychoesques?) started phoning random numbers until they found one that worked. He said he "couldn't reply" when Annie started talking which seems like an odd thing to say if he was delivering it in real time.

So uh, I wonder how Annie's gonna feel about all this. Cause this is some pretty hosed up poo poo.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeah ever since we found out that Annie ripped her own fire spirit out instead of some devious operation by her dad, it's been clear that a lot of things we thought tony did were not going to be planned evil direct actions.

I still hate him :mad:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Acne Rain posted:

I still hate him :mad:

Oh, he's still a horrible father who totally screwed up her entire life in a way that could potentially damage her development permanently and drove her into an emotional breakdown within an hour of his return.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

Or hell, could even be the court. We know Tony said they had been keeping tabs on him, and this would be a convenient way to remove Annie from the picture. If Tony is drugged or in some kind of altered state he may not be seeing things as they actually are. The court might have done this in retribution for her choosing to become the medium for the forest. I wouldn't put it past them to kill a child if it suited their purposes (and also keep up appearances) based on their portrayal so far.

Ah, the Omega Device is a TARDIS I see.

But yeah, Divine happened before Annie became the Forest Medium, so the Court would have to be time travelers for the coma in Divine to be because they are punishing her for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It takes REAL talent to mess your personal life up quite so thoroughly and comprehensively.