Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Nice conversions!

I just found a youtube interview with Hawk Dave from Gencon, goes into a fair bit of detail and kinda made me want to special edition book that I cant justify buying. The vid covers the new releases, the app and Dropfleet.

https://youtu.be/gy6GZH__pHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Ugleb posted:

Nice conversions!

I just found a youtube interview with Hawk Dave from Gencon, goes into a fair bit of detail and kinda made me want to special edition book that I cant justify buying. The vid covers the new releases, the app and Dropfleet.

https://youtu.be/gy6GZH__pHA

Ha! I was standing just to the left of these guys during this interview. I'm basically famous now.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

ZachAttack posted:

Ha! I was standing just to the left of these guys during this interview. I'm basically famous now.

That's me doing the interview :) thanks for linking guys. Goon small world. Jpg

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

muggins posted:

Oh cool, feel free to link anything relevant yourself. Was a nice little overview of all the things. :)

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
I just picked up UCM and I got the little ATV's with guns mounted on them but they don't come with bases. I looked it up, they don't have bases. The wargamer in me has to put them on bases, anyone have any recommendations for a good base to use that I could order from the like the warstore?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

muggins posted:

Neat interview! And i'm happy to hear that dave consider Spiel a major event, maybe i'll get to see some new stuff or get a dropfleet demo in october.

rjderouin posted:

I just picked up UCM and I got the little ATV's with guns mounted on them but they don't come with bases. I looked it up, they don't have bases. The wargamer in me has to put them on bases, anyone have any recommendations for a good base to use that I could order from the like the warstore?
I assume you mean wolverines? I put one on some old 40k and confrontation bases and if you (barely) want all four wheels on the base you need to go with 25mm, either circle or square but both will make them significantly wider and might affect your maneuvering in game. And personally i actually find it neat that most ground stuff can do without bases, UCM stuff especially is very low and rectangular so they're convenient to move around and there's no confusion about weird shapes.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I would be wary of basing stuff that doesn't have a base as standard, it really could come back to hinder you in game play. It might mess with close combat attacks a bit too.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The imminent sigmar'ing of 40k and the cool DZC tables at Wayland Games have prodded me into looking at this game properly and holy poo poo it looks awesome. I miss Epic and BFG equally so hopefully the DZC/DFC combo will work out well.

I've ordered the two player starter set. :toot:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Welcome! May your AA bubbles never burst.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Alright guys I got my spending spree from GenCon all painted up and ready to go. Just need to highlight and base the dudes and I am rocking.

In addition to this I also have a Command Gunship and the starter set, anyone have any ideas for what I should do next?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I'm liking the dusty look. :)

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Alrighty so based and did a little bit of finishing work.

Hows the PHR starter? I am going to buy two of them if they are at least a little bit good. Anyone have any opinion on this?

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

rjderouin posted:

Hows the PHR starter? I am going to buy two of them if they are at least a little bit good. Anyone have any opinion on this?

Better-than-resin Junos and cheap Neptunes. Plus four Ares/Phobos/Menchit. Not sure if two is worth it, but might be if you like medium dropships. The infantry sculpts will make you unreasonably angry and should be replaced with metal ones post-haste.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Pretty much, although I got two and have no regrets. Neptune dropships are really useful so you will probably want more than three of them alone.

You get four type 1 walkers with enough arms to make up to two of each variant in each box (so you cant just make them all Phobos, but then you don't get stuck with more Menchits than you can find uses for either). I strongly recommend magnetised arms to let you change things up.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Speaking of magnets, what sized magnets and drill bit would people recommend for magnetizing up PHR?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

rjderouin posted:

Speaking of magnets, what sized magnets and drill bit would people recommend for magnetizing up PHR?

I used 2mm magnets (1mm thick) for magnetising arms and those are strong enough to attach the plastic type 1 walkers to dropships securely.

Anything with metal legs (type 2 walkers) need something stronger if you want to hang them off dropships, I find 4mm (again 1mm thick) does the trick although they are more visible as they fill the 'docking port' on the top of the models. It doesn't look bad IMO, but it is obviously more visible.

In either case I would use 4x1mm magnets on the undersides of the dropship as it gives you more surface area to attach to and is practically invisible most of the time. I used 2x1 on some of mine and regretted it, you just dont get as neat a fit.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

rjderouin posted:

I used 2mm... this is, as Ugleb says, not enough for metal-legged walkers, but works fine for plastic ones and Junos. I'd use 3mm, in hindsight, and drill out the docking port a bit to get magnet-to-magnet contact. 4mm might look nicer though, and be a bit more of a guarantee.

Fortunately my Odin's have magnetised torsos, so I can just take the legs off for now :-P

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I just saw something cool. :rock: DROPFLEET NEWS PEOPLE! :rock:

http://gamerati.com/dropfleet-commander-exclusive-first-look/

I haven't watched the video yet but it is a good write up with a few more details of what to expect.

I really hope the PHR starter stetch goal isn't too hard to unlock in the kickstarter. As much as I want to play Dropfleet, I really want to play my home faction!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The earlier combat teaser seems to have been cut from this video, it touches on a bunch more areas and is pretty interesting i'd say.

I also had a test game against scourge last night with the guy i'll me demoing with at a small convention thingie and oh goD THEY'RE ALL OVER ME.
I'm not quite used to dealing with how loving fast scourge are yet, coming mostly from playing Cryx in Warmachine i'm used to playing the fast guys myself.
It did end up being an enjoyable and close game though and i grabbed a few pictures i thought looked nice:

The old AT-43 tiles make work well for dzc except they come in a pack of 15 (we went down to 14 for symmetry)

Archangel attack run on a harbringer

A flashlight makes for a nice orbital strike in photos :v:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Bistromatic posted:

A flashlight makes for a nice orbital strike in photos :v:

:golfclap:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

A question for any :canada: goons who play Dropzone Commander. I picked up the starter set last night from my FLGS, I figured worst case scenario I can use the minis to pimp out some of our other games. Is there a good place online to order Dropzone Commander stuff with good prices for Canada? The owner of my FLGS said the only place she can order DZC from takes awhile to ship orders out. Worst case scenario, I want to pick up blisters of the Resistance cars and trucks for Car Wars.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Crossposted from the Oath Thread; my test model for my PHR colour scheme

Bonus points if you can identify where it's from.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Ugleb and I had a game.

Pimp your boards people!

I'm going to go through all my Dropships and paint Vietnam names on them - The Phoenix will become "Puff The Magic Dragon".

His Nemesis had some friends.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

LazyAngel posted:

Crossposted from the Oath Thread; my test model for my PHR colour scheme

Bonus points if you can identify where it's from.

I am totally doing a Chris Foss theme myself. Something about PHR just screams 'homeworld colors'

I like what you are doing a lot, but as a bit of feedback your coats look really chalky and thick. I would consider thinning your paints with more water or being more careful when spraying your primer. It'll take a few more layers, but the results will be worth it :)

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

I am totally doing a Chris Foss theme myself. Something about PHR just screams 'homeworld colors'

I like what you are doing a lot, but as a bit of feedback your coats look really chalky and thick. I would consider thinning your paints with more water or being more careful when spraying your primer. It'll take a few more layers, but the results will be worth it :)

Paints were thinned - what happened was I was doing zenithal priming; black and grey went on fine, the white skunked and I didn't want to go hunt down dettol or whatever. So attached the white with a toothbrush to get the worst of it off.

EDIT: And nice catch on the theme - was getting worried I'd screwed it up enough to be unrecognisable. Totally going full Foss for Dropfleet though.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Grey Hunter posted:

Ugleb and I had a game.

His Nemesis had some friends.

This was our first practice game before Invasion, we played bunker assault. I think we were both pleasantly surprised that our lists felt like they played fairly well, and I'm actually struggling to see what I would want to change up right now! I used Erebos for the second time and lost them really quickly for the second time. This may be what I need to think harder about. I think my Athena probably won my this game though, I usually have one or two in my list and this had to be the best performance I've ever gotten out of it!

I had fun testing out my Nemesis, Janus and Long Rifle squads. Those ten shots with shaped charge do add up to some nice steady damage. :) I wasn't sure how much anti-tank capability they would add to my list but they certainly had a strong impact on the battle picking off a tank or so per turn. I then redeployed them as the ground targets thinned out to go grab bunkers.

The Janus were more effective than I expected them to be, they might not be applying many dice but they do put out enough to start having an impact and are a threat to stuff like light dropships/gunships or drones.

The Nemesis was also solid, but I'm curious to see how it fares trying to hit skimmers with the +2 ac penalty. It did pretty well against UCM tanks although as Grey was using his Air Cavalry list he didn't have much in the way of juicy tanks to be shot at. It also wasn't seriously threatened more than once really by a round of heavily focused fire from Grey's starsprites, so I can't say much to its durability.

I did learn today that Praetorians are much better in CQB than I thought they would be as my Sirens got a serious run for their money fighting over the centre bunker ! I mistakenly dismissed them as UCM cannon fodder...

The table was looking nice with the trees and wrecked car scatter terrain that Grey has been working on since we last played, it does change the dynamics of the game when you move a bit beyond just buildings and empty streets.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I made my own template set today because why the hell not?

And i totally approve of more Foss Republic.

Depending on what the PHR fleet ends up looking like i totally want to see one based on this image:

airbrush gradient, mask with putty or liquid, airbrush black. possible bonus points if one is glossy and the other matte.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 23, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bistromatic posted:

I made my own template set today because why the hell not?
How did you make the bright markings?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The markings are engraved, filled with oil paint and then the excess wiped away. Probably would have been easier with thinner and deeper engravings but i'm happy with the results.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

New rules errata is out!

http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7140

There has been a bunch of points adjustments and some tweaks, the Resistance Attack ATV rules are out too.

Angelos got cheaper and turned into a transport rather than support category. Honestly I'm not 100% sure I appreciate what that means right now.

Hades got the Articulated rule for its tail gun. Which just makes sense.

The Apollo/Erebos got the rumoured flame alt attack mode which has 48" RF but hits on a 6 or nothing. Also they can now be taken as 1 unit squads.

Katana/Fireblade can now share an Albatross with Sabres or Rapiers. Katanas also went up 4(?) points to 37. Right after Grey bought a pack to rejig his Invasion list because he needed to free up a few points. :P

Ravagers now have squad size 3 and wide coherency. Larger kill zone ahoy!

Annihilators are now cheaper and buffed with a high power small blast alt attack.

Caimans went up in points, again. Now 110.

Firedrakes must now choose between shooting or activating their gate mode, so they can't do both.

Hannibals, Alexanders and Storm Wagon's got a bit cheaper too.

Generally speaking, most races got buffs, Shaltari got a few more nerfs. Except their Brdeaters got cheaper, so there's that.

Edit - oh yeah, there are more Shaltari points nerfs in the main rulebook errata and one more big ticket item concerning units that move off the table coming back on from reserves:

-Page 53 -
Leaving the Table, change the text in the final brackets to the following
(although start rolling as if it was turn 2 for these units, i.e. 4+)

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 24, 2015

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Randalor posted:

A question for any :canada: goons who play Dropzone Commander. I picked up the starter set last night from my FLGS, I figured worst case scenario I can use the minis to pimp out some of our other games. Is there a good place online to order Dropzone Commander stuff with good prices for Canada? The owner of my FLGS said the only place she can order DZC from takes awhile to ship orders out. Worst case scenario, I want to pick up blisters of the Resistance cars and trucks for Car Wars.

I got my resistance starter from Starlit Citadel, though I picked up locally so I don't know about shipping. Their stock was alright. I believe meeplemart had a pretty good stock too.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
The Angelos reclassification means I'll actually take them, now. More expensive than a Juno, but has a gun that's situationally useful.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Ugleb posted:

Angelos got cheaper and turned into a transport rather than support category. Honestly I'm not 100% sure I appreciate what that means right now.

It means the PHR can no longer take Sirens or Immortals in literally any army battlegroup (excluding air battlegroups). The PHR now needs to actually put Sirens and Immortals in Exoitc and Infantry selections instead of just dropping them into any open "Support" slot.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Wales Grey posted:

It means that PHR can no longer take Sirens or Immortals in literally any army battlegroup (excluding air battlegroups). The PHR now needs to actually put Sirens and Immortals in Exoitc and Infantry selections instead of just slotting them into any open "Support" slot.

...I wish I'd thought of that before it got errata'd. drat.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I did it all the time! To be fair it did make adding Sirens to your list trivially easy. Coupled with Valkyries being scouts I guess including pegasus battlegroups is going to be more of a thing.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, it's still one base per Angelos, right? You'd have to take two per Immortal or Siren squad, but that would give an infantry section some pretty solid firepower. Junos are just sad.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah. Pretty much every APC is really underwhelming for its points cost. They do give you a little more survivability compared to a light dropship but they are drat hard to justify.

I would much rather get an actual skimmer tank with demo bonus if I'm going to pay more points than a Triton.

And yeah, it's 1 base per Angelos, which is fine as all phr infantry are two base squads.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Ugleb posted:

Yeah. Pretty much every APC is really underwhelming for its points cost. They do give you a little more survivability compared to a light dropship but they are drat hard to justify.

I would much rather get an actual skimmer tank with demo bonus if I'm going to pay more points than a Triton.

And yeah, it's 1 base per Angelos, which is fine as all phr infantry are two base squads.

My group's meta has swung to "who gets the objective is a crapshoot. Never let them get it off the board" recently - everyone ignores the Shaltari player's walkers to concentrate on downing his gates, etc. Junos have saved more than one match for me by driving hell for leather off the board clutching an objective while their Neptune goes down in flames.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Angelos change means I'll probably use them a lot more. Combined with the new longreach teams it would be a nice little support unit with AA bubble that can sit at an objective and contribute to a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSquarepants
Jul 4, 2012
I recently bought the 2 player starter set, and I was wondering whats the best way for expanding on those two forces(UCM & Scourge) to build up to a ~1000 pt game? Are the starter army packs a good purchase?