Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Back on the CRAZY TRAIN - According to CNN, Fox has upped it's security in regards to threats on Megyn Kelly.

Freeper are going to throw acid in her face aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

I don't buy the "Nate Silver doesn't know what he's doing" meme. He's definitely quite competent.

Compared to the typical pundit? Certainly. Compared to an academic in statistics, machine learning, a social science etc? Not really. His methods are ad hoc and easily digestable, which is great for a company wanting to sell the analysis to the public. But nothing he does is particularly advanced and often lacks academic rigor.

He's Nate Nye the Statistics Guy, not Einstein.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 10, 2015

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Montasque posted:

Back on the CRAZY TRAIN - According to CNN, Fox has upped it's security in regards to threats on Megyn Kelly.

I can already see Trump tweeting how he did nothing wrong irt megyns acid burns

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012

fronz posted:

Does anyone have a link to the full fox debate?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4406746003001/watch-a-replay-of-fox-news-prime-time-presidential-debate/#sp=show-clips

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Slate Action posted:

What do people think about Bush and Walker splitting the field and causing chaos in the primaries? Is this likely to happen?

Possible, but after the field winnows it would just become like Clinton / Obama in 2008, but without even the drama of super delegates. One of them would eventually gain the numerical delegate advantage and the nomination.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Vox Nihili posted:

I don't buy the "Nate Silver doesn't know what he's doing" meme. He's definitely quite competent.

I agree, however I think Trump (and possibly Sanders) doesn't really match anything he could refer to wrt predictive models

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

[ASK OF TRUMP SUPPORTERS ONLY]
10. If Donald Trump does not win the Republican nomination for president and runs as an
independent candidate, for whom would you vote?
8.7-8.15 Trump Supporters
The Republican candidate 19
Donald Trump, the independent candidate 54
The Democratic candidate *
Depends 21
Wouldn’t vote/Don’t know 3
Someone else 2
No answer 2

:laffo:

Burn, motherfucker, burn.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

hes treating current numbers as way too absolute and unchanging. he initially declared when trump announced that trump would go nowhere because his unfavorables were way too high, except those numbers have completely reversed and trump now has some of the highest favorables in the party. he declared that bernie could never win because only white liberals support him (when a month early he didnt even have that support), but i doubt hillary has a complete lock on every other demographic just yet.

hillary has a complete and utter lock on the only demographic that matters: democratic party elected officials, fundraisers, and backroom operatives

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
All I want out of this is for Trump to run third party and get just a fraction of the support he's currently enjoying. Something like 2-3% of the national vote for Trump of the Trump Party would be enough to severely gently caress things up for the Republican candidate.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Slate Action posted:

All I want out of this is for Trump to run third party and get just a fraction of the support he's currently enjoying. Something like 2-3% of the national vote for Trump of the Trump Party would be enough to severely gently caress things up for the Republican candidate.

If he runs 3rd party Hillary will need to murder a kitten on live television to lose.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Trump has a better chance than walker. The mistake people make is that they think in absolutes. It's not natural to think probabalistically but that has been shown time and time again to be the best way to make predictions. Assigning a 0% chance this far out is pretty much always wrong.

It's fine to "think in absolutes" when someone has absolutely no chance of winning. Like Trump. Trump is hilarious. He's also only capturing one segment of the GOP electorate which isn't enough to get him what he needs for the nomination. He's also playing a rigged game because the GOP leadership isn't half as stupid as people think, and they know very well Trump would get destroyed in a general--destroyed to the extent that the GOP loses the Senate and loses a shitload of seats in the House, too. Trump will not win the nomination and I am comfortable betting quite a bit (and, in fact, have) on that.

Maybe we could do a friendly wager for an avatar or something? Yoogest most luxurious avatar if I lose?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

GlyphGryph posted:

What can Hillary attack him on? His misogyny? I mean, I think that's probably the reason she'll still win, but what else does she have?

Well, and I concede that in the situation where Trump gets all the way to the general this may have lost all meaning, but he's never held office and his ideas are patently absurd. (Invoice Mexico for a giant wall, sure.) I know everyone likes a "Washington outsider", but his complete lack of political experience is gonna bring him down sooner or later. Unless everyone decides bribing politicians counts, I guess.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shakugan posted:

Compared to the typical pundit? Certainly. Compared to an academic in statistics, machine learning, a social science etc? Not really. His methods are ad hoc and easily digestable, which is great for a company wanting to sell the analysis to the public. But nothing he does is particularly advanced and often lacks academic rigor.

I mean, his background is in statistics. I'm not sure how "social sciences" experience would help and I'm unaware of any instance of machine learning being applied to accurately predict elections.

That said, if you could point me to an academic who does the same thing (publicly-available predictions with a rigorous basis, not occasional papers) I would be grateful.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Brannock posted:

I agree, however I think Trump (and possibly Sanders) doesn't really match anything he could refer to wrt predictive models

Yeah, it seems to me that people who are focusing on the statistics are just missing the whole emotional appeal of a candidate like Trump.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If he runs 3rd party Hillary will need to murder a kitten on live television to lose.

That might not be enough for the dog lovers of this country

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Assigning a 0% chance this far out is pretty much always wrong.
He obviously doesn't definitively have a 0% chance, but if you're basing your predictions on what we've learnt from past races, he has no chance. What we've learnt might not matter: this time could, of course, be different, but calling any given cycle "the game changer" is pretty much always wrong.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Montasque posted:

What Happens When You Rescind an Invitation to Trump?

Looks like a lot of bad things happen.

http://www.redstate.com/2015/08/09/what-happens-when-you-rescind-an-invitation-to-trump/

using his children as a sympathy shield

gently caress you~ you get what you deserve hatemonger

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Vox Nihili posted:

I mean, his background is in statistics. I'm not sure how "social sciences" experience would help and I'm unaware of any instance of machine learning being applied to accurately predict elections.

That said, if you could point me to an academic who does the same thing (publicly-available predictions with a rigorous basis, not occasional papers) I would be grateful.

http://election.princeton.edu/

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
The likelyhood that Trump gets the nomination is not much higher than 0%, but this is also a party who had the sitting house majority leader and one of the most powerful men in congress primaried by a complete nobody. Underestimating the strength of the anti-institution crowd is probably not wise.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
What if it's Hillary-Bush-Trump and a bunch of low info voters decide that Bush must be the "moderate" candidate and support him, and the country splits 40-40-20 or so and then near the end when Trump realizes he has no chance to win he decides it's better to bow out than to lose ('cause trump never loses) and declares he's got better poo poo to do than this stupid loser election and his supporters go for Bush and Bush wins? WHAT THEN?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bryter posted:

He obviously doesn't definitively have a 0% chance, but if you're basing your predictions on what we've learnt from past races, he has no chance. What we've learnt might not matter: this time could, of course, be different, but calling any given cycle "the game changer" is pretty much always wrong.

More to the point, this election is a little different, just like 2012 slightly iterated on 2008, and so on. Bernie has a 0% chance, but it's a stout zero. In several more elections, someone like him and running from his position might have an actual chance to steal the primary, but that's going to take a lot more evolution in the way national primaries and their influencing factors behave.

Edit: I don't mean "national primary", obviously. I mean "primary process for a national election"

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Montasque posted:

Why did Brooke Baldwin get Megan
Kelly hair all of sudden.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Enough is Enough- no more Bushes! https://t.co/0k0Y0pgbhC

Trump just tweeted this

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shakugan posted:

You do know he is an academic in statistics right?

Like, remember last election when we made fun of all the idiots being all "NO ROMNEY WILL WIN NATE DOESN'T KNOW ANYTHING HE'S A DUMB FAT NERD BASEBALL MAN"? Don't be those dudes now because he doesn't think your favorite candidate slash the candidate you think is funniest will win.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

echronorian posted:

Trump just tweeted this

:slick: donald trump just flinging poo poo like there's no tomorrow

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Sam Wang's good and doesn't get enough credit.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I actually think not having Democratic debates is also hurting Clinton as well as Sanders. Right now a lot of Democrats aren't aware of Hilary's positions, which so far are actually more to the left than previously assumed, though of course not as far as Sanders. (Whether we can trust that she's genuine in her positions is another story)

If Democratic voters were being more exposed to Clinton's policy positions, she might be generating more enthusiasm.

I do think overall the lack of debates is hurting Sanders more, but I think Clinton might want to rethink having only six debates, and having them start in October.,

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Nate Silver is notable for using sane statistical models in a field (politics) where most people are insane. I will probably trust his prediction on the next president a month or two before the election, but not before then.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

echronorian posted:

Trump just tweeted this

:lol: at the imbecile who gave Jorb! 100 million loving dollars.

Bush is done btw.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I updated my voter registration to republican and am unironically voting for trump in the NV primary.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

echronorian posted:

Look this is all fun and everything but there's still a 75% chance of this being Clinton vs Bush

I thought this as well until last week's debate. He's gonna have a rough time

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Schnorkles posted:

The likelyhood that Trump gets the nomination is not much higher than 0%, but this is also a party who had the sitting house majority leader and one of the most powerful men in congress primaried by a complete nobody. Underestimating the strength of the anti-institution crowd is probably not wise.

That was a congressional race where nobody was paying attention and the establishment guy didn't care or campaign. You can't slip past unnoticed in a presidential race, and Trump will have the full weight of GOP establishment money, power, and organization working against him.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Not a huge fan of Sam Wang. For one thing, he's a neuroscience guy who just does this for fun. For another, he made a huge mistake in 2010 where his model called a race against Harry Reid by a ridiculous margin (99.999% or something) that Harry Reid ultimately won. Maybe his models have improved since then, but that sort of mistake shouldn't happen.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Necc0 posted:

I thought this as well until last week's debate. He's gonna have a rough time

Because his brother was such a fantastic debater? I do agree some, though. I'd be interested to look at Ws polling in 2000 and 04

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

HappyHippo posted:

Sam Wang's good and doesn't get enough credit.

The best part about Sam Wang is that when he doesn't have data for stuff, he shuts the hell up.

Nate Silver doesn't do that (and, in fairness to him, it's not his fault--he has a brand to manage now and he has to produce stuff that lies well outside his wheelhouse in order to pay the bills now). Nate Silver is poo poo at overseas elections. Nate Silver is poo poo at strategy. Nate Silver is poo poo at not being a tone-deaf moron. Yet because 538 is a thing now, he has to keep writing even when he has nothing useful to talk about.

He's perfectly good at predicting election results in the US, though, and I don't question his quant chops a bit. It's when he tries to play in fields where his background doesn't apply that he looks like an idiot.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FairGame posted:

The best part about Sam Wang is that when he doesn't have data for stuff, he shuts the hell up.

Nate Silver doesn't do that (and, in fairness to him, it's not his fault--he has a brand to manage now and he has to produce stuff that lies well outside his wheelhouse in order to pay the bills now). Nate Silver is poo poo at overseas elections. Nate Silver is poo poo at strategy. Nate Silver is poo poo at not being a tone-deaf moron. Yet because 538 is a thing now, he has to keep writing even when he has nothing useful to talk about.

He's perfectly good at predicting election results in the US, though, and I don't question his quant chops a bit. It's when he tries to play in fields where his background doesn't apply that he looks like an idiot.

Most of the 538 stories are fluff but Nate Silver's stuff is still good.

Also, Nate's electoral models are more than just poll averages. This post is a pretty decent summary of his methodology: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-fivethirtyeight-senate-forecast-model-works/

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You do know he is an academic in statistics right?

Like, remember last election when we made fun of all the idiots being all "NO ROMNEY WILL WIN NATE DOESN'T KNOW ANYTHING HE'S A DUMB FAT NERD BASEBALL MAN"? Don't be those dudes now because he doesn't think your favorite candidate slash the candidate you think is funniest will win.

On the other hand, Trump 32%.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

eric posted:

I updated my voter registration to republican and am unironically voting for trump in the NV primary.

Get rid of Harry Reid while your at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

A Bag of Milk posted:

That was a congressional race where nobody was paying attention and the establishment guy didn't care or campaign. You can't slip past unnoticed in a presidential race, and Trump will have the full weight of GOP establishment money, power, and organization working against him.

I don't disagree with this in the slightest. My own comment was likely slightly disingenuous tbh, because I don't actually think that they have much, if anything, to do with one another. The only point I was getting at is that the GOP has a large anti-establishment wing that is angry and loud. This wing has been around for a long time [hello john birch society] and is usually quite galvanized and is capable of sucking up all the oxygen in a room. How much of the total GOP electorate they make up at this point is unknown, but simply assuming Trump is going to go away when he can tap into that wing of the party and get them behind him is probably an error.

• Locked thread