Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Myogi's turrets seem to turn faster when it hits its 3rd upgrade and actually having some degree of AA makes the torpedo planes doing a war dance above me until I'm committed to a turn unfeasible. It is noticeably less poo poo, but still poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice
All outstanding applications to SEAMN have been accepted.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Artificer posted:

Also, as a cruiser driver. For the love of God if you see a swarm of planes coming try to let your friendly USN cruisers get between them and you instead of just haring off in a random direction.

The issue is that most of the time the cruisers go off in a random direction and I'm too fat and slow to catch up so I'm left to try and dodge 100 torpedoes in my floating brick while the cruisers take potshots at a Minekaze that' was spotted by fighters 15km away.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BqQNAY_KmA
Those were some good games, Zaius. See ya around.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Night10194 posted:

The Myogi's turrets seem to turn faster when it hits its 3rd upgrade and actually having some degree of AA makes the torpedo planes doing a war dance above me until I'm committed to a turn unfeasible. It is noticeably less poo poo, but still poo poo.

It's still got awful main guns, no matter what you do to it

Took 6 broadsides at ranges of 6 to 11km just to hit that Furutaka 10 times to sink it, and none of them were citadel hits.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 10, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

That rate of fire is just insane.

I noticed you aimed quite high, and yet the shells drifted quite close to the waterline. Why is that?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

PirateBob posted:

That rate of fire is just insane.

I noticed you aimed quite high, and yet the shells drifted quite close to the waterline. Why is that?

For that video, I'm not locked to my aiming perspective. You can free look during replays, and when I recorded it the first time, my aiming view wasn't very square on the murmansks, so I rerecorded it and used free look instead. If I only used what I was seeing, instead, it'd be very disorienting and wouldn't showcase the carnage properly.

ROF is 12 rounds per minute, which is the same as the US DDs that use the 127mms. The Atlanta is just a really big DD.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 10, 2015

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Michi88 posted:

I almost always play hyper aggressive in my BB's, and 9 times out of 10 (if the team follows me) we stomp them into the ocean floor. Tanking shots with proper angling while myself and the team burn down the hp works wonders.

Ya unfortunately thats the main issue with BBs. Other players are just too drat passive and get scared at the slightest sign of opposition. They will turn and run leaving you to bear the brunt of 3 ships firing on you. Its just so frustrating when you citadel down an enemy cruiser and your team is nowhere in range to burn them down the last bit, so the cruiser is able to run away while I reload. I've started grouping with goons though and its become a non issue. Although we can only carry so much.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Low Tier BBs do legitimately have serious trouble with DDs, though. It's hard to avoid the torpedoes (though by no means impossible) but more importantly they're hard to hit and your slow loading cannons with their huge dispersion are not exactly ideal. Most problematic, a BB should usually have AP loaded for dunking on CAs and other BBs, but AP does jackshit to Destroyers besides just punch through and maybe take out some modules, so you're stuck trying to switch to a different ammo type and then swat a fly with a sledgehammer since your secondaries won't do much good at low tiers.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

cknoos posted:

All outstanding applications to SEAMN have been accepted.

You are doing the lords work, thank you for the assistance. Hopefully everyone gave you the secret handshake else we will kick them from the clan and will strike our vengeance down on them with furious anger.

Also we have a lot of seamen in the clan now.. 40 to be exact.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 10, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
Finally got one of those ramming medals, in my Iowa.... started the game and found I had no mini-map, team melted fast while i was beating up a New Mexico, two Cleveland, a Colorado, and going after their cv. Decided, meh gently caress it and went full bore in on the two battleships after the Cleveland died ( one died to an ammo racking, other idk). The first victim was the New Mexico as i sliced him in half with the bow of my Ship, but sadly that left me very low and there wasn't time to hp repair before the Colorado piled into me killing himself and ending our run with 3 battleships settled ontop of each other on the bottom. 10/10 would do it again in a heartbeat.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I've been doing quite well with the Miyagi, personally. Even when I go for the long shots- frequent citadels and one magazine detonation yesterday, at least. And either way, its basic combat capability make it much better than the slow, weak, and blind Kawachi. Been doing even better with the IV/V JPN carrier though, with the tactic of luring fighters into AA dominating basically every other carrier I meet. I love that minigame and it's antifun enforcement on other players.

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 10, 2015

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Applied as VendoViper.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just had my team start out getting completely wrecked, losing almost half their number and all three cap points. I'm in my Myogi, but I managed to hurt an enemy BB a bunch then punch through and get to the enemy Bogue, which I and an Isokaze kill. Then the enemy just starts melting. Somehow, our remaining team just crushes the remaining foes (while one of our allies was whining about how bad our team was) and we win it for my 1.5 and the best game I've ever had in the Myogi.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Michi88 posted:

Finally got one of those ramming medals, in my Iowa.... started the game and found I had no mini-map, team melted fast while i was beating up a New Mexico, two Cleveland, a Colorado, and going after their cv. Decided, meh gently caress it and went full bore in on the two battleships after the Cleveland died ( one died to an ammo racking, other idk). The first victim was the New Mexico as i sliced him in half with the bow of my Ship, but sadly that left me very low and there wasn't time to hp repair before the Colorado piled into me killing himself and ending our run with 3 battleships settled ontop of each other on the bottom. 10/10 would do it again in a heartbeat.

I was one of those Clevelands. Murdered a Myoko that bumrushed our team, then a Kagero that got way too close to me. I sailed right past a bunch of cruisers and bumrushed your CV, and landed 12 citadels on him to kill him before a BB and Pensacola finished me off. 3 kills for first win 5K XP game, top score on our team. I'd post the pic, but imgur's getting fussy with me right now.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Seems they were handing out Tirpitz giveaway code at the gamescom last week.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

Hazdoc posted:

I was one of those Clevelands. Murdered a Myoko that bumrushed our team, then a Kagero that got way too close to me. I sailed right past a bunch of cruisers and bumrushed your CV, and landed 12 citadels on him to kill him before a BB and Pensacola finished me off. 3 kills for first win 5K XP game, top score on our team. I'd post the pic, but imgur's getting fussy with me right now.

Lol nice, I really underestimated how gimped i would be with the minimap missing, it was like fighting in the dark. I think i may have made your clev buddy mad, I ammo racked him while he was unspotted behind an iceburg.

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

The most powerful voice in gaming
Well that was one hell of a round. I was a Minekaze, and I torped a DD for the first kill, then miraculously found their Bogue way up forward (and gave him the torps obviously), and then since I was severely damaged, a rammed a full health Isokaze and took him out.

:captainpop:

Screenshots and replay below (also it was an amazingly quick game)

And the replay:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldsx1z29njn0h0v/20150810_135434_PJSD004-Minekadze-1920_20_NE_two_brothers.wowsreplay?dl=0

Also SEAMN reporting in!

AngrySpork fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 10, 2015

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Also applied to SEAMN as Tagichatn, ready to shoot some hot loads.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm starting to warm up to the Myogi some. It's still not great, but it's actually pretty good at getting to that sweet spot of 7-10km where a BB wants to be against a cruiser so it can paste the Citadel. If only the guns weren't so inaccurate and so insufficient in number.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I'll be really sad once they roll out clan tags if we don't have waves of SEAMN online recruiting pubbies that have no hope of ever being accepted, saluting each other with "Heeeey thailor!"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
I'm one of those luddites that's never used TeamSpeak before. How do I join in with people on GoonsTS for World of Warships? I see the server, but when I click WoWs it says insufficient permissions.
Edit: Thanks for whoever invited me :)

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 10, 2015

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Just had an aweseome round. Luckily in my Murmansk. It's really awesome with the +20% extra range from the Captains Skill (Rank 4). Special Thanks go to the Kuma which decided to show its broadside for far too long. I finally succumbed to enemy fire while attacking the 2 enemy carriers and the last enemy BB (Myogi). But not before sinking both carriers and firing a last torpedo spread at the Myogi. Which did sink it. :smug:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
How long does it take to level up or retrain a high level commander, or is there something special about preserving them? It seems like sort of a waste to use real money on them since they level up pretty quickly.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Just had an aweseome round. Luckily in my Murmansk. It's really awesome with the +20% extra range from the Captains Skill (Rank 4). Special Thanks go to the Kuma which decided to show its broadside for far too long. I finally succumbed to enemy fire while attacking the 2 enemy carriers and the last enemy BB (Myogi). But not before sinking both carriers and firing a last torpedo spread at the Myogi. Which did sink it. :smug:

Holy poo poo :stare: GJ

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

UP AND ADAM posted:

How long does it take to level up or retrain a high level commander, or is there something special about preserving them? It seems like sort of a waste to use real money on them since they level up pretty quickly.

Just use the 200k silver option to retrain the higher level ones, it's no big deal really.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

demonR6 posted:

I'll be really sad once they roll out clan tags if we don't have waves of SEAMN online recruiting pubbies that have no hope of ever being accepted, saluting each other with "Heeeey thailor!"

I can't wait for the [funny name] goon clan to collapse and be left vacant three months down the road

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's a gimmick with no ambitions to greatness other than annoying the sensibities of some people in an Internet pixel botes game. Once the 15 minutes, if even that, is up then we hang around and enjoy gg's or move on and find better things to do.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

UP AND ADAM posted:

It's not that long. A retraining commander has only 50% effect on skills (no effect for any of the skills that don't have an obvious way to reduce effect by 50%) but otherwise you lose nothing. If you're worried about playing a ship without full skill, you can use a retraining crew in a premium ship with no loss of effectiveness.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Ugh, seven games in my Ibuki today and only two of them were good. Highlight was being torped for 99% of my health by a friendly Atago.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Michi88 posted:

I almost always play hyper aggressive in my BB's, and 9 times out of 10 (if the team follows me) we stomp them into the ocean floor. Tanking shots with proper angling while myself and the team burn down the hp works wonders.
Extra bonus because its harder for cruisers to do those big HE damage volleys on your front, BB's will almost never citadel you from straight on unless they get really lucky or have much uptiered guns, and its far easier to dodge torps by going straight towards the DDs. You will take fewer torps if they aim right and by just swinging left or right a bit, they will often miss badly.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Clan page, now with images and poo poo.

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

The most powerful voice in gaming

demonR6 posted:

Clan page, now with images and poo poo.

Can we get the full size image you used for the clan please?

Also can someone please approve my membership? Sporks is who I applied as

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

You said the Furutaka was bad and I believed it, but I couldn't imagine how bad. :cripes:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
3 draws in a row on standard what the gently caress. They really should just put these cap circles almost on top of each other.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hazdoc posted:

That rate of fire :stare:

Also the video evidence of why you should be firing AP at other cruisers. Everyone else firing back at you was using HE :laugh:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I'm on fire tonight.

First I had my best game on my account ever in the New Mexico.

Then I had my second best with the North Carolina.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 11, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Scikar posted:

Overpen just means you either didn't hit enough armour to trip the fuse in your shell, or you did hit enough armour but the shell came out of the other side of the ship before it detonated (e.g. you hit the far side of his deck armour).

One of the forum mods has apparently been doing some testing and came up with some useful info here: http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/7695-dealing-damage-in-wows/

Relevant useful stuff:

Battleship guns have around double the base damage on AP versus HE, so in a situation where you are always going to overpen (e.g. a destroyer), you do about 2/3 damage when firing AP. But you'll do about 3x more damage when your AP shells do penetrate armour, and 6x on a citadel. So if you think you can penetrate armour at all you should always be firing AP, and only use HE when you know you can't penetrate or you're shooting at destroyers.

Cruiser AP is only 1.5x the damage of equivalent HE, so in the overpen situation you're doing half damage. Penetrations are x2, citadels are x4, so if you assume half your shots will penetrate but half will overpen, and you can't get a citadel, you break even. So in cruisers fire AP if you think can get a citadel or knock out main guns, otherwise HE.

Destroyer AP has almost the same damage as HE, so the only time to fire it is when a) the target's main belt is a bigger target than anything else, or b) you know you can get citadels (which is realistically only on light cruisers).

This assumes your HE shots all hit unprotected areas of course, since HE hitting armour will deal zero damage.

Also some useful info on what the blackened state of ships means:

In other words, once you've shot enough HE at someone to set his superstructure black, you are better off aiming for the bow or the stern if either of those are clean, since they are usually just as lightly armoured but you'll deal twice as much damage until they go black as well.

And finally torpedoes:

I actually ran into this today, I hit a New Mexico with 6 torps from my Mutsuki. All landed dead amidships and he survived with about 3k HP left. Presumably the New Mexico has lower than 0.9x multiplier on the midsection, so one torpedo each to the bow and stern would have probably killed him. This explains the second benefit of turning into torpedoes - once you've taken a certain amount of bow damage you can't take any more so you'll actually be immune to torpedoes that hit the bow after that point.

This explains a lot and is one of the problems I have with the game, they don't explain poo poo. Especially compared to how well they (eventually) got to describing tanks and giving out information.
Ships have a lot more going on with their armor and guns, and hidden mechanics like the ship taking less damage in some spots after awhile or torpedoes just do less damage because reasons. They need to expose armor values and ammunition penetration values again. This is particularly jarring when making the jump from the St Louis to the Phoenix.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AngrySpork posted:

Can we get the full size image you used for the clan please?

Also can someone please approve my membership? Sporks is who I applied as

Full size is a few pages back. I can't approve anyone now because the loving website won't let anyone approve or promote..

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I just saw something I've never seen before. On Big Race the entirety of both teams went into the Destroyer Thunderdome. I've never seen so many ships explode from torpedoes so quickly. Half of each team was dead in the first 4 minutes.